Roses

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Roses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Roses

Haven't done any painting for quite some time, and needed to do something for my own pleasure and in turn, my wonderful partner. I bought her some roses for her birthday and had the incling to paint them.

Roses

I'm looking for some critiques. I feel it's getting closer to finished, but still needs something. I think the roses could do with a little more 'pop', perhaps the leaves too. Anything that could be offered is much appreciated.

Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that there is a low degree of pop, about 3.2 RK's right now. The roses and leaves are so dark that even against the very dense value swath, they don't stand in front of it. I think one of the problems is that you're using black as a shadow (or black added to red). This kills color. Black is the arsenic of the still-life world. Any more than the slightest application will kill a painting. In this case, it seems to apply to the background, as well. It might change when the whole background is black, but right now, that black adds no depth. The forms are pleasing and the composition is very nice (even against the theory that an odd number of objects make a better arrangement), but the lack of life in the shadows is bringing it down. Now, I like the application of the media, as well, so I don't want to give the impression that this is shite, cuz it isn't (you'll still get some, which is the most important part).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most important point of your critique: I'll still get some. Tops @;-D

I've actually been using blue for the shadows, mixing with the reds. I've used rather little black. Maybe I just need to stretch the value range of the shadows. You've pointed out a good area to work on. There's prolly too much mid-value too now that I look at it. Shall work on it and see. Much oblidged d'food.

Keep 'em coming @:-)

Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.