Art: Master Copy Workshop

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Master Copy Workshop

Learning from the masters is a sure way to learn. Here you can post your copies and analysis of masterworks. They can be paintings ,drawings from originals.. We want to see a good copy not just a day's work , maybe three or more days,weeks,months,etc...that means analysing and studying it with a purpose..maybe you wanna learn the masters palette in painting..his brushwork..his sculptural way of rendering..matching his lines, his inkwork,watercolor, his use of composition..of the figures..the way of handling drapery, or portraying character...or you just plainly love the drawing/painting . From Manet to Monet...frazetta or Rockwell anyone is welcome..If you wanna show the original next to your copy and the steps you took..it would be most helpful for critiques and opinions..

John Singer Sargent said that he learned from El Greco more than from any other artist, and it is said that El Greco was a pupil of Titian. Oh El Greco means the Greek in spanish
    I need a better way to get the image that I use for copying printed with the original colors of the painting....has anyone tried taking it to KINKO'S??

Images were dead-inserted a Sargent copy of Velasquez's Aesop

Name:  John-Singer-Sargent-xx-Head-of-Aesop-xx-Ackland-Art-Museum.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  60.2 KB
    Name:  url.jpg
Views: 4995
Size:  128.6 KB

Last edited by Jason Manley; March 4th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to the_allejo05 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me and Allejo are starting to work on ours right now, so I hope that others are willing to join.

Just to give you some ideas:

Master Copy Workshop

This is a recent Raphael copy. I spent over a week working on this one.

I suggest spending some considerable time on yours, so you can get the most out of the learning experience.

Goodluck and have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sargent did learn from El Greco, and he was a major influence on him. But the biggest influence on him was from Velazquez early in his career.Then he found Frans Hals, whom he studied and referenced for the rest of his life. You can even see similar color choices and brush work between Frans Hals and Sargent. He always recommended these two artists first and foremost when advising someone to learn from the old masters. He would say you should study Frans Hsls then go onto to Velazquez....blah blah blah. Also research His mentor, Carolus-Duran there are many similarities between them also. Nice copy by the way.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Pellegrino; August 19th, 2005 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vooodochile: thanks..i tried to really slow down..when painting..is a different feel when copying him..I tried my hand at Sargent a few times..one in oil hard as hell...
    yeah i know that story.....I know of Hals and velasquez..and of carolous duran..this information i found on the ARC site..under El Greco Biography:

El Greco's work is typically modern, and from it the portrait painter, J. S. Sargent, claims to have learnt more than from that of any other artist. It immortalizes the character of the people amongst whom he dwelt, and he may be considered as the initiator of truth and realism in art, a precursor and inspirer of Velázquez

This statement really sounds interesting..because El greco captures the character in his own personal way.....and his enlongated figures seem to be very similar with Sargeants elegant ones..I know Sargents brushstrokes are like hals..but his figures are different and Hals is considered more impersonal, like his ability to draw is what matters to him more.....Velasquez is seeker of the truth in seeing..he is a tonal painter not as colorful as Sargent...
    the thing that i like about them is that they work with expressive brushtrokes...but anyways..i dont care I found Delacroix now and he is my favorite at the moment..hehe..so on to study him!

Patzon: excellent copy..im working on a RAphael..im taking my time...one critique..if im not mistakeng you are a lefty right..well i bet i was hard going with the strokes of Raphael..I think next time you should go the way you naturally shade (to the left)....I have the same problem..when i tried copying leonardo..so i switch to my strokes..following his sample...I think rembrandt's is a lefty ..I tried my hand at his etchings..but he is a lot harder..his strokes are everywhere..

Last edited by the_allejo05; August 19th, 2005 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

raphael copy

Master Copy Workshop

here is mine..i like the drawing..my puto (child) turned out a bit beefer than raphae'sl...i did this in two sessions one hour..each..before i started i did check for anatomy, gesture, weight, and conceptual form, lightning in separate components....so i could think of all of those when i was drawing it ..is hard..since as the drawing progress i started seing more..raphael..is so delicate..critique please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never seen this Raphael before. The copy looks good, but can you post the original as well, so I can give a crit?

I'm having difficulty gettting a good photo of mine . well, I'll post it soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a progress shot of my copy of a wonderful drawing by Tadeo Zucarro - an artist I'm not familiar of. To the right is the original. Sorry for the sucky photo.

Master Copy Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my copy of a Rembrandt painting of Alexander the Great.

just in pencil though. love studying the old masters.

Master Copy Workshop

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for joining in Prehistoric! Feel free to post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stickied. great thread. more discussion, MORE!! impart your valuable knowledge of the masters! ill join in with a mastercopy soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Form
    stickied. great thread. more discussion, MORE!! impart your valuable knowledge of the masters! ill join in with a mastercopy soon.
    Wow.....A big thanks to you man!!!!!

Me and Allejo are very flattered!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How I spent my Saturday. Around 6 hours for all three. From the book "Sixteenth-Century Tuscan Drawings From the Uffizi".

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FlipMcgee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the bad pic and i'm not done yet too. I have to take care of some more reds and the clothes next. c+c please.

Rich

Master Copy Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochile
    sorry for the bad pic and i'm not done yet too. I have to take care of some more reds and the clothes next. c+c please.

Rich

Master Copy Workshop
    Looking good. Just be sure to get rid of the hard edges of the shadows. There are some things that I noticed in yours that is different from the original, like, the whole face is actually not that wide, and the lips are supposed to be smaller.

Anyway, I'll look forward to the final piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd thought I'd post some small advice.

Don't be afraid of making or seeing a mistake. It's really mostly likely that we do especially during the beginning and middle stages. So try to make sure of doing the necessary corrections as early as possible. If you feel that there is something wrong with it, then don't hesitate. Grab that eraser and fix it!

I'll be posting more from time to time. Also feel free to do so! Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the current progress of my copy. Sorry for the bad photo. I might be near finishing this one soon. It looks good to me so far!

Master Copy Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Check the relationship of his left arm and his right leg & foot, could be the angle of the photo though. Maybe even his left leg. Pretty much guesswork though. Keep going, i know how tough bargues are - i always tell myself one day i'll finish one ... sigh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by john o.
    Looking good. Check the relationship of his left arm and his right leg & foot, could be the angle of the photo though. Maybe even his left leg. Pretty much guesswork though. Keep going, i know how tough bargues are - i always tell myself one day i'll finish one ... sigh.

Thanks! It's not a Bargue though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice patdzon..i will start on a bargue pretty soon..it has been staring at me for the last month hehe..Is a plate with a million complicated folds...I shall start tonight..keep posting guys..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit Patzdon I kept in mind what you were saying heres the final.

Master Copy Workshop

This is a Sargent study I did today for kicks.

Master Copy Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    This is the current progress of my copy. Sorry for the bad photo. I might be near finishing this one soon. It looks good to me so far!

Master Copy Workshop

The problem isn't so much with the arm as it is with the leg, but it's [relatively] minor. The legs just isn't extended as much is it is in the original.

If you check the relation between the knee and the nipple on the original, the knee is almost directly below the nipple. On yours, the same check show that the knee is more right of the knee than it should be. As such, the rest of the leg is also further right than it should be.

Again, using the nipple as a comparison, and this time with the heel of the foot. In the original, the heel is left of the nipple. In yours it's to the right.

Yours is quite nice, though. As a challenge, I'd suggest filling in the areas that are left out in the original, . Mainly, that odd patch missing from his upper butt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like your sargent copy..he is a good painter for practicing heads..this is one I did a few weeks ago..I try to match his sketchy brushstrokes..I did had a bad resolution printout ..my reference was like 1/8th the size of the face..so is good practice for enlarging..it took me many tries to get it desent..

Master Copy Workshop

I have a few more in my website..but this are some that i learn something/or took me a bit of time than others.....

I did this rockwell last year..thought i post it ..I went as accurate as i can to the original..I use a grid to aid me in drawing....but i drew straight with color pencils no graphite underdrawing..it took me all afternoon..non-stop..I just did it because i liked the image..and to have fun with washes of colored pencils..
    Master Copy Workshop

this one from ingres..to study the way he used contour drawing..i done like three of these..this is the best i think,
    Master Copy Workshop

one from master rembrandt..using my pen..again when for his strokes to learn his chiaroscuro a bit..i later did my own image resembling the crosshatching..he is very difficult..
    Master Copy Workshop

this was my first mastercopy in oil..my mom prays to the veil of veronica ..so it was done as a gift to her...originally by master spanish painter zurbaran..did a presketch to study the head..then painted in two three hour sessions..colors are off..but i learn the modeling and a bit on drapery..
    Master Copy Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that Ingres and Rembrandt!

I should copy an etching or a nice drawing by Ingres!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first one is after Annibale Caracci and the other is a copy of Karoly Ferenczy's painting

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting watercolor studies!

Thanks for joining in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bruegel For Breakfast

Had coffee with Pieter <> study of one of his works <> not intended as a copy but as a study <> I try to analyze what I am drawing in these om studies <> I can get a copy at Kinko's

Master Copy Workshop

Last edited by mentler; August 30th, 2005 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mentler: nice to see you join in..yeah we should change the name to study instead of copy..although remember that people who are just really beginners..who still dont understand light on form,nor anatomy or perspective or have no technique....pretty much copy..their drawing skills are nost as advanced as yours yet..well that is what i felt when i started drawing again...now i "see a bit more with my mind"...
    patzon: I will take a picture of the original..is from hale's book..I recently did a rubens (is a sketch of hercules)the other day..I will post it too..it is the study i really enjoyed doing it felt confortable...its a breakthrough !hehe..

Last edited by the_allejo05; August 30th, 2005 at 12:52 PM.
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some old master copies

Master Copy Workshop

Master Copy Workshop

paint! you *%$#@#$ u only have 1 life!check out ilad comics at www.iladonline.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies el norteno..where you from??
    it seems like everybody has to do that raphael head and mike's sybil..these are mine..done a year ago or so..
    Master Copy Workshop
    this was not so good..did it with yellow crayon...my knowledge of anatomy was zero..hehe..so i will probably have to do it again..
    Master Copy Workshop

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14