My First thread, my drawings need feedback!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

All right, this is my first try at this place, so if I screw up on anything, then.. my bad. =P

Hm, okay, just recently I decided to draw a gemsbok antelope, and to challenge myself a little I turned it from standing on all four, to prouncing. I'm a bit unhappy about how the hoves and horns turned out, but it turned out pretty okay. Any ideas how to make him more realistic?

And now just some random drawings I've done the past years, the ones I like the most. =P.. I'm working on anathomy pretty much, so if you have any ideas on how to make it look better, please tell! =)

Okay, here I tried to follow some pointers from an animator video, only I colored the horse in Photoshop instead of using pencils.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking nice, very nice work on the horses. I guess I would say practice alot more with basic anatomy if you want to get good with the human form, there's not really a short cut, just anatomy, life drawing, and still lifes are my advice.

oh yeah, welcome to to Ca.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'sup, Cam! Heard you had joined from Shin. Thought I'd check in on ya

Nice clean lines. I'll give ya some real crits later.. just wanted to say hi and welcome to CA!

peace

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have only one crit to give you, and my credibility here is rather low, so trust me on this. But that last pic, the guy's legs are too skinny. I'd suggest making them wider, because they are of about the same thickness as his arms, which should not be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again. Had a thought on your antelope. Some rendering of form would make it look more realistic. If you pick a lightsource for yourself, and try to render out shadows on it from that, it'll add form, and thus it'll look more realistic. Also, you could check your lineweight. Like the hind legs, they look like they're on the same plane, and the back of the front thight, and the front of the back (phew... kinda hard to explain...heh) are tangential (not sure if this is the right word), so they're hard to seperate.

If any of this didn't make sense (if any of it DID at all), PM me and I'll try to explain..hehe.

I'm diggin' on the horse from '03, the one staring off into the distance.

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cam!
    I'm glad you finally decided to post some stuff up in this place. Serious critique and feedback are good for us artists.
    <i'm gonna start using this place myself as soon as I've got internet back on my puter, but only the gods know when that will be.

Anyway... time for some critique..

The Antelope turned out really good. Beatifully made. Very powerful and majestic. It does however look.. well.. a little flat. And I think it is because of the shadows. So I think you should do some light and shadow studies.
    Light some stuff up, and see how the shadows work.
    Now... I think that was more or less what dCept said, only he explained it with more depth... so.. yeah! Shadows!

The furry with the guitars looks really good. Not much to say on him really, 'cept for his hands and feet.
    You know about the hands, for so you told me, but his shoes also look sort... not completely right.

I love your horses. Your getting real good at making them! hehe.. And you've made them for a long time too, right? Sort of like with me and swords. ;P
    I love coloured one. Looks really Disney

And the bat. Well.. I like the bat very much. The wings are awesome, and that evil little face of his cracks me up.
    He could perhaps need a little more detail on his body, though. Some more fur and stuff. And maybe some blood veins or something in his wings.

As for the last guy, I agree with Stupidude666 on the legs.They're too skinny. And the highlights in his hair, while good, look kind of wrong.
    The small one looks ok, but the big one looks sort of out of place. I'm not 100% certain on what's wrong with it, but something is.

Anyway... that's all for now! good job!
    See ya later! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all very much!^^
    Hm, yeah, I do remember the thing about the same thickness of the arms and legs, now. -_- Typical to remember things afterwards. =P

Hm, do any of you got any good tutorials or tips on how to do more advanced photoshop coloring? The best coloring I can do, is how that guy is colored. and that's not really any good at all, compared to what other fancy stuff you can put on to make it way way better.

Oh, and how do you get the lines so clean, when scanning and fixing in Photoshop? I know about inking, but my inking always gets thick and thin lines at random places. How to get a clean nice line overall?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting your lines clean the good 'ol fashioned way: practice practice practice! My linequality/lineweight was all screwed up not so long ago. I'm still working on it in every drawing I do, but as I'm saying.. practice. I think there are some tutorials on it in the tips&tricks-section here. One thing to remember is bold lines read as being in front of thinner lines.
    Do you have a tablet, or are you using a mouse when you working in PS?
    I'm not too familiar with photoshop, but I think there are options to get curves with control points if you want 'em curved, and if you hold down shift while pulling a line you get a completely straight one.

Keep those pictures coming!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

nice stuff. you should check out leonardo da vinci's horse sketches if you havent already. your drawings look a little tedious and time consuming though. i realize these are probably just studies, but try loosening up and drawing freely. you'll definitely need to if your thinking of doing animation. i assume you meant 2d. if not, it still wouldnt hurt to draw quick little sketches of motion studies over and over. they say if you can do 2d animation well, you can do 3d with less trouble.
    problem with that last dude though; with his left leg bent, his weight is gonna be shifted onto his right leg. the way he is right now looks like he's about to taste pavement. here is a little sketch by old leo da vinci showing the way it should look. notice the position of the foot in relation to the head. bridgman's anatomy covers the same thing i think.

overall it's good stuff. you have a good eye. line quality will improve the more you draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ROCK ON

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidude666
    I have only one crit to give you, and my credibility here is rather low, so trust me on this. But that last pic, the guy's legs are too skinny. I'd suggest making them wider, because they are of about the same thickness as his arms, which should not be.
    uhh.. have you ever seen an emo boy in tight jeans? haha

your pencils are nice, and i was pleasantly suprised to not see any anime-esque style pictures when the thread was loading.. all until the second pic oh well not that its bad, its just really.. well, cliched.

this pic is pretty hot stuff. i think the style suits you. granted, its not very original (im pretty sure thats some disney stuff.. scuse me if im mistaken), but its something you can most certainly do. props for roughing out the shape and finding the form before rendering.

keep at it, youre sure to improve if you soak in all thats given to you and apply it to your works in future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spirit: Stallion of the Simaron was not Disney.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks again people, this is So helpful for me! Thanks a lot!

I'm happy to hear that you, Stupidude666, thinks that the more cartoon styleish way suits me. It's pretty much what I'm trying to learn more of, though it's the way I've been drawing just about all my life.
    I used to draw a lot of dogs and cats in cartoon forms when I was younger, then I stopped drawing for a while, and started on some years ago with trying to draw realistic things...
    Anyways, I can do some more of that in all shapes and sizes for a while now, so I have some more to show. =)
    You're a smart one too, the cartoon horse is indeed a Spirit. =P I just used some darker colors on him. DreamWorks product, no Disney. =)

melvin, I surtently see your point about the resting leg thingy! Damn! Thanks for the tip, I'll remember it to next time.^^

Oh, and yessss, I'll practice on the shading...rawr.

dCepT! Thanks for the helping..hands? hehe =P
    Oh, I don't use tablets..and the tablets I've used so far in my life gets this uncontrolable freak outs, which screws up the whole drawing. So I've kind of given them up. =P

I'm too tired to write anything more now.. Been working hard all day today. So, I'll try to get a new drawing up here tomorrow... maybe some rough sketches. yeah.
    I'll try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrught! I get the biggest mention. In your faces. Although I'm not sure I deserve all that credit, i only critiqued that punk/goth/emo? guy, and said that Spirit wasn't Disney.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little bit busy, so not much crit, but all I can recommend is http://www.saveloomis.org and read 'Figure Drawing for all it's worth'. There's loads of pics and if you have a slow connection you can just ask me to send you the PDF file.

I like how clean your work is, horses are great and anatomy looks pretty solid. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay people, new drawings, like I promised!
    oh, and thanks Asoir, for the tip and compliments!^^

Within 1 1/2 hour I suddenly had 4 drawings.. wooh. more cartoon style on the first ones, and then a dragon I just felt like doing because the Two Towers LOTR theme song makes me want to draw something evil. =P

Aaaand just some more random scribble I found in my drawing map.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since that dragon turned out really small, here's a bigger one. o_O

Oh, and I found another drawing.. gee, I should sort my drawings out, they're everywhere. o_O

THERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh! Impalement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love what you're doing with expressions. When I saw that insulted/annoyed expression on the cow's face, and that curious baffled look on the dog, it cracked me up.

I dare say that your animal anatomy in general is pretty good. Keep up the good work!

There's something wrong with the neck of the horse which is looking at the dog on his back. It sort of seems like his neck is broken or something. Because while the head has turned, I can see no implications that the neck has done the same thing, if you see what I mean?

The dragon is very cool! But I think it would look better with dragon scales all over it. And the head looks sort of horselike, which might work I guess, but I sort of can't imagine it opening it's mouth and showing off all those vicious teeth. And the eye looks a little small. But over all pretty good! Lots of horns and talons everywhere! I like that!

Keep those drawings coming!

-regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my official response:

Anime is the devil! It will eat you alive!

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cam,

Very clean and decisive lines there you got. Why don't you try and be more messier than???. And than choose. whereas i am lacking of what you have got. Anyway that's a good beginning to your journey there of becoming an animator...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People, I'm not drawing anime. =P I used to, but quitted, since everybody else seemed to draw it too.. I try to make my humans more cartoon-ish without being all weird with huge noses and funky teeth.
    But I don't do the typical facial features, like two lines for noses, Huge eyes and that anime mouth.
    No anime!

and I'll try to make more messier lines, if that will help me. =P thanks people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cam,
    the reason a lot of people dislike anime here is because drawing from anime can really slow down your progress in learning to draw well. You're not necessarily drawing anime but there are remains of anime and a bit of an animation style in your work. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you keep your mind open to learning new things. I started out copying directly from comic books and morning cartoons.
    Your cartoon style drawings are great! Are they originals or are they copied from someone else's line art? They've got a lot of character....

If you really want to learn stuff, check out the tutorials section of this board and keep posting work. Oh and yeah, keep practicing (which everyone says but unfortunately is true)

welcome to CA.org

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    heyyy.. Stupidude666 stole my credit! meh so i havent seen many kids movies lately, so sue me. looked disney-ish..

yeah, what expat said, check the tutorials and try to develop your own style. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whether it's anime manga or ANTHRO, it still applies to what expat said. It'll just stunt your artistic growth. What youngins seem to fail to notice is that these styles are... well stylisation of realisty. Once these artists mastered their proportions and anatomy, they started STYLING what they knew. Plus it made it possible to churn pages faster (example for mangas and such)... But style and these in peticuliar shouldn't be the first things an junior artist learns. It's like putting the cart before the horse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, ya, okay, I dislike anime a bit too, because you get kinda "drawing handicapped" =P
    I don't really agree on the Anthro part, though. Anthros can be very different from each other, no "rules" with how they are supposed to be drawn, except they have to be animals, of course.

I totally agree with you, egerie and expat. People should take the time to learn at least some anatomy, instead of just jumping right into drawing anime, or cartoons in general. It's a bit sad to see most kids have started to draw anime. I don't see it as any talent anymore, just some round balls with big eyes. Everybody can draw anime like that.

I have checked around at the toturial place, but since school started last week, I've been pretty busy with getting my things straight. And I was working all the time last weekend, so yah. =/ But still I got the time to do some drawings. =P

Um, Expat asked if my drawing are my own or copied. The only ones that are copied, are that Spirit horse, Billy (the guy with tattoos), and the grey horse, and the trotting horse underneath the grey one. Everybody else is from my own mind, not looking after anything. My cartoon drawings is a bit inspired from general cartoon movies, but the characters are my own! Thanks for thinking they're great!! that makes me smiiile...^^

I've been working on T shirt designs at school today..I might post them up later. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those eyes definatly have an anime construction to them (or, at least bad anime fan-art construction), and many of the parts remind me of various japanese anthros as well as a lot of the bad anthros out there on the web

I was going to draw out some examples of what to do and what not to do, but I can't even draw a pure manga-style eye anymore - my hand outright refuses. Oh, well, it's a good thing.

Back to the Anthro thing - I'd suggest heavily that you drop it and concentrate on pure humans for a while. While "anything goes" with furries (ow...bad, bad, BAD things burned into my brain from when I did some google searching on that), so too is that technically true with anything labled "art." However, Picasso understood the fundamentals very, very well before he went abstract.

By focusing on human anatomy for a while, you'll be able to go back and notice a huge improvment in your anthros. It will be a lot easier to blend animal characteristics and human characteristics.

From an animation standpoint, study Disney, Bluth (I think he's most known for when he did The Secret of NIMH) and Looney Toons. From the newer stuff, Dreamworks SKG has some decent animations, but they learned from studying Disney and Looney Toons, as well as real life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Realize first that ALL the GREAT ANIMATORS are accomplished artists...Their grasp of figure drawing is evident in their mastery of bringing their drawings to life...You see, what makes a character, any character believable, is the personalities with which they are imbued...If you can draw the human figure well, you can give even a teapot a lot of personality...It's these personalities that give these animated characters believability...

It's noticeable to a degree, which of your sketches were obtained from reference...You have good observational skills...Use them...Observe from life...Close the book on the little funnies for a while and concentrate on life studies...When you've mastered this and go back to doing the cartoony stuff, you'll see a marked improvement in your work...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.