Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Shadow of the Colossus: Official Thread!

Shadow of the Colossus: Official Thread!

We're a little less than 2 months away (EDIT: October 18th --- delayed to make the game more juicy!) - And soon, they'll be handing out demo CD's for those of us that pre-order.

They've done some polish since the E3 build, so check out this damn awesome preview: "damn awesome preview"
    Sony has got the game runnin' in 480progressive-scan, and also the option for full widescreen-tv support ...... So those of us with good TV's gotta start shopping for new pairs of pants soon

For those who haven't seen the game before, it's from the Sony-Development team behind ICO ---- Firm believers of the "less is more" approach to design (they actually call it "subtractive design") and it's a huge part of why many of us loved ICO so much.
    -ICO didn't throw loads and loads of McFarlaine action-figure type monsters at us.... Just a few ghostly-apparitions that don't dilute universe.
    -Didn't have some 2-page inventory of melee and long-range weapons.... Just a stick.
    -Didn't embarrass itself with terrible game-dialogue.... The characters were rooted in each of their native languges.
    -Didn't throw as many outlandish environments out as it could.... The castle was more of a character than most average games' "heroes"
    -Didn't !RAWK! some techno-dribble music in your ear at each encounter.... Just the simple ambience of the surrounding nature.
    ..... I could go on and on, but basically ICO took itself seriously and respected gamers' intelligence. There's a lot to learn from their "subtractve-design"

In Shadow of the Colossus they're throwing an open landscape at the player and asking them to hunt down the 15-18 ancient Colossus' that dwell in the universe ....... note: you won't be smacking-down hundreds and hundreds of tiny filler-creatures.
    You travel on the back of your horse, and this will have a huge part of how you take-on different Colossus creatures.
    Your sword is also used to reflect the sun, a beamn of light guides you on the landscape and helps to point out puzzle-solutions.
    Each Colossus is its own puzzle, and scalling it (is very much like a playground) can be approached from many many different points.

---- The developers are working really hard at hitting our heart-strings to. They want us to feel terrible for taking down the ancient ancient creatures, and question if taking all of their 'souls' is really worth bringing back one girl.
    Should be interesting how they do this, since they did such a good job of bringing Yorda and ICO to life (mostly with the hand-holding, since that had never been done close to that level)

Lookin' very forward to it and its art
    Shadow of the Colossus: Official Thread!
    Last edited by Sammy; October 21st, 2005 at 12:04 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow.....now I wish I had a PS2...THE ONE game that's a must have...edit: agreed with patzdon, it's so sweet! everything I've ever wanted in a game! The minimalism! i WILL play this game...
    Last edited by jetpack42; August 6th, 2005 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks
    That's amazing. I love the realistic approach to the gameplay cuz of all the "minimalistic" elements. The fact that you have to figure out ways of defeating each colossus makes you feel you're in the game. Armed with only a sword, bow and arrow, along with your horse makes it more exciting.

Thanks
    ICO was absolutely beautiful, i think SotC will actually bring me to tears.
    the graphics in that preview are still WIPs, but they're still stunning.
    feathering ftw!

Thanks
    Just a side note, the oringal name was "Wanda and the Colossus".

But they had to add the typical American flare "SHADOW!!"

AH... I'm still getting the game the day it comes out, it looks gorgous.

I just brought up this note though, because of the mistake they made with the American cover for Ico, which probably was why it didn't sell so well. I hope they don't make the same mistake, so the game can get the glory it's more then likely going to deserve.

Thanks
    I remember when I saw LOTR when Legolas jumped aboard the huge mumakil and slid down the spine and I thought, holy shit, I wish that was in a game. This game will hopefully fullfill that need xD

Yeah, the replay value seems kind of short. So you just go from place to place, searching for these beasts? Do you get to talk to people in order to figure out where to go? What are the environments like (I'd like to see some snowy areas...mmm...snow)? How does the whole horse-as-a-companion thing work?

Those are the questions on my mind...looks awesome, though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iconoclast
    I remember when I saw LOTR when Legolas jumped aboard the huge mumakil and slid down the spine and I thought, holy shit, I wish that was in a game. This game will hopefully fullfill that need xD

Yeah, the replay value seems kind of short. So you just go from place to place, searching for these beasts? Do you get to talk to people in order to figure out where to go? What are the environments like (I'd like to see some snowy areas...mmm...snow)? How does the whole horse-as-a-companion thing work?

Those are the questions on my mind...looks awesome, though.
    There's more than meets the eye. Like the variety of the Colossus's you'll see.

Thanks
    I can't wait for this game. ICO was amazing, and I'm sure this will follow in its footsteps. As for replay value? Well, I beat ICO in 3 days, but played through it 2 more times in a row just to experience its perfection again. Hmm...I think maybe I'll play it again.

Thanks
    Here are some VERY nice high res gameplay movies + the intro: http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3134836

fucking awesome

This game will make me cry.

Thanks
    Yep, this is pretty much #1 on my most wanted list.

It looks soooo good.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    There's more than meets the eye. Like the variety of the Colossus's you'll see.
    Yeah, in the Game Informer reveiw of it, there were quite a bit of different collosuses....collossi? collossen?

heres an SS of some sort of dragon-like flying collosus. Getting on that one is going to be a b-i-itch.

smaller collossus the second smallest, from what ive seen

apparently, this is one of the smaller ones

im gonna scan in the article later, its got tons more pictures and goodies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeHarHar
    Just a side note, the oringal name was "Wanda and the Colossus".

But they had to add the typical American flare "SHADOW!!"

AH... I'm still getting the game the day it comes out, it looks gorgous.

I just brought up this note though, because of the mistake they made with the American cover for Ico, which probably was why it didn't sell so well. I hope they don't make the same mistake, so the game can get the glory it's more then likely going to deserve.
    nah, the original name was Wanda and the Giant. I believe Shadow of colossus is a better name overall. The cover probably didn't help ICO but I doubt a great cover would have helped it sell a whole lot better. No one knew about ICO when it came out, no one cared. If the horn boy was running from explosions with a glock carrying the princess in a bikini on the cover it wouldn't have sold more...it just slipped in under the radar. Colossus should do better, mainly because it's getting more exposure, and the idea is more original than ICO's "save the princess get out of the castle" philosophy...although I will wave the ICO flag all day and still hail it as one of the best games you can play on PS2.
    N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Don't worry Corro, those guys will work out any problems like that Im sure. This is honestly the only PS2 game I'm really looking forward too. Thats kinda sad considering the PS3 wont be coming out for at least another year. I can't wait for this one though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    This is honestly the only PS2 game I'm really looking forward too. Thats kinda sad considering the PS3 wont be coming out for at least another year. I can't wait for this one though.
    Oh man, if you like online play or 3rd person shooters, get SOCOM 3 for the PS2. That and the new Zelda are the only games I plan on definitely buying this year. This game looks good, but it's probably a renter (if only 15 enemies), but I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hayeske
    Oh man, if you like online play or 3rd person shooters, get SOCOM 3 for the PS2. That and the new Zelda are the only games I plan on definitely buying this year. This game looks good, but it's probably a renter (if only 15 enemies), but I could be wrong.

dont think of it as 15 enemies. these arent going to be as easy as anything you've been used to. No quick easy combo repeating or something. We're talking 2, 3, even 5 hour long epic battles. And you can be sure you'll be sweating bullets the entire time, as well as crying when the things finally murt. Judging how they did with ICO, there's going to be the super-emotional story to go with it. trust me dude, this is something you're going to want to get. Its games like these that we can pass on to our children, and them to their children, so that the meaning of true games can be remembered forever...

/sniff sniff

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate of Fate
    dont think of it as 15 enemies. these arent going to be as easy as anything you've been used to. No quick easy combo repeating or something. We're talking 2, 3, even 5 hour long epic battles. And you can be sure you'll be sweating bullets the entire time, as well as crying when the things finally murt. Judging how they did with ICO, there's going to be the super-emotional story to go with it. trust me dude, this is something you're going to want to get. Its games like these that we can pass on to our children, and them to their children, so that the meaning of true games can be remembered forever...
    I'm not saying that this isn't a buy-it game, I just don't know enough about it. My problem is that I buy games that I think are going to be great and beat in 1-3 days (Devil May Cry, God of War). I was recommending SOCOM as a game because of the replay value that's through the roof. I plan on atleast renting this game and then maybe buying it. It does look awesome and like I could get sucked in. I never played ICO. Is it an involved game as this one looks? I think the only game I've ever played and gotten emotionally involved, as lame as that sounds, was Final Fantasy X. It was my first experience in that series, and after 100+ hours, I was bummed when it was over.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate of Fate
    Yeah, in the Game Informer reveiw of it, there were quite a bit of different collosuses....collossi? collossen?

heres an SS of some sort of dragon-like flying collosus. Getting on that one is going to be a b-i-itch.

smaller collossus the second smallest, from what ive seen

apparently, this is one of the smaller ones

im gonna scan in the article later, its got tons more pictures and goodies.
    LOL you're right, it's collossi.

That dragon like collossus looks awesome!

Thanks
    I'm not saying that this isn't a buy-it game, I just don't know enough about it. My problem is that I buy games that I think are going to be great and beat in 1-3 days (Devil May Cry, God of War). I was recommending SOCOM as a game because of the replay value that's through the roof. I plan on atleast renting this game and then maybe buying it. It does look awesome and like I could get sucked in. I never played ICO. Is it an involved game as this one looks? I think the only game I've ever played and gotten emotionally involved, as lame as that sounds, was Final Fantasy X. It was my first experience in that series, and after 100+ hours, I was bummed when it was over.
    You can beat ICO in like 6 or 7 hours. But beating the game is'nt really the point of it IMO. I could just take an hour and do nothing but stare and relax in that game. It's all about atmosphere. And when you've beaten it, it stays inside your heart forever

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMoon
    You can beat ICO in like 6 or 7 hours. But beating the game is'nt really the point of it IMO. I could just take an hour and do nothing but stare and relax in that game. It's all about atmosphere. And when you've beaten it, it stays inside your heart forever
    I'll have to go check it out then. What system is it for?

Thanks
    I cant believe this is for consoles only (ps2 right).

it looks freakin awesome but i dont have anything but my trusty PC.

Looks like im missing out on alot.. the Zelda aswell

life sucks..... *hangs himself*
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    I think the only game I've ever played and gotten emotionally involved, as lame as that sounds, was Final Fantasy X. It was my first experience in that series, and after 100+ hours, I was bummed when it was over.
    We need to start an RPG support group, for people who feel like they've lost something inside when they beat a game. I've had my heart broken by pretty much all the Final Fantasys, the legend of Dragoon, all the Legend of Zeldas... well, pretty much every old school traditional RPG.

Now that i mentioned it, i think thats what makes select games so freaking amazing: the ability to tap into the players emotions and feelings. must remember for the future... must not let generic games overrun us...

[/rant]

Thanks
    Yo hayeske, I forgot about Socom3 actually. I'll be gettin it too. Comes out September I think. OK 2 games then! I assume you play Socom 2? Whats your gamertag. Im Sc00ba with 2 zeros, me and a few guys get on about twice a week. We also play Halo 2. Anyway, I understand your concerns about Wanda but after playing Ico, I know it will be great. Ico is the only linear game I still go back and play from time to time. I don't do the RPG thing anymore, but I still love Ico. Ico is more akin to a great work of art then a videogame. Its brillant, I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    Yo hayeske, I forgot about Socom3 actually. I'll be gettin it too. Comes out September I think. OK 2 games then! I assume you play Socom 2? Whats your gamertag. Im Sc00ba with 2 zeros, me and a few guys get on about twice a week. We also play Halo 2. Anyway, I understand your concerns about Wanda but after playing Ico, I know it will be great. Ico is the only linear game I still go back and play from time to time. I don't do the RPG thing anymore, but I still love Ico. Ico is more akin to a great work of art then a videogame. Its brillant, I would recommend it to anyone.
    My tag is Purple Hayes and will probably be the same for SOCOM 3. I'll try and add you to my friends list. I don't play Halo 2 online because I'm too cheap to pay. Besides, I hear it's got way more cheaters than SOCOM. What system in ICO for?

Thanks
    PS2 hayeske. You can probably find it on the bargain rack cheap. It may be slightly hard to find, but well worth it. Cool, I'll be looking for you on S2 bro. Yeah, Halo definatly has its pros and cons... The chat is handled way better and you never have to worry about getting on the same team as your friends. I don't see many cheaters, but lag and people leaving in the middle of games are definatly big problems...

Thanks
    I looked for you last night sc00ba, but you weren't on. The lag last night was pretty bad. I've been on a friggin' tear the last few days. I didn't play for about 8 months, but I started back a couple weeks ago. It was a slow start, but I've been playing the best I ever have lately. I'll be on tonight probably. I'll look you up again.

Thanks
    Lol, another game which makes me happy I don't own a PS2. After watching the first mintute or so of this game I thought it looked pretty sweet, then I realized that the entirety of this game is comprised of trying to figure out how to kill just those giant creatures.... Seems like an overblown puzzle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExilE
    Lol, another game which makes me happy I don't own a PS2. After watching the first mintute or so of this game I thought it looked pretty sweet, then I realized that the entirety of this game is comprised of trying to figure out how to kill just those giant creatures.... Seems like an overblown puzzle.
    Well, that's why they have hack 'n slash, RPG, shooter, and many other genres of games. Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Thanks
    The first one did have an understated sort of quality to it. They took a very simple game idea and polished it off until it gleamed. Well, the castle wasn't very simple.

I loved when you got to a ledge, looked down and saw a place that you went through an hour ago. I wonder if they'll have similar situations in the second where you're fighting a colussus in the shadow of one of the dead ones you've already killed.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Wow it looks like they took the worst part of every zelda game since Ocarina and turned it into an entire game!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualSideFX
    Wow it looks like they took the worst part of every zelda game since Ocarina and turned it into an entire game!
    Did you not like Ocarina of Time? That was an awesome game. Majora's Mask wasn't that great. The Wind Waker was great, too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast