Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: intro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts

intro

Painter 7 is the first program I open in the morning and the last program I close before I go to sleep.
    While I was at Siggraph last week I met with Wesley Pack Graphics Manager of Procreate , he was very helpfull in anwsering all my painter 7 questions, and very excited to hear my feedback on his software. I encourage everyone to share thier experience with painter 7 here, whats your favorite thing about it? how does it apply to your workflow? and what kind of features would you like to see added to Painter 8? if you have questions about painter 7, or have found problems with it you would like to adress, this is the place for that too.

Painter 7 is my bread and butter when it comes to digital art. I dont know what I would do without it. With our feedback we can help Wesley make the next painter even more groundbreaking than the previous version.

thanks

Android
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quick edit for Josh, You can reload previous version brushes I think.. Have you tried that yet??? Give it a shot..

One of my biggest problems.. is the menu sizes..

You can't colapse them horizontally only vertically to make for more workspace area... I constantly use the layers menu so I dont like to close it.. *havent bother to learn hot keys* but it would be nice if I could decrease the size of the menus.

I have to use it later today and post some ideas... cause I always have ideas...

OH! I like to load custom pallettes, but everytime I close the program I have to reload them, and I tried saving my layout, but when I load that layout, it just opens up the default pallete, and none of the other ones.. Any ideas?

Question about wet paint.. for some odd reason when I use the wet brushes and make a long stroke it takes a huge amount of time to load.. Anythoughts? *Ill try and come up with a more indepth description of the situation*

Layers menu: I like how in photoshop you can combine 2 layers, merge visible etc.. With Painter its very difficult.. you have to drop them to the canvas or cut and paste.. etc.. very agitating.. That would be a nice fix to have... *jsut thoughts*

*thinks of more*
    Last edited by Deth Jester; July 31st, 2002 at 08:07 PM.
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    painter 7. i guess i hate change, but i have a system that works in painter6, and none of the features i used are present on seven. i HATE the watercolor tool, and HATE the necessity for layers. i like my digital paintings short and sweet, and it seems painter 7 takes all the short and sweet out of it...if i wanted to spend time rendering, i'd do it traditionally. the same could be said about photoshop 7. i think the brush engine sucks ass, did anyone else use spacing? im a grumpy old man, and i long for the good old days.

Thanks
    man...ya gotta learn the hotkeys. i'm liking P7 just fine. As a matter of fact...i never open up Pshop any more.

Thanks
    I have never used painter 7 but I get it in like 5 days. Does it have like layers like in photoshop and how is it as far as undos is it like unlimited?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    its not about the hotkeys. its the discontinuation of certain features that sucks.

Thanks

oh boy

. change can be scary but can also take your work to new directions if you let it. There are alot of things about 6 I liked too, in fact I still use 6 sometimes, the old water color brush was cool and I miss it but if you spend some more time the new water color brush in 7 its amazing, it behaves so organicly, my advice is start off slow, I use the wet eraser brush, set it to default settings, chose colors very light colors cuz they will turn out darker on the canvas. start experimenting with the water menu under the brush options, the dry rate is the money bar , moving this back and forth will significantly cut down the amount of time it takes to make the calculation, move the pickup and evaporation bars aroud too. yes this version of painter is more complicated but its worth it. its like a musical instrument you have to tune first but once you figured it out its rock and roll time, once you master the difference, the painter 7 watercolor tool is like an electric gutiar, and it makes painter 6 water colors look more like a banjo. if your stuck on the old watercolor tool, experiment with the tinting tool in seven, create a seperate layer above the canvas> set it to gel or multiply> paint on that layer with the tinting tool and it behaves very similar to the .
    Coro I can tell by the way you jugle traditional media from ink to spraypaint to oils that you are a master of tools, treat the water color like a new tool instead of comparing it to the old one and Im sure you will be able to create some mind blowing stuff.

Thanks
    Like some one else stated I would like it if the layers behaved a bit more like the Photoshop layering system...complete with thumbnails.

This is not so much a new painter version question but a painter question in general...I tend to find painting in Painter to be a bit more sloppy then photoshop...any suggestions on how to make things a bit more consciece when painting in painter7?

Thanks
    every time you open painter 7 open brush tracking under the prefrences, start drawing inside the box, this lets painter 7 get to know what kind of artist you are and how you make your strokes, I always open it up and draw something like an eyeball or a skull real fast and it tunes itself to the pressure I am custom to using with the wacom, I find painter to be infantly more sensative that photo-crop, I mean photoshop(just kidding, I love photoshop too, but I wont ever paint with it)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    It's official... This forum is now complete!

When I work digitally I work exclusively with Painter. I've owned versions; classic, 4,5,6, and now 7. All of the digital artwork on my webpage was done with either Painter 6 or 7. This is a great idea!

I think it should also be encouraged, that if people want to share any of there tools, they should advertise it here. I'm always on the look out for whatever cool brushes people may make and put up on the web. When in doubt, you can count on at least me being interested. I've made my own brushes available on my website too.

I guess few complaints about Painter 7 would be, as was previously mentioned, the lack of Painter 6's water color brushes. Particularly the broad water brush. I really liked making washes with that and have had a really hard time imitating it with other brushes.

Also, I don't like how you can no longer merge layers that are set to different modes. You have to change them to the default in order to collapse them together. I work alot with shadow map layers and for the sake of simplicity, I'd like to be able to collapse my shadow-map greyscale layers together.

anyway, again, Awesome idea, Android. I'll be sure to stop in often.

Noel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Oh. A quick question; Where does one inquire about becoming a beta tester?
    Last edited by N D Hill; August 1st, 2002 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    I really think Painter could have a simpler interface. If they improve that aspect of the program more people will look forward to learning new versions.

Thanks

Scripting feature

I'm the kind that uses a lot of software and while i'm just learning my way in painting I'm in need of demos

Imagine how this virtual school would look if the teachers could see the way I draw, and I could see a demo in exchange.
    I don't think it's much trouble to make something like collect for output in the script area to gather all the needed data for a script to work on other computers.
    Something to gather the images I use and everything in a folder and.. make it work there. You get the point.

Oblio

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast