Thanks

What loomis book to start with?

Which book, should i start with? I want to do all of these, even know i know some things from some of them. But no harm in relearning somethings.

Are you suppose to go in a certain order, which order were they made in?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    read through the figure drawing one and the successful drawing one. Then just draw everything....start with figures/bodies/heads then when u get proportions, do perspective...

Thanks
    I'd definitely start with the Figure Drawing for all its worth book. And don't rush through it, really practice that stuff until it becomes a part of you.

Thanks
    Successful Drawing is definitely a really good read and explains fundamentals in an easier way without having to think a lot about the figure. Also before you get started drawing take some time and just read the book, check out the text and the accompanying illustrations. I find that helps me get a better idea of where to begin and makes me more familiar as to what I'm working towards as a whole.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    start with the figure drawing book, then the heads and hands book. Just read the rest afterwards.

I usually just go straight to his illustrations and copy those. It's just too time consuming to read the long paragraphs, his little sidenotes are good enough. But try to read more on what you were working on when you're not drawing anymore like before you sleep.

BTW it wouldbe convenient to just print the pages out rather than reading from the pc screen, which I find tiring to the eyes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    I usually just go straight to his illustrations and copy those. It's just too time consuming to read the long paragraphs, his little sidenotes are good enough.
    ...you've got to be kidding me. Those blocks of text are some of THE most crucial parts of the book, the major reason why his books are some of the best even if they have been out of print for more than half a century.

Not reading the text and simply copying the illustrations in the book are the main reason why 90% of people who "read" his books come out just as piss poor an artist as they did when they delved in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    ...you've got to be kidding me. Those blocks of text are some of THE most crucial parts of the book, the major reason why his books are some of the best even if they have been out of print for more than half a century.

Not reading the text and simply copying the illustrations in the book are the main reason why 90% of people who "read" his books come out just as piss poor an artist as they did when they delved in.
    I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't read it. There's no doubt that it contains great info. I'm just saying that he should find some time dedicated to reading if he just wants to draw most of the time.
    Last edited by Dizon; August 7th, 2005 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    I'd say start with Figure Drawing, Fun with a pencil has great tips too, and if you feel you need help with basic contruction you might want to try reading it. Also, it's VERY important that you read all the text! He has so much great information that is worth every effort to read.