Thanks

Sketchbook Falling apart....help...

recently, and rather hesitantly i purchased a sketch pad. (pic below). I HATE the way these particular books are designed for the very reason i am writing this thread. However, the paper quality in the book is amazing. Anyways, heres the problem. The paper is held in place by really shitty ass glue at the top. Needless to say, this makes the paper VERY EASY TO RIP OUT. Whats happening is every time i turn a page , the damn glue gives out and pages start falling out. Now, im using this pad for practice more then anything, but i would like it if the thing stayed bound together.

Does anyone have ANY sort of trick or thing they do to similar sketchpads to prevent the paper from getting unglued and falling out?
    Please, any input will be very much appriciated...

Pad looks like the one pictured below

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    put it on a clipboard or get binder clips to hold the glue edge. http://lee.org/reading/binder%20clips.jpg

Thanks
    Staple it together. Get a clip or something.

Dude...if you want something stronger and won't fall out easily then for crying out loud just spend a little more money and get a binded sketchbook that has better quality paper. It won't rip out, you can use it as a coaster for your coffee and there's usually enough paper in there to last 3 months to 1 year. Best part you can decorate the covers and keep your sketchbook on your shelf for years and years documenting your progress.

If you get a sketch pad then you want it because its easy to rip sketches out to file them or to submit for your classes.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    yes i agree, but truth be told is the kind of paper it had along with the size, was not available in any other format. trust me, it was the last thing id get, but i just couldnt find anything similar in a better binding book

Thanks
    Binder clips will keep the paper together in transport and storage, but I really don't consider a sketchpad to be portable beyond the studio setting. Besides, you'd have to take the clips off to open it, and then they've deformed the paper and you still have the problem of the glue separating. Either buy a proper spiral or hardbound sketchbook, or buy a better sketchpad with a stronger glue. If you're using newsprint, as the image suggests, you might try the Sennelier LeMaxi, as it has a similarly rough tooth (though not as soft or neutral-toned). They come in huge square blocks with blue covers, about 250 sheets, and the glue strip is very strong. They can be a little pricey, around $20 or so for the 12"x12" block, but the format and size is so conducive to sketching that I think it's worth it. They also make smaller sizes, which are correspondingly cheaper. Still, though, pads aren't really suitable for storing artwork. Get some file folders or something, maybe a small cardstock portfolio. The glue is really only meant to keep the stuff together until you use it, just so it's not completely loose.

Thanks
    actually im using this (similar)

the store that i was buying from had these as the only decent paper for inks, so i bought it. all the other stuff they had which was in nice bindings bleeds...
    anyways, ill figure something out...probably just bind all the good work i do into some binder or folders

Thanks
    Have you tried bristol board pads? They're ideal for ink, and my Strathmore pads have pretty sturdy glue. They're pretty expensive as sketchpads, of course, but they'll certainly stay together a lot better.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa
    However, the paper quality in the book is amazing.
    For crying out loud, It's NEWSPRINT!!!!!! It's a sketch pad, not a sketchbook. Tear the sheets off as you use them, ditch the lousy ones, and save any that are worth it in a folder.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    hahahah no its not newsprint
    that was just a picture i posted to show the design of the pad so you all know what i was talking about

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    OK, cool. That makes much more sense.
    Move along, nothing more to see here.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Dude...if you want something stronger and won't fall out easily then for crying out loud just spend a little more money and get a binded sketchbook that has better quality paper.
    Was about to say that
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    You could go and get it Binded. I know that Kinkos dose it if theres one near you, for a few bucks. Might be worth it to you ...
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!