Art and Soul, collection of scalps (digital work update ) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Art and Soul, collection of scalps (digital work update )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA wip thread….

I was going through my files and came across this painted work that was done before last summer. I don’t know that I’ve ever posted it so I thought I’d put it up before it got deleted to make space for something else.

I call it “Elephant Girl” and it’s a depiction of a female warrior with bow riding her trusted beast through the marsh of some fantasy time unknown and long since gone.

My spouse told me that the elephant creature looks somewhat evil….I won’t disagree with that. Also sorry for the wash-out effect on the right side. That happens a lot.

Bruce

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New post for an art project I’m beginning. This is the 1st sketch for a vehicle I’m calling a bullet shuttle and it will be included in a painting that I hope will come out well because I will be attempting new ground here. Actually it will be 3 paintings with 2 smaller ones that will be companions to the first & larger one. The 2 smaller works will show close up detail of what the larger one will hint at and would be something you could see if you could zoom in.

Since this concept work involves a little more study then I usually do I may include some detailed plans of what I think would be the engineered diagram of what a “bullet shuttle” would have blueprints for. The barrel thrusters shown in the sketch were borrowed from the vehicle of a space western that was shown for a short time on tv. Since this type of project is new to me it may take a little longer to finish. I do have other art ideas that I want to get out so those may show up first before this one has been completed. I hope not to post it until I am totally happy with the work but sometime my eagerness to post gets the better of me.

Anyway here’s the sketch…..

Did a little update edit to show some scale-Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; September 7th, 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA Critiques and WIP forum. Just putting up an update of a WIP that I’m working on. Here’s a portion of a painting that I began not to long ago. Progress is slow because I’m only able to work on it a little at a time and I have another painting that I’m working on at the same time.

Anyhow, it will be completed at some point and I thought I’d add this part since the sketch work was posted above.

I call this a Bullet Shuttle and it is a vehicle used by a division of the C.O.P.S. agency (Coalition Of Planet States). The idea is that in humankinds not to distant future we have become advanced enough to leave our small world and venture out to the nearby planets and moons. This has not only been accomplished by governments but also by the private sector. The problem is that corporations have been staking claim to vast amounts of “off Earth” property. Claims have already been filed on several of the moons off of Jupiter even before it is known if their solar mass contains anything of value. Laws have been passed and the COPS bureau was born. Their job…… to govern and control what happens to new worlds that humankind has landed on. No single moon or planet can be owned by one company. Each moon has to be divided up into at least three sectors, with the GGB ( Global Governing Body) having rights to at least one section.

I know this is more definition than is usually posted with and art creation but I just wanted to add the frame of mind that I am approaching this work from.

Hope that you like the idea, Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; October 3rd, 2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just an update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zombie Prison:

It wasn’t always this way. Gaylord Prison used to a nice peaceful institution. The guards at one time were able to abuse and misuse inmates at will…… then he came and now things have changed.

Farley was a cop, or used to be. He was sent here to the pen for abuses proven he’d committed in the “Red Light” district.

Unknown to the system Farley had a secret. He’d been bitten by one of the small town girls that had walked the streets for a living. This was no ordinary girl. She was of the living dead . Now Charlie Farley is diseased and in the population. The prison population. Charlie’s curse spread like a virus. The inmates were lucky, so to say….they were only bitten. The guards were devoured. And Warden Tom? He won’t be seen anymore. Someone made a coffee table out of his bones in woodshop.

Now Charlie’s getting out. Why is there no one to greet him? That’s Ok….he knows where you live and he’s ready for supper.

Bruce

I know this is a little morbid……but hey Halloween is this month!!

Painting that I’m working on for Halloween. It’s partly painted, partly computer generated so it qualifies as a wip. Sometimes it’s what you don’t see that is the most frightening of all.

Started before ZombieLand, which I’ve seen.

“ We have the stay at the best house in LA. &%$#@ house.”

“ Is &%$#@ a zombie?”

“ I don’t know.”

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy CA wip thread!

Geezz, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything here. I’m finally getting serious about a project again and I hope to be able to complete it soon. Haven’t really thought of a name yet, but suffice to say that it’s was inspired by the last Terminator movie.

Maybe not the best of the group but it certainly had it’s share of awesome FX. I was struck by the Terminator that was chasing Kyle Reese and the others in downtown LA. How would you like to wake up one night and find that thing looking down at cha?

Anyway, here’s part of a wip I’m working on for a painting. Like always I hope to get it done quickly but I never know if that will happen. Take a look and I’m open to suggestions. Also, this will be somewhat of a dark painting. I’m mapping out the darks and lights strictly on the computer, something I haven’t done before. Crits are welcome, hope you like……

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So CA WIP thread. I've been gone a while... but I'm still here....here's a painting in progress....been working on it a while. Hope to get more new stuff up soon.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Companion art to the WIP painting posted earlier.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy CA wip thread. Pasting up a new image that I’m working on. Pardon the quality…..the pencil work was to big for my scanner so I had to use the digital camera and capture the image outside. Measures about 12x18 inches and has a lot more detail than the image shown. Anyway, just an idea that I thought I’d toy with….hope folk enjoy the concept….BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA wips and critiques thread.

Placing up a new pencil work before the year runs out. Trying to knock a little of the rust off my drawing hand before continuing on to next year. Hope everyone has a happy holiday season and stays safe. Ok, on to a little work idea that came to me a few days ago. A little humorous pencil I hope will put a smile on the face of anyone who views it. Lets hope that 2011 is a great year, see ya, BP……

************************************************** ******Stunt Witch - With the economy the way it was, hard times were being felt by everyone. Even the “Spell Casters” were having a ruff time making ends meet. Wilda the witch was no exception. She applied for a job on the new Joss Whedon television series “ Fluffy the Witch Slayer” and got it. Things are looking better, and that new toad cook pot she’s been wanting is now within financial reach…..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA wips….

New pic posted up… Face-Off-- Territorial Dispute---- Original pencil measures 22x13 in.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sort of a mini dump. A few pencils I’ve been playing with over the past couple weeks. Trying to keep the old brain cells from freezing. First up “Trails End”…..the next two…just a couple of pencil works for a bigger image I’m thinking of doing.

Thanks for looking, BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello…..CA wips forum…..

Started a new wips project so I’m postin up what’s been done so far. Space dude, not really a subject I haven’t experimented with already. Anyway, below is a pencil/computer wip that I may attempt to work into a painting later on. Got a couple other ideas as well. Just depends on what happens…..hope that you like the idea. Post any comments favorable or not….see ya!

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New pencil-with some computer help…. Dragon Scales….

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double post whammy.....

BP

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; January 26th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your lighting is rather random in most of your pieces, I think you really need to look up some references for that and perhaps do a few real life/still life studies. Your work has some kind of charm to it otherwise though, it's good, but it could be quite a bit better still. Keep working and studying!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy Lhune!

Thanks for coming in & posting up! I will say that I have had comments about anatomy issues come my way ( all noted and I do agree with) but this is the first time I’ve had a post about lighting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’ll go back and take a look and see if I can figure out what I’m doing wrong.

If I can say one thing that may have caused me to neglect either LIGHTING or ANATOMY, and that is, when I sit down to do a work piece I automatically begin thinking of the emotion and drama. I try to get it as interesting as I can, so you are right….I do need to keep working, practicing and studying.

One thing I do not have an abundance of is TIME. I try to squeeze in a few pencils or CG in when I can. This year I hope to not be as lazy as I have been in the past and get my butt in gear so that I can achieve those improvements.

Thanks again for your post. I will certainly concentrate on trying to get better way of checking my light sources.

Bruce P.

Btw: you’re got some really good-looking work here on CA. Some really good images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the universes you paint, they're really cool. I have quite a few old novel covers in a similar style and I love 50's SF. It's a wonder you get so few comments. Sometimes the anatomy's a little off but you'll get there. Also I gotta to say that's it's quite nice that you seem to care for the story behind the painting, this is too often overlooked. Great work man keep it up

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ink-Orporate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy Ink-Oporate!

Thanks for your very uplifting post. I really appreciate your comments. It’s always good to see somebody that enjoys the older Si/Fi & horror ( books, magazines & film) works of the masters of the past. To me those folk really expressed a love for what they were doing. At the same time there are sooooo…..many very good artists here too.

I always enjoy walking into comic book or used book stores. There’s actually a certain smell to a place like that……..smells like adventure! Reading a great book or magazine can take you someplace ( or seeing a good movie) . The artwork can help with the adventure. Maybe I’m just expressing my age……ha…ha…..but that’s how I see it.

Anyway, I’m glad that you like the little stories that I add along with the pics I post up. I believe everyone who creates has a story to tell, and it is my belief that the artwork should explain a little about what the creator was intending when they made it. Kinda like when you flip over an old paperback book and read the back cover.

Folks that create art can always take something old, add something fresh, and make a new idea out of it. Just an opinion of mine. The creative venture (from start to finish) is always fun for me. Especially if it turns out the way I envisioned. Which happens less than I’d like it to.

Anyway, thanks again for the nice post. I’m always ready to talk shop!

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCSE- Corporal Callahan: Space Explorer

New digital color addition to the previously posted sketch work above. Working on the full digital painting now. Hope to have it up soon. CC and opinions are welcomed….

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCSE- Corporal Callahan: Space Explorer

Corporal Callahan was a restless soul. On his days off he preferred doing a little hunting instead of playing cards or drinking down at the local watering hole the “Purple Grotto“. What kind of hunting did Corporal Callahan enjoy doing? Well, planet hunting as to say. Today he was going to Gleise 581-G, a little out-of -the -way world which had been explored very little. He took his trusty “Hornet 13” and landed somewhere in the planet’s swampy southern hemisphere. What will he fine? Who knows, but he’s there and looking for adventure……I’m sure he’ll find some.

This is an idea which I have posted the first digital pic to up above. It has plenty of issues that I’m sure everyone can see. I’ve been working a lot lately. More than I thought I’d have to before starting this CCSE project. That looks as if it is going to continue for a while. After a couple of days off I will be working for the next 21 days straight so that will leave me little time to update this digital work for a while.

Anyway CC, opinions & any advise anyone would like to offer, as always is welcomed.

Bruce Pluto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello WIPs thread …..

Just playing around a bit with this art idea. I’m considering actually making an acrylic painting outta this guy. Then maybe that won’t happen either, I will just have to see if time allows.

Anyway, threw a bunch of new crap in there, but the digital work leaves a lot to be desired. My computer is old, about as old as I am…..well maybe not that old!

So, Ok! Here’s what I’ve got so far……I feel the composition is good, as for the lighting and color…..those I have to work on. If you’ve got any suggestions shoot them my way, I’d enjoy hearing any ideas. That’s about it for now.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think perhaps the shading on the alien(?) could use a little work, the really intense shadows on it don't seem to be really reflected in the rest of the work. Also, perhaps adding a little more of the yellow-green you have in the environment to the main figures may make the work seem a little more 'together' because they look a bit disjointed. I'd really love to see you take on some more compositionally challenging pieces too - in most of your work the figures are in the centre of the canvas, maybe try leading the eye around a little more =)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Miki Tikus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Miki

Thanks for coming by and posting up. Actually you are very correct. This digital work was put together kinda piecemeal ( I would work on one thing then add it into the main picture) guess that’s why it looks so disjointed. Since each subject was worked on separately , on a white background, it kinda took on it’s own color & values. When I added them together instead of complementing each other and blending in as one solid arraignment they more or less took on an individual existence.

Corporal Callahan’s flight suit is really a lot less greenish looking in the original detailed work ( posted above) and the Mother Alien was just an afterthought I stuck in just for the fun of it. It wasn’t in my original idea.

Anyway, since this is a digital work ( I am experimenting more with computerized art creations now) I felt I could easily remove anything later that I didn’t like.

Also the art program that I’m using is quite the dinosaur. After a few saves I start getting this “Striping” effect which I absolutely loath but can do noting about. Guess I need to defrag my computer.

Thanks very much for your input. It is noted and appreciated.

Bruce

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.