Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [[ EMMDOUBLEEW'S THREAD - Noob looking to improve ]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[[ EMMDOUBLEEW'S THREAD - Noob looking to improve ]]

Hi!

This is my first time posting art here, I'm really nervous since I've seen so many great artists regularly posting here.

I'm 15 years old, I go to a technical arts and engineering school that concentrates on metal, wood, and glass workshops and design & architecture. What I'm really looking for is to tone up my skills in life art in order to be able to move on to concept art . So basically, I'm trying to learn the rules in order to break them.

What I'm looking for here, without trying to be too demanding , is helpful and constructive crticism, tips, and possibly pointers to way of improving my specific weaknesses.

I always am really, REALLY appreciative of such comments because I know they are time consuming and that my art is not exactly eye candy yet.

To start off, a bunch of drawings done in the past month, in the order of wich they were scanned, along with personal comments under each one.

This genie was drawn in order to have a little practice with the male torso. His right arm (on the left) is supposed to go back and front again at an angle, so it is forshortened on purpose. Unfortuneatly the illusion isn't that succesful and it looks like his arm is too short.

This face, drawn from a magazine, was just practice on female faces. The tone and shading is pretty much non-existent. Overall, shading is not my strong point so I'm trying to work hard on that.

A quick sketch of a girl to practice female bodies.

A weak attempt at shading. I'm really trying to get it down and would appreciate pointers.

Half a portrait done with a 6B pencil. My scanner is crap and makes it grainy. More study on shading and tone.

Another portrait done in 6B, this time of a woman. You can see the outline of the other portait that rubbed off on my scanner .

Last edited by EmmDoubleEw; August 12th, 2005 at 08:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you got the talent men for real but remember talent is nothing without work so no matter how talented you are you got to keep working

looking forward to seeing more man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a good foundation, but you need to work on your rendering skills, learn to use an increased spectrum of values, as well as that hone your line weight skills. Also, don't feather the strokes, it gives a very amatuerish look - learn to use long free strokes.

Also, pick up a loomis or hogarth book and learn about proper anatomy, keep it up.

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giordan: Thanks . I always try to keep that in mind.

Magic Man: Thanks, that's really the kind of stuff I'm looking for . I agree that my tones are turd, I've never really tried shading up till now . I also definetly agree that feathering the strokes is very noobish and I try to work on that everytime I draw, but there's just this impusle to go back and fix the lines over, GUH. I'll really try hard to keep them smooth from now on . I will try to look for one of those authors/artists next time I'm at the bookstore. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmDoubleEw
    Giordan: Thanks . I always try to keep that in mind.

Magic Man: Thanks, that's really the kind of stuff I'm looking for . I agree that my tones are turd, I've never really tried shading up till now . I also definetly agree that feathering the strokes is very noobish and I try to work on that everytime I draw, but there's just this impusle to go back and fix the lines over, GUH. I'll really try hard to keep them smooth from now on . I will try to look for one of those authors/artists next time I'm at the bookstore. Thanks again.
    No problems - one note, Loomis, you will not find in stores, his stuff went out of print in the 50s, but his books are treasured, so much so that you're paying upwards of $150 for a second hand book.

Get it online for free at www.saveloomis.org

Btw, take the time to comment on other people's thread too, thats the best way to get people to look at your work and give crits, thats what a community environment is like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shaping

Replace the word shading with the word shaping <> realize that values are the result of light hitting a darker form <> think about the form and the planes that make up that form <> then remember side planes and down planes are dark and up planes and front planes are light <> in other words only use values to describe form <> if is does not help describe the form "Shape it" leave it out u don't need it.

Be aware that most cast shadows are not true to the form and therefore can be greatly subdued or eliminated:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magic Man: I'll try my best to find things to comment about and become an active contributor to the community.

Mentler: I'll definetly try to remember that when I draw. I've done a few drawings where I tried to really see the planes but they haven't turned out so succesful so far. I will keep trying to spot them and to "shape" my drawings. Thanks a bunch for the tip .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can draw
    learn to create soft values and try out smudging...
    doing value scales also help...try drawing really dark to very light
    i think you're going to improve real quickly if you work at it
    keep postin

"Don't look into car headlights and freeze, because you'll either get run over or shot!'"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, your stuff is good. Very life like. I especially like the second sketch. Good stuff.

To draw is create, to create is to be alive.
    Check My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47675

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dashi: Thanks for the comment . I've tried smudging before, I've never found it to look very good. I really like the crisp feel created by crosshatching, I've just never been able to skillfully apply it. I will keep working on my values though.

Rangob: Thanks man , I like your style as well, just keep what I said in mind

I bought a new sketchbook today, having used up my other. I also bought some pens. I drew these:

And a some more I won't bother posting for bandwith reasons.

C & C Greatly encouraged as always .

The advantage of being a beginner is having a much greater amount of teachers.
    Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, those anatomy sketches are coming along quite nicely, keep at it and keep in mind your line quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep updating =D

Good stuff, man. Slowing down and drawing a LOT (from life, if possible) is really the best advice any beginner can get. Specifically, MagicMan covered the big parts. It's good to see that you aren't afraid of spending a decent amount of time to shade large amounts of space. I suggest you draw animals and people in order to learn how to shade. Drawing is all about seeing, understanding, interpreting, simplifying, and then transposing.

The more you draw and the more time you spend on your drawings, the sooner you'll figure out stuff like line quality or shading or--err--anything. So stop readin' and start drah'n!

Oh, and did I tell you already? Keep updating =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magicman: Thanks , it's really encouraging coming from you.

Iconoclast: I'm just starting to realize how much fun drawing is . And to think all this time I've been playing computer games, what a waste. My hand was sore from drawing today and I had never felt better. Unfortuneatly I have to read two books before school start. Oh well, I'll update again tommorow. I drew some really crappy stuff I need advice on but I don't have access to my scanner right now. Thanks Iconoclast .

I'm planning on doing some self portraits tommorow as well, I just rediscovered Android's massive underatking and I'm extremely inspired .

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmDoubleEw
    Magicman: Thanks , it's really encouraging coming from you.

Iconoclast: I'm just starting to realize how much fun drawing is . And to think all this time I've been playing computer games, what a waste. My hand was sore from drawing today and I had never felt better.
    ...you're screwed now lil fella...say good by to meaningful relationships, social life and social skills in general...say hello to late nights, hundreds and thousands spent on art equipment, rediculous amounts of time spend sketching, piss breaks in the middle of the night that turn into sketching sessions and frustrations that you could only imagine.

Still, I guess thats a small price to pay for having the coolest kind of job in the world

Its inspiring to see someone so young working the basics hard, it will pay off big time in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe MagicMan, I'm looking forward to hell in heaven .

I'm posting two sketches today. One is a continuation of yesterday's work on muscles, the other one is practice on rendering using a manikin. I did a bunch of sketches on proportions that I won't bother posting, since proportions when using a guide is pretty self-explanatory, just takes practice.

(note, the picture is more contrated in real life than what the scanner captured, and if I crank up the contrast in photoshop it messes everything up.)

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time between update and I'm sorry for that. I've had a really depressing past few days. I may sound all jolly and naive on the forums but life has been kicking me in the head recently.

Practicing with portraits: (again, images are more contrasted than they appear because of a crappy scanner)

(not happy at all with the above one)

C & C super-encouraged as always.

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too lazy to scan stuff, so just a progress report.

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Er...wow. Your improvement is rediculous emm. I mean it.

Now some advice, when you're doing these studies, don't do them just for the hell of it, use it for what they are meant for, learning things in isolation is useless.

Leanr how to apply the lessons you have learned to your own creations, its that extra step that separates the good from the visionary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah, Magicman, I don't know how you do it but everytime you post here I have an insane instinctive "need" to draw! You should seriously consider teaching if you are not doing so yet.

About me improving, that's really the kindest compliment I could get. I don't scan it, but next to every drawing I write a paragraph or two on what I think I did right, what I think I did wrong, and what I really need to watch out for. On every drawing, while I am in the process of drawing it, I think "Is this plane towards the light? Is this plane that's facing away dark enough? Maybe I should read the comments on my thread again..." And I do.

I'm looking to trying out figure drawing so I can apply all this stuff on proportions and anatomy I drew, but the problem is I can't find any good reference. I use my Dad's rock-n-roll magazines since it has some really cool lighting on some shots, but as far is figures go , it's fairly substanceless. Unfortuneatly my high school offers no such opportunity for me. If you know anything I could do to practice, let me know.

I've also been drawing concept-art which I don't think is worth posting, but I've been applying my knowledge of anatomy on it as well.

In addition, I've been messing around with my wacom painting the topics-of-the-day without actually posting them in hope that sometime I'll be able to do something with photoshop.

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, that Jim Morrison portrait is indeed a great step forward! But there's something I see in very much scetches of very much ppl lately: You tend to stretch your drawings to the right. You're right handed, I suppose? Happens to me, all the time.

If you want reference to draw, go outside, draw people in trains, restaurants, shopping malls, etc. You can learn everything outside. You can draw enviromentals, indutrial stuff, flowers, genitals, everything you can think of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the anatomy studies are very good,
    try to remember what you have drawn please!

About the ref. portraits:

Although proportion and shade is good,
    it lacks of indicating shapes and forms.
    It seems you just read the shading information from the photos and started to draw.
    I think you know better about facial shapes/forms, so show me it!

-xaya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Faust: Hey, you reckognized the reference . I will try to follow your advice on drawing from life . Thanks for the comment.

Xaya: Thank you for the comment , I am working very hard on my shaping, and on that topic, here is another bit of practice at it:

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i just wish i was this good when i was your age !!

i dont have anything new advice to give you...

keep on fighting ?

cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane
    i just wish i was this good when i was your age !!
    Are you serious? I look up to you! That's a huge compliment.

First portrait drawn from reference,

Behold, the Quake 1 shambler!

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realize I don't update as often as I should, but beleive me, I'm drawing A LOT (5-8 pages a day). I have several reasons for not scanning them, mainly that I don't think there's anything on them wrong that I can't figure out and that I don't want to use up space/bandwith.

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,
    Thanks for stopping by my SB. I took a gander at your stuff here and there is a lot of potential here. You have a pretty good grasp of facial anatomy. The Jim Morrison one jumped out at me pretty quickly. One thing that I would say is to try to make sure that your features lie on the correct lines. Some of your eyes appear to not lie on the proper line, but they aren't off too badly. It;s just something to keep in mind. Good studies as well. Keep up with the hand studies as they tend to be a problem for alot of artists. Let's see some more.

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grrreat start man. Although I am nowhere near as qualified as these other awesome guys, I do agree. Keep working hard.

The Maniac Is IN - swing by and check out my excuse for a sketckbook

I shall rule the world.........right after my potty break!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff - some advice, don't worry about posting the stff from years ago, use this to show us your current skill level to allow people to pic at your weak points in the NOW, so that we can help you get better as quickly as possible.

If you post old work, you might have already corrected the mistakes (its pretty obvious you're much more advanced now).

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words about my general thoughts and artwork as well, I guess I'm just good at sharing my enthusiasm for things I like, and I feel the most evolution I've seen in myself is through the last couple of months through my studies which has cemented my prior belief that working the basics and the foundation more than anything as well as having an imagination will lead to notable artwork.

So keep working those basics and know that I am doing them along with you, keep it up.

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hylandr2: Thanks a bunch for the comments/advice. , I will try to keep my features in line.

MetalManiac: Thanks .

MagicMan: I just posted that for shits and giggles. I have recently decided to fill up 5 pages a day in my sketchbook since school has started again. Junior year is apparently the hardest year of high school, 3 days in and I already have 4-6 hours of homework. . Thanks again for being so supportive. Sometimes, I try to explain what conceptart.org is like to other non-artists, and there's just no way of communicating it. People sometimes have trouble grasping the fact that there are talented artists here who help newbies out of pure good will (Wait, so like do they work for the site? They're just people you don't know and they actually help you? What's in it for them?)

I purchased two bridgman books, so here are some hands...

...and figures!

For art class (I do so much extra homework for that class, most people don't even do the one that's assigned, plus my teacher kicks ass)

Art Class still life (they were fake birds)

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your last post has so much inprovment in it! its amazing. i really like your linework on the last post, on the gesture bodies and the birds especially. definatly keep it up. seeing people as young as you doing better then me makes me cry! ;_; i'm 21....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.