Art: Matte painting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Matte painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Matte painting

This is my first attempt at a matte painting and was wondering if I could get some crits on it. I'm a wee bit of a rookie when it comes to this sort of thing, so please let me know anywhere I can improve.

Matte painting

Thanks so much

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, im not much of a photoshop pro but, i could point oout some things that look out of place.. for starters the mountains in the forground are way too sharp in comparison to the rest of the painting... i think there needs to be a more hazey feel in order for it to fit.. its a very dark setting and the only light that we see is the light from the far background and a small light that we should get from the fire... yet, the whole front side of the forground mountains are illuminated.... look at the way you handled the midground mountains... very dark... the forground mountains should take on the same approach with some light near the fire... a fire isnt a spotlight where the diameter of surface illuminated is large... most of the illumination will most likely be above the fire and some around the edges and on the ground... Also, talking about the fire... I think that you may have try to tackle to very difficult substance the first time around... the way it stands now it doesnt make me believe that, that fire is real nor does it compliment the composition... perosnally I would scrap it... and the size of it is immense when you look at it proportionally to the rest of the painting..... My absolute favorite parts of this right now are the sky (which i think you handled beautifully) and the midground mountains... Also, now that I am looking at the forground mountains they dont seem to have the same color as the midground and background mountains... this may help this set of mountains come to life... I would suggest if you wanted to add some light somewhere.. i would add a light coming from the ends of the mountains... as if the bridge were leading into dwelling caves.... anyways.. i think i have exhausted you with my crits.. i hope you dont hate me now.. its really lovely... keep on working on it.. and keep on posting.... ciao

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent, thank-you so much, Vigo. That is the sort of stuff I was looking for as I'm quite a newbie at this sort of thing. I will definitely look at the issues you brought up and re-post.

Thank-you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh, what a relief.. i was scared that you were going to say something like "WTF is this scrub talking about... he du-no-shit!!! glad i can help man..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mountain Critique

One suggestion that immediately comes to mind is prep. If you want to paint matte paintings look at your subject matter. Get lots of photos. I would say the two main things that I notice that photos would help with are change tone as the moutains go away from you first darker to lighter but also from the foreground color to a more blue (generally blue but could be another tone) haze toward toward the background. The other would be perhaps showing a distance between the mountains, such as a valley...this creates distance and relationship. they are a bit flat right now. Again, find some good pictures of the Andes and you will see what I mean. As for the fire and the bridge in the forground. I would say you need to decide what it is that you are doing a matte painting of. That is to say that if it is to illustrate the structures, then they need to be more dominate and in the immediate forground more...if more the mountains, then not larger but perhaps more structure to them so they seem like part of a large piece and not just floating elements. Anyway, hope this helps. Keep up the work.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.