Thanks

250 miles per gallon

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    must have.. MUST HAVE!
    My work: [link]

Hmmm...
    From what I've been told by my engineer friend(works for PontiacToyotaGM) Hybrid cars are less cost effective due to battery replacement. So the cost of replacing the battery is more expensive than the sum total of gas that you would use. I don't know if this goes for the modified car as well...but it looks like the same concept...just with more batteries

Thanks
    See, what I heard was that in California or something, they were trying to tax the miles you drive your car. Like you would have to declare it on annual taxes. The reason? because of the popularity of hybrid cars, there isn't as much money coming in through gas. I know, it doesn't make to much sense.

We need more things that can go 250 miles a gallon. Stupid fucking SUVs.
    HBs are for little girly girls. Be a man, keep it soft.

Thanks

Lightbulb

britt: heh, the point isn't really to be cheaper than petrol (gas) ... although that can be a happy side effect ... the main point of hybrid cars is lower nasty emissions, they're more environmentally friendly.
    250mpg sounds good! Last time I was out driving I checked the consumption, I got about 45mpg over 300 miles. Nice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoP
    britt: heh, the point isn't really to be cheaper than petrol (gas) ... although that can be a happy side effect ... the main point of hybrid cars is lower nasty emissions, they're more environmentally friendly.
    250mpg sounds good! Last time I was out driving I checked the consumption, I got about 45mpg over 300 miles. Nice.
    But the problem is still there. It has just moved a bit.
    Instead of getting emissions from the car you get the emsiions from the electricity distributor. And IIRC we have about 5 - max 20 % of "green energy" (depending on region).
    So, yes your car has less emissions but you still need the energy from some other type of source that is (for the biggest part) not enviromentally friendly.
    yeah, less oil but my car drives on plutoium .

Thanks
    People tend to forget that the energy in batteries still has to come from somewhere.

"In thermal power stations, mechanical power is produced by a heat engine, which transforms thermal energy, often from combustion of a fuel, into rotational energy."

Thanks
    I dread to think about the mass amount of batteries being discarded here and there (soil, water contamination, lead all over.)...

Thanks
    damn, i never thought about the battery waste and the electric waste created by power plants to power up the cars..
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Hmm...well, the batteries aren't traditional batteries from what I understand. Don't they all use some sort of fuel cell rather than "batteries?" I don't think they have like "HHH" type batteries or stuff like that, but maybe...
    And fuel cell cars, I guess those are differant. Finland or something like that now has the infrastructure and everything for fuel cell cars (hydrogen fuel cells) and I've heard of a couple of European countries that have a couple fleets of electric busses.

..and powerplants are differnat than batteries. Batteries have energy created by a chemical reaction between the components inside...which is why they die out, and why they are dangerous (battery acid anyone). Recharable things are able to retain a charge. Hydrogen in fuel cells needs electricity to be produced (you can make it yourself! Electrolysis of water only needs a tank of water and a current running through it. The bubbles the come off of the ends are hydrogen and oxygen gas = *boom*)

I think the real advantage of electric and fuel cell cars is the emissions, cars still produce huge amounts of yucky stuff. And the power plants, from what i understand, typically produce huge amounts of excess energy; if the power grid of say, the US, was properly utilized, then we wouldn't need much more the power all of our electric cars.

of course, i could be mislead in all of my misty knowledge. Correct me if i am wrong, please.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    Wow. I think I get about 15mpg. damn Cadillac be the death of me...

Thanks
    Man, i must get a car like that.

Just so i can rip the shit out of nature in my motorcycle (2stroke) and still feel good about my self.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Target
    Hmm...well, the batteries aren't traditional batteries from what I understand. Don't they all use some sort of fuel cell rather than "batteries?" I don't think they have like "HHH" type batteries or stuff like that, but maybe...
    And fuel cell cars, I guess those are differant. Finland or something like that now has the infrastructure and everything for fuel cell cars (hydrogen fuel cells) and I've heard of a couple of European countries that have a couple fleets of electric busses.

..and powerplants are differnat than batteries. Batteries have energy created by a chemical reaction between the components inside...which is why they die out, and why they are dangerous (battery acid anyone). Recharable things are able to retain a charge. Hydrogen in fuel cells needs electricity to be produced (you can make it yourself! Electrolysis of water only needs a tank of water and a current running through it. The bubbles the come off of the ends are hydrogen and oxygen gas = *boom*)

I think the real advantage of electric and fuel cell cars is the emissions, cars still produce huge amounts of yucky stuff. And the power plants, from what i understand, typically produce huge amounts of excess energy; if the power grid of say, the US, was properly utilized, then we wouldn't need much more the power all of our electric cars.

of course, i could be mislead in all of my misty knowledge. Correct me if i am wrong, please.
    Both, the article above mentions a Toyoto Prius that was modded.
    They added extra batteires that are charged by plugging the car into a wall outlet.
    So the basic Prius is really saving energy but the modded version is just getting the additional energy from somewhere else so it most probably (on the average) getting extra energy from radioactive material.
    So in the end the car is actively using even less gas than a normal Prius but it is another piece of "excelent human engineering" that is using radioactivity to work.
    IMO that´s not really an improvement.

Thanks
    Well, really than I guess we need to make improvements on where we get power from...the fixes need to be made at the power plants. I mean, cars are horrible sources of pollution, but power plants aren't helping.

I guess I wouldn't mind radioactivity and nuclear power plants...except A) they are dangerous and B) the waste they produce, which is really the problem. Where the hell are our uber smart scientists figuring this shit out. Damn prescription drugs taking all of thier time. It isn't hard to happy when we are healthy, damnit!