Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    I know I should forget shading for now- I wish it was that simple. My drawing 2 teacher (WHO SUCKS) tells us to fully render as many sketchbook drawings as we can unless we have an excuse (Contour drawings). Actually, she doesnt say render. She says shade. But still, I guess I DO need to be more focused and careful- And I know the bit about the mistakes from loomis. YOu draw stuff to commit it to memory, but if you make a mistake and don't recognize it, what you did stays in your mind as correct.

Anyways, thanks for the comments! Seeya for now!
    I had the same problem with focusing on just one area.
    But it doesnt have to be all your drawings, it could just be like a few studies.

There were some really excellent excercises in the CA Acadamy section that was running a while back. On Lineweight and Linequality.
    I felt these tought me WAY more than anything else I did, because it was focused on this one topic.
    Also you could not pass until you had it correct, I did about 4 re-attempts which was rare for me,
    It also makes the habit of being able to anaylse work unemotionally.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

As for the teacher, yea i know it sucks, but what someone said early on stuck in my mind "don't let anything get in the way of your dream",
    Maybe explain to her what your doing and why, and she'll be well impressed and give you a big fat A.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Pixel's Temp Leave
    SP!

Pixel's Temp Leave
    FEET ARE HARD!

Pixel's Temp Leave

Hands... Top is in Cheap mech pencil, bottom two are 3B.

Pixel's Temp Leave
    60 second contour... Line weight issues, but I captured her likeness amazingly... Minus the hands... CnC!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    nice !

hmm, a thought... i think you need to look more, study the light/shadows... the SP seems flat or uninteresting...maybe anatomically correct (dont know what you look like) but it has a lack of punch...

other than that, just keep at it... 9'999 left to do

cheers !!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Pixel's Temp Leave
    Backpack contour.

Pixel's Temp Leave
    Bus/arm

Pixel's Temp Leave
    You cant really see this because of the sketchyness- He kept moving, so I drew over. If they had all been flat lines, it would have looked alot better.

Pixel's Temp Leave
    Plastic chair.

Pixel's Temp Leave
    One of my fav's for the day.

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

The last 3 were my lunch period. I'll continue to do this- Because we have an empty trophy case with a mirror behind it. So I sit in front and abosrb ridicule from the children and draw myself. =D

Pixel's Temp Leave
    Bus ride home.

The first bus ones were both on different busses (Yes we have 3 different busses, don't ask.)

Have fun commenting!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    "I know I should forget shading for now- I wish it was that simple. My drawing 2 teacher (WHO SUCKS) tells us to fully render as many sketchbook drawings as we can unless we have an excuse (Contour drawings). Actually, she doesnt say render. She says shade. But still, I guess I DO need to be more focused and careful- And I know the bit about the mistakes from loomis. YOu draw stuff to commit it to memory, but if you make a mistake and don't recognize it, what you did stays in your mind as correct.
    try using Charcoal to shade and a kneeded eracer to help with tonality. You just need more subtlety when you shade.

Pixel's Temp Leave
    the pant leg is awesome because you are using a continuous and confident line. but her arm looks lumpy and not very descriptive. Study this difference in this and other sketches.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishCommy
    ...the pant leg is awesome because you are using a continuous and confident line. but her arm looks lumpy and not very descriptive. Study this difference in this and other sketches.
    quoted for agreement. well stated. this is a big problem for everyone when learning to draw. i did it, and i'm sure everyone on this board did it. the way i learned to stop "chicken scratching" was to practice longer pencil strokes and quick 30 second gesture drawings. TONS of them. anyhoo, good job man. =)

polylover.com

Thanks
    Most of these I didn't so much "Pet" my line as I did go over it trying to get it correct. I think I need to be more accurate as well as more confident, because I think there may be a partial illusion of unconfidence created by the multiple over lines. I know I didn't go back and forth like i used to though. Thanks for the comments!

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Sketches from yesterday. The bottom one is not from life or anything. From imagination totally.

Last edited by Pixeldragoon; September 8th, 2005 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    awesome! the last two are great! i see the resemblence between your icon (whim i'm going to assume is you.) and the self portrait....which is the point, ne? and the other one done freehand and from memory is great. i also see an improvement as you try not to "pet" your lines. great work.

I think i'm inspired by artists like you on this site (as well as recently discovery the link to www.savelomis.org ) to scratch everything i've been working on, and return completly to basics. to re-do everything i've learned, take the time, and make it excellent compared to how i went about it when i first learned it...i think i will make good progress that way...and you definatly are proof about the whole takeing the basics step by step=better quality art.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks
    Kitty: Thanks! Helping and inspiring are two of the things I love doing

More sketches to come this afternoon. I did an SP and a value scale last night, but I have to go to school, no time to scan. Seeyas!

*Is excited about being an artist. Like, foldgers coffee commercial happy/excited. *

Thanks
    Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

Pixel's Temp Leave

=D Steady flowing... 10 pics in less than 24 hours! Wee!

Thanks
    i love that last head sketch

my sketchbook

"One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil"
    Balthazar Klossowski de Rola.
    SSG XXXI
    Lohan-Luxun-Prophet-Bendragon-dan liimatta-Evil Sloth

Thanks
    I love watching people do the 'draw from life everyday' thing. Can see them improve exponentially. Just keep burnin' lead...

Thanks
    man, very nice, very very nice work. Great improvement in a small space of time. Heres a tough one for ya, i dont mean to break your train of speed paints
    but doo a self portrait or a drawing or something, but spend about 4 or 5 hours on it
    really plan it out properl make sure everything is ok and dont rush it. then see what happens you might get some veery nice results.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2