Art: Clint Eastwood - 6th karikamania contest
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Clint Eastwood - 6th karikamania contest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clint Eastwood - 6th karikamania contest

The next victim is Clint Eastwood; prize is a digital print from the drawing below. Hope you have fun partišipating and distorting Dirty Harry, just make my day ;D

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm...I saw the reference you used for this, and I see where you got your exaggerations from, but for some reason it doesn't feel like clint eastwood. Academically I think you did the big things right, but for some reason I just don't feel this one. I say a big part holding this one back is the rendering...you tried to show wrinkles, but they look more like veins, mainly because they don't seem to echo the planes of the face. Kinda chaotic, which is good for veins and not so good for wrinkles. That weathered look is important for the older clint eastwood. I say experiment with different brushes to try to get that roughness, like you could grate cheese on it. I'd go ahead and spend the serious time it takes to bring all those wrinkles out and make it almost dominant. I just think that the face is too smooth and simplified to reflect the older eastwood. If you were trying to change it to a younger one, then I'd use more young eastwood reference, which really looks like a different face.

Also, watch the details. The mole is on the wrong side of his face. The reference you used was reversed. Gotta be careful about that. Compositionally The smoke from the gun leads the eye right out of the picture. Andrew Loomis wouldn't be happy with this and would tell you to encoutage more of a compositional flow so we can take everything in and remember it. After all, I think we all wanna make memorable art. Quality-wise I'd say this one's about mid-range for you. You've done better and you've done worse. Hope you at least learned from doing it. Keep jackin' people up!

p.s.-Are you familiar with fluck and law? Your stuff reminds me of them a little, probably just the puppet feel you give your people. Check 'em out if you haven't already.

Last edited by theincredibleandy; August 21st, 2005 at 01:30 AM.
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.