Sketchbook: Beware of Mull77's sexatronic eyes

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Beware of Mull77's sexatronic eyes

Hi All!

This is the first time i've gathered the courage to start a sketchbook. What i'm looking for is some good C&C on where i could improve. Thanks in advance!

Oldies first:

Name:  sketches1.jpg
Views: 3492
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  sketches2.jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  sketches3.jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  avatar.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  4.3 KB

Last edited by mull77; April 9th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    More:

Thanks
    ah very nice... definately be watching this one. Well done all around, though your hands dont seem to be up to the level of everything else. I especially like the ones where you're added dark and light tones... making me want to get a sketchbook with mid-tone paper. Please, baby, don't stop.

Thanks
    Wow, mull77. Your work is quite good. I like your creatures. And nice shading, especially on that one with the gas mask and hood. Quality!

rhymes with "pie" damn it!

if i could draw, i'd be an artist right now

Thanks
    WOW these are AMAZING! What do you use to draw them? I hope i can become as good as you someday. , Your spider robot is really aswomE!

Kai's Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanks a lot!

Ferg & Kie: You spotted my little hand problem then? (not that i have little hands, but have a little problem with them.......you know what i mean )

It's the same with feet, and i know i should push myself to sketch them more.

xXMizu_NinjaXx: Just paper and pencils, and photoshop for colours. That's going to change hopefully as i've just got my first Wacom. Hard to get used to!

Here's the result:

and another:

Last edited by mull77; August 18th, 2005 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    More tablet fun:

Thanks
    real great!! i agree with the hands crit. but nothing more to add. just asspatting show us more.

ender coşkun
    my old sketchbook

Thanks
    More????

OK!

Thanks
    *subscribes* this thread is incredibley nice to look at, keep it up

Thanks
    Nice work, love the clean style! Only thing I would have to say is to really pay attention to details in your anatomy, especially the faces. Hands and feet can be somewhat "stylized" but facial anatomy has to be dead on and it seems to be a little off in some of the sketches. But that's what a sketchbook is for, right?!? To work out all that stuff and learn!

Great work though, very nice!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

Smeagol71: The hands and feet issue is just laziness on my part to be honest and something i'm hoping that this sketchbook will help me get past.

Anyway, here's one more:

let me know what i can do to improve the colouring as i'm still a bit of a beginner in that respect.

Cheers

Thanks

Exclamation

Great stuff! Nice pencil work. The montages of faces are superb! Keep on posting!

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks

good stuff

Hiya mull77,

I don't think I'm going against the grain to much here. I just wanted to say nice stuff man. I know you asked for crits but I find it hard to post any judgements on sketchbooks because after all they are the practice pages people are doing to get better. Unless I see a mistake or something like that being done over and over again then I don't feel I should say anything negetive. I don't see that in you sketches. They are quite good. Everything is done well that I can see and I'm always wanting to see more.

I feel more at ease critting stuff in the finished art section. At least there I know it's considered completed.

There are so many talented artists here although I'd like to ,just can't get around to them all.

Your stuff is pretty sweat mull77. I will be peeking in often.

Bruce

Thanks
    This is a great sketchbook! I love it I can see you have good imagination and good skills. I don't think I could be any help since you're way better than me. I could learn a thing or two from a guy like you

I'll keep an eye on your sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks again!

Just trying to get the hang of this tablet. I'm still at the point where it seems easier to do some things with the mouse still, but i hope i'll get over it soon.

More doodles:

Thanks

yo mull

Thanks for the drop by in my SB,, It lead me here......hehe

It is a great thing that you decided to start an SB,,,,,It really helps you to get a feel for the way your work is received. You will find out a lot of things about your stuff that you yourself were missing, not out of a lack of skill or imagination,,but due to how close you are to your work,,,,,other people see things that can help you because they have the critical distance,,,,with that, you know you are on your way when you take the step to show your work to a community of artists... I have had the best help and support here at ca, so many people have led me to great refference material and inspiration.

About the work you were kind enough to share.

You have loads of imagination and a strong, clean graphic style, I am very fond....... I really like where you have taken the time to tone or color a drawing to a finished polish. You also have a fine sense of taste, which is invaluable, really. Love your draws of mecha and body armour, solid.

I will now attempt to give helpful advice and crits about anything I can think of....

1. Digital coloring and digital painting,,,the big difference. I really like your color work, it is so clean and believable. You may want to experiment more though.... If you were to tackle the idea of color earlier in your creative process, you could do more or less with the graphic kind of linework you utilize without it dictating the picture.....A good way to do that is to use bigger brushes,,,paint entirely on the machine, try to avoid details, and go for a more grounded feel, by that I mean paint everything including the BG and the atmosphere, you know?

2. The drawing,,,,,I think it is rare for a person to be so sure of what they are about to draw as it appears you are. All of the things you depict are so readable, you defineitly see it all in your head before you put most of it down........That is a huge bonus as an artist, believe me,,( I never know what the hell I am doing)

The thing is this,,,If you have this gift you should abuse it in the best way,,,by that I mean really to let your hand fly around... When you are defining forms like you do in the armour, you could get a lot more expedient and less neat and it might only look better for it.. Really consider giving it a try, okay? Draw with the whole arm and try drawing multiple lines to describe a single line or edge.

3. Draw more scenes, fully worked up enviros around your pepe's and really think about getting incredibly comfy with the idea of aligning and balancing full figures on their feet in the kind of poses you want to see. Also, you should think about drawing people from behind and from the rear three quarter view,, it is good practice and it keeps you out of the details in a serious way.....

4. Draw more ethnic varriants, draw some really ugly people draw babies and children,,,,,more animal anatomy etc..

I could go on and on,,,but I will just drop in periodically with smaller bits of commentary,,

cheers!!! keep up the awesome shit.

Thanks
    That has got to be the best (and certainly the longest) crit i have even gotten. And coming from some one as talented as yourself well.....

I've decided to take your points one at a time and work on them until i can show some improvement.

1-3. Use bigger brushes, do more scenes.

I suppse you can tell that i like my stuff to be neat and tidy, but they can end up looking a bit stilted and undynamic. I've just started to try and break away from this (but it's HARD!)

The lack of big scenes is part laziness and part fear of screwing up. I can honestly count the number of finished scenes i've done on one hand

Ok, so here's my first attempt:

As you might be able to tell, it's a little War of the Worlds homage. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out but i'd really appreciate crits about how it could be improved. As i've not done many full peices so the composition is probalbly a bit weak and i'm not sure if it look too washed out.

Oh, and most of the time i don't have a clue what i'm going to draw either so you're not alone there!

Thanks
    Another experiment with bigger brushes:

and another (no ref):

Last edited by mull77; August 20th, 2005 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks
    more sketchy stuff:

Thanks
    You really have some CONCEPTART here!
    Everything looks quite unique and has clean design information, if you know what I mean. Everyone of these pieces look like a final concept for 3d model croup to start working on. As some others here, I would also throw some crits about facial anatomy, but you have heard that allready haven't you. You handle great variety of subjects on your drawings. Creatures, robots and human characters all look very good.
    I really really like your style. Keep up clean work!

Thanks
    Thanks maknien.

Yeh, a lot of people have said that my facial anatomy is off (although if you could say exactly what wrong, that would be helpful ) so i'm gonna see if i can fix it.

Face and wacom practice:

I'll try and do a few more for tomorrow.

** 3 more added **

Last edited by mull77; August 23rd, 2005 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    More wacom fun:

Thanks
    I LOVE WACOM!!

Seriously. How i did anything digitaly before i got one.......

Anyway....from the dawn of time!

Thanks
    This thread is quite nice, man! I really am enjoying all of the digital works you've got here. I blow so hard with my Intuos it's crazy. I think I just lack patience for some reason. I just can't get the results I want out of I suppose. So many people (you included!) make it look so freakin' easy. I hate you. Just kiddin'.

I do love your pencil work as well. It's defiantely a style of your own. That much is certain. But I'd like to see you render these out a bit more too! I do really enjoy seeing the variety of subjects in there tho. You've got a bit of everything. From creatures to robots to hot chicks, you name it! Keep it up! I'll be lookin' out for an update!

Thanks
    Love all the sketches... awesome stuff.

Thanks
    These are some great character designs. Page after page of unique characters, it's really inspring to see. In particular, I like your humanoid-style aliens, the Star Wars type of creatures, such as the alien with the gas mask. It's all really great. Only crit is the disparity in the quality of the hands vs the rest of your work. Everything else is solid, so keep up the good work and practice those hands.

Thanks
    ZebzFree: Thanks dude. Don't get downhearted about your tablet though. The only reason i'm anywhere near the standard i am (and looking at the rest of these sketchbooks, it ain't so great) is that i've read all of the tutorials and got every scrap of info passed on by the guys way better than me.

Anyway, you've got some good skills!

Here's another quickie from an old sketch. Not sure if the two styles mesh.

Thanks
    Another quickie:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2