Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I lost my Creativity

Thanks

I lost my Creativity

i have the hardest time thinking up stuff now adays. i used to be sooo much more creative and able to think up the craziest characters, poses, and situations, and now when i face a piece of paper, i draw a blank. what the hell happened. its like i completely lost my imaginations
    how do i get it back???
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I sometimes lose creativity when i'm addicted to something else, like a game/ gf. If so, delete the addicting thing (think twice about gf ) and things will go better.

If not just watch a inspiring movie, or watch a lot of art and read interviews from a artist you admire. It allways helps me.

Trust me it will come back 8)

Thanks
    Have you become depressed recently?

It never really goes away. It just flames up stronger than some times, and cools down some times.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; August 5th, 2005 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks
    yeh..i have been working quite a bit...altho i am drawing
    i think now, im doing more drawing then i have for a while, but its usually studies, or stuff from reference.....every time i go and try drawing something from my mind, i cant, or i seem to want to always look for a similar refrence piece, where as before i would just spit out drawings from memory like it was nothing. its like...i gained knowledge of figures, faces etc, so technically now it should be easier to use it in order to draw from my mind, but yet i seem to find it more difficult then when i was oblivious to some rules...

mmm as far as depression goes....im not really depressed....im more frustrated that i seem to be in such a damn slump. and this stupid heat isnt helping one bit...

Thanks
    Okay. Something that I found happened with getting more technical skill. You start drawing and you already have that finished picture in your mind. You're probably having no problem spittin' out images of the human body from the side or 3/4 but the crazy poses just aren't coming.

Try drawing with no end image in mind. You're going for, either a certain feeling or you're just moving your pencil around, but you have no idea what it'll end up like until you've been drawing for five minutes, or longer!

Its like looking in the dark. When you focus on something, you can't see it. However, if you pass your eyes back and forth across it, you'll see more of the image without actually looking at it.

So you're in the dark right now! Now is not the time to focus, just start drawing and let whatever may be, be.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    A sketch competition has kept me working even when in a 'dead zone' of ideas. I haven't done any personal work in a month or so.. but this keeps me working and enjoying what i make, even if i am only devoting 10-15mins per picture.

Might be something you should try to get the fire back.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    If it dosent return with in 48 Hours, call the cops, they might be able to find it for ya ...

Lame
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Hey Hayabusa, i know what you mean, i really do have a harder time to be free with drawing, its like "how can i draw a headless chicken with a cabbage for a head if ive never done it from reference or life?!?!". what i am trying to do though is to depend less on reference, just glance at it, opposite of what we do to train our eye which is to stare at hte object and not at the paepr. id say glance at the reference but let your mind depend on itself to remember how it looks and to give a personal touch to it. or try something new,m like the daily drawings we have here, i need to try it myself. goodluck

Thanks
    Mmmmm.... Just one advice, if it doesn't work then ignore it.

GO OUT AND PLAY

Yep....won't do you good if you keep staring at blank paper now would it? Just go see things, enjoy what's left of summer....it'll help.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks

Keep the old well from running dry

Hey Hayabusa I hear ya and feel for you man.

I've looked over all the helpfull replies (well some of them are) and I want to add a little something that may help. I do this myself and it works.

We all hit dry spells. If we aren't flooded with ideas then sometimes the old image creator in the mind is as blank as a crow flying into a tunnel at midnight. Heres what I do. At those times when I seem to have a bundle of ideas all at once I take a blank piece of computer paper and draw lines dividing it into 4 equal sections. Then I draw a little sample sketch into each seperate section. The sketches don't have to be very detailed. Only good enough to help you remember the idea you were thinking. use a paper hole punch and put the idea sheet in a binder. If you do this while the art ideas are flooding in then by the time a dry spell hits you could have plenty of material to thumb through and never be without an image to draw or paint.

Try this and good luck BP
    Last edited by Bruce Pluto; August 14th, 2005 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    I don't fall into 'idea' troubles, but what may help is going to the art store and getting a bunch of different mediums/supplies that you never used before. I feel I get such a creative rush when i'm trying something i never tried before.

it doesn't have to be something like creating a piece with your shit and a can of polyethylene..somthing simple. If you use pencils all the time...try pens. Try watercolor, gouache...gouche on top of watercolor...watercolor on top of inks..acrylic on top of watercolor...oils over gouache...watercolor over pencils on rice paper...chew on a piece of tracing paper ..spit it out and draw on it with a noodle dipped in food dye.
    OK..a little nutty , but you get the point. I feel the ideas are related (very close) to the entire process, and not just the thought process alone. I get so many more ideas going when I'm on a painting...it's like the medium is speaking back to you.
    Good luck..and just relax...you won't lose it
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Read books, watch movies, spend time with people, and just try and 'become more cultured', if ya know whata mean. I go to Barnes and Noble for three or four hours at least once a week...you can just chill there and see books and nobody gives a damn. That or Starbucks, but they don't have books and you have to pay for coffee (I'm a cheap bastard). Of course, make sure you sketch while you're doing all of this!! =D

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I agree with Darth's suggestion.

Your brain's in a funky rut. It's tired. It wants t'go out and tie one on, so to speak. So...let it.

Go play. Read. Go down the mag store and pick up one copy of every fine arts mag you can find that doesn't make you puke or looks like it was designed for pre-schoolers. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE WHAT'S IN THEM! It doesn't matter. All you wanna do is jump-start your brain. Get it pissed. Get it surprised. Stick a fork up it's ass when it ain't lookin'...

Look at everything you can that you would never normally look at. Don't think about it as being useful or how to adapt it to your needs. Just look. Laugh at it. Puke, if you want. Tear it up and throw it from the roof...BUT LOOK AT EVERY PAGE FIRST. Even the ads. When you're through with that shit, get a mag on Farming with tractors, teen fashions, woodworking or scale modeling, making rugs, Norwegian glass ware, whatever.

Read as much as you can of 'em. Look at the pictures. look at the ads. Answer that classified from that one-eyed old lady tattoo artist in Milwaukee lookin' for love in all the wrong places.

Let your brain roll in all this muck for a while, then go down to the local McDonalds with a sketch pad, kick the smelly guy with the cart out of his corner, sit down and see what happens when you try to draw...
    Last edited by Ilaekae; August 8th, 2005 at 12:48 AM. Reason: clarity mistake

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast