starting to get worried

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

starting to get worried

which is why i'm still up at five in the morning. i am very very into flat, 2d animation. it's just not being done anymore. I love to design, and i like my stuff anyway.. but it seems like it's dying out, and i have no choice but to join the amazing 3d revolution. it just seems like no one's looking for my kind of stuff anymore. The positive stuff i do hear is from people not in a position to hire, or "yeah, you would do well there, but the company is going under" so my question is... i want to diversify. i know i can do whatever i set my mind to do... but, say, if my website has a bunch of different styles and whatever on it, are people going to say, "she doesn't have her own style?" or "well, we don't need someone who wants to do all that?" it doesn't seem to be a question of what i want to do...but what i have too... but then, when i do get an interview, i'll get asked, "well, what do you really want to do?" and right now the answer is, "i like it all, please just give me a job." and they don't seem to go for that. but when i get asked and i say, "i want to design," they say, "we're not hiring for that. but i like your stuff." SO... should i do it all, or keep doing what i'm doing and hope one day it goes sort of with what some one else wants to be doing? any random advice for my random question?

my current website/portfolio is www.valeriefletcher.com.

any kind of advice would really, really be appreciated. i don't want to do theme park caricatures anymore.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say:

Do whatever YOU want to do...learn what you are interested in...You'll be very good in what you go for, if you like it...it doesn't make sense doing things you don't like but think you must do it...concentrate on your strong skills and improve them. If you are good in one thing you'll be happy with the work you'll get...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this isn't the "touchy feely" part of the site, but I feel the need to show some support to someone with your dilemma.
    I work totally in 2D also, and have found that all my colleagues are keen for our company to start working in 3D. The vast majority of our work is for young kids, and tends to lend itself to 2D animation. Although it makes sense for us to keep up with the competition in terms of graphical advances, there will always be a market for our type of work, because it is quick to produce and entertains the younger generation.

I don't know if I'm being of any use here, I can feel myself talking rubbish.

What I'm trying to say is, your work is excellent, especially the character work. You have a real talent, and it would be a shame for you to think that what you are producing is in some way not what people want.
    I would suggest taking a look at any children's animation or cartoon, to see just how prolific the 2D market is. It's only my opinion, but I don't think the market for good 2D characters will ever go away.
    I hope you have good luck in whichever area you choose to work in.:thumbsup:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, you guys...

i know there IS 2d stuff, especially in T.V.... or with flash... i'm sorry i'm being whiny. that's not how I want to be about anything... it's there, but I'm not getting it. hahah.I guess it's just not as shiny and cool. oh well. keep trying, huh...

is there anything on my site that isn't there that should be? i was thinking maybe i need prop design or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your character sketches are your best work on the site...perhaps editorial work would be something you could pursue?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what do you mean by editorial work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stumbled by accident upon this. It sounds like a vulgarised explanation of the art field for worried parents but held this definition :

Editorial Illustrator: Generally, this is free-lance work. The artist illustrates magazine and newspaper articles as well as advertisements. The art director and the illustrator decide which important point in the copy should be illustrated. The illustrator then executes a drawing, painting, or collage in unique personal style to illustrate the focal point of the copy.

Hope this helps..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, egerie!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I think you characters are great too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joining the 3D group is by far not a bad thing to do- obviously the more you can offer to an employer the more valuable you will be (this can be transfer to any work force for that matter.)

however, the 3D industry is also taking a hit in the nuts- meaning jobs that could easily get you 60k 5 years ago are now going to 40k and the skill set required to even sink the 40k have to be above average. Basically the bar is getting higher and the pay is getting lower (at least for people just starting to get in with no industry experience).

Times are tough, and they are only getting nastier. My only suggestion is have a back up plan just in case if things don’t flow the way they should. (meaning quite possible a job out side of your field) and just spend another year practicing- then try again. If your like me, bills won’t wait for a decent job. (curently an admin at a junior high school)

And don’t kid your self thinking “3D should be pretty easy, I mean its just point n click right?” that too takes a load of patience and practice. I love it how maya claims their interface is the easiest but in fact it just been getting more complex.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Mac: you should try to get some editorial or publishing work. Try children's books too! You should send a portfolio to Scholastic Inc. in New York. You can work freelance and draw great little characters and have them published in books (if they like your stuff....)

Go to your local book store and grab a copy of a book called: "The Artists and Graphic Designer's Market" They put a new one out every year (you can usually find it in a Borders or Barnes and Noble type store...)

In it are thousands of listings of publishers, magazines, etc, who accept freelance illustration portfolios and they give you advice on what kind of stuff they want to see. I think you would find it very helpful.....

Its funny because the illustration training I got at Syracuse University focused on editorial and book work, which I have found largely unfullfilling given my style, so I have had to teach myself about concept and game art in order to find my way in that field.... I am in the opposite boat...

Good Luck!

-S.A.M.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. i really appreciate the help guys, i've heard of the "market" books before... i guess that would be a good investment... i'll look into it! thanks again!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey girl,
    Always look into freelance too. I'm actually living off of that right now. I agree 3D isn't doing that well right now either, but I'm basing that on my own experiences at a videogame company. 2D isn't dead, there are at least three or four independent 2D features being made right now, they look amazing. Look for "Nocturna", "My Little World", and a Korean feature called "Wonderful Days". Whenever I get depressed, I watch those and am inspired that there are people out there getting to do what they want. 2D just appears to be on the edge of extinction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Brianne! yay!!! good to see you on CA!!! yeah, but where was nocturna made?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know. It's purty though, animation is a bit soft, but I hope I get to see it. Oh, don't forget "Les triplettes Belleville". I guess most of those features are being made in Europe, but maybe it'll catch on over here.

Members who have read this thread: 1