Need some input...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some input...

Ok, I'll confess... I usually ask my friends these kinds of questions.. but it's 1:15am here and I kinda want to know now, because tomorrow i'll forget anyway.

I am writing and illustrating a fantasy novel, and only recently stopped writing to start drawing (been 3 years of writing so far), or more over, to start digitizing all of my work from the last few years for the book. Basically means I need to repaint everything in painter to look as spiffy as possible. I am fine with this (since it is all sketches anyway), but as I sat down and started drawing...I started to wonder..

If you were reading a fantasy novel which had full color pages (gloss), would you rather see the pages black or white? At the moment, most of the art has clear backgrounds so I can swap the colors anytime...but here is the thing; the entire book is obviously white paper with black text, so it might be weird on the eyes to suddenly go from white to black. But, the art looks much more vivid and powerful with a black background.

I know I should ask my publisher instead of this forum....but I am kinda curious what other artists think, and not my (pompous as hell) publisher.

Since they get the last say anyway...let's talk hypothetically! You are reading and reading, 5 pages go by with no pics, then you flip the page and the right page has text, and the left is a color painting. Would the fact that the paper is white on the right side, but black on the left bug you? Black compliments the art more, but white compliments the paper more (or something). Or would you prefer to see both pages white, with the art having a white background instead?

Thanks for your input guys.

My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a few questions.

This is a novel? How intensive is the reading/text? How often will there be illustrations? I guess I'm trying to fgure out how much the book will be based on the art. (still not sure i worded that clearly)

When reading fantasy books I'm quite used to having a black and white illustration here and there. So there is no question there wether that is ok or not. It works, I like it.

I dont recall many fantasy novels that I've read with a lot of color work so its hard for me to say. I have a lot of "art" books with color pictures that actually contain a lot of reading, but the color is carried across even the text only pages with either little graphics or splotches and whatnot. Then again if its black text, then the pic has a background the same as the text... that should carry it over... I'm thinking out loud now.

I'm so excited to see any illustration when I read a fantasy novel that I seriously doubt as a reader that I'd be upset with color ones.

How it will translate for the eye though is something I can't really say off hand. I'm sure adding color will add to the costs of printing greatly? I'd love to see an example of one of the illustrations (or similar) black and white vs. color.

With the amount of people here who have published books I'm sure someone can give better insight, my insight is coming from the "readers" point of view.

--marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The concept behind the novel is something I have never seen done before (hense why heaps of publishers turned my project down). It will be like a traditional novel, except there will be tons of pictures scattered all over, with at least 1 full page mural every 10 pages or so. The fact the pictures will be in color is extremely important, because the exact colors used have presidence in the story itself. A black and white picture might actually confuse the reader!

The publisher tells me i can do this if i print every page in color on gloss (upping the cost unfortunately). So there is more incentive to add more art since the pages will be prepared for it anyhow.

Oh and as far as posting art from the book; i'm really not suppose to.
    My avatar, however is the religious symbol from the book. Representing the three gods who create the universe. It is suppose to be 3 colors (from left to right; Blue Green Red).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well that concept sounds awesome then, I'd love a novel with a lot of graphics... like... a graphic novel! but different

If you are going to do color/glossy anyway then go for it, snazz it up. Makes me think of James Chrisensen's A journey of the Imagination book, so much to read and every so much eye candy... I can pick that book up anytime and find something new. Of course its not a novel, and what you are doing sounds interesting.

good luck with it!

--marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh. Im sorry, but its not entirely original. One of my favorite authors (Tad Williams) did a similar thing called "Mirror World". Not exactly like it because it was more a collection of short stories... but it did have full color illustrations throughout the book. Sadly the illustrations weren't that great (I loved em as a kid).

I liked the concept if not the entire implementation. If you think it is crucial to your book then its crucial. More power to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I talked with my buddy this morning and he said to me, "Wait, why aren't you painting backgrounds into these murals?". Now I feel silly...of course I need to paint a background! They just need a black boarder after and they should be fine.

Thanks for your input guys! Its good to know what others think about the project, keeps me motivated.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.