Sketchbook: Pixel's Temp Leave
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Pixel's Temp Leave

Hey all! After self improving all summer, School started so I'm ready to fire up a new thread.

Please note that this is just recent stuff. =D C/C!

Last edited by Pixeldragoon; August 21st, 2006 at 09:55 PM. Reason: O___O :D
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice start !!

just keep on fighting !

i'll make sure to drop by again !!

best of luck!

cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to have a really good eye, you get most thing spot on! Great work. However, your line quality has room for improvement. Try using a pen sometime, it really boosts self-confidence when it comes to lines.

Great start!

The advantage of being a beginner is having a much greater amount of teachers.
    Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I can see the improvement but your lines are still kind of sketchy, try drawing long flowing lines.. the anatomy is definitely improving, keep it up

Help your fellow artists get better.. Post a critique today!!!
    SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta agree on the line quality, but your anatomy is looking better than ever. Solid stuff, keep this up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know about the lines, I really need to find some ways to practice. I try some contour drawings now and then, but I think I should do more. I'm getting a soar throat to. Thanks for the comments. I'll try to get more in after school.

Here is a Dragon sprite I did last night as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good habits make a good artist. great to see you studying up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go on with the muscle studies u won´t regret it,
    also take a look where the muscle is fixed... for example the delta-muscle.

Good start here, and don´t forget to sharpen your pencil now and then.

-xaya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Didn't feel like ruining the entire hand with crappy values, so, meh.

Penciled hand. I hope it came out as good as it looks.

Some hands with my hoddie in the way.

Just a pen sketch.

I met this 8th grader that rides my bus while we were waiting for it. He was drawing a landscape sorta thing, and it wasnt half bad, but there was no perspective, etc. So I told him to draw from life, and I told him a good start is to draw your hand at least once every day. He said okay, and started drawing his hand, much to my suprise. What was even more shocking was the next day, I saw him again and he had several other drawings of his hands. I pulled out a few loomis pages, and he told me his mom went to med school and had grey's anatomy. He came back today with tons of bones and muscles, almost all to scale. It's great I finally found a kid who doesnt draw anime and is willing to get better. Personally I dont like drawing anime, I could go off on a rant, but Im not gonna. Anyways, He gets the bumps of the muscles on the fingers and everything, instead of just alot of curves. And he actually listens when I comment, and then he continues to follow my advice, without reminder. What a kid!

Later! C/C as usual!

Last edited by Pixeldragoon; August 10th, 2005 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey
    Here's something that will help with anatomy: http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout1LTA.html This is a site i used when i first started working out regularly. It lists all exersizes you can do for a particular muscle or muscle group and shows you an animated gif of the exercize. but what's really good about it is it tells you what muscles the exersize effects such as the Target (the main muscle being worked on), the Synergists (muscles that get a workout as well just by being connected to the target) and Stabilizers (other suppost muscles) and it gives you an illustration of the particular muscle, This not only shows you the muscles but also explains how the muscles work together to do what they do.

Last edited by AmishCommy; August 14th, 2005 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'll definatley have to try it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates Pixel. Keep practicing the shading! I have trouble with it too, I get frustrated alot when I try to shade with a pencil, but you just gotta stick with it I guess. Keep updating us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When your shading try to just build it up slowly by crosshatching. Well at least thats what I do, but my drawings have no life to them and that might be why. The anatomy studies are definetely better than in your last thread.

The most boring Sketchbook ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mini update! I really want to apologize for not improving my line quality- I do want to say I try, but sometimes I forget and I just start over. Tell me if what I practice is correct- Longer, more sparse strokes capturing a more general shape instead of a contour line.

Is that right?

First sketch just some pen studies- It looks like my hand drawing is starting to advance some!

Second is for a project in American history, we are going to ahve to teach the class over a 15-30 minute period about a topic between 1776 and 1860. I am doing Paul Revere's ride, which is technically 1775, but the teacher let it slide. We have to lecture at least 10 minutes, which I plan to break up with small animated sequences illustrating my story. Using Flash of course. This was just to try and capture a colonial feel. If anyone could give me some advice- as it is I think Instead of such a feminine pose, I should have gone with a much more erect, upstanding pose. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tell me if what I practice is correct- Longer, more sparse strokes capturing a more general shape instead of a contour line.
    It's a GREAT idea to get the general shape first. You can add detail/delineation later. You can't reverse it and go from detailed to general, so you go from general to detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet studies!! keep it up!

keep working with the hands,as well as line quality. I know its frustrating at first but its just practice really. A good way of working with that is pretty much the line confidence, dont be afraid of making one long smooth line rather than shorter ones tha make up for the long line. Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

great!

good job..on line quality..hmm copy some other drawings..see how you do with masterdrawings..might be kinda hard ..but is a good way to learn..draw what you see ..try your hand at still lifes they are easier to study/draw/paint.....anatomy is good but i think is better if you start copying flat works to improve your drawing a bit..you do have a good eye..follow the advice of leonardo..hehe he knew his shit...copy flat masterworks,then draw from sculpture to help you in form (i did that a my local museum..although i still need more profound study of it)..master perspective and anatomy...even though you copy other works..it does not mean you have to draw like that..draw the way you always draw...your linequality is like your handwritting according to your personality..some people are looser/sketchier other tighter..so dont really worry about it..keep going..try different media and subjects so you dont get bored..avoid photorgraphs..at least until you have some confidence with drawing from life...
    go to this site... www.artrenewal.org they have some cool drawings..and great artwork to keep you motivated in not going to anime hehe..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont worry about me going to anime. I already lecture other kids on why not to copy or make any kind of style. Too many young'ns think every artist has a set of rules they do to make art XD. It's just what you're comfortable with, and your style is whatever you do, so you have no rules, but when you copy you can only do what that person you are copying has done. Anyways, I'll do a few more hands, with more general shaped long strokes, and post them in a bit. Seeya!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, thanks for dropping by in my sb.
    Yours is looking good, just like everybody said, keep up the anatomy studies (I guess that one was as much for you as for me )

And this sb is newly started so I'm looking forward to see how this journey goes.

hugS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SORRY FOR THE DELAY!

I am back though, with plenty of stuff. I just felt really lazy over the weekend. school is a good motivator though!

Boobs? Yep, this thread no officially contains nudity! Hurrah!
    I am not too good at doing chests or breasts, so I decided I might as well go for both. It was dark, so dont nag on the value ploz =D

A sekeletal/muscle study, and a motion study so I can get a little practice with limbs moving around, as well as bewbs when the arms ar upstretched. Most of this anatomy is from Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet.

I couldn't fit the nexk in! Oh noes!! And the skull was done at the bus stop in this florida heat... Wasn't easy o_o

Yes! A spine! And it's almost the exact same as in the book, it's even the same size as on the page. Some vertebrae are misplacen, but I can now fin the Axis, Atlas, C3-7, T1-12, and L1-5. And the Coccyx and Sacrum. Whee!

Old hands. Bleh.

Not quite as bleh.

Not so bleh! Cool new hand technique I tried out that turned out farily well if I do say so myself. =D

C/C as usual! =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last hands are great. Are they in pen? Everything is looking good, keep studying your anatomy. Do you have any books by Bridgman (sorry I can't remember.) I think they would help you alot if you don't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're showing improvement daily, keep it up.

Pay attention to the hands you did in pen compared to the ones in pencil. the one's in pen are treated with more accuracy.

As far as the torso studies, pay attention to your shoulders. The male shoulder has that shade toward the back to define the deltoid, but it looks weird, like the arm is drawn from a different angle. on the female torso the shoulder is weird too but it very subtle. you have a slight bump parallel to her armpit that makes the whole arm look rubbery. It should dip in a bit before it comes out to make the triceps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those last ones are cool, they seem more confident

my sketchbook

"One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil"
    Balthazar Klossowski de Rola.
    SSG XXXI
    Lohan-Luxun-Prophet-Bendragon-dan liimatta-Evil Sloth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, the hands are looking great. Just keep on studying mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(Top here is skewed, I know. Horrible *shudders*)

And a small, quick SP. =D

Crit away dudes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just scanned through your sketchbook, a lot of real nice work you've got spread around in here. One thing I did notice was that I almost never saw contruction lines/shapes for anything you do (maybe you just draw em real lightly). I think it would probably benefit you a lot to work on contructing a figure out of basic shapes, and then building on top of it. This goes for your hand studies as well as your figures.

Regardless though, you're definitely gonna be an awesome artist in no time if you keep up this pace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fourth drawing down, of the squatting guy, on the first post is excellent, it looks very solid. Was that from life? Also the torso of the woman and the girl with her back to the picture plane on the newest post came out really good. But the hand drawings are inconsistent. A book that's helped me to understand form is Niccolaides "The natural way to draw". There's a contour exercise that's similar to what you've been doing with the hands. I don't know about Bridgman books, some people like me are allergic to them. Thanks for the idea of drawing a hand a day, that's an area I've been neglecting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great drawings pixel. The figure drawing of the lady from the rear is great. The last self portrait is cleaner than your ones from awhile back. Hands are looking better and better, some of them are just hard to see because they're drawn pretty lightly. Keep updating for us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the posts-

THe squatting one is not from any reference- But I do think his Legs are a bit too skinny or short or something... and his head looks too big IMO.... but whatever! =D And what exactly do you mean by inconsistent o_o? I'm not quite sure, but I think I might have an idea.

The hand a day idea was from Loomis I believe... =D

Keep going everybody!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A drawing doesn't need to be anatomically or proprotionately perfect to be good. What I meant by inconsistent is this:

On the left it looks like you really studied the hand. On the right there are two rushed drawings, and one that, although it has the most careful shading, looks wrong. Most pages with hands are like this, don't rush, slow down and really study the hand.

Like I said, I haven't studied the hand too much, but there's more to it than just what we see. Touch your own hand, and compare where it's mostly bone or fat, skin, or muscle. The top of the hand is bony while the bottom is padded. Hold your knuckles between your thumb and index and compare how the index and middle knuckles are nearly immobile, while the pinky wiggles like a loose tooth. Another thing to study is the wrinkle patterns of the hand. There are a few books about wrinkles/drapery, the one I've got is Hogarth's "Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery".

Last edited by armando; August 19th, 2005 at 03:55 PM.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.