Art and Soul, collection of scalps (digital work update )
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art and Soul, collection of scalps (digital work update )

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; February 19th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When it comes to painting, the only remark that I am qualified to make is that there are some slight anatomy issues with the first , Lady Death looking, woman's legs. Here right legs looks as thoughit is point outwards, yet her knee appears to be facing inwards. It just seems off. I presume you were influenced by Frazetta and Vallejo?

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Hylandr2,

Yep "Lady Deaths" right leg is somewhat bowed in the painting.The resullt of a bad anatomy drawing from the very begining that wasn't corrected.This is something (anatomy) I do need quite a bit of practice in still. Hope to be getting better as I go along.

Frazetta, who is he? LOL.Of course the Frazman has been highly influential in how I approtch a painting. In fact out of all the fantasy/si-fi artists around I think I've seen his name mentioned most often on this board.

Boris is another really good artist. Julie Bell, Boris wife is from this area. She was raised about 20 miles from where I live.

Hey Hylandr2, I see your from PA. Would that be EastStrousburg,PA?

Thanks for your post BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bruce, East Stroudsburg? Close. Wilkes-Barre. Just a hop, skip and a jump away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,Bruce
    First i have to agree with hylandr2 about anatomy,but it is something you can fix it(it's just hard study).But i really like the colors in the 2nd pic,even if it's a half one.Keep on it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I feel I'm a creator,not an artist. Artist is the next level up for me

Hello gents,

hylandr2,Wikes-Barre is just a hop, skip and a jump away from ES? Well you know thats where the MAN himself lives (Mr. Frazetta). Ever been to the museum? I have some friends that go about once a year. I haven't been able to make the trip as of yet though.

Yep, Polonoid my anatomy needs work. Well not mine ,I mean my drawings , well you know what I mean

hylandr2 and Polonoid, I've been to both your CA sites.You guys have some really nice artwork. Love that Bugs Bunny hy and Polonoid your barbarians rock.

Most of my art post here will be finished works. I may start a sketchbook along the way sometime just not yet. I'm afraid ( although I love em) that a daily sketchbook will be more that I can do. Another thing, The sketches I do are usually for a finished idea that I have in mind so theres no rhyme or reason and no sort of viable progression.

Thanks for your post guys. I may try to get one other painting up today.

see you BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sir Ride alot

Hey all you wipper-snappers,

Heres one more piece of concept art I did some time back. I'm sure you'll recognize the rider and it was done as kind of a joke/fun thing. I have all the respect for the copyright owner and I did this just to lighten up my day one time.
    Bye BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

rumble in the jungle

Hello everyone,

Heres a painting I that did last winter. I call it "Confrontation". It's the third of three Tarzan like paintings I've done. The painting size is about 38"x28". I usually paint 'em pretty big but I may try some smaller ones in the near future. I've got a pretty cheap-o digital camera so I'm never happy with the pics. But it's gotta do for now.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bruce,
    I just took a look and I found the Frazetta musuem in East Stroudsburg. I've driven by it like 100 times and never realized that it was there. My wife and I are going to swing by as soon as we get a chance. Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hiya hylandr2,

Glad you have gotten the info on the Frazetta Museum
    A group of my friends ( internet friends ) where there a couple weeks ago and had gotten to meet Mr. Frazetta.

Theres also a Frazetta fan site run by a friend of mine and a very good artist himself. I'll post a link to it below for anyone wanting to visit.

There are many really good and some great artists and I'm sure everyone has their favorite. FF happens to be mine. I am very impressed by so much of the art and artists here. It's such a good site to get help from and by chance maybe even give some if I can. I've added with this post a detailed view of the "Confrontation" painting done a few months ago and added another pic of a painting that was done in 98. I call the last one "Leopard Lord 2" and at the time I was going to try to use it to get a few tid-bits of work from a comic company. Never did happen though. Again forgive the picture quality. I'm going to try to upgrade to a better camera later this year.

http://www.denwhat.com/phpBB/index.php

Bye for now,Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; August 13th, 2005 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a couple for this week

Hey guys,

Heres a couple of finished pencils tossed into the mix. I like movies so I'm going to try ideas. Hit me with any C&C it helps. Bye, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me again,

first image looked a little small. trying to put one up with a little more bite

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new pic

Another painting done a while back. Just getting around to putting it up now. Again please forgive the quality.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Commenting on this last painting:

His back is stiff as a board - there no movement suggesting he's going to swing down to save this chick

Right now it looks more like he's testing out his deodorant

There are other things but before anything you have to establish the movement of your characters...

hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello RC thanks for posting, I think

No,no, I am really glad that you came up with some c&c for me. It makes me focus on what I need to improve. It also twist my arm into posting some details about the painting.

First it was done in 97. At that time I was still working on trying to get the colors I wanted right (shade, light, mood). The guy does look somewhat posed. I did the line drawing without shading and I didn't look at any photo material, which maybe I should have. I wanted to get maximum stretch for his arm because my opinion at the time was that anything less would make the action look limp. The hand axe is in the wrong position also, should be more of a head-on edge view instead of a side view. There are plenty of other things I would change if I painted this one again but the way I look at it is it's only one painting in the journey to where I want to be. I have maybe 15 other works like this ( not all the same character), all with their little problems I'm sure. For me a lot of it is getting the time to do this kind of stuff so that I can improve ( I have 3 unfinished paintings set up right now).

Below is a detailed look at the painting above. Other paintings will follow as I can get them up. Right now I have a few pencil ideas I want to do and as time allows I'll post them also.

Thanks again for the CC RC. I do agree with you.
    Bruce

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is being moved to Sketches & WIPs, because you have a large variety of content here, in differing media, and of differing ages, many, as you admit, quite old.

It will be interesting to see your new pieces as you complete them, and you are welcome to submit individual works for critique and assistance, we just are adjusting the Forums to better reflect the various categories and levels of artwork.

Thanks for your understanding!
    ~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya bruce! you've got tons of stuff here I think my favorite is your pencil rendering of that octopus / squid thing.

You've been painting a long while and have the technique down well, what I would so love to see is some more original things in the genre of life drawing / anatomy. Your paintings are gorgeous, yet they are hurting a little from the anatomy of the people and thats a shame darn it, I want to see you take off with something fantastic and really well thought out human.

One particular reoccuring thing is that the the line just under the pectoral muscles on the men is so severe they look seperated from the rest of their body.

Well just a small crit, more of a request I want to see more recent works and some figure studies!

take care and keep updating!

--marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now to address some of the issues that really stand out about your work...
    * You are very evasive about backgrounds. Mostly large washes of color. This would be nice if your main subjects then showed more detail, but they do not.
    * Your Anatomy needs serious study and practice before your works can be considered in the Critique Center at Concept Art...Size, proportion, depth, accuracy, etc...are all parts of Anatomy as well as the general composition that need improvement.
    Your arms are not the same length from one side of the body to the other.
    There is little to no bone structure visible on your humans
    * Your values of shadow and highlight are inconsistent and inaccurate. This is most noticeable on the alien humanoid.

Here at Concept Arts, in order to promote the higher calibre of artistic endeavors, there is a fairly strong focus on the "Basics" of Composition and Design. Although your works are interesting, they still need a lot of work and practice to be considered "Finished" by the standards here, and the Critique Center is for those works of a higher level that are close, or being improved, so as to be posted in our Finally Finished section.
    Again, I apologize for any confusion created by moving your thread to here. You may want to consider starting a "Sketchbook" thread, even if it contains your older oils, sculptures, etc., as it is more a general respository for works, than a specific form of work collected...

~M

Last edited by madster; September 13th, 2005 at 04:13 PM.
    I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Marie,

Thanks for your post and encouragement.Yep if I want to continue doing fantasy/sf work (which I do) I need to get better and more serious about anatomy.

Glad that you like the octopus drawing. I've been here a couple months now and the pencil work is the newest of the art shown for me. These days I am able to do more of those than the paintings. Thats why the last painting is so dated. Now I don't know about the many other members here but artwork is "WORK" for me. I do it because I enjoy it and have fun at it.But it still is a struggle at times. I enjoy seeing everyones work and you are very good (your in my favorites) that helps with the motivation part.

One last thing before I finish and this is really directed to any and everyone. It's one of the reasons why I became a member in the first place.
    "Conceptart" breaks down into "concept" -"art". IMO concept equates to idea (concept = idea) kinda thing. It doesn't say it has to be "great art" or "art that only I like" or "only fantasy or western art" its anything a person can come up with thats new, original or maybe just a different twist on an old art idea.There are different levels of achevement members are at with their concept art. Not everybody is a Frazetta or Rockwell, how dull would that be if everone was an expert. I am not at the level that I want to be, but I really feel that I'm not the "Lone Ranger" with that. I do enjoy hearing from people and I'll talk just about anything. I do want folks to remember that I'm nowhere near the top and don't claim to be but if there is someone here that is let them step forward. I want to meet them.

Bye for now,Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya madster,

Took a break to heal up from the stings I'm getting from your slingshot.
    Dang those things hurt

As for as being moved around theres no problem from me. Put me whereever you want. I'm just happy to have a voice.

Anyway I'm in total agreement with at least some of your cc. Anatomy, yes, that really is a point where I need the most work. I am more that happy to share how I do things, why I do things and what I was feeling when I did them.

" Mr President your ties on crooked"

Sorry, I was shuffled off to another part of the country for a second.

Yep I want to get better.

I'll be deleting a couple of the top painting shortly in order to make room.
    Still working on some drawings I want to post later.Those unfinished painting will have to wait. Just don't have the time for then right now.

I think one of the things that may be happening and is a reason why I am getting the responces I am now is that, when I see a painting ( envision wise) its of an event. You know, something thats happening. Whether its a monster chasing a girl or a barbarian with his sword in a demons heart, I see the whole pic. You said CA is all about basics first. I understand, so I will get to work on these. Lets see what comes up.

see ya,Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bruce, my slingshot only uses words, not sticks nor stones, so I am most appreciative that they only smart a little bit...lol!
    I am GLAD you agree and disagree with what I write, with what ANY of us write. That is as it should be. We only offer viewpoints and suggestions, never commands or demands...

I agree with your feelings regarding the definition of "Concept Art." New, original, or just a different twist is fine, but that only covers the "Concept" part. The "Art" part is the technical skill to bring the "Concept" to life as a visual work. You need to also keep in mind the ".Org" attached to the word for these forums.

Yes, it would be exceedingly dull if everyone were a Frazetta, Rockwell, or the like, but a good perusal through our Finally Finished section will show you many talented artists of a "higher calibre" who are neither Frazetta, Rockwell, nor dull...ConceptArt.Org is where the talented have a bit better opportunity of being spotted in a very large sea of artists on the planet. It is also where those aspiring to such heights can find the paths to help them get there. Yes, there are a great many levels of development, and a great many levels of desire. We are trying to do our best to help those with the true desire, learn more, and those with the true skills, to sharpen them. And in between, all the members can hopefully come away with something good...be it discussion, observation, curiousity, or satisfaction.

Thanks again for understanding, and PLEASE don't stop enjoying your creations as a part of you backs up and starts working on bettering your grasp of some of "the Basics." Enjoyment is the one Principle that no one hardly mentions, but should always be present in your works...

Regards,
    ~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AVP again

New pencil from yesterday. I told a friend I would add a second version to the AvP picture post. This time the alien wins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The subject matter and quality of execution would make me define these, particularly the anatomically questionable Tarzan ones as Bad Art. But then I love trashy stuff like that..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "One mans trash is another mans treasure"

Not to sure about your post there blexarady, but check back in the coming weeks. I've got plenty of "TRASHY" art ideas dying to get out.

Being raised in a mobile home (manufactured home these days), riding to school on a bicycle 3 miles (on one wheel) and having to watch tv while one family member holds the antenna strait. I grew up with comicbooks... thats all I have to say.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The expression on Predator's face is Master-Card priceless!

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya madster, thanks

there are so many of you guys here that are really inspiring artists. CA.org is really a great art community. I learn something every time I'm here.

see ya, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bruce
    Don't mind people like blexarady...
    Work hard and enjoy your progression
    btw have you seen Frazetta's "Painting with Fire"dvd?I think it will give you a lot of inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I wasnt dissin yo, I'm just saying the pulp novel subject matter and slightly odd proportions make the work look kitsch. True dat.

By the way pluto, have a look at pictures of the aliens maw; it has a fantastically hostile expression built around an essentially a human dental structure. This distroted familiarity; chin, drawn back lips, terrible fangs, makes the design all the more alarming and effective. I'm not a big fan of Giger at all, but theres no denying his work on the alien was seminal and completely terrifying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Hey Polonoid, thanks for your post.

I saw Frazettas "Painting with Fire" on the Independant Film Channel a few months ago. My wife watched it with me and she was very surprised at how laid back he is and how down to earth the whole Frazetta family are. Just regular people. It was very inspiring and I'm planning to get the dvd so I can see all the bonus material

I must admit that for many years Frazetta was the only artist I followed. I can remember going to the bookstores and scanning the shelves for his latest painted bookcover. A lot of people here were and still are inspired by Frazetta and thats OK. I can see that many have moved on and are doing their own thing. Thats what I need to do. There is so much great art here. It's a lot of fun.

blexarady, from your post I got the feeling that you liked some of the art posted but that it has quite a few flaws. Well I agree with you. I don't think that I'll ever see any of my work hanging on the walls of the Hilton in Paris. But maybe leaning agaist a wall in Paris Hiltons basement Thats just a joke.

The Alien artwork of Giger is very terrifying. I'm not a big fan of his art either but it does work very well for the Alien movies. But thats just my opinion I'm sure there are plenty of folks that love his work.

My favorite of those movies was Alien 2. Bill Paxton stole the show IMO.
    " That's just great! We're in some pretty sh_t now man!"

see ya, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bruce,
    You got some nice pencils going on here... I just got back from the Frazetta museum that you told me about. It was really cool. My wife and I were talking to his wife for a while. She is a very intimidating woman. I bought a print of one of his headless horsemen paintings that he did in 1995. When you see his stuff back to back, you can really see the progression in his work. The stuff from the 60s looks very "comic booky" where as his later stuff seems alot more matured. Some of the "sci-fi" type stuff had alot of that funky 70's look to it. All in all, it was a cool experience. It was small though and I was through the whole place in 45 minutes. That's for the info though!!!

As a note, the location is weird. There is no sign, so if you don't know what or where it is, you would never find it...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.