Thanks

A Dreamweaver question

I was wondering how you fix this problem.

In Dreamweaver, sometimes the program won't let me "Put" files onto my website and instead, it just sits there and hangs up. Once in a great while it will actually "put" a file I select onto my website like it's suppose to do. But what can I do when it doesn't? What is it that causes Dreamweaver not to "put" selected files on my site every now and then? Is there any control I can have over this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-C

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Chris,

I found a similar problem when I was designing my own website. I found that when I 'put' files on to the remote server it would sometimes disconnnect the 'connect to remote host' and would stop putting files on after a 'time out' if I had the connection on for a while. It will also do this if your web host's servers go down or they provide a bad service.

I have a broadband connection, but I used to dial up manually, now I have a different modem that is continuously on and I haven't had a probelm since.

Hope this helps !

Thanks
    Hey WARHEAD,

Hm, maybe "HostSave" is the problem. But how can I know if that really is the problem, if I'm able to get to my website on the net, then I assume Hostsave to be working at the time. It has done a few weird things in the past, but usually Hostsave has my website up like it's suppose to.

I have DSL, maybe I need a faster connection than even that?

I tried re-installing Dreamweaver, restarting the computer, taking out and putting back in the DSL cable, and no change yet. I remember a little more than a few months ago that when I put images up, it would just work. Before that, I had this same problem I have now. This was all on my home computer. At my last job I had Dreamweaver on a machine and it would work with no problem no matter how many files I would send to the net. But once in a great while, it wouldn't send anything. I think Hostsave was indeed the problem some of those times (since Hostsave was indeed down for that brief time), but not all of those times, which makes me question, when it isn't hostsave, what is it? Maybe my DSL, as fast as I thought it was, still isn't fast enough for my home computer to put files up?

But if thats the case, how come when I upload an image to my Yahoo email account, or my CA account, it uploads with no problem? Why is it specifically Dreamweaver the problem??? Is there a setting I have to click somewhere?

I really need to solve this problem soon, or no updating my website for a while. This really sucks. I hope I can get this taken care of, the best I can do is upoad one image at a time with the hopes that it will even do that when it should be uploading multiple files with ease.

-C

Thanks
    Hey Chris. I can't say I ever had that problem with Dreamweaver, even when I used to have a dial-up connection. Try checking under REMOTE INFO, and make sure only passive FTP is checked. You can also check your firewall settings (also under the REMOTE INFO). There's a timeout option that could effect your connection. If that doesn't help, try just selecting the files and dragging and dropping them into the folder on your server. If that doesn't work, go get cuteFTP. I use that most of the time now anyways. You can get a 30 day trial version at:

http://www.cuteftp.com/downloads/cuteftp.asp.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Thanks alot fjwalls! I'm gonna try all of that right now. Lets see what happens.

Thanks
    YYEEEEAAAAAH BOOOOOOYYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!

I got that shit workin! Both of you, thanks a LOT!! I went though all the things you mentioned. After what you two said, and after reading up on other people with "put file" dreamweaver problems, I found out it was my Firewall that caused the problem! I simply turned off my firewall completely and when I clicked, "put file" in dreamweaver, it uploaded tons of files like it's suppose to. I didn't know too much about how "firewall's" actually worked until this. Before, all I new was that it helped block internet virus's from my machine. I thought it only blocked things from coming to my computer, as retarted as it sounds I didn't think it's also blocked things leaving my computer, like my files to my website. Makes more sense now.

Ah, so I'm finally getting the hang of this computer program trouble shooting stuff thanks to this place. Thanks again.

-C