T-DOME: Last Man Standing Round One (Matches 49-60)

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here it is, you talented bastards. The time for you to see all your hard work matched up against your random opponents for the first time. Only one person from each match makes it to round two. To everyone who participated, thanks for helping make this dome a memorable one. To everyone who missed the boat this time around , you're still in for a hell of a ride.

Entries are listed in the order the match is listed (ie. Dude1 vs Dude2: Dude1 will be first image listed, Dude2 the second. Amazing!)

Match 49 - Prostate Sunrise vs oven g love

Match 50 - Genital Eclipse vs Inkfish

Match 51 - dns2k vs vigostar

Match 52 – hurricane vs joiton

Match 53 – britt vs Flip

Match 54 – Nike vs Prince Rurik

Match 55 – OLSEN vs Some Guy

Match 56 – Android vs Hyver

Match 57 – Eriboss vs luxun

Match 58 – JasonChan vs bwkeough

Match 59 - Pinc Phloyde vs Rash Overdrive

Dual no show…

Match 60 – xia vs Main Loop

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    android, prostate = whoaaaaa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Android vs Hyver
    An unfortunate match...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

Whoa, this thread has really made my brain begin to bubble ... such a collection of fantastic artwork!

There's a whole bunch here I totally love... prostate sunrise, hurricane, Android, Hyver, JasonChan, xia and Main Loop's pieces all catch my eye in the best of ways.

JasonChan's in particular is drool-worthy

Android and Hyver's images seem to be a fair bit larger than the accepted dimensions? It'd be a shame to have to disqualify them or anything though, since they're so nicely done - but maybe they could be re-sized to 800px wide, and leave the height at whatever that produces?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i actually have to admit i'd choose hyver over android in this one. i mean android's of course great as usual but by looking at hyver's i just feel....diminished. i really get the feeling that she is a demon queen who could unleash holy hell on my ass. oh well i'm not judge.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh my oh my, i feel sorry for the judges on this one !

(thanks for the kind words MoP)

and for Jointon : Let the best man win ! *shakes hand*

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ASUM work!! best of luck to ya all!!

Prostate Sunrise:

I think I crapped my self the sec you entry loaded,
    your work always carries so much energy DAM! Im gonna
    be haunted in my dreams by the image of your deamon

hurricane: GOOD job man (dam asum concept skills and color work man!)
    IMO you got jour self an equaly skilled opponet, both of you guys did asum
    work, I bet the judges are gonnahave a tuff time deciding on the winner,
    bw hurricane I hope I get a chance to fight ya on the next round
    best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

Hurricane - yeah, I actually kinda wanna do a game-resolution 3d model of her... maybe we can sort something out

Her lower legs look a little short, but I really like the armour there. Great colours, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prostrate, xia and Android really brought it in this batch. No big surprise there. Fantastic work guys.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Prostate, that scares the bejesus out of me... top! Joiton - haha! Jason - gorgeous, I love that demure look! Xia, brill! What a page of work... Everyone, big slaps on the back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prostrate and Xia's entries look great, Android vs Hyver is a fucking excellent battle

good luck all

-shin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya Andriod vs Hyver is definately going to be a close one. Awsome work everyone, I cant get over how great everything looks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work everyone,

Android vs Hyver is going to be really hard to judge.

| Myspace | FLICKR The hype is real.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Prostate sunrise you where born to paint evil imagery man,just awesome..along with nicolas i reckon you guys have the best entrys in round one,hands down!.

Android love your take on the subject,very original.

Eriboss,JasonChan,Xia kickin ass fellas

..Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    geez how are you suppose to decide who wins!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some heavyweights here. Prostate's, Android's and Xia's are all superb. Genital's and Olsen's are also excellent!

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kekai you beautiful bastard!

Last edited by Groover McNab; August 8th, 2005 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen a "dual no show"... (Pinc Phloyde vs Rash Overdrive)
    And there is a "Dual SHOW!" ... (Android vs Hyver)
    I think there should be an arrangment...

Last edited by schowalye; August 8th, 2005 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face c+c round

okay.. C+C-time:

Prostate Sunrise:
    Absolutely delightful eye candy there. There's some minor issues with the perspective(s) of the head that caught me the second time around though. the horns indicate a perspective that seems a 3/4 kinda view, whereas the eye-to-nose part makes me think it's a dead-on side view. same goes for the neck/mouth vs lower/back horns. i'm also wondering how the hell (ooh, pun!) this guy would ever close its mouth. the overall presence if the character is very evil, and the pose gives him a certain grandure that fits in the role of the prince. i dig the foreshortening of his right arm, and the dagger action is a real nice touch - gives the painting a story element (which i find often lacking in other TD pieces in this round). i wold have preferred to see the dagger action somewhat more clearly though - not that i don't like sketchy strokes but this detail seemed more important than that. the background works really well with this piece too - reminds me of a rubens underpainting (and you know that's a good thing )
    Maybe a somewhat more frog-perspective on the whole figure (especially the head) would work better in terms of scale (vs the small inferno buildings below), but then again this way the composition is much stronger. the framing bits that arch up on top are a nice touch that enclose the whole perfectly. definitely one of my favs in this round!

owen g love:
    i'm not sure where to begin with this one. battling prostate sunrise in the first round, i'm pretty sure you didn't know where to begin either (i know the feeling ) the head doesn't look very evil to me, nor does it look royal in any way. the character does look mighty powerful though, so that's a definite plus. one thing that really boggles me is the difference between the head and its body. is it pink armor? crablike panzer? i'm also not sure whether he's strangling the little ones or cuddling them. or maybe something way more perverted (i just noticed his tongue action there.. eww) I like the designs on the smaller creatures a lot better though, the colors work really well together, and i'm glad you have a great sense of desaturation. in terms of painting technique, i think you could use some more hard edges here and there, it tends to get a bit blurry all over like this.
    but you obviously put a lot of work in this project, and many kudos for that! i take it you've learned a lot from this, so i'm looking forward to seeing your further progressions.

genital eclipse
    :
    love the composition and the color palette in this one, as well as the very expressive paint style (if that is a word).
    as far as concept goes, this probably ain't the most original of demonic prince's, but it works nonetheless. some more clear details conveying the style of his clothing/armor would've been nice. also the upper left area where his
    wing goes is a bit bland to look at. but i really like the way you cut off the image on the right with the strong rock silhouette there. as shouted before, one of my favs also.

inkfish:
    scrolling down on your image i was going from "wow" to "awww too bad". i really like the way you did the head, with the tiny green eyes glowing, and the shoulder/arms pose shows a lot of dynamics, then looking further down, i felt
    the inconsistence in terms of lighting and strong shapes of the upper body vs the lower, and the whole vs the background. also the red outline at the back of the sword and forearm doesn't work very well imo. i'd love to see this on a new background altogether. the sky is muddy and the ground is just below the par you set in the head/shoulder area. too bad cause this could've been a rocking good pic. sorry if this seems blunt, but i figure you're better of with people kicking your ass rather than kissing it ;p

dns2k:
    i don't know your other stuff, but i think that you've kinda taken this one on a speed train to finish line here. the shading's pretty messy, the line weights are unfocused and still some of the poses and the overall composition tells me that this shows a degree of talent. i bet you could make a grade A drawing, if you really wanted to.. too bad you didn't.

vigostar:
    shading frenzy omg! it's a good thing you have such straightforward composition, because the level of detail and shading style gives every portion of the drawing almost the same importance. then again it's weird to have such big black area which i'm assuming is a cape. kudos to the sense of design in there though, the clothes, head and architecture seem to work very well together in this piece. too bad your anatomy is off, and there isn't more dynamics in the pose, but once again it helps to portray a sort of noble status, so i guess the knife cuts both ways.
    those nipple piercings look mighty painful too! looking at the date sign in the lower left corner, i presume this is a fairly small drawing? that paper must've suffered quite a bit with all them strokes

hurricane:
    i don't have an awful lot to crit on here... i'm very fond of the skulls and ornaments in the armor. too bad at least one of the swords isn't portrayed more clearly, as i'd love to see a well-thought design on those as well. the
    color palette wit the fiery warms and muted purple works surprisingly well! two things i'm not too fond of are the horns on the helmet (perspective seems a tad off in relation to the helmet) and the length of the lower legs. also a not-so-symmetrical pose would've been nice, in terms of composition.. imo.
    the stairs remind me of a leon spilleart painting, but that doesn't mean anything Great job (fav)

joiton:
    that is SO ffing weird! i absolutely adore the baby prince, frog like crown and all. i'm not sure what to think about his mom though.. the masses of the body don't seem.. true. if you know what i mean? also a bit weird perspective stuff going on in her face area. then again the baby prince might just be sucking SO damn hard Nice touches texture wise on the mom's neck, baby legs and the satin cloth! there seems to be a hard difference between the skin tones and the cloth surrounding it though.. especially the blue part on the left. all in all real nice work, and funny to boot!

britt:
    like the dynamics in the movement, and some of the features in the arms and armor there! however, this comes over to me as a portrait of two fighters in action, not as much as (a) demonic prince(ss). the composition and staging of
    the piece seems a bit off too, which is a shame really. there is a big difference between the background and the characters, which makes them seem to be floating in a pool of clouds. the inconsistent lighting doesn't help either imo. i love the black arm bit on the right though! (not the veins/roots thing though, it takes too much focus), i kinda wish the whole drawing would've had the same quality as that armpiece. nice idea with the toothed sword there, and the way the right warrior is holding his sword shows a lot of context, which is great.

flip:
    nice work! i love the way the background goes form deep blue to fiery red, it works very well with the composition of the demon and the winged character. the lower half of the demon might have benefited (is that a word?) from a stronger red overcast light form below (the green bits bother me just a tad there), as well as the screaming heads could've used somewhat more dark values here and there. but wow all in all.. lemme add you to my fav list cause it certainly deserves it!

nike:
    nice painterly style in there - maybe some anatomy issues here and there (his left biceps f.i). Some more well defined hard edges might help to clarify the mass and form of things, as well as added details - guide the eye of the viewer! Nice to see the use of several hues to buildup the forms though

prince rurik:
    lovely textures on the wings, and i like the idea of the subtle flaming horns. you also have some nice areas of skin tones, especially in the arm holding the book. other parts on the other hand seem too muddy, maybe a better user of color mixing would be appropriate here. the armor and ornaments seem sometimes too outlined to fit with the rest of the painting. too bad nothing is happening in the background - even if it was just a hint of scenery behind it.
    the bland black looks very flat like it is now. also check your lighting for consistency.. the flaming/glowing horns give a nice washout on the forehead, but show to signs of light on the horns of the wings for instance. the blurry left hand seems a bit too large in relation to the other hand there, and the face. i do like the way the back wing shows through the darkness!

olsen:
    i'll keep this short. apart from the goat legs/feet and the sloping foreground plane, this comes close to a masterpiece imo. a definitive fav! nice job on the textures, design, atmosphere, colors!

some guy:
    i had a bit of a rough time trying to read everything going on in this panel, then i figured it might be something like a comic book panel. despite the good idea behind it, and the pretty well balanced dark/light composition, i think it lacks further difinement to really grasp what's going on. the scale of the figures is also pretty small, so there isn't much one can say about design and concept. you have a good sense of dramatic lighting though, and i would love to see this in a more developed stage!

android:
    well that just struck me with awe.. looking at it closer/longer though, i dare think that you didn't put as much effort in this as you would've with any "high-stakes" thunderdome. of course it looks like eye candy from a beverly hills candy store, and we all know you have the skills to shake stuff like this out of your sleeve, but here's nitpicking for ya: (yes i'm beating around the bush, after all you did say you were gonna kill me painlessly)
    The first thing i noticed is the shoulder/chest area - having a hard time trying to figure out if it's metal or organic, so it's probably something ethereal in between, in which case i think you could've come up with a better method of rendering this. the way the neck piece aligns with the chest area seems too twisted, especially when comparing the two shoulder tops with each other. i'd expect either symmetry or obvious a-symmetry. hard to explain but i just hope you understand what i'm trying to say here.
    the piece in its whole seems to rely pretty heavily on textures and lights and glowing bits, as opposed to a solid well thought design. also i feel the industrial city landscape calls for a more frog-perspective view of the giant demon, and i feel the two little golden wingthingies behind the neck are over the top.
    i do like the design of the helmet a lot, its simplicity shows both evil and noble treats.
    i'm also drooling over the outer edges of the shoulders, the way the glowing sword merges into the arm, and the backlights behind the city horizon.
    i'd give you a couple of thumbs up, but i'm pretty sure you're tired of all that ass kissing by now ;p
    fav, obviously

hyver:
    noob!

eriboss:
    i'm liking this a lot - a series of these kind of drawings would make an awesome children's horror tale i'm sure. only decent crit i can think of is that the arm in the front could use some more weight, and i find the placement of the flying character a bit unlucky.. somewhat more to the right would've been more in balance imo. also a fav.

luxun:
    mind your framing. i think that there's at least 50% too much pixels in this pic. try to achieve more depth by using the perspective in such a way that the persp lines make some sort of dynamic whole. look for diagonals and zigzag
    patterns more than 90° angles and dead-on views. you have a decent sense of light/dark and how to portray it, but the composition kinda destroys that a bit, sadly. nitpick mode on: ever seen a lightning bolt in front of the sun?

jasonchan:
    love it. no crits. it's that easy (for me to say).
    oh wait, one (minor) thing: she looks more like a regular succubus or nasty minion, than a princess.. but yea.. nitpicking.. great boobs too

bwkeough:
    i like the concept in itself (although i don't believe she'd be able to carry that cannon a long distance), but im lacking the princess aspect of it. apart form the little emblem on her jacket, she doesn't portray the grandure that i personally associate with royalty (demonic or not). i also don't get the three cylinders on her head.. nice paint job on the fabrics there though!

xia:
    ow yeah baby. i like almost every aspect of this piece. minor hints would be to have the dready skulls and gorestuff as crispy as the snakeskin right next to it. and maybe a tad more color in the skintone of the head (like how you used the purple in the arms). and the tendons in the neck.
    again, fav!

main loop:
    reminds me of Goya paintings. watch out for muddy grays, especially in large areas like on the right of the doorway. also, there's several spots on the painting that demand attention of the viewer, without direction. for instance the hand that holds the staff is as bright as the collar piece of the demon below. and the pure white highlight bits seem a bit scattered all over. but kudos on the painting style (a matter of personal preference of course), and good job on the air perspective feature in the background! too bad you're up against xia here.

that's it for this thread. i might do another thread if i don't find a horse's head on my pillow one of these days.

Let it be known that i have absolute admiration for all works posted here, and this round of c+c is of course not

meant to shit on anyone's face or whatever. just honest crits k?

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyver

main loop:
    reminds me of Goya paintings. watch out for muddy grays, especially in large areas like on the right of the doorway. also, there's several spots on the painting that demand attention of the viewer, without direction. for instance the hand that holds the staff is as bright as the collar piece of the demon below. and the pure white highlight bits seem a bit scattered all over. but kudos on the painting style (a matter of personal preference of course), and good job on the air perspective feature in the background! too bad you're up against xia here.

great crit, i think you hit a lot of the problems i had with it.. The pure white highlights are a result of laziness, i just used white pastel to put those in, otherwise its glare.. the "muddy grays" are actually black charcoal over turp washes, where i didnt put oil over the underdrawing.. i think if i use the technique again i will spray a retouch varnish or something over it, for uniformity.. thanks for the crit again, it had me thinking..

HyverThankyou so much for the crit...you make some very good points. Nothing a little digital can't fix...thanks again...YOU ROCK MAN!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hyver : Thanks for the crits man, the dedication to crit them all (typing it down) is so cool !! i agree to it all !!!
    yours is so great man !!!

and the rest of you who has given me so SO kind words...

THANKS !!!!!

all of you have done a great job !! cant pick my fav!!

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The level of detail in so many of these pics is astounding!

My personal favourites in this thread are Prostate Sunrise, Genital Eclipse, Hurricane, Android, Hyver, Jason Chan and Xia - some truly stunning, beautifully rendered images!

Mid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    prostate eriboss and xia T-DOME: Last Man Standing Round One (Matches 49-60)

Hyver vs Android is gonna be close

Insane ability on show here guys.

Pud'

Members who have read this thread: 1