Life after... 50?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Life after... 50?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life after... 50?

I had a scary though...

I have no visions of my life after the age of 50. No plans, no thoughts on the subject, can't see it, blank, zippo.

I want to become a great concept artist, designer, and do all sorts of fun, creative and exciting stuff. But here lies the problem, what happens when there's no excitement left?

It's way cool to be a graphic artist or designer in your twenty somethings. In your thirties, your old friends/colleagues from the studios have gotten better, and moved on to more diretive positions and life with family. There's hardly anybody level with you, left to work with. Life becomes work. When you hit your fourties, that's cool, you have about 20 years of expirience and accomplishments under your belt, and people look up to you, admire you, and turn to you for advice. Okay, now I'm 50. I got 30 years now, I'm a guru. But an aging guru who's already tasted the world of design, and there's no excitement left. I could try new things, but.. what's the point if I've already accomplished my dreams?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's awful arrogant of you, thinking you know exactly what that guy 30 years down the road who happens to have the same name, genes, and parents as you, is interested in. Keep thinking like that and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. You might decide to have kids, and then the whole priorities game changes. The thing is, you will not be the same person in 30 years, and you shouldn't be presuming what that person will be dreaming. Plan for your future, but don't be too surprised if it is (or you are) not what you expected. We're all new at this, and you've probably been a human being for less time than the span between now and 50-year-old you. Do you still think girls are yucky? (presuming you're male, I know that's wrong blah blah)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are 17. Where's the fun if you make plans for the next 30 years? Besides, did you even speak with an artist of 50 years that thinks that way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My mother became a professional photographer (and writer of pet-care books) well after her fiftieth birthday. She is now in her sixties, and still going strong. This was the first time she'd been employed since before she was married. Even after 50, life can hold a lot of happy surprises.

You never know what's going to happen, though. There's no point in making a thirty-year plan. Something will always louse it up (although not always in a bad way!).

Dignity isn't important. It's everything.

www.gorblimey.com - art

On an attack ship on fire, off the shoulder of Orion....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about it. With all the diseases, fast moving vehicles, sharks and crazies out there, the chances of you making it to 50 are like 0.

Feel better?

"Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE"

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    er your 17 dude, forgive me if i say it would be naive of you to make such a claim. Wouldnt it be a bit embarassing if in 50 years you were still the same person with the same interests?

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I look forward to becoming older and saner.

When you're younger you have no idea how insane you are.

You have no idea how much more tolerant, patient and concise you become as you get older.

When you're younger you're only concerned about your vanity, when you're older you only concern yourself about others.

If you meet older people and think they're neurotic, image how much worse they were when they were younger? People usually mellow with experience, not get worse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recon my body will get some more punishment before 50 (damn those dirtbikes) but your body is given to you so you can use it right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you know who's going to bust on you for such... well, I'd have to say "uninformed" notions? You're 50 year-old self. He's going to be a bastard and rip on you up and down. There's going to be a lot of "boy, what an idiot I was" and "I wish I wasn't such a prat when I was young". I'm not saying that, but your older self will.

Your brain hasn't fully developed all of its physical cognitive functions (meaning that you don't have all the equipment in there, yet). It should be there by the time you're 25, so try not to screw it up too bad or the final assembly might not fit right.

I wish Ilaekae would respond.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had friends who think they know how the world runs at 17 only to lose track of all intelligence they once had before they hit 27.

Don't be so confident you know exactly what will happen in the next 10 years...let alone the next 33 years of your life.

And for your scary thought. What happens after you reach 50?

You'll figure it out for yourself once you get there. Just like everyone of us will.

Quit whining before I call Ilaekae out!!!

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello 2100,

At 50 years of age, if you've accomplished all that you want to do, are satisfide with your accumulated wealth, don't feel like theres anything else worth learning and are happy. Then it's time to kick the bucket my friend.

Honestly at 50, I will relate it to climbing a mountain. You call see the top, it's just going to be a while till you get there. Now when you do arrive and are looking back at all the miles you've traveled, let me know then. If your convenced theres nothing more. Then like they say "It's all downhill".

I know several folks that say life begins at 50 or 60. I myself can't even guess at the time I'll be ready to CHECK-OUT.
    BP

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you = noob at life

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Breed fish at 50. I recommend tropical ones, they're pretty. Or grow a garden. Or learn about stars. Or travel. Or paint a painting. Or involve yourself in charity. Or learn a new skill. Or do extreme sports. Or just develop yourself further by reading about new things. If you think that all there is to life is achieving one dream then yeah you should just kick the bucket. I don't think people stop developing and learning after they reach a certain age.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahaha.. how did I even post this. I'm more mature than that during the day, my immagination just turns wild when I go to bed. So yeah, okay, I know I'm 17, I could die just as easily tomorrow as any other day yet to come. I'd like to live long enough to see 50, but who knows.

But honestly, I am afraid that the interest in life and excitement for seeing what's ahead could burn out some day, before I find another cause. Aren't you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    But honestly, I am afraid that the interest in life and excitement for seeing what's ahead could burn out some day, before I find another cause. Aren't you?
    It probably will, when you are that age you might just dream of retiring, and doing art for yourself instead of an employer who makes you hate it.

At 17, be more concerned with your life when you are 25, then 50. I am willing to bet you won't make it to 25 with the same ideals as you have right this moment. Lord knows I won't, I'm only 22 and i have changed professions 4 times by now.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life is as interesting as you make it. Trust me that there are too many drop-down-fascinating things on this planet alone to fill several lifetimes. If you're not bored now, you won't be bored then, but if you can't find anything interesting at 17, you're going to need to make an adjustment or just adopt a lot of cats and complain about the neighbor kids.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's good medication available against this, actually.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have a funny coincidence for you...I couldn't conceive what would be there for me after fifty either. In fact, with me it was more like 30 or 35. Reason? I didn't have any hope of living that long.

I was born in 1946. I witnessed the aftermath and lies spun around WWII, Korea, and the Soviet repressions, as well as 'Nam. I watched religious freaks kill those who disagreed with those like me. I witnessed men and women ...and tiny children...brutally murdered by those who didn't like their skin color or religion. I witnessed and was part of the social war that resulted in the fascist government of the US and its paranoid electorate beating, imprisoning, illegally obstructing the freedoms of, and committing acts of legalized murder against those like me and my friends. I still carry the scars. And the hate. And I still miss the 400+ close friends who died in a war waged by a lying sack of shit government that has never admitted its mistake.

I screwed the bastards. I survived, and thrived. And today, I am not one bit different than I was in 1954, 1968 or 1972.

During that time, I worked and achieved a bit of success in a field I didn't really respect...and never gave ground to the bullshit. The entire time, I remained an artist above all else. When I couldn't do because of distraction, I talked...loud and long...on anything and everything that made sense to me as something that would improve life in general. And I watched and learned.

I'm writing all this crap here to point out something. When I was 17, 20, 23, 25...I had no hope for a future, but worked at my craft 22 hours a day whenever I wasn't being hunted, drunk, or recovering from some stupid "interface" with authorities or critics. I still work at it. I will work at it on the day the bastards put a slug between my bloodshot eyes or I succumb to some corporate poisoning. I will not allow myself to lose...no matter what. I will be dragged into that hole in the ground screamimg I'm not done yet...

What I think will happen at some point in the future has nothing to do with being 17, 25, 30, 40, or even 90. It has to do with the act of creation that I am capable of, that's ingrained into my soul, my psyche, my body's cells... There was and is no guaranteed future for me...on any day. The future just keeps coming, and I keep using it. I don't care if more is coming tomorrow, because I'm too busy fucking up today's time allotment. Tomorrow, maybe I'll be pleasently surprised to find some more free time...but I'm not going to be worried about it.

On January 1, 2006, I will turn sixty. I'm not as strong as I once was, my eyes are going bad, my hair is falling out, and I take the contents of the average suburban pharmacy to wake up each morning without a tube down my throat. And I get up and do the same damn thing that I did for the last 50+ years...something I didn't do before. Did I lose you on that one?

You're 17/20/25/30 and you're worried about what you'll do when your're 50? Fuck it! Worry about what you're doing today. Anything you THINK you'll do tomorrow is just so much bullshit til you do it. And I expect to see a lot better work and more of it from you little bastards. I didn't have the time, funds, tools and education that you have, and you don't have the distractions I had when I was your age. What'a'fuck you sittin' here readin' this for? GO DO SOMETHING YOU FLAMING LITTLE ASSHOLES!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And with that, this thread should be closed. There's really nothing more to say.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay admit it...who called Ilaekae out?

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    And with that, this thread should be closed. There's really nothing more to say.

Yup yup

Now lets all have a parteh

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.