Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    All right. After much scrutiny, I think I've found an area where you could use some work, and that's body language. Your faces and rendering are so solid that I often don't notice they're sitting atop rather straight, static bodies.

Now I'm not saying you need to go razy with exaggeration and superdramatic Draw Comics the Marvel Way, but maybe just put a little more thought into the bodies. A little more twist here and bend there, maybe for example the dude with the goggles in your last post could be holding whatever he's holding with two fingers extended, implying perhaps the motion of a nervous (or thoughtful) stroking of his whatever that is (is it a pen? the rigidity and position of the arm make me think it should be a backpack strap).

Anyway, I just think some more watching out for that sort of opportunity will give your characters more personality (not that they're lacking personality at present).

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Keep up the hard work, dude! The rendered page came out really nice - you should feel better Nice studie!

Thanks
    max already made some really solid crits... so, nothing from my lazy self for now! (because, I can't really think of anything to crit actually)

I love the lighting of the little guy on sb95 on the bottom-center of the page. Waiting to see more!

Cheers
    Last edited by brokk; December 7th, 2005 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    really sweet sketchbook pages man! fuckin progress mate! lots of it too, and u were allready good.
    the anatomy studies are rockin too!

Thanks
    Great update and study.
    The study is good and you can do better than that. Push it harder man!
    Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks
    love the anatomy drawing! honestly, i don't think you have to decide which direction to take your art...just let it come naturally to you and market whatever side seems best.

-apollo
    Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Hmmmmm.... nice stuff. Keep em koming.
    I actualy am ashamed that al I write here is a crapy "Good job" comment...
    considering the amount of effort and lines you guys put down at this threat...
    Can't think of anything to comment on right now, sorry.

Oh, wait. What about your avatar? Isn't that some artist who's got an own artsupply company having his picture on it? He writes Books on technikues and stuff too. Probably you've answered this one before.... I should go and actualy read your earlier posts, (me -> lazy bump).

Thanks
    Thank u for cheking out my SB!

U have also a nice one, verry much stuff!
    Good to see that you work on ur anatomy skills
    Keep on walking!

Thanks
    Hi, thought I would pay your sketch book a visit ^^. Nice work, I really like the eye studies and the anatomy work - the 'layered' effect on one of your pieces, showing the bone structure and muscles shows you have a good grounding in anatomy.
    Very creative sketchbook, will be keeping an eye on.

If you always get up late, you'll never be on time --Broken Social Scene

Thanks
    The girl on the bottom left of the second pic looks like Lindsay Lohan. Max1979 wrote something I did before, and that's to change up the poses of the characters, twst them or bend them at the waist to add some action. I can barely write right now, juat got back from the gym after hitting my forearms.
    Crits for the bad guy: I don't care for the cliche mad scientist with goggles on the top right. Frog eyes are a good idea. Also like crazy mustash, that always works. His clothes will have to match the ring leader look, so the top hat works. They also usually have a tuxedo like jacket, with the two tail things on the back. Now I'm thinking of the villain in that Rudolph at the circus claymation cartoon, don't know if you ever saw that.
    I want to try some lifesize anatomy drawings now. My advice is to take another look at the condyles of the humerus. The outer condyle should be a ball, then the spool(trochlea), then a pointy rectangular form for the outer condyle which is important when drawing the arm. Also check out the sterno-mastoid, it should have two tendons, one to the sternum one to the clavicle, this can also be seen in real life. Now start updating this mother more often.
    Sketchbook

What is the right thing to do?

Thanks
    Ok so beofre CA disapera on me again, let me tell ya!!! HOLLY freaking hell!
    I love the last update, the fully rendered page has so much to look at,
    you have a wes like style to render man! nad you are developing fast and
    in with great style, Im freaking envious of you development man,
    you still need to work some more on you facial features but DAM!
    this stuff is really good (will pop again with critics if CA alows it)

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for coming by my sketchbook and leaving some comments, so I'm returning the favor. I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread before and I have to say that you are rather awesome. Well, your sketches are, cuz I don't know you as a person and whooop, off on a tangent! You have a little of everything in here; anatomy studies that are just fantastic, the pencil sketches, which are my favorites for their imagination and style, a whole lot 'o goodness. I'll be back.

And I love your avatar.

Thanks
    Hi man, your studies are great, I dig a lot the scorched one (am I telling correct ?). One semester down, hope you'll put down the next one with the same quality ! No, I wich you a HUGE jump of quality ! I'm very curious to see how you'll improve and I'm gonna check your sb from time to time, be sure of that ! Cheers, dude !
    Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    really cool anatomy study, looks like a lot of well-placed effort. the cartoony circus page is real nice as well. your stuff's improvin a ton!

Thanks
    Thanks for stoppin' in everybody. I appreciate the help and massive amounts of love.

max1975: Thanks for all the help, man. I need it. I'm glad you like the way my rendering style is comin' along. I hope it becomes even more accurate and loose in the months to come. I think it's developing everytime I get to work tho. It's nice. I hope you find some value lookin' into it! Check out Wes9000' page. He's really been influential in my learning how to render the form. Rusty as well. I'm still picking at their work trying to figure out how they do what it is that they do. If you need a quick tut on the stuff I was talking about just let me know and I'll try and slop somethin' up.

Thanks for critz a bunch too. And you're right. My figures are lacking a lot. And since you mentioned it I've tried to do some stuff and all my thumbnails and drawings have struggled to get to those diverse poses. It's quite discouraging actually. I'm hitting some major walls and finding a lot of limitations. Any suggestions would be great. I think I just need to be doing more gestural work from life. I just can't seem to create many of these poses directly from my head. It's crazy. So as you'll see from the crap below, it's been sort of like me hacking at the sketchbook with a pen lately. lol Angry drawing. I'll try and keep at it tho. The advice you gave is good stuff. I just need to heed it and try and get these bugs outta my pencils. And btw, the dude does have a sort of backpack deal on. Good call. Keep your stuff up too!! I'll stop by again soon.

Fellah: I did... until my final week of the semester passed... all those critiques... all the drawing progress that seems not so good enough. Bleh. Did you figure out how to bottle your talent yet so you could sell me a few ounces? lol Thanks for the support, mate.

Bro3knSpirit: Thanks, man. I like that little guy the best too.

Flaskpost: Glad you're seein' progress! I need to hear that, seriously.

Neonocker: I need to hear that too. Thanks. I know, I must be better somewhere inside!! It's like gettin' a fat kid down a tiny waterslide... I just can't get it out.

ApolloNuevo: Thanks, mate. Yea, I know what you mean. I've been getting a lot of feedback lately on that subject. I guess I just feel like the cartoonier stuff comes easier and more naturally. It's easier for me. So I do well at it and it makes me feel good ususally after doing something decently nice. Which is prolly why I don't draw much of it. I want to improve in other areas as well. Oh well. I've got a semester to figure my shtuff out. Thanks for the help!! You're right.

Blacky: Thanks... anyhow... lol... I think... Yea, that's Bob Ross... a painting God... lol If you don't know him or didn't grow up seein' him on Public Access in America you prolly wouldn't understand... speakin' of avatar... maybe it's time for a change...

GunTrouver: Don't you mean crawling? ;P I'm trying, I'm trying. Thanks for the support.

Tullie: Thanks. I don't have a firm grasp on my anatomy but I'm learning a bit here and there. It's starting to come together in areas. Gestural stuff is fallin' apart tho. Glad you liked my SB tho. Hope to see you again.

Amrando: You're very helpful, bro. Very helpful. I really appreciate it. I see what you mean about the anatomy stuff. The steronz were obviously effed up, I just didn't really look into it. There are plenty of problems with this drawing. I mean, don't even look at the spine. lol I need to get back to studies for anatomy even without the class. I learned a great deal. Especially in the torso. Your figure critz are right on again. I'm going to try my best, ok? Any ideas? See my reply to Max above... it's a frustrating deal right now. I see how Prostrate Sunrise treats his gestures and figures and mine seem to crappy and blocky and bleh... help me. lol Thanks for the tips on the toon design as well. I think I'm going to work something up with the one you mentioned. It's my fav. How about the sad one at the bottom being his depressed little sidekick minion?

Maxetortermer: The fact that you mentioned anything about Wes in that post makes me feel like ten million times better than I was a minute ago. lol I really look at his stuff a lot for inspriation and influence. I admire his skills greatly as we all do. I'm glad you like the progress. I'm trying, mate, I'm trying!! And bring on the helpz... please... I'm in need of it desperately.

madplanet: Heh, well I'm glad you found me too. Thanks for the post. My imagination is continually developing. I think it's a bit more different than some of the darker stuff around here but I'm gettin' there too. I hope you come back too!!

AldayJ: Scorched? The big anatomy one that I wanted to set on fire? lol Thanks for the post. The encouragment is always appreciated.

Cotron: Wow, long time no see! Thanks for posting I'm happy everyone is seeing improvment in my stuff. Especially you. Any critz or studies you think might help or benefit me... bring on the ideas. I really need the help. Will I ever be happy with my skill level? I suppose that's prolly a good thing tho, huh? Keep updating, bro. It's good to have you back too.

Ok... here's a piss poor update. School's officially over. I've kind of been kicked in the balls this week with last minute projects and critiques. Not really feeling that adequate skill wise lately. I want to be so far down the road... I'm just not getting there fast enough!! lol So helps are great. Hook a brother up. I heard some good things a lot of bad things this week. People tended to like my imagination stuff. But they said I drew too much like an illustrator and needed to work on my observation skills. I can't help but agree with that. As far as an artist, I'm so all over the place that I really don't know who I am. This is sort of a rough patch. We'll figure this out tho. So didn't sketch much until the last couple days and that only brought out that frustration and crap of the week... I'm trying to slow down and think when I draw but I'm just too tense... too much on my head... this month long break from school is much needed. I think I may actually try to paint some. And I need to start on some finished stuff because I have my graduate show in May and I wanna get that crap started now. So be lookin' for that... hopefully. And a website. Man... I ramble this stream of thought sort of reply... you guys must really think I'm fucked up. lol I'll just shut up and give you an update. I wish I could drink a coke and turn into James Jean. God help me, I need to get better!!!!!!!!!!!

Some figure crap... got bored with it. Trying not to render as much because I think it's my lines the I need the help with. Everything is so stiff. I'm trying to lay down the stuff quickly in some of the later posts but then it goes the hell. I just need some sort of fluid nature in my work. Something natural. I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something obvious...
    Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

I tried drawing without picking the pen up. The one on the left turned out quite cool. Trying to get that loose quality... but I think the other ones I started tightening and tensing up... They turned pretty shitty fast.

More hasty pen, marker and brush pen crap.... not thinking really... just hacking at it with frustration...

Thought it was time for some reference stuff... Reffed Victoria's Secret catalogue... with some tentacle head thing... unfinished... but... nice abs... heh

Ballpoint pen crap... was looking at some of Wes' stuff and I noticed how he really uses the understructure of the human skull and his starting point for a lot of his heads. Tried doing this and it gave me some nice results... at least on the top ones. I didn't include the random figure doodles from some of these pages... they're just crap anyhow... not that any of these are good. Bleh.

Sorry for the crappy update... I give ya'll a lot of those. I'm gonna be drawing and working more through the break so look for more updates... your help is appreciate. Help me get better! lol

Ry

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast