Thanks

What is your best working area?

I am curious where you guys feel the most productive working? Lets just forget about your jobs for this, though. Where do you get the most work done on your personal projects?

For me it has always been in a hard wooden chair in an uncomfortable environment. A place like a classroom where i am forced to sit for X amount of time. When i try to get things done at home in my room, i just wind up playing games or watching TV instead of being productive.

So yea, how about you?
    My work: [link]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I feel the same way. The more uncomfortable the conditions the better. Pretty weird.

Thanks
    I can do the hard wood chair, but I like it to be some what soft, but not to soft were I can go to sleep on it, if you know what I mean.
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    It's not so much a place for me, as it is a state of mind.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    It's not so much a place for me, as it is a state of mind.
    Thats true, Ive deemed it "The Zone."
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    yeh, it seems like the place that designed for chillin and drawing is my least productive area. I usually get the coolest stuff done in the living room while watching TV or in school while on breaks or during class...my room is only good for sleeping

Thanks
    In front of the computer.

Its a habit. Internet is hooked up all the time so its easy to get references (and easy to get distracted).

I don't like to draw all over the place.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    For me its on my bed while haveing the tv on , or mabey haveing music. When iam drawing i like to have something going on in the back round of my room .

Thanks
    Depends on what I am doing.

For 3D stuff or sculpture, on the floor of a large open space, like a studio or garage. I need to be able to spread out my supplies and move around, for some reason I hate really sitting still while I sculpt.

For drawing, I hate to say it, but any boring old drawing table. Though I find I am FAR more productive if I have people around me, I kinda tune into their energy. I hated freelancing at home, it was too isolating and I ended up wasting a lot of time online so I wouldn't feel so lonely.

...kinda like now. Only, I work in a basement with a dozen other lonely, overworked animators.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    when not at work...at home on the bed. or on the mattress on the floor. or in a comfy chair. but mostly the matress. i change position alot of the time,so i need to be able to stretch out into any given direction.
    most productive i'm though when either at a workshop, or when in sweden at my granny's house or the summer cottage by the lake.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    where am i most productive. i wish it were in my art room were i have my giant drafting desk...but unfortunatly, the place is alwasy so cluttered with items, filled with lots of noise or people. and it just doesnt work. i would say its probably my bedroom, only it'd be better if i had a drafting table in there to draw, cause i like to sit down at a table and be "designated" to draw...its a mood thing. also when i'm around other creative people, or sometimes in front of the computer cause thats were my references are.

it depends i guess...but i definatly like a quite designated area away from destrations but with music and references within reach.

Thanks
    I find it good to just shut my comp off and then i can draw in my room. The comp is the most distractive thing for me.

Other than that, i may have to agree with drawing in art class, i am forced to draw, so i draw, and have nothing else to worry about, cause well it is ART Class.

Thanks
    I live in the residence of a resort in the mountains. My old room was on the corner of the third floor looking down the valley.

My drawing desk was right in front of the large window and this is where I got the most drawing done. Primarily my distraction was a beautiful mountain scene that just made me want to draw more.

It was also a very contemplative area for me which probably helped.

It's amazing how much your environment can affect your output.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    erm......anywhere. i've drawn in classrooms, in the dark watching star wars, on a chair in a camp dorm, at the comp, at my surgical desk (my grandfather used to be a surgeon, and i got the desk.he's still alive.)on the kitchen sofa, but i haven't drawn in a car. yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Thanks
    I think atmosphere also plays a factor. Well, as long as i don't pull a crowd to look over my shoulder, I come up with some cool stuff. But once people see me and start to rubber neck and comment...its all downhill from there.

Thanks
    my favorite coffee shop. there's no substitution.. nothing like that the atmosphere of many other people studying/drawing/writing to get me going. i love having a perch where i can people watch to randomly give me inspiration. except for saturday and some friday nights, the music is normally awesome. this particular cafe lets you be incognito and mostly antisocial, because there are so many other people there acting the same way. once i went there with a large group [by mistake] and practically got kicked out.

hard wooden chairs

plus after being 'in' all day at work and not wanting to be 'in' any longer it is the perfect place to be 'out' and still draw when the sun is down.

my art setup is highly mobile and pretty complete, but sometimes reference is handy. so often i go to the cafe to get warmed up and then go home to the easel/drawing table where books and printouts await.

yup Lord Blue i have to agree with ya, once you're being watched the party's pretty much over. sometimes i wish i could perform in front of people though, i've seen that kinda setup work in crazy ways before.
    Last edited by nova; August 12th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Yea i have seen artists do some crazy things with a crowd around them. Street artists are the perfect example!

Heh, definitely not me though.