Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandor
    Here is one of the many bargue plates I have done. I'm about 1/2 way through now and hope to have the first set of plates completed by the end of year.

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop
    Hey I was wondering where I could find the original drawings you copied from? great drawings btw.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Study of Alsatian Girl by Jean-Jacques Henner

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Wow, there are so many amazing people up here I don't really want to post mine. ^_^ I have to learn to not be embarrassed by my inadequacies, lol.

Original Rembrandt detail:
    Master Copy Workshop

Mine:
    Master Copy Workshop

Laura Likes to Draw: http://www.laura-anderton.com

Thanks
    Some would say that when doing copies if you're not working in the same or similar method to the original artist, the value of the exercise is limited. They reason that the very qualities that make a painting worth emulating are a result of the method used in painting them. For example, the sharp, detailed, rich quality of a Van Eyck - painted on oak panel, in a series of oil rich layers superiimposed over each other, on a bright ground - cannot be reproduced on coarse canvas, with one layer of opaque paints and turpentine on a medium grey toned ground. A cool halftone created by scumbling flesh tone over an umber shadow is different than the same done in solid paint.

Of course, one can study the masters with a different goal in mind such as value or color composition, in which case simple broad paint studies can be done

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtznCraphs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Such nice, nice copies! Here is mine, life size drawing after Michelangelo's Giuliano tomb (Guiliano head)! Sorry if you already saw it. This is a cast drawing, @ 90 hours ish (over a period of six months). No other photos, it sold so quickly at a gallery I didn't have a moment to get a better capture!

Master Copy Workshop

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    posted this one in my sb thread but it belongs here Artist is Michelangelo.

Thanks
    After "Open Green" by Wassily Kandinsky

Thanks
    After "Jules Bastien-Lepage" by Auguste Rodin (only the sculpture is Rodin, background is LACMA sculpture garden wall)

Last edited by arttorney; October 3rd, 2006 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Here's one I did a few months back. After Sargent, he's popular around here, and for good reason! Oils on panel 25 1/4x 30

Thanks
    My first master copy (Michelangelo), tips more than welcome

Master Copy Workshop

Woke up this morning, found out my signature was gone..

Thanks
    Hey, I'm new to these forums (not entirely true since ive been lurking round here for months, just not actually posting anything) but I came across this thread and decided that it was about time i started contributing somewhat. So I thought id be a bit more ambitionus than usual and so started on my first master copy, by Raphael, called the Study of Adam.

On the subject, does anyone else here use a ruler and measurements to plot out the reference points for the copy, or is it likely to decrease the value gained from the excercise (I'm almost completely self taught so I dont really know which is the right answer). Either way, It's a bit late now, but I found It helped a lot, not just in plotting out the basic framework, but in analysing the way Rapahel did it in the first place. Having seen him at first glance, it seemed quite heavy going, with lots of musculature and twisting, but I see now that in fact its a lot more delicate and flowing. All the joints (certainly in this piece anyway) are in line with eacother or follow the same curve - even as far as the neck.

Hopefully Ill be able to take a phot and pst it up here in a couple of days when its finished, though to the hige amounts of A-Level homework at the moment im not sure ill be able to finish it so soon.

"Never have I seen a greater, or a more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother" - The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks
    Foggle. Why not try one each way? I think this is to be a learning experience. I know I used a ruler on the Kandinsky copy, but mostly for a straight edge. I also kind of eyeball measured the piece from my bench, holding the ruler toward the painting while I decided how to cut the paper to dimensions approximating the piece. They'll definitely pay attention to what you are doing down at the museum. If you are doing this at home you don't have to worry as much about the security guards getting concerned. Why not figure out how everything is connected?

Thanks
    Well, after a busy few days, I finally managed to finish it. It's a copy from Raphael's "Study of Adam" (apologies if the photo's a bit a dodgy)

"Never have I seen a greater, or a more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother" - The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15