Ignored threads and us :)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ignored threads and us :)

Have you ever seen this threads were people doent say anything for months, and the pic in it isnt that bad?

Have you hever seen pics with a horrible pic, but lots and lots of replys?

This is a common problem already, theres a lot of threads that dont get any replys..at all, perhaps due the number of threads started every day, or other reasons.
    How can you avoid having to suffer to be ignored?

In my opinion:

-It might not be interesting ( but how can you know what is interesting and waht isnt)

-The pic in the thread isnt good or bad, so nobody knows what to say about it.

-The person who started the thread didnt clarify if he wants help, opinions or just show the pic.

In your opinion, how can you avoid having an ignored thread in the "artwork" seccion?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My recommendation has always been to first of all have a desriptive title, catchy if you can make it. From there, a blurb describing what the artist was trying to achieve, trouble encoutered, and what he just can't resolve.

Subject matter and effort may also affect reaction. If you've doodled a 2-minute mech in your math book and posted it for praise, I think there will be less motivation to comment. It all comes down to respect, in many cases. When it's obvious that a person respects their art and holds learning dear, it will draw far more interest than the one who just tosses up pics just for a confirmation of their existance.

If that fails, a ribald limrick is always amusing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehe, well i mean leaving the fact of keeping your post upfloat aside. ( i mean is obvious you wont get replys if your post is waaaaay down)

But for example, i have seen threads where they update every day or every 2 days and still sink to the bottom without any reply, but with a lot of views.

My question, and the point of this threads is, "what makes that thread to not be interesting enought to answer?"

I mean there are some post where there arent that much of a deal, but still people reply that post more than others.

Probably the participation of the person who started the post is considered, i mean, people know that person, and you had replys from that person in the past.....or maybe you know him personally, etc....

Anyways, im not complaining myself, just want to know the factors ( leaving the obvious aside please )

EDIT: A yea, the title is an important factor, but theres times were people make a an ugly doodle and get a lot of replys of poeple telling him that he should care more and make things less raw, etc, so making ugly stuff is sometimes a positive factor to get replys, but not a positive factor to determine the nature of the replys of cource ( i mean you get a lot of " !$%&·$ " )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Hehehe, well i mean leaving the fact of keeping your post upfloat aside. ( i mean is obvious you wont get replys if your post is waaaaay down)

But for example, i have seen threads where they update every day or every 2 days and still sink to the bottom without any reply, but with a lot of views.

My question, and the point of this threads is, "what makes that thread to not be interesting enought to answer?"

I mean there are some post where there arent that much of a deal, but still people reply that post more than others.

Probably the participation of the person who started the post is considered, i mean, people know that person, and you had replys from that person in the past.....or maybe you know him personally, etc....

Anyways, im not complaining myself, just want to know the factors ( leaving the obvious aside please )
    For myself, if I click on a thread and see something wrong, I'll try to post a comment here or there to give a helping hand.

If the piece is good I'll leave a comment of appreciation for it.

If it sucks so bad that all my critiques basically describe the picture, I won't leave anything because it will probably just depress the person. I know these artist type with their manic depressive physche you know =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    For myself, if I click on a thread and see something wrong, I'll try to post a comment here or there to give a helping hand.

If the piece is good I'll leave a comment of appreciation for it.

If it sucks so bad that all my critiques basically describe the picture, I won't leave anything because it will probably just depress the person. I know these artist type with their manic depressive physche you know =)

And many times even obsessive XD, but yes, as dog food said, sometimes you see that the person what praise, no comments or critiques, and if you say something like, "you need to practice more on...", they get mad and aggresive in their replys ( quoting some skull drawing from the other time)

Also is easyer to reply when the pic haves errors casue you know what to say in that case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

I guess the subject is very important : fantasy stuff, or games design, or fan art will always have greater success, even if it's bad, than graphical experiments, or children book stuff, or ethnical subjects...
    Just look at Imphead's threads, here or on CGtalk : obviously he's one of the best painter around here, developping his particular world of robots, but he hasn't got a lot of replies regarding his level (but he doesn't participate much ...)
    About titles, general descriptions such as "character designs" or "dragon&elves" work very well, no need to be catchy as long as it looks familiar to visitors here.

Last edited by Arctis; August 5th, 2005 at 02:58 PM.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed Arctis, it seems the theme must be "popular", at least for the ones who were placed with the aim of getting praised.

In my opinion we, as a community could push ourselves a little to reply more, i mean we should acknoloedge the problem and find a periodic solution. But waht is the actuall proble, well the problem is that we dont feel compeled to reply threads for various reasons, and in most cases, the people posting a new art work do need help, or do need opinions, to at least know her or his level, or find out if they are making something in the right style..or maybe even just something as simple as a color sheme, etc....

But, poeple asking for replys should be clear on their intentions as well " C&C" just resumes to much, and telling how they made this and why is to vague as well ( and is common in threads looking for "moral support" or jusr plain praising to feel better about their work...wish is not that good), you cant ask them to be better or more interesting, cause sometimes they are just not. But you can ask honesty from them so people dont have to figure out waht to say.....if you know what i mean XD...

To much bla bla, im late with today´s shedule already XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, if you're referring to a sketchbook type thread, it helps to have lots of art in there....I mean, like...if you post so much in your thread that you make it to a second page, then people will know that you're serious.

Also, if you comment a lot in other people's threads, they'll usually try to return the favour.

a post count of 80-something indicates that either a)you don't have much art posted, and you've commented a lot.
    b)you've posted a lot of art, but haven't commented too much.
    c)that you're just getting started when it comes to posting art and posting comments on other people's art.
    or,
    d)you post a lot in the lounge, like me.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    art that is awful is easy to critique and therefore gets a lot of replies. If its really good, or posted my a popular forum member than a lot of people will pat the guy on the back with a compliment. However, if the work is simply average, then you probably wont get too many replies. No one sees anything glaringly obvious to critique, and its not good enough for all the fanboy responses.

Having few responses just means you need to try harder to make better art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont reply to people because usualy, im looking at threads where the art is completely blowing my mind. what i look for in threads is a) lots of content, b) lots of replies or views (hinting the content might be cool) and c) i almost always try returning the favour is someone posts a reply in my sketchbook thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What determines if I, personally, am going to leave a reply to someone's art is how much effort they put in.

Some drawings can be awful, but clear there was a lot of work put into it. I'll comment.

Some are great paintings, obvious of hard work, and I'll leave a comment.

I won't comment if something looks rushed, or done without any delicacy, or copied from something I've seen before (like anime threads).

Sometimes I'll like something a lot but won't commemnt just because I'm too damn lazy and don't feel like it.

it all depends.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that questions invite feedback and use of first and second person pronouns tend to make people feel more comfortable to reply to you.

For example, you can set up a question:

"I personally find that the style I color my work is pretty good, but I'm not exactly sure how to make this style better, what area do you think I should focus on?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of nudity and some flashing lights does it for me...

A lot of the threads that i enter don't have any posts, but I often can't add one myself because I'm not familiar enough with the subject or genre to comment in a way that makes sense...

...I mean...I'm old...what the hell do I know about Zorox and the Demon Slavers of Zorblatt?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, there are some interesting points in this thread.
    I agree with Hayabusa. There *is* a social component in replying to a thread. I think that members who post a lot in other sketchbooks for example will surely get more replies on their own threads.

And apart from that I´ll post a reply when there is a thread going on which I think has potential, but that could benefit from my reply.
    I have to admit that I won´t post in threads that have some very low quality pics in it. It is just because I don´t want the artist to feel bad with the things I might critique.
    And on the other side, there are some threads which are on such a high level that every comment would be unnecessary. Just because there is nothing more to say than "woooooow"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeh i was gunna say what johnny said. art is so good soemtimes that a comment would be unnecessary. also, having a link to ur work in your sig helps a lot, because it allows people to view your work without having to dig through pages and pages of other stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to sit around in CGtalk.com and crit in the WIP forums a lot. It can be vary time consuming, and it made me draw a lot less. But it was worth my time, I can now spot my own problems a lot easyer then befor.

I try and post in those threads that have a few replys or none. No replys can get to people somtimes, and it makes them feel more apart of the community when they do get replys.

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that when I say, make a thread (the few I have made) and no one really replies to it, I tend to feel...well, left out...or something like that. Like say when I post artwork and I get either 0 or 2 replies. I think something like, "does my stuff suck that much that no one bothers to reply?"
    It is human nature to assume the worst afterall.
    When I post I want people to crit my stuff. They can say what they want; good or bad. That's why I posted it. When no one does say anything it makes you think, "why did I even post this in the first place? What a waste of time".
    That's my thoughts on the issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    ...I mean...I'm old...what the hell do I know about Zorox and the Demon Slavers of Zorblatt?
    Oh, you know him: he's Lou's cousin... by marraige. Aunt Marge says his wife looks like a tramp. Of course, when she's hittin' the sauce, all the wives look like tramps to her... I think the whole slaving thing is a way to keep from doing taxes; everyone's moving their businesses off-shore to Zorblatt and calling it "slave-this" and "slave-that". I think he's actually doing dry-cleaning...

It would be fascinating if someone where to do his thesis on the subject, because I think it's almost entirely random, overall. Posting just a tad over the average, I can't say that I post more (in relation to the number of total posts) to people I know than those I don't.

And a catchy title may not make me comment, but I was hoping that people would add one in order to better entertain me.

Me, me, me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been posting up here in the sketchbook section for about a year now and I don't really get a ton of replies. At first I kind of thought it sucked but then I just quit caring about it and just started reading other people's crits and that really helped me improve. Sometimes my posts are kind on and off time wise, because I've learned so much that I end up spending more time on what I do and can't really update daily. I got like 80 pics in page 4 of my sketchbook and not a ton of replies but it doesnt really bother me at all. I know my work is fairly average at best compared to most people around here and I'm not really expecting any ooo's and aaa's or anything. I'm just gonna keep plugging away and dropping some stuff in there whenever I can and whenever I get those crits, absorb as much as I can from them. If I really wanted some major crits I'd post a really detailed idea about what I was going for and what was giving me hangups and drop it in helpful critiques.

That said, I dont really reply too often on people's works. If they got a lot of praise already then I probably wont jump in with mine unless something really inspires the hell out of me. With crits unless I really know what I'm talking about then I'll refrain from chiming in, because it usually takes me a good amount of time to explain what I'm trying to help out with, unless its something really obvious. If it was in person it'd be a lot easier to do though.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My observation is that ok stuff (not very good, not very bad) gets the least attention.

I posted something in the finally finished thread, got two replies saying in general words that the anatomy was bad, nothing helpful (since it didn't really say how it was bad) the post wasn't moved out of the finally finished section so it couldn't be so bad, and then it fell down.

It wasn't great, wasn't awful, it just got ignored. Maybe ppl didn't know how it could be improved, I dunno.

Stuff in the critique center also gets less response than in the WIP section. I'm not sure it should still exist in fact since the purpose is the same.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it sounds obvious, but if you want people to be interested enough to comment, make something... wait for it... interesting. that's more important than technical accomplishment, in my humble opinion.

oh, and by the way, if you don't know what 'interesting' is, then that's your challenge right there. devote your time to thinking about that rather than bemoaning the elitist social structures of internet art forums.. haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of months ago i dug up an ooold Foster thread... he only had about 4 or 5 comments on it? and it was a great piece!! I don't see anything wrong with digging up an old old thread if the piece is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zorox and the Demon Slavers of Zorblatt
    ...speaking of great thread titles...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of months ago i dug up an ooold Foster thread... he only had about 4 or 5 comments on it? and it was a great piece!! I don't see anything wrong with digging up an old old thread if the piece is great.
    People are sheep, and they don't know talent when they see it.

Well, come on. It's Jon Foster. 4 or 5 replies?.....jeez.

I think alot of people come here for the social aspect. I don't think it's a merit system.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.