I hate the Doctors... Anybody else?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I hate the Doctors... Anybody else?

OK so i've just come back from the Doctor who decided nothing was wrong with my after she crushed my painful ribs. What happened was i told her my symptons, she listen to my chest, then put her hands on the ribs and pressed in really really hard. I kinda yelped out cause it bloody hurt and she asked me if it did hurt! The bloody cheek. I think i need a better Doctor.... or stronger painkillers. Any of you guys had Doctors tell you nothing was wrong when there clearly is? For instance my friend told me he went to the Doctors, Doctor says "you'll be fine" and he ended up in hospital having an operation!
    ~Lover~

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doctors told my father he had slipped discs in his back... a couple of years later we found out it was cancer. He lived for another two years after that.
    Yeah, I hate doctors.

A friend of mine was also told he had ruptured discs.... ended up his back was broken. Got surgery finally and is doing much better.

Bastards...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by glikster
    Bastards...
    Well put and sorry about your dad glikster...
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never goto the doctors, arrogant cunts who either know jack shit (one of our doctors looked something up on the internet, and wouldn't even give us the site for christs sake!) or just want every living penny out of you. It's hard to find a decent doctor, it can be better/cheaper to search the web to see if they have anything on what you have, and what to do about it, but if you're stuck with a doctor, well, I guess that's pretty hard to change...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in perfect health... so I never see them. Luckily.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is the first time i've been since i was 6, so i'm quite lucky too... until now..
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If it wasnt for doctors i'd be sitting hunched forward in a wheelchair right now, unable to move my feet or straighten my back without intense pain, not being able to piss or shit properly. (not to mention being unable to mount a toilet by myself.)

But ofcourse, i wouldnt have been here today, because i would have ended my life because of the pain before i turned 16.

Sure, it took them a few years to figure out what was wrong with me, but i wouldnt have been without them for the world.

So no, i dont hate doctors. And just because some of you had bad experiences with bad doctors,(im sorry about your father glikster.) i dont think it could be justified to hate all doctors just because of it. Because Doctors help millions of people every day, many of them doing this voluntarily for people who couldnt afford private medicare, or medical care at all.

Show some fucking respect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest Slash, i think it's just where you go. I mean my bf went to the doctors and they sorted him out fine. It's just sometimes you don't get lucky.
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im with slash on this part, Doctors are humans to and they cant posess all the knowledge in the world.

Lover if you have a few Broken ribs trust me...it would hurt more. If you have cracked ribs you will be fine in 2 weeks. But get a second opinion.

Something that is smart to do is to ask for a doctor you know is good, there is fucktards out there but they are few and uncommon. And in the usa the doctors are really carefull with tests and such and thats why cancer is commonly misstaken for other thing, they tend to care about the persons economics instead of their health.

When ive broken bones or bruised my self up severly ive always gone to a doctor and when i broke my thumb the doctor said it could be one of the bones in the hand (called somethingsomething, takes 6months to heal properly) but he did take x-rays and it showed my thumb was of and a chip of bone was floating around, but not far enough to not heal with the bone.

When i broke several ribs i also went to the doctor and he said It was probably somemuscles that has gotten a good hit ( i did land on my hip and ribs so...) but also then after x-rays it show a couple ribs that were cracked and broken.

AND

when i broke my ankle they thought both of my ankles were broken wich they werent, but they did miss that one of the bones was broken to. And that i have to live with. And they saw that one of my ankles needed operation and i got it and now i live with 3 titanium (bling bling) screws in my leg and the screws are really nice since they support me alot.

What im trying to say is if there werent any doctors i would have real troubles walking and drawing now. Not all doctors are rotten eggs so dont fucking start it. same with cops (i fucking hate it when people call them pigs) most of them are awesome and most of them show alot of respect for you. And what have you dont to them really?, you havent dont shite for them and still they take care of you. Sure its their job but im pritty sure they went through all education just because its a job.

Alot of my friends are idiots who think they know more about broken bones than a doctors so they have taken of casts of their forearms just after 2 weeks and say "fuck the doctors they dont know shit" well...those who have taken off their casts live with permanent damages today.

Glikster: im sorry about your father. But think what what would have been if there werent any doctors at all.

IM with slash in this..

show some fucking respect to the Docs and "pigs"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I got a bit angry yesterday, apologies, didn't mean most of what I said.
    I didn't mean doctors in GENERAL, I meant this London area (around where I live) there can be some ridiculously annoying doctors who don't tell you what you need/give you what you need, and it just makes it so much harder to cure/fix whatever's wrong with you. I mean, of course I think doctors are great in general, why would I complain about them? I think there's just a small misunderstanding, as in 'the' doctor's i'm sure she meant the doctors office, not hospital doctors and now it's all probably going to erupt some more arguments...

(Crap, that's one of the worst things i've ever written, wasn't sure how to explain it but... generally, doctors are good.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Without doctors, my mother's cancer never would have been found and she could be dead or dying right now. She's alive and cancer-free because they caught it early.

Some of us also have doctors in our families who we care about a great deal. My aunt works in palliative care. How would you like to know that every person you work with is in their last days of life? Could you handle watching people die nearly every day?

They're human. They make mistakes, but I never heard of anyone becoming a doctor who didn't do it to help people. They do tend to get paid a lot of money, but they also work ridiculous hours in often difficult, stressful environments with a hell of a lot of job pressure. Especially when you have people who call them fucktards when they're just trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

If you think your doctor's made a bad call, get a second opinion! There's no rule that says you have to take one person's word for it. If two say the same thing, and you still really think they're wrong, go to someone else! If three people give you the same answer, then you'll probably just have to pop a painkiller and take their word for it.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Being a doctor is a practice... unfortunately not all is known and so much information is out there that some things are lost.

I DO think however that a doctor has a responsibility and telling you that "nothing is wrong" or "its all in your head" is a very very very serious diagnosis that better have been carefully considered and he better of had you see different types of doctors before making such a careless and often hurtful remark in itself.

I also would be dead if not for 2 doctors and a researcher who cared.

Do you know that after 15 years of telling me "its all in your head" and "You must have real low tolerance to pain" that they found and removed 7 golfball sized tumors, was told "wow you must of been in pain!!!!!!!!! why didn't you come in earlier???" Oh the irony Then they found a fatal infection at the brink of killing me and oh btw you seem to be celiac and oh looky Multiple Sclerosis "this might explain why you are almost in a wheelchair, how come no one caught this?" In my case, I think the doctors I saw DID catch it, but being ruled by an HMO (sometimes an evil entity here in america) many doctors get so conscerened about their bonus/pay being based on wether they diagnose me or not... that its much easier to cross their fingers and hope and send me on my way.

I have every reason to hate and love doctors, but my only complaints aren't really blanket hate... I wish that doctors would be more careful with writing someone off, there are no doctors that know all. I wish that doctors would be more responsible in their choice of words to patients, as sometimes they can cause more harm than good.

A doctor is human, expect good, bad, mediocre, genius, nice, mean, crazy, sane... they aren't robots... yet.

My advice would be to do some research on doctors in your area, ask your friends about theirs (are they good?). How is their bedside manner? Are they current on reseach and new finds? etc etc.

It is very importance to find a doctor who will not treat you down, a doctor who will try to find out what is wrong. And check something else if their first "instinct" is wrong. When you find that doctor, sink your teeth in and don't let go!

good luck to you in finding a doctor who cares. And like tully said keep trying, one suggestion would be to try a different TYPE Of doctor if you can. Someone that might check more avenues.

--marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate all the sensitivity everyone, seriously...

And I agree with you Slash (and the others who echoed his point) to a point.
    My problem isn't with Doctors, rather with the general medical profession.
    Their jobs, on a broader level, is made up of trial and error. While many things work like that, human lives shouldn't be subjected to that.
    I'm not saying I have a better method to help people, and I can appreciate how much doctors have done to help people, but my feelings still stand.

Not to belabor my point, but my father went to two or three doctors. So did my friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If we could give all doctors the unhibitied ability and right to say "I don't know" that might help.

I can see both sides of this fence. I can not begin to imagine the pressure of the responsibility of being a doctor, as tully has mentioned. And I salute those doctors who care and take those responsibility seriously, I wish there were a way to let them know that what they do makes a difference and is more than appreciated

And my heart goes out to glikster and those with similar experiences who have seen what might happen if that caring is gone. for those doctors I have no words to express my feelings ...

--marie--

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Medicine isnt always an exact science. Doctors often have to rely on asking the patient how he feels to be able to diagnose someone.

And sometimes it might quack as a duck and walk as a duck, yet turn out to be a raccoon. or a horse. Take me for example, i had extreme pains in my legs, and the doctors did every test they could do, from poking to xrays. I had at least a dosen doctors from different fields treating me. It turned out it was a ruptured disc in my spine that touched the nerve, the feet had nothing to do with it. The doctors never even saw this as a possibility, since i was so young. (i was almost 15 at the time.) I could be bitter for all the time i was in pain while the doctors were helpless, but im so glad they fixed me that all is forgiven. After all they are just human.

Point to the story is that sometimes even the best doctors have problems with diagnoses when there's symptoms that could distract them from the real problems, or the injury or disease looks alot like something else. When they DO figure it out, they should be applauded, thats my humble opinion.

//edit: I choose to look at the medical system as i see microsoft windows. Its capable of running most programs, and it gets the job done, leaving the user satisfied. But sometimes (more often than not.) it crashes, and there will be setbacks, in worst cases losses. Its not perfect, but its better than the alternatives.

Last edited by Slash; August 19th, 2005 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i suppose i was a bit pissed off too, i've had this for 3 months and i'm really sick of it. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks though. Sorry guys i went a bit outta hand with this thread...
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    If we could give all doctors the unhibitied ability and right to say "I don't know" that might help.
    True, it'd make it much simpler and we could move onto other doctors easier, but some nice doctors recommend places for you to visit, so it can be good and bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doctors are fine, if you're sick. If they "don't know", or the symptoms dont go away after seeing him and he doesnt change his treatment...get a frickin second opinion, or a third, or a fourth. They're only human....gez....It's your responsibility to take care of yourself! not theirs......nuff said.

and, oh yeah, I hate 'em too ;p

sometimes.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marie

I think you said your a doctor but my reading can be wonky sometimes, but if you are i have a question for you.

When a motocross rider comes in broken in half (figure of speach) do you ever think "sigh..what a waste...why can they just play golf/tennis/bowling"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Marie

I think you said your a doctor but my reading can be wonky sometimes, but if you are i have a question for you.

When a motocross rider comes in broken in half (figure of speach) do you ever think "sigh..what a waste...why can they just play golf/tennis/bowling"?
    I take it that's what they said to you then Crash?
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, only my mother have said that.

The doctors have been really good with me, they even gave me programs so i could exercise right and get back faster on the bike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol good, i was gunna say, that's a bit unfair!
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not a doctor... but I play one on tv.

oh lordy no, I'm not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination. I'd prescribe 2 french cruellers and some soda or something. I've just seen many of them... and none on dates

I agree about applauding many doctors, I've a few that I consider "heroes" and I don't even know if I spelled that right.. its late.

--marie--

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.