Sketchbook: 8.30.06 - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 8.30.06

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Loomer, yeah that book is sweet I did a drawing off it.. heaps of stuff to draw, you will love the decorations and patterns. Nice drawings!! what sculpture? are we talking about anyway? Love the chick, has nice feel to it, great compo! though I think she's overall a little flat and that bump on her skirt looks a little forced too. Hair must have taken ages. love the pattern on her dress, and shadows falling on her from the leaves. great colour choice!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, loomer, thank you for your generous offer, I'm certainly gonna use it. In this case, please send me even bigger image from Oct. 7th. It has kind of Pink Floydish feeling, only not a dark one, because of colors.

You mentioned that you have enough of Dylan's portraits to make a thread dedicated to him only. I would like to see them, new or old ones. If it's possible.

Is it Alice with copper red hair. Or is it an autumn in New York already. I'm always surprised, when you open your inner world in your art, how unprecedented, fresh, aesthetically refined and deep your art is. That's why in my opinion your beautiful work didn't go to the third round. No offense to anyone, but people like to recognize more than to learn new. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Beautiful autumn Alice, texture of this rich hair, flowery blowing dress, combination of orange, brown and purple ( I'm speechless), this stretched hand. Not a woman yet, but not a child too. I have some question about the open space, but maybe it was your intention. I'll take her.
    Well, New York statures are something, How come I always live surrounding by barns reminding architecture .
    Sveta Dudetta

Last edited by sve; October 12th, 2005 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work loomer. That autumn girl painting is beautiful. I love the way you hhave rendered the hair and leaves. Very inspiring. Good work!

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks sveta and infini - you guys are the best. Sveta- with all that sweet talk you should be my official spokesperson! Thank you for all the kind words. I'll get that pic to you soon

Bumskee- thanks again - You are absolutely right...Both crits are dead on. I'm gonna play with it some more tonight (hopefully)
    the 'forced' dress bump should be an easy fix, but I'm unsure how to 'unflatten' her just by looking at it. Perhaps she needs more subtle value shifts and that'll get the forms to turn more.//what do you think?

edit: the scultpure is by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux
    and is in the Metropolitan Musuem of Art in NYC

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomer, I have only written English and use a lot of dictionaries to express what I think. You don't want me as you speaker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Salty + Sweet Sketchbook

keep posting !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that last painter piece Scott, you are kicking ass man. Crankin' em out...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that digi paint is great Scott.. Keep thos coming.. maybe add some color variations to the leaves... Cuz we know that when fall i really like the way you handled the hair...! good job amigo...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey scott, really nice new sketches and the painter piece looks cool but i have to agree with bumskee about the skirt. Looks like she have a stick or "something" under her skirt that produce that bump.
    You should post more when you have time.
    Cheers man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killer work in here Salty. i like the little goblin with the big nose. hehe. You have am interesting style. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alio, Lumiere!

How's it going? I haven't lurked in your sb in a while, its a treat to see all the new stuff that you have up. That psychedelic picture of the girls riding on that thing (either an a. turtle head; or b. penis with a weird mole) is my one of the best i've seen from you. ALso diggin that guy in winged armor *the one rendered in pencil).

The last batch of pics you uploaded are also good, especially the pencil rendered one of the guy in profile. Now I suck at anatomy, but thought I'd nitpick on the last one of the falling girl. She could use a bit more tweaking around the right shoulder where the armpits are exposed? Maybe shortening that area or lowering that right shoulder bringing it closer to the neck might help.

Hope to see more from you, loom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please, please tell me you can find work. This stuff is just hott.

what are you trying to get into?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the kindness and sweet nothings...
    sve - you might need a dictionary, but you still speak better english than do i
    shyamshriram - thank you sir!!!
    strych- thanks cody . took that last Painter sketch down, but I'll repost the 'fixed' version soon -it's almost done
    osgoon -thanks
    Azrael - thank you too!
    to vigo, bumskee, diego & lukavi - took down 'leafy girl' and she is already being re-worked. It's just a sketchy, but you guys had great crits, so I'm going to use them! Thanks for taking the time out to help a fella out.
    KenDeathWalker - work? all that remains to be seen.My lack of posts is because I'm busy getting ready to send my stuff to Art Directors. My interest has always been illustration - book covers, game box covers, magazines, etc. I do have an interest in concept design, and would like to branch out eventually. By the way..saw your last posts with the zombies...very cool!
    thefatkid - thanks fatboy. Are you really fat? Listen...i don't wanna hear that you are even moderatly chunky...you better be full blown fat with 6 chins and a McDonalds bib .. .the fat kid is a very important title..and I don't want it abused! I posted studio pics below just for you!

Most of this work has been for promotional/ website work. My friend who is doing the site and I have been working to integrate my sketches so some is a bit of what you'll see there - than of course a whole bunch of other shit
    love cupids - so much fun
    - i was drawing these on a paper I never tried before. It was a printmaking paper (which I usually like drawing on) - but this was too soft and the rendering got all muddy. Therefore I stopped in the middle and said 'fuck it'
    life drawing- I know...the left pic his head size is too small...but I like the one on the right...I caught his likeness pretty well and his abnormally large head
    more cupids
    from sketchtrade - clogik's character
    lil drago
    awwww
    here is my humble studio...in the last pic I took a sneak peak WIP of a painting I'm working on ...but it's in the mirror! hehee...
    that's enough for now - hopefully I'll post more sooner than later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomer.. nice studio, wow... look at all the brushes.. meh I wish I had a studio.. but damn.. nice place you got there mate. What are those little portraits on the wall for? take some pic of those and post them! they look mad.. Those two paintings look so damn good next to each other.. yellowish and purplish..

beautiful sketches, love the cupid stuff, must be based on dylan! cute.. yeah I am really looking forward to your site, looks like you are puring lots of love into it. not to mention how sick your stuff is already, will be one of the best site ever. hehe lucky you let me link it.

the tree ones nice too, took me a while to spot the beautiful chick.. sweeet Love your work scott! cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update dude! That WIP looks very cool - even through the mirror. Nice studio mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Explosion! Your BEST update yet. Man, where to start... favourite is of course your re-do of Clogik's robot. I already saw that on the Sketchlings sb, real hot, man. All that big hulking black metal mass ending in a fragile pink fetus, it just works! Also like crosshatching you did on the giant under the tree, and that little angel lounging by the rock, haha awesome pose. And that sneak WIp , that is gonna be badass. The reflection says so. The reflection does not lie.

Btw thats a nice studio. The brushes and the holder is too sweet. And you play the guitar too? BAH! Go home renaissance boy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YOU bastard how on earth are you going to tease us with that WIP from a mirror... GEEZE no respect.... dude your last update ws awesome man.. im really digging everything your doing now... it seems like your really puting your best foot foward... keep up the good work.. BTW- i like the drawing with the dude by the tree.. i think it would be a cool painting if you made him look like a giant... maybe put some little houses in the BG and a little person hanging from a tree limb!!!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomer, I think I will be sleeping today hugging my monitor with your thread on. I'm absolutely charmed. I don't want to go anywhere, just want to sit and look at these sweet, delicate, magic, warm, beautiful, tender, lyrical, kind, touching, a little bit on a sad side, a little bit on humorous, lovable images. I don't know what to say, I'm just so glad that it's happening in my life, I'm happy to see how beautiful human spirit can be, how high it can rise and how brilliant and warm its glowing is. I'm talking about you, Scott. Kudos to you and Internet .
    I love everything in your thread and this update. I don't know, with the studio (which has the same lovely mood your thread carries) it just leads me into such a human loving mood.
    My favorite are love cupids, a nearsighted giant, a magic shell, the tree and photos of your studio. I didn't know that "Blue village and its habitants" exists on paper, it's one of my favorite too. And I didn't know that they are so big. That's great! hopefully, one day I'll buy this fancy print.
    Oh god, I wish I saw all this every day in my house. Now I'll save them at least on the computer. Best of the world to you, Scott and your lovely family.
    Sveta dudetta.

Last edited by sve; November 2nd, 2005 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice work man,love the cupid with the devil mask.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you have a lot of brushes... I have like 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work loomer. Those cupids look really good. Nice to see your studio, I didn't realize all those paintings were traditional oils. There great. Reminds me that I need to do more traditional stuff. Keep it going!

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of really nice work here, loomer. I am sorry I haven't looked at your stuff sooner.

I really like the robot piece, and I love your color sense in your finished pieces. I also really like the little thumbnails that you did for the "chick choking the ogre on the bridge" piece.

Also, the piece you posted on Oct. 7th is fantastic. It has really nice design and flow.

My only crit is that your anatomy gets a little wonky every now and then (not that mine doesn't), but I would recommend using a little more reference perhaps or doing weekly figure drawing (if you don't already). There is great drawing studio on Spring street in Soho that I used to go to all the time. I also occasionally went to the Society of Ilustrators for their "Third Thursday" figure drawing nights.

Great stuff though, man, your color is really rich and juicy. Your approach to color reminds me somewhat of J.P. Targete.

I am impressed that you are kicking it old-school with the oil paints. I have been so in to the digital painting that I haven't touched analog paints in a long time, but i feel the time is coming soon where I will break out the ol' acrylics or watercolors.

Keep 'em coming!

-Sean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bumskee - dude- it'll be a pleasure to be linked to an awesome artist -you!
    You constantly impress & inspire...we must cross oceans one day and drink like idiots.

Fellah -thanks - it's small, and but it suits my needs. I'd love a huge studio where I could paint 12' x 9' paintings, with gigantic windows and a sabretooth tiger rug (?)but this will definetly do for now. Looking at those pics, I never noticed how white my walls are. I planned on covering them with drawings and such..what happened?

lukavi - haa..yeah I play guitar, but I never had any formal training, so I just do it by ear. I was in a pretty serious band for about 2 years...we even got to do a little touring in the UK. But that's a story for another time.....

fatboy - haa..yeah. I was definetly thinking of you with the obese title. the guitar hanging on the wall is a Gibson Les Paul Special.....BUT my real prize is in the case. My Gibson les Paul Standard! It just has the warmest most beautiful clean tone...I love it. Been playing since 16..but really trying to get good since 18. I still suck

vigostar - I gotta confess...I've had no time to touch that painting since this post. I'm so frustrated with how busy it's been. But bills must be paid, and mouths fed...etc.
    I love your suggestion about the giant...that's a great idea...maybe a little village nearby. It could be adorable!

Sve- I don't know what to say...you are like Saint Sveta on CA.org sprinkling us with your inspiration and motivational words. Prints will come..I'll just need time friend. I'm looking into getting a high-quality printer to do them myself.
    I've been very busy with work right now, which is why the posts have been so few & far between. I will try even harder to post more though. Cheers mate

Carnifex- thanks for always coming by - feels good

winjer -3!? haaa...Ted Seth Jacobs would dissapprove

Infini - I just love oil painting...I'd probably be more productive if i just really dedicated myself to learn digital painting, but I can't leave my paints. I'm hooked for life I believe.

Muttonhead - thanks so much for looking. I'm a bigtime fan of your work -I'm also shocked to see you are only like a year older than me. I thought you were at least ten..but you are like 200 years more advanced than me skill-wise!

I 100% agree about the anatomy issue. I was actually looking through my work a few weeks ago and said the same thing to myself. I think it's due to me trying to break away from relying on reference too much. I was abusing it for awhile and not making any real intelligent decisions. So I tried to use as little as possible - but I think i just need a balance - When to use ref..and how to use it. It can get very tricky...especially if you want to be representational, but with expression and character. Definetely something i NEED to improve on.

i do life drawing every Monday night - the sad part is I'm actually in charge of the class and my drawings still look off! Haa...I'm going to try and get to the Society at least once a month.

ok small post but it's something:
    some recent life-drawings

from this past Monday

so i took a character from our sketchgroup and was just having fun. Before I knew it I got really into this and just started adding stuff and I thought you guys might get a kick out of it:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck yeah scott.. i love what you did with the skull head.. it really looks great... i wish you would pay as much attention to the whole piece like you did that head... it looks great now but, whoa what it would look like then.. whatcha been up to that your so busy?? youve got some commissions???? btw- i finshed that portrait sketch and we have that TD... if you cant do it then maybe we'll just rescedule it for later.. plus, i wouldnt want to lose to those buggers either so i would want your 100%!!! looking good all around man.. keep up the great work..

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eee, so much depth.. what's your secret? I am going to analyse that painting. the whole scen is very creepy.. nicely rendered. :>

love your life drawing scott, very solid figures. WHAT I DO want to see are your quick ones, like 2 mins and 5 mins.. you have these right?? cough them up!! heheh.

are you going to take part in ChOW? we need some Loomer in there..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks rob - yeah...i see what you are saying. I guess I was just doing this for fun..and i kind of wanted to stop when the fun was up. But maybe if i get the impulse, I'll go back in ...again!
    I just finished up a commision for this guy who owns a restaurant (partner) chain on long island. They have 3, but they want to start something else. So they asked me to do some interior/exterior renderings. Really boring type shit...but it paid, and it was good practice. I'm also teaching 5 classes...kids drawing. It can be really fun, and I love to help kids who want to draw- but it's cutting into my time alot. But i need the $$$$$$$! - All that an being a poppa and trying to get my portfolio out there...it's been kinda hectic !
    -I'm down for that T-dome...I'm gonna take my frustrations out on that sketchgroup..nothing personal. But I've been so bombarded with other crap I need to vent! let's bring the fight to them brutha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You don't want none

Lol, thanks for stopping by sketchbook Loomer! You should not worry, I'm sure all of your 30 extra years are going to make short work of me

I'm really admiring your stuff here man. Great linework on the figure studies, awesome painting skills, and cool concepts. My favorite are the little cupid guys, they really feel completely different from the rest of your stuff. The tree head guy is pretty rad as well, reminds me of something I would come up with.

Good luck in the TD, gonna be fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man..i missed the updates....those cupids are cute and other pencil works too. man and ur studio..im jealous
    sweet stuff man ! do post ur more colour works!! keep inspiring...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just don't understand why I haven't looked at your work before. Your stuff is great. Will propably have to spend a few minutes more studying your style.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.