Sketchbook: 8.30.06 - Page 6

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 8.30.06

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Scott .

It would be great, but I have a funny feeling it will never happen, I'm sitting tight with my daily routine and you are too, as I see.

It would be wonderful though, if we all would keep on openness in real life. I'm mostly the same in both realities, as I see myself, but what if I see myself wrong .

You know I got Aim just for you and vigo, so I'm gonna use it. I have no idea what I will say to you. As I said before, I don't understand you, just very happy that you are real. So I'm gonna ask a lot, will you answer? It's not easy to skip answers in chat . It will be not easy to do with me, ask Min . We already called each other stubborn in the chat.

Well, maybe I will be in New York some day. I really want to and I love museums. Metropolitan, Oh, that would be so great.

I found Dylan. He is running away. That's not his crowd, he needs the tougher one . His back still has all his charm , You probably asked him politely to sit for the portrait . He said "sure" on his way out .

Beautiful thumbnails in pen. All of them. Are they from imagination? Well, they are really great because of movement and because you gave them individual features. These straight long hair, separated in the middle, narrow high forehead, some fanatic exhaustion in the faces, madness. And the thumbnail with the back to viewer is great, and monkey-like guy descending from above on the rope! And they are very small again, but I will no throw a fit today, I'll just say be more careful and don't put your food on your art work to protect your table. . It might be worth more than your table.

Your figure studies, they have you all over them, you just can draw bones and muscles. You are ending up drawing real people with very fine emotion. Plus apparently you mind is starting wandering, and I adore it. These pretty fleshy guys look so dreamy in your interpretation.

And I recognize with pleasure your manner in this beggar old woman. As always very personal and refined. and as always have some fairy tale feeling.

Btw, I think your style and Käthe Kollwitz's are the opposites in some things, but they have some common too. She is extreme, square and heavy, you are elegant, fine and with light smile on most of your drawings or paintings. But there is a common ground: feelings, open warm human feelings. Btw, I 'm very fond of her work, I just amazed at her personality not less. As yours, btw.
    Well, that's what I think.
    Sorry for the long reply, I just can't do it the other way, I guess.
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; December 12th, 2005 at 07:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow i really love this sketchbook, i think its one of my favourite ones.
    Really nice and keep on getting better better page by page. Really nice!

Cheers R3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill drop a crit in here..

try to watch the wrists more carefully, a lot of your figures have these sorta nondescript writsts. The main thing i think about the wrist is that its the main pivot of the hand, the tendons that run over it on the top and bottom will always have some tension. i think of it like a hinge of 2 bones on either side and the wedge of wrist bones in the middle, with tendons pulling the hinge up or down. Plus its very boxlike when compared to the slenderness of the rest of the forearm. i want to see some wrist studies. also ive noticed a lot of flat hatching . that really flattens it out. maybe try just laying in tone or leaving it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your drawings. Do you go to the Met to drawing often?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update before holidays

blacky - Thanks so much for the kind words. I can see your point on the smallness of the drawings..The pad is actually 18"x24" - but even so, I should draw bigger bigger bigger! I've been watching you too man...great work lately

poise - Tiffany girl...you are the dreamiest! I didn't do these at the Society..I monitor an open drawing studio Monday nights out on Long Island. Too far for anyone else to make..but it keeps my skills sharp, and I try to learn something new everytime. We gotta hang come next year...Better yet ...let's make it our sole purpose to become the next big illustrators in the business! oh...isn't that what we've been trying to do ?
    Thanks for stopping by...you drive and skill inspires me man.

vigostar - Rob, man...did you ever think of becoming an art director? You can take the smallest idea and just build a whole story around it. That's awesome...and real talent right there. You see more in my work than I do...I see poo talk to ya soon mate

bumskee -Min you nut..only 3 smily faces in your last post? I must be doing something wrong Next year I would like to get into those ChOW and COW and all that...But if I do it you know I'll be bothering you all the time to look at stuff and crit. Are ready for ultimate crits? It's gonna be awesome.

sveta - HEY! Yeah..all those little thumbnail guys are from my imagination. I wasn't very concerned with the uniqueness of the character..just trying different poses...seeing what i could come up with out of my head real fast. Trying to move away from using reference..it has it's ups and downs. I'm learning to take advantage of both

rWdk -thanks man...like that avatar--nice painting

winjer - hey shiraj - good crit. As I said before I really appreciate such a specific crit as well...Next life drawing class (which passed already..but the next one too!) I am going to focus on what you said about the wrists. Also the hatching thing I noticed too...it has alot to do with me trying to get alot down fast..but I feel sometimes it'd be better to leave it out than to hatch hurrily and wrong. Is hurrily a word?

incolorinred -Thank you. I do go to the Met, but not as often as i like. It is one of my favorite places in the world...(not that I've been to many other countries). When i do go i always draw...sometimes with the rest of the NY crew here on CA.org.

OK..first..the battle angel ChOW - You know her as the busty fairy instead..cause that's what she really looks like

a recent life drawing. 30 minutes this time! that's the longest pose i've done in months. I love this model...she always tries different things, and created a little narrative here. I hope I did it a little justice

Man...I was gonna do alot more work to this, but never got around to it. I guess that's why it's in my sketchbook. I LOVE DRIPS.

some thumbnails --just playing really. In the second one, you'll notice how I turned the giant into a giant teddy bear. I'm a moron.

Thank you all for always being so cool and stopping in this sketchbook. I never thought in a million years I'd be the recipient of so many kind words. I imagined stones and flaming arrows in my heart, brain and face
    Have a great holiday everyone - stay warm, and be sure to sneak away from your family and draw in a corner. Be back with new sketches for the new year

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet update, dude!! Have a great holliday! Looking forward to more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡‡ Vision ‡‡‡‡‡

I see good things happening here <> I think you have artistic vision and a good sense of form and expression <> keep the motor runnin'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Scott , thank you for wonderful update. I'm very grateful. And don't call yourself a moron, who am I in this case? You are the opposite plus a very smart heart and and impeccable taste.
    I would love to see a big painting from this thumbnail. I think it's a great idea. Sweet children toy when it's not so sweet. I see an ironic smile in this. Instead of scaly slimy monsters it's a huge teddy bear and it wants to play with little funny humans .
    And I'm very interesting in the third thumbnail too. It has a wonderful mood already.
    I see a very early cool morning, actually still a night with stars in the sky, when the daily sounds are just starting to wake up. And in this peaceful time something strange is happening. Some people are planning a bloody mess and there is an unexpected interruption. I'm wondering what can stop these men apparently preparing to kill, and enjoying it.
    I love colors and dark silhouettes of the warriors. I love those reflection (from the stars?) on the water and this morning fog. I can feel wetness. I hope to see a painting. I love the colors, and composition very much.

The battle angel. It has such a wonderful feel of my old favorite books from my childhood. I love those soft natural colors and pearl-like background. There is so much beauty in this painting. She will be great as an illustration in fantasy novel.

I like the portrait of the model, she was acting like a vamp-woman, wasn't she. Champagne, garson, cigarette . in this order . Would you like to put her in some surrounding, with some teddy bear handcuffed to her bed ? I'm sorry, I was watching modern artists too much on Internet lately.

I hope you finish the painting, it's very beautiful. I love these drips too and your moody backgrounds, always.
    Hope to talk more to you. Hope to see pictures of your bar hoping with Fellah in New York. We can sell them . Fellah doesn't need to know .
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; December 22nd, 2005 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Scotty!! Love the damn ChOW.. the wing, the white and the boobies.. all work great for me. hope u keep participating in ChOW. You know I bother you all the time with my whinging + crits + just about anything really, so I am all cool at looking at your stuff, it's always a pleasure. In fact I wish you did more frequently, you are so secretive!

I love the life drawings, the socks is sick, I wish I could go to ones where they are not always naked, just to throw in some varieties. Love the watercolour, I don't know I mean I have never been able to use medium like that. One mistake and it's gone crap. Like I said, pink and green.. you are wonderful with those colours. Hope to see you push that and seeing you own it. cheers mate and talk soon. say hello to d & a for me. hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chow's awesome- the color variation in the skin is really interesting. the drippy one is sweet as well.

did you get your shirt yet? if not, i gotta bust some heads! merry xmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scott.. wow.. i really .love that watercolor.... you gotta teach me some tricks with that stuff.. i havent even cracked open the tubes yet..!!! anyways... be well...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott, those are looking good, I lkie when you flip out and raid the watercolors like that.

Is the word your looking for hastily?

ANyway thansk for the crits and comms in my SB, regarding schools all the applicationas are in, so now I just gotta get my portfolio in order. Your battle angel is so bright it almost hurts my eyes! Very nicley rendered. You really give the impression that her veins go in to the wings, in a very natural way.

Cheers TIm

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, long time no see your book, really like the lifedrawing pages, very sharp and precise lines, love them.
    Anyways, keep the good work man, hope you're doing great.
    Happy holidays

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fellah - you are super-cool - hope the holidays were good

mentler- you are also super cool ..thanks man I'm trying to be more expressive and not be so uptight..it's hard sometimes.

sve- thanks! Yeah..I'm playing around with some ideas for future works. I know I have 1,000 things to work on (mechanicals, environments, perspective) but I can't ignore my everlasting interest in composition. I really want to focus on composition for 2006. We'll see...I'll probably go off on tangents.

bumskee - thanks sucka. It's actually not watercolor (technically) but Dr.Martens Bombay India Inks...watered down to act like watercolor. Then some gouache on top. Aren't I trixie!?

cotron - thanks man...the WestCoast is blessed with your presence now

vigo - thanks man...but if you read what I wrote to bumskee..you may be surprised! Watercolor is cool and I used it alot when I first tried painting, but kind of abandoned it almost completely for oils.

tim - thanks man...yeah..I wanted bright! I actually originally intended it to be all very high-key, but I couldn't resist the dark accents. I'm a suckafool

diego -thanks man..hope your holidays were swell too

fat kid - thanks man - I hope your holidays were delicious

OK - 3 pages I sketched on over the holidays. Can't I have off all year? that would be nice ....

thanks everyone..hope the holidays were sweet and good to you all

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Scott,
    sweet sketches! I love the first page, the three girls, and the cat in the boat, Actually I really like all the characters on that page.
    For the last page, are you going to make an illustration out of the wizard looking at the girl?
    Hope I see you soon, and hopefully we can get that painting camp thing goin one weekend, so we can all hang and paint together, .

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott, I love all your new art, all of it dearly, but what this means...?
    "OK - 3 pages I sketched on over the holidays. Can't I have off all year? that would be nice ...."
    I know that the smart thing would be to pretend that it's not here, but I never was any good in pretending. Why are you sad? What is bothering you? Oh well. Hope it's just holiday's effect.

Well, although I have all these questions in a back of my head and they interfere with my enjoyment from looking at your art, but anyway, I have to say, that I'm happy. Happy to meet you again and listen you through your art. And you have so much to say, dear Scott. If you don't mind I will talk back, maybe to myself, what difference does it make anyway, when words are separated with distances and not seconds, not minutes, but hours, days, weeks. On the other hand, letters were even worse.

You know the funny thing is I always feel that you art is a sweet mix of the childhood impressions, heard and seen fairy tales and very powerful sexual subtext. I'm not even sure you intended it, i think that something leads your mind, heart and hand in any mood of yours, whether you are down or chatty. Or maybe it's you, who is a conductor of this orchestra. You tell me, that's what I would like to know. But I say that in any case it's your past and present, and memories and impressions, and what you saw, and did, and from what you suffered, and what you went through on your way to this day. And that's truism.

First page, such a dreamy mood. Every character peacefully coexist with each other, no one searching contact with others, everyone is streaming away and hiding eyes. Well, I'm happy with this mood, i do it in real life all the time, hiding in my thoughts. I really feel this page is the side door from daily life into silent world. From where you are returning restored. All the characters are captured with one mood and don't have their own will, except the very strong male face in the middle of the page. he is the only one who is conscious. Was he the first on this page? Loomer, I'm so glad you are open to the most in your art. I enjoy guessing and reading your thoughts . This page has a slow motion repeating movement, like a merry-go-round around this rude greedy face in the middle. I can't separate anyone, they are very individual but they are together like obedient puppets rotating around their owner, mad Puppet Master. I'll take it back about Dylan, he is just sleeping .

The second page is different. There are some very strong characters here. I love this Harlequin and beautiful female figures with tiny waist. The are so graceful. I especially love the one with her back to viewer and the other one with spear. I'm aware it's the same character. Such a beautiful figure with tender shoulders.
    Dylan has great hair. So much of his personality in this unruly hair, I love this. . These drawings of him have a hypnotising effect from the first page.

The third page. I have not enough words to say how beautiful this is. I could say all appropriate in this case words like "dope", "sick" or some flattering profanities, but i never say this, so i just say it's pure pleasure to observe. How was it born, i don't understand it. never will. Where did this image come from. How? Did you see it in your mind? I'm just shaking my head, my very common thing on your thread.

God, I feel such a sweet horror and pleasure looking at this piece. Such a sad, sweet, heart tearing feeling. These lovely fallen leaves, and beautiful girl captured and almost non existed already, and old indifferent to suffering trees. All this acts like a poison. I love these straight pencils lines like a rays spreading from the girl and waves from her long tresses. They are creating some sensation of her rooting in this magic ground and in the same time they have some pleasant feeling of freedom going on. I have problem to explain this, but it's here, I feel it. I love the figure of wizard who found her, he has no luck though, I think, she is not a human anymore.
    Thank you for portrait of Dylan, you have a very charming son, I tried to do drawing of him from yours and from the photo. My pen is too rough, didn't capture his adventurous spirit. But your drawings, that's something special, Scott, I'm telling you, I don't remember such a expressive portraits of children, I guess this happened only when you give your heart to this. I love these drawings dearly.
    So thank you very much. I'm very sorry for my stupid rambling and my stupid character. Disregard anything if you feel it's no good. I didn't mean it this way, I wanted to say only that I love this very much.
    Sveta
    I saved all new pages, still hoping you are not serious about not wanting to update this thread anymore, it's your right, of course, but I will be sad and robbed..

Last edited by sve; December 28th, 2005 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW is all i can say aboit your artwork. i wish my skills with watercolors were as good as yours.

"Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit, dude! I love those 3 pages! There is so much to look at! The pencil rendering is beautiful! So rough and refined at the same time. So many stories going on! Great stuff, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice bunch of pages, I like the wizard/girl combo on the last one... I can tell you're experimenting with your ideas, it's fun to watch. the renderings are getting more refined, too.

hope your holidays were good and I swear you're gonna get a shirt in 06, goddammit! the planets will align!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet updates...lovely lifedrawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your very skilled at life drawings, so keep em comin'. it's cool to see you experimenting with new ideas. also, i love the rendering on that angel. that's some tight shit man. i'll check back later.

-darkgenius

My SB - The Second Coming

SKETCHBOOK of a darkgenius (Crappy Old Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOLY Pe-tun-nias Scott.. those pages were rocking my socks right off my footsies man... wow....! This isnt like any normal asspat this is the real deal holyfield asspat.. i could pick out so many goodies from what you have there but, i really like the girl charging with the spear.... her anatomy and figure looks spot on.... and those creepy dudes next to that tree.. wow... thats something you could def. work on further... man you wanna make me draw... thanks scott.... your like the hombre!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much to look at in those last few pages, but what really caught my eye was the last CHoW and the drippy page posted before these. Fucking awesome. I'm officially inspired to use more color in natural mediums. The hatchwork in the first page of that last set is wicked too brotha...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gaint teddy bear and the bottom of the last page look like great ideas that ought to be considered for detailed paintings. Your stuff seems to look like you enjoy drawing so much... veryyyy imaginative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡‡ Bone Gathering ‡‡‡‡‡

Super SB pages <> thought they should be on the current page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya loomer! happy holidays.. i really like those brownish grey thumbnails especially the one with the giant teddy bear...it rocks! haha you should blow it up and work from that. you could definitely turn it into a magical illustration.
    the new pages are rockin as well. i like the 3 girls with the gowns and big boobies heeh.. keep up that magical stuff.

*oh crap mentler tripped me out when he posted the images on this page. i was like ah man my post got screwed up again. hehe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Scotty!! damn so hard to catch you on AIM these days.. would have been to talk to ya once in a while. hehe how was ur christmas? all good I bet? sweeet

beautiful update, your imagination is twisted yet not so twisted.. errr...yeah.. More Dylan I see, hehe how's he doing? Oh and that chick lying on the ground with leaves everywhere and treeeeeees.. that needs colour. I demand to see it in colour! love your work and talk soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott, why the hell have i not checkked this yet? i'm loving waht's happening here. I'm starting to see a consitency in your drawings that is becoming a destinct style. a great marrige between the regular everyday figure and the more cartoony stuff you're doing. there's movement, action, fluidity. The composition sketches are getting tighter. I think the big time is right around the corner for you. Happy New Year to you and your family. and here's hoping we could hang more often then we do in 2006.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhhh cool style! The girl in the 2nd sheet with the tears is awesome Nice story book illustrations!

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy New Year Loomer!

Your work is looking great, I really like the way you fill every corner of the pages. Your anatomy is looking really solid as well. Those thumbs on page 3 could all be turned into really good paintings. Particuarily with your skills with oils.

Great work, Keep it up!

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.