Sketchbook: Adrian Haynes: Sketch Book 11/22/06

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Adrian Haynes: Sketch Book 11/22/06

Greetings all, I'm brand new to concept art and this is my first post.
    I encourage for you to give me as tough critiques as possible. Be constructive with the critique if possible.
    Thanks, and I hope you enjoy.

The first 4 pages of My sketch book come from the anatomy class I took last semester for my illustration minor.

Sketch 001
    Top left and Top middle are both quick 10 minute sketches of a sculpture at the Detroit institute of art. The bottom left sketch was 25 minute and was done from a model. The right side of the page is in class note taking on torso muscles.

Sketch 002
    Left Side is 5 minute sketch of model. 5 more minute to insert the spine and ribs. Bottom Right is a head study of a model with skull inserted (45 minutes). All other drawing on this page were copying from our anatomy book.

Sketch 003
    The top two drawings are planar studies of models. Left side took 45 minute, right side took 10 minutes. The three legs on the right are note copying from in class, and the set of legs on the right are from a model (can't remember time on this one).

Sketch 004
    This is a page of fun stuff and doodles. Anatomically related still.

Sketch 005
    Some random character ideas that popped up over the last few days. These are all the first sketches of the characters, usually I do about 20-25 of the same character befor I get everything ironed out. I think that the most valuble skill in an artists arsenal is patients. The top two character are from a kinda goofy idea I had that I like to call Alliterated Army Animals. The zombie I sketched out after I saw the open zombie thread, and realized that I never drew a zombie, so i started with a distorted skull, then added on muscles and some skin over that (put to use that anatomy). The last one is a character I started designing a few weeks ago that I intend to model in maya and use in an animation class fall semester.

Sketch 006
    This is my first sculpture in progress. I became interested in doing sculpture for my anatomy class - to understand the insertion points of muscles, and the teacher suggested I pick up this method book of an artist named Bruno Lucchesi, who constructs sculptures by building a skeleton then putting muscles on top, then putting skin on top of that. I started off making the whole skeleton detailed, but since I was using sculpy (very soft clay) I had issues keeping them in shape, so i decided to do details on one section of the skeleton, then put the muscles over it. Sorry about picture quality, my digital cam isn't the best.

Sketch 007
    This one is an older one from about a year back, I was doing some character designs for tree people. These are a few head studies, I should have spent a lot more time on it before i started doing the one on the right. Also I want to get into watercolors and ink, or maybe just ink washes, but right now my budget calls for tons of bic pen drawings.

Sketch 008

Here's a few concepts for the animal farm character "snowball" i did this morning. Snowball never used clothes, but I wasn't much interested in drawing a normal pig, so I've combined pig features with Leon Trotsky (the person snowball is based off of). First one did without ref

Sketch 009

Sketch 010
    just doodling around a bit.

Here are a few photo shop sketches I did.

Sketch 011
    This one I did on a wacom about 3-4 years back, probably spend 20-30 hours on it, way to much for the result, but thats how i worked back then the viewing size here is the viewing size i drew it.

Sketch 012
    This one I did with my lap top mouse in 20 minutes, so that kinda sucks. My mom keeps thinking the wacom tablet pen is just a regular one thats out of ink, and they keep getting thrown away - after a few times I decided to stop buying them until i move out (in 3 weeks).

Here is a study I'm starting on the head and neck muscles. I used Human Anatomy For Artists - The Elements of Form, by Eliot Goldfinger as ref. drew the skull and neck area once from front and side view, then printed them out so as to save time. These are the Facial Muscles, that is, muscles that are used in creating expressions.

Sketch 013

sorry its been so long, but I've been very busy with school. Here's a project I'm working on in progress. The assignment is to bastardize a master painting and put your own face on the subject. This is from Michelangelo's final judgement. I really like the peace and figured I could learn something from trying to paint his style. Here is a value study i did for the painting. Issues I'm aware of are in the hands and the scale of the toilet.

Sketch 014

Sketch 015

heres a little t-shirt design I'm doing for superbowl 40 in detroit. I think its pretty comical - probably looses some humor if you don't live in detroit though.

Newest update at the end of thread.

here are some renders of models i'm working on in school. I decided to make sgt. slug as my first character - so i've been working for a while on him, since im new to it. the mech model i did in 3 hours. All done in maya. Hand painted texture for sgt slug using deep paint and photoshop. mech is all tweeking maya shaders.

Last edited by adrianhaynes; November 22nd, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alot of these are really cool, but I am not so fond of the bottom right cartoon sketch- something about it just seems uneven or something. It's probably just me though. I can't wait til college! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Alot of these are really cool, but I am not so fond of the bottom right cartoon sketch- something about it just seems uneven or something. It's probably just me though. I can't wait til college! Keep it up!
    yes, theres definate issues with the head structure, but for the characters purposes, I do want him to have a somewhat disorientated feel to him. Major issues are som jaw muscles need to be sucessfully exagerated, above his eyes need more construction and his lower lip needs to be pulled in a bit.

thanks for the comment.

I added anothe sketch above.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good start, really good to see anatomy studies.. good going and love the plane studies. that's some hardcore studies dude.

Sculpture is looking good, and your creative drawings are great too!, the tree ones are fantastic.

keep going, you are doing good man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook bro! I'm diggin the loose ballpoint drawings.
    The latest ones are great too. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice anatomy studies! I know you must be going to CCS, because I recognize those models. Ron and Rick have been modeling there since I was a student, 10 years ago! I assume that these were done in Eugene's anatomy class.

I will be teaching the traditional animation class at CCS this Fall. If you ever want to get in some sketching practice, come on out to my sketch group on Sunday afternoons. I call it a "group", but so far it's just me - I hope to change that soon. The main sketch group thread is over on CGTalk, and is open to anyone.

Today I went to Great lakes Crossing mall. It was a pretty good session.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, I am attending CCS, and those are from Eugene's class. I took it last winter and also sat in on the second half in the summer, i still have tons to learn. That's cool that you're teaching in the animation department. I minor in illustration, but animation is my major and the animation department needs all the help we can get right now. I actually think I sat in on a class that you were giving a presentation in last winter. The teacher was Ed Batres (advanced inviroments was the class he was teaching - got fired this summer i hear), and you were talking about the switch from doing stuff for disney to doing work for 3d films. Am I right?

Also I am kind of curious which exact class you will be teacher. Because I've been trying to get into traditional classes for the longest but it never works out. Steve, the other traditional teacher is absolutely awesome.

I'm definately interested in the sketch group, although I'm in the process of trading my car in for an apartment closer to school, so it may be a bit difficult to get out there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianhaynes
    The teacher was Ed Batres (advanced inviroments was the class he was teaching - got fired this summer i hear), and you were talking about the switch from doing stuff for disney to doing work for 3d films. Am I right?
    Oh crap. I was really looking forward to getting to know Ed better. It seemed like he really had a lot of experience in the business, a lot of stories to tell and knowledge to share. That sucks that he is no longer with CCS. Yes, that was I who talked to you guys last semester.

I will be teaching the "Traditional Animation 2" course. As I understand it, that is one of the few 2D animation courses taught there now, which is a shame. I thought that Traditional Animation 1&2 were required courses. If that's your major, why are you having trouble getting in? Prerequisite classes?

As far as the sketch group goes, I am still scouting out locations. GLC was a good one, but I think Wayne State or Eastern Market could provide good sketching grounds as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There was an upside and a downside to ed leaving. The downside was he really was the kind of teacher that kicks your ass to do a lot, and he was a really good person - great to go to for a critique when you aren't taking his class. the upside was he really doesn't know much about the classes he's teaching. A lot of times in class he would spend all class trying to figure out one person's problem, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but he had an ego about not letting anyone else tell him how to do it if they knew.

yeah last semester I couldn't sign up for the traditional animation 1 class, because the people over in the financial aid office ended up telling me i needed to sign some paper again for a loan (because they lost it) and by the time i could register for classes it was full. Bob is pretty good with passing me over req's, but I think he really wants me to take this 2d computer animation class (after effects stuff) because he teaches it, and he knows I'm a hard worker. If i really pushed him, I probably could get switched into your class, which I think would be much more benificial for me.

I'm definately down for wayne state and easter market areas as far as the sketch group is. I'm not sure exactly what GLC stands for so I can't say anything about that.

I can try to bring some friends along too, I'll probably be out of town next week, and a bunch of my friends are off to ireland (animation trip there this summer).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianhaynes
    Bob is pretty good with passing me over req's, but I think he really wants me to take this 2d computer animation class (after effects stuff) because he teaches it, and he knows I'm a hard worker. If i really pushed him, I probably could get switched into your class, which I think would be much more benificial for me.

I'm definately down for wayne state and easter market areas as far as the sketch group is. I'm not sure exactly what GLC stands for so I can't say anything about that.
    GLC = Great Lakes Crossing. A large mall up by the Palace of Auburn Hills.

You should make class choices based on the direction that you want to take your education, not on what your instructors want. Of course, there are prerequisites to my class. Bob really wants people to take the Traditional 1 class before Traditional 2, and I think that he is justified. Because the whole traditional track was consolidated into the two classes, if you miss the first you miss a lot. It might be possible to skip the first class if you can demonstrate the skills. I will make some inquiries about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranthropus
    GLC = Great Lakes Crossing. A large mall up by the Palace of Auburn Hills.

You should make class choices based on the direction that you want to take your education, not on what your instructors want. Of course, there are prerequisites to my class. Bob really wants people to take the Traditional 1 class before Traditional 2, and I think that he is justified. Because the whole traditional track was consolidated into the two classes, if you miss the first you miss a lot. It might be possible to skip the first class if you can demonstrate the skills. I will make some inquiries about that.
    I definately agree, As of now I've been passed out of over a semesters worth of classes - digital skills, animation survey, intermediate 3d animation, Drawing 2, illustration techniques 1 are some that classes that come to mind and I most definately will be passed out of sound design. I'm on course to finish in 31/2 years with a minor, however I'm thinking of staying another semester so that i can have 3 to finish my senior project.

My issue is that in classes that i really want to do well in, i usually will spend 40 plus hours a week on homework for that class, which makes it hard to take more than 2 classes I really want to do well in at the same time. Since I take 18 credit hours a semester (4 studios) i usually have to put 2 of those classes on the back burner. I originally intended to make those classes my 3d classes - and have this 2d computer animaton on the back burner, but i have a schedual conflict that won't let me take those classes, which makes room for another class i'll spend time on.

confusing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow- good sketchbook you got started here man.
    I think the anatomy studies are really strong...I might take a little more time making sure you got the size and shape of some muscles more accurate, but everything is looking real sweet!
    In school we had to add the anatomy of the life model (lik some you did here) - much more difficult to apply anatomy to a living object, than to just copy out of an anatomy book. I like how you did the skeletal system in red, and than the muscles over in black..I might try that as well. I got alot of good ideas from looking at this sketchbook..thanks for the inspiration!
    keep it up...i'll be back here often

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adrian,

I just contacted Bob A regarding your interest in the Traditional Animation 2 class. Unfortunately, he says that the class had already been closed. It looks like you will have to take Traditional 1 in the Winter followed by Traditional 2 in fall of '06. Sorry that didn't work out.

The weekend sketch group is entirely extracurricular, you you are always welcome to join. It's my belief, and I think that it's justified, that good drawing skills are 90% of good traditional animation skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, your work ethic is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranthropus
    Adrian,

I just contacted Bob A regarding your interest in the Traditional Animation 2 class. Unfortunately, he says that the class had already been closed. It looks like you will have to take Traditional 1 in the Winter followed by Traditional 2 in fall of '06. Sorry that didn't work out.

The weekend sketch group is entirely extracurricular, you you are always welcome to join. It's my belief, and I think that it's justified, that good drawing skills are 90% of good traditional animation skills.
    yeah, as i thought about it i realized that it would be full. Traditional animation classes are usually the first to fill up. It would have been nice to take my traditional classes before my senior year, the more I think about it the more it looks like i'll end up finishing in 4 years instead of 3 and 1/2.

thanks for trying, and keep me updated on the sketch group, I'm back in town, and im back at my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

actually did!

Saw this on WIP and actually did check out your SB!

Just had to say that scultpure is fantastic. Please post more pics as it develops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

adrian

shit i love those pictures of those models made of plasticene. did you use an armature??? great work!!!!!!!!!!

gorgeous.. i might suggest however putting the pig man with glasses into an environment, very nice!

thanks for posting. keep up the great work!!!!

jkb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sculpture is made with sculpy and i made a wire armature for it. I've also done some stop motion armatures with ball and socket joints. thanks for the comments folks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice anatomy stuff, but sometimes the heads look a bit deformed. I can see urpersonal style in the pictures, that's very good.
    The 3D rendering stuff is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got yourself a great sketchbook going on in here. I loved everything, especially the anatomy studies, they look incredible. Is the Eugene that you were talking about Eugene Clark? I had an evening class a few years ago that he taught. he's an exceptional teacher, I thought, very passionate about art. Well, anyways, i just wanted to say that you have a nice thread and keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments, yes we are talking about eugene clark. he is an exceptional teacher, he has me hooked on anatomy, seriously, i walk around and see skeletons and muscle structures in everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its been awhile, but I'm back. Here are a couple of characters I designed yesterday. I worked off of gesture drawings, and created the drawing in the order shown

and the second character

Last edited by adrianhaynes; January 28th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And Heres another one in the beggining stages for a creature I'm modeling for a game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22page update

huge update, i haven't be able to post anything recently - so i scanned a bunch

Starting off with some of the video game character stuff from the drawing above.

ended up going wit something similar to the design above but now that i look back i like some of the other concepts better.

unfortunately the engine we were using didn't support anything but a color and transperancy channel - really uninspiring - 2500 tri count limit too. i wanted to bring this guy into zbrush

took the model i did up earlier and played around with zbrush a bit
    - just getting to learn the software

This is a project early in developement called The Ladies Room
    The Lady’s Room is about group of school boys speculating what is inside the girl’s bathroom. Each of them is sure that their wild and outlandish version is true until a little girl comes along and puts the rumor to rest.

Not my normal style but i really could see developing these further in the future.

christopher dos - the nerd

Super-Hyper-ADD-Ridalin-Boy and the little girl

Bible Boy and the Principle

The Jock and the Bed Wetter

This was the main character in the game creation class i had - i really liked by idea - and have it pretty developed - but it wasn't chosen to be the game in the end (noon of the dead instead). The games called Suburban Spawn (or I heart Hunams) - and inovative action-puzzle game (tetris meets katamari)
    You play as Atticus, an inconspicuous creature living in a human suburb. Against your will, you must lure unsuspecting pedestrians into your home, to feed your gargantuan, hungry spawn before it eats you.
    This was really quick - had to do concept art and a game doc in a week for the class.
    heres atticus

a super quick environment of a bar done with my laptop mouse (yuk)

Heres another project I'm working on currently - You'll see a lot more stuff from this one in the next year.

and the beggining of the model of this last character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your anatomy studies its like you think about the human form as a poly mesh, must really improve your 3-d work and thinking. Also that fat blob with the titties is great seems like you need to do something really nasty with that in Z-brush! (I wish I knew z-brush) The monster guy is also really sick and less than 3,000 tris!!! Wow. Awesome stuff you should post bigger pics of your 3-d stuff, and more wires!! Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some some sculpy 3d stuff in progress and cg 3d character almost ready for zbrush - the sclupture is loosely based off the same design as the cg 3d model - sorry for crappy pictures

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres some stuff i've been working on

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by adrianhaynes; May 19th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.