Art and Soul, collection of scalps (digital work update ) - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Art and Soul, collection of scalps (digital work update )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You sir, are probably best asking a moderator to move this to the sketchbook section, or just repost in a sketchbook. Your dedication to what you're doing is really commendable, and the Frazetta stuff doesn't hit too far from home.

I read your whole first page and then quickly breezed through the others and when you mentioned you need work on anatomy I have to agree. The thing about it is it's all there and your connections are decent in your highly muscled figures, but it just WON'T fit over a skeleton. If you would feel so inclined to draw the figure from the skeleton up and really take a lot of time to note the connections of the important muscle groups I think it would help you a great deal in correction some of the things that appear odd in the anatomy. REALLy spend the time, I say.

Keep posting more. I generally don't look at threads with this many hits because I figure you're getting help already, but I'll make it a point to stop by here now that I know what it's about.

Keep us posted.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Eric thanks for coming by and posting comments. I agree that the figure drawings and paintings Iíve been posting need some work(hence why theyíre in the wip section). Iím hoping to get better as I go along. One of the things I feel is limiting me is TIME. To get where I want to be will take time and practice which I donít have a lot of. Family and work keep me pretty busy. When I do get a chance to sit and draw or try to do a painting I already have the finished image in my head so I donít spend a lot of time sketching or making some things that donít look right, look right. I try to cram as much work into the piece as the time I have will allow. Iím hoping to be able to do more drawing and painting this summer because itís a hobby that I really enjoy.

I donít really feel that any of the work thatís posted should go to a sketchbook though. It may be unfinished or need some tinkering to change a thing or two but they arenít really sketches. Besides asking one of the moderators to move me to a sketchbook doesnít seem to be where the art falls since one of them moved my thread here to begin with. If I recall I first started with a couple of paintings in the finished forum then was moved to the sketchbook forum. When CA revamped some time back my thread was moved to the newly created WIPS section. Iím just glad to have a place to post something if I feel a little creative.

I do agree that starting with the skeleton is where I should begin and I appreciate your post. Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA group. Hereís a new painting started last weekend. Itís called ďOther WorldsĒ and itís the first of 3 paintings I have in mind to do with a space theme. It stands about 32x20, something like that and this one is about 98% finished. I still want to add a couple of things to it, one being a landed space craft in the distance on the far right. The idea is that two space travelers have landed to survey this world thinking thereíd be no life. WRONG! Out pops a creature that can breath the toxic gases of this world.

I will add along with this a picture of a side view and one of me standing by it. When complete it will be varnished and I hope to get a frame built too. Iím also thinking of adding some space equipment near the guys feet. Something with knobs and buttons. If youíd like to see this just let me know. Anyway comments and crits are welcome.

See ya, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yee-ha!

For starters with the anatomy- the guy's legs seem to be two different thicknesses and two different lengths- his foreshortened hand feels wrong. The only thing I have a problem with the chick is her trigger hand- looks a little funny, but it's really little... and "little" funny... so little being the operative word here .

I think you're going to need some higher values that don't reach the "highlight" mark on your creature. He seems well set up for a further stage of rendering and I think if you pulled out some more forms before you hit the highlight value that you'd be able to define him better. Mostly around his arms and wrinkles of his body. Also check his showing back foot- just saying check it .

This is a great improvement, by the way. Really good looking!

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Eric! Thanks for coming by and posting up. You are strait on with your comments. I took less time with the space dude in the pencil stage ( I started to get impatient and rushed) so there is still many things that need to be done for a better look. Thereís a toe on the lizard creature that doesnít match to well with the drawing either, Iíll have to fix that. The back foot was added in this morning. It isnít in the original drawing but I felt that all that dark, empty space needed something so I added it ( I checked it and itĎs been reworked). The creature does need to be detailed more. Youíre right. Iíve been on vacation the past week so between doing house projects, I worked the painting in. Itís back to the factory tomorrow so I thought Iíd put up what was done so far. Working in acrylics the dry colors donít look the same as they do when they are wet. I am used to this though and they will all come back when the pic gets a coat of varnish.

Iíll nip and tuck it more in the next week as time allows and try to fix the spacemanís legs too. So for Iím pretty happy with it and during the next week Iíll post up some of the steps to show where I startedÖ. to were the painting is now.

Thanks again for your comments. They are well noted.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much done with this one

see ya, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA wip threaders

For anyone that’s read through the pages on the thread here they know that I’m a pretty big Firefly fan and Joss Whedon fan. For those that aren’t that’s ok but for anyone looking to catch a good Si/Fi western then give Firefly a shot.

Anyway Mr. Whedon and some friends got together recently to put together a silly little sing-a-long blog video called Dr. Horrible. It stars Neil Patrick Harris, Nathon Fillion and Felicia Day. It’s a cute little 3 part movie with the first playing at Dr.Horrible.com. Check it out if you’d like.

Take it with a grain of salt. Like I said I like Mr. Whedon’s projects and I’m a fan. Being a fan I cooked up a little unofficial fan T-shirt and I’m posting it up on the thread here. I may add a detailed shot a little later but for now this is what I have going.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tropical Thunder: Band of Thunder

ď Iím a dude playin a dude disguised as another dude!!ď

Howdy CA wip gang
    Just caught the movie ďTropical ThunderĒ this past weekend and it had me laughing my ass off. Decided to make a personal T-shirt. Hereís the beginning stage and itís not exactly like the emblem shown with the movie or the trailer, but then I didnít want it to be. It is close though.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New sketch/ painting idea

Bruce P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy everyone!

Thought that Iíd try to get one more pencil in before the end of the year. I may try and do more with this pencil drawing in the new year. Donít know yet. Anyway I call this one ď Exploring the Marshes of Zargon12Ē. No particular reason for naming it that, just did. There are some adjustments I need to do to the drawing before I maybe attempt a painting. Just have to see how the year goes.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another pencil. Companion art to ďExploring the Marshes of Zargon12Ē

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New pencil "1944, on the Russian Steps". It's a little blurry.Had to use the digital camera.The drawing was to big for the scanner.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Werewolves

New pencil WIP I'm working on. Don't know how long it will take to finish. CC & comments are always welcome.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA

I know it’s been a while since I’ve put up any art projects that I am currently working on. It’s going to be a little longer. I am at this time putting up some of the wip work done for the “Other Worlds” painting I did last summer. Think I’ll be showing 4 or 5 steps here.

Step1, the board has been prepped & the pencil transfers are arranged on the surface and moved around until I get them where I want them.

Step2, I block in the lizard figure with black, placing the figure in the gassy fog. At this time I also block in the lizard in a dark shade of green, then slowly define and build the highlights.

Step3, After a day or two of painting the lizard I realign the two space figures so that I can start working on the planet rock surface they will be standing and kneeling on. At this point also I’m not sure if I like the male figures right arm. He is the one in most jeopardy and I wanted the feeling that he was the most surprised and venerable.

Step4, The lizard is near complete and the space woman is blocked in with red and somewhat highlighted. At this point the rocks need more definition and I am making decisions about the spaceman’s arm. Also I am considering other element that may go into the painting.

Step5, is the finished work and it can be seen in previous posts.

Thanks for taking the time to view this wip procedure. Any questions or comments I am more than happy to answer or address.

At this time I am considering a TERMINATOR painting after being inspired by the “TERMINATOR SALVATION” movie. If time allows I will try to complete it and post it up soon as I can.

Thanks, Bruce

Step1

Step2

Step3

Step4

Decided to come back and post Step5 the finished work. Also I will say that this is still a wip. I usually don’t consider artwork that I’ve done finished until I varnish and make a frame for it. At that point it’s a done deal- Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; May 28th, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA wip thread. Putting up a new sketch of a future project I hope to complete real soon. Like a lot of you for a long time I have had this uncontrollable desire to communicate with people, people that have the same interest in creating the visual as I do. I have worked on putting down the images that I see in my imagination on paper and board for some time now and I get a feeling of some reward in having folks see those images and think that they are Ok.

Anyway, I’m starting a new art project for this week, I have the time ( although I could be doing things around the house) so I thought I’d try to work some creative artwork in.

This is the first sketch of a painting I will be trying to finish as quickly as I can without sacrificing too much quality if I can help it. I’ve decided to call it “Stranded on Planet P”, and the whole notion of the painting is to express the thought that two space explorers have ended up stranded on this world. The emotions I want to convey are those of being put in a situation that is much bigger than ourselves. I want the painting to express loneliness and concern about what may lay ahead.

The image came to me in the middle of the night about two weeks ago and I was thinking with it’s simplicity and colors I could maybe create a powerful piece of work with a small amount of effort. I hope it turns out that way.

Anyhow, here’s the first sketch. One astronaut helping another struggle up the sand dunes of a place they are about to spend a good amount of their lives on. They will have to depend on one another to survive and maybe one day rescue will come.

Also, I am thinking of posting the progression of the painting in another thread on another part of the CA forum, I’ll just see what happens.

Again, like I’ve said before I hope to get it done within the week but as always it may take longer.

Later, Bruce P

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; June 16th, 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second drawing for "Stranded on Planet P" work project.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA wip thread. Iím introducing now the 3rd sample exercise of the ďStrandedĒ painting. This is the combined piece and is about one third the center of the picture. There will be other elements both above and below when the painting is finished. Also the image I am wanting to produce will have light sources from two opposite directions. Iíll talk about this more later. For now this is whatís been done and itís nearly ready to transfer to the board to begin painting. I didnít work on the project as much as I wanted yesterday, other things came up or maybe it was just my plain lazy ass. Anyway Iím posting it up in another part of the forum too.

See ya, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA wip thread. I'm posting up what I've gotten done so far on the "Stranded on Planet P" paint project. I'll try to finish when I can and post again.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; June 19th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA wipsters. Looks like Iíll be working for the next 6 days( 12 hour rotating shift) so I will not get a chance to work on the stranded painting until next week. I did want to show a couple of the prep steps thoughÖ..to show how the painting will go from point A to point B and so on. Here are the first few progression steps.

Step1

Starting the process: The board is prepped and a loose and quick basecoat is applied defining the main subjects and their placement. This kind of painting concerns layering. The basic colors are applied but they do not necessarily have to be dead-on. Further applications of paint will help reach the desired goal and sometimes a little odd color bleed-through will help to add interest. Be bold and experiment. You can always change something you donít like.

Step 2

Adding light. Iíve defined the hills and mountains more showing that the light is coming from two separate directions. This being said two lights sources can be from a number of things, especially in si/fi material. The second light source could be from a moon, or maybe an erupting volcano in the distance. When itís your painting and your idea, do what you want.

Anyway, Iím at a stopping point for now. Hope to update next week.

Thanks, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning CA wip crew

Got a chance to work on the “Stranded painting a couple of hours yesterday. Not much progress but I did manage to sneak in a little detailed work on the second “Main” figure. I’m posting a detailed shot of pic also, just below. I’m already itching to begin a new painting. I have a couple more ideas in mind. I’ll just have to see how the summer goes.

Anyway, here’s the work.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA wip

Just adding an update of the "Stranded" painting. Still have plenty to do and some corrections also......

Bruce

Detail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok my fellow WIP creators, hereís what Iíve pretty much ended up with during the final days working on the ďStrandedĒ painting. Of course I turned it into a book. I may addÖ..in the next few days the last steps that got me to this point , and the painting is still not totally finished. Got some nip/tucking to do but Iím near ready to start something else.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello folks,

Decided to throw in a detailed shot without any kind of wording. Also when I get to this stage of a painting and have transferred some of the picture images to the computer I still have in mind things or details that I would like to add. Sometime they are good ideas, sometime not. The computer gives me a chance to add in small details without taking the risk of actually applying them to the painting. If they look like what I want in the computer enhancement then Iíll likely go back and add them into the painting, if they donít work out then I havenít lost any time or effort.

Also I have taken to posting pics of my paintings taken from a slight angle. For some reason this avoids any glare that has shown up in the previous posted work. So if the later posted pics seem a little off center itís because they are.

There are three projects that I am debating to do right now. One is just finishing another space pic that I started last year ( I may post what I have so far a little later) another is a skeleton pirate, and the third is a deep sea battle between two creatures from the ocean depths. Not sure which one will win out but I hope to get started in a day or two.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks bruce for the comment in my sb. really means a lot. this last space piece you just finished looks great man. i love all the process shots. reminds me why i havn't made an oil painting in a long time. haha. so much work. but i just got a commission for one so ill be starting soon. thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy CA WIP threaders, Dekal-thanks for coming by and posting up!!

A while back I began debating what my next project would be. One was to be an above water scene, the other an underwater scene. The underwater won out. Below is a wip Iím on right now. I call it ďDeep Sea AttackĒ and it involves an giant octopus taking a bite out a very big adversary. Got a few elements left to put in then Iíll post the final along with the thumbnail sketch. I will say that a human will be placed in there somewhere and also some more fishies.

Thanks for looking, Bruce P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is amazing, seriously it's so awesome to see more traditional artists out there like yourself. The last two pieces are my faves...

I hope to learn a thing or two from you.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to arsanik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is amazing, seriously it's so awesome to see more traditional artists out there like yourself. The last two pieces are my faves...

I hope to learn a thing or two from you.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to arsanik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arsanik

Thanks for coming by and posting up. I really appreciate your comments they really made my day. Yes I do enjoy creating paintings and drawings the traditional way. It an activity that relaxes me. I know that sounds funny since it takes me several days to finish one (paintings) and it’s a lot of work but it is the truth and one of the reasons that I continue to work in the traditional fashion is because that’s how I started out.

A few years ago I bought some cheap acrylic paints and wanted to try my hand at painting. Now after lots of trial and error and a bunch of frustration I’m getting a little better handle on it. It is a lot of fun.

I’m glad that you have liked the art I’ve put up so far. Any art issues you want to discuss, I’m here and ready to listen and talk on the subject. Also the “Art Discussion” part of the CA forum is a great place to go for questions and answers. I go there a lot.

I’m down to working about 2 hours a day on the “ Deep Sea Attack” painting. It’s about as long as I can be out in my shop before it gets too hot. Should be finished with the pic in no more than a day or two though.

Again thanks for taking a look and dropping me a line. It really means a lot.

Bwt, went to you CA thread…..you’ve got a lot of talent and skill. Lots of fabulous work. Keep it up!

See ya, Bruce

adding the thumbnail sketch to the post here; BP

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; August 12th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy CA wip thread. Here’s what I’ve pretty much ended up with for the “Deep Sea Attack” painting. My wife pointed out to me the other day that the shark looked different in the thumbnail sketch then it did in the earlier wip painting. I had changed it’s nose into a more blunt shape. No real reason for having done it that way. She also pointed out that she thought that the shark looked as if it were smiling. For sure I didn’t want that so I changed it up a bit before posting the first wip. I wasn’t happy with the result so decided to spend some time returning it to look like the original sketch. Still have some this & thats to include or change before it’s totally completed.

I thought about calling the painting “ That Lucky Bastard” . The whole idea is that this deep sea diver has done down below to scout out for sunken treasure. Unknown to him he was lining up to become fish food. The octopus was just about to pounce whenever something more familiar swam into it’s line of vision. Instead of the diver becoming a meal himself he has become only a witness to one.

Well thanks for taking a look.

See ya, Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Pluto; August 14th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.