Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ignored threads and us :)

Thanks

Ignored threads and us :)

Have you ever seen this threads were people doent say anything for months, and the pic in it isnt that bad?

Have you hever seen pics with a horrible pic, but lots and lots of replys?

This is a common problem already, theres a lot of threads that dont get any replys..at all, perhaps due the number of threads started every day, or other reasons.
    How can you avoid having to suffer to be ignored?

In my opinion:

-It might not be interesting ( but how can you know what is interesting and waht isnt)

-The pic in the thread isnt good or bad, so nobody knows what to say about it.

-The person who started the thread didnt clarify if he wants help, opinions or just show the pic.

In your opinion, how can you avoid having an ignored thread in the "artwork" seccion?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    keep posting

Thanks
    My recommendation has always been to first of all have a desriptive title, catchy if you can make it. From there, a blurb describing what the artist was trying to achieve, trouble encoutered, and what he just can't resolve.

Subject matter and effort may also affect reaction. If you've doodled a 2-minute mech in your math book and posted it for praise, I think there will be less motivation to comment. It all comes down to respect, in many cases. When it's obvious that a person respects their art and holds learning dear, it will draw far more interest than the one who just tosses up pics just for a confirmation of their existance.

If that fails, a ribald limrick is always amusing.

Thanks
    Hehehe, well i mean leaving the fact of keeping your post upfloat aside. ( i mean is obvious you wont get replys if your post is waaaaay down)

But for example, i have seen threads where they update every day or every 2 days and still sink to the bottom without any reply, but with a lot of views.

My question, and the point of this threads is, "what makes that thread to not be interesting enought to answer?"

I mean there are some post where there arent that much of a deal, but still people reply that post more than others.

Probably the participation of the person who started the post is considered, i mean, people know that person, and you had replys from that person in the past.....or maybe you know him personally, etc....

Anyways, im not complaining myself, just want to know the factors ( leaving the obvious aside please )

EDIT: A yea, the title is an important factor, but theres times were people make a an ugly doodle and get a lot of replys of poeple telling him that he should care more and make things less raw, etc, so making ugly stuff is sometimes a positive factor to get replys, but not a positive factor to determine the nature of the replys of cource ( i mean you get a lot of " !$%&·$ " )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Hehehe, well i mean leaving the fact of keeping your post upfloat aside. ( i mean is obvious you wont get replys if your post is waaaaay down)

But for example, i have seen threads where they update every day or every 2 days and still sink to the bottom without any reply, but with a lot of views.

My question, and the point of this threads is, "what makes that thread to not be interesting enought to answer?"

I mean there are some post where there arent that much of a deal, but still people reply that post more than others.

Probably the participation of the person who started the post is considered, i mean, people know that person, and you had replys from that person in the past.....or maybe you know him personally, etc....

Anyways, im not complaining myself, just want to know the factors ( leaving the obvious aside please )
    For myself, if I click on a thread and see something wrong, I'll try to post a comment here or there to give a helping hand.

If the piece is good I'll leave a comment of appreciation for it.

If it sucks so bad that all my critiques basically describe the picture, I won't leave anything because it will probably just depress the person. I know these artist type with their manic depressive physche you know =)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    For myself, if I click on a thread and see something wrong, I'll try to post a comment here or there to give a helping hand.

If the piece is good I'll leave a comment of appreciation for it.

If it sucks so bad that all my critiques basically describe the picture, I won't leave anything because it will probably just depress the person. I know these artist type with their manic depressive physche you know =)

And many times even obsessive XD, but yes, as dog food said, sometimes you see that the person what praise, no comments or critiques, and if you say something like, "you need to practice more on...", they get mad and aggresive in their replys ( quoting some skull drawing from the other time)

Also is easyer to reply when the pic haves errors casue you know what to say in that case.

Thanks

Lightbulb

I guess the subject is very important : fantasy stuff, or games design, or fan art will always have greater success, even if it's bad, than graphical experiments, or children book stuff, or ethnical subjects...
    Just look at Imphead's threads, here or on CGtalk : obviously he's one of the best painter around here, developping his particular world of robots, but he hasn't got a lot of replies regarding his level (but he doesn't participate much ...)
    About titles, general descriptions such as "character designs" or "dragon&elves" work very well, no need to be catchy as long as it looks familiar to visitors here.
    Last edited by Arctis; August 5th, 2005 at 02:58 PM.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Indeed Arctis, it seems the theme must be "popular", at least for the ones who were placed with the aim of getting praised.

In my opinion we, as a community could push ourselves a little to reply more, i mean we should acknoloedge the problem and find a periodic solution. But waht is the actuall proble, well the problem is that we dont feel compeled to reply threads for various reasons, and in most cases, the people posting a new art work do need help, or do need opinions, to at least know her or his level, or find out if they are making something in the right style..or maybe even just something as simple as a color sheme, etc....

But, poeple asking for replys should be clear on their intentions as well " C&C" just resumes to much, and telling how they made this and why is to vague as well ( and is common in threads looking for "moral support" or jusr plain praising to feel better about their work...wish is not that good), you cant ask them to be better or more interesting, cause sometimes they are just not. But you can ask honesty from them so people dont have to figure out waht to say.....if you know what i mean XD...

To much bla bla, im late with today´s shedule already XD

Thanks
    well, if you're referring to a sketchbook type thread, it helps to have lots of art in there....I mean, like...if you post so much in your thread that you make it to a second page, then people will know that you're serious.

Also, if you comment a lot in other people's threads, they'll usually try to return the favour.

a post count of 80-something indicates that either a)you don't have much art posted, and you've commented a lot.
    b)you've posted a lot of art, but haven't commented too much.
    c)that you're just getting started when it comes to posting art and posting comments on other people's art.
    or,
    d)you post a lot in the lounge, like me.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    art that is awful is easy to critique and therefore gets a lot of replies. If its really good, or posted my a popular forum member than a lot of people will pat the guy on the back with a compliment. However, if the work is simply average, then you probably wont get too many replies. No one sees anything glaringly obvious to critique, and its not good enough for all the fanboy responses.

Having few responses just means you need to try harder to make better art.

Thanks
    i dont reply to people because usualy, im looking at threads where the art is completely blowing my mind. what i look for in threads is a) lots of content, b) lots of replies or views (hinting the content might be cool) and c) i almost always try returning the favour is someone posts a reply in my sketchbook thread

Thanks
    What determines if I, personally, am going to leave a reply to someone's art is how much effort they put in.

Some drawings can be awful, but clear there was a lot of work put into it. I'll comment.

Some are great paintings, obvious of hard work, and I'll leave a comment.

I won't comment if something looks rushed, or done without any delicacy, or copied from something I've seen before (like anime threads).

Sometimes I'll like something a lot but won't commemnt just because I'm too damn lazy and don't feel like it.

it all depends.

Thanks
    I find that questions invite feedback and use of first and second person pronouns tend to make people feel more comfortable to reply to you.

For example, you can set up a question:

"I personally find that the style I color my work is pretty good, but I'm not exactly sure how to make this style better, what area do you think I should focus on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast