Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Worst book turned movie?

    what movie adapted from a book was your biggest disappointment?

    I know just about everyone will disagree with me, but The Shining is mine. The book was frigginí unbelievable! One of the best Iíve ever read and all you hear about the movie is how good it is. I have to disagree completely. Maybe if I didnít read and love the book, but the movie didnít have half of the things in the book and added extras (i.e. the twin girls).

    I posted this because of the Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie coming out later this year. I loved the book when I was a kid, but I wonder how the movie will be?

    I know that 9/10 will say, "The book is always better"

    Thoughts and opinions please.......


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    This has been mentioned on another thread, but the TV movie of a Wrinkle in Time that was on a while back was just awful.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The Count of Monte Cristo .

    -They took the whole theme that he was acting as God's hand and turned it around so that he didn't even believe in God until the end!?
    -No Haydee?!
    -Why the F*CK change Villefort's wife's name to Valentine?!
    -Edmond and Fernand were friends instead of rivals?!
    -Fernand was a nobleman's son instead of a fisherman?!
    Last edited by glikster; August 10th, 2005 at 12:52 PM.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    This has been mentioned on another thread, but the TV movie of a Wrinkle in Time that was on a while back was just awful.
    I figured it had. Oh well.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanks
    1,343
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    The discovery channels adaptation of Wayne Barlowe's 'Expedition.' It had tons of potential which was all pissed away by low production values and pseudo-documentary bullshit.

    I hear the Discovery Channel is doing an adaptation of Raptor Red... A great book but I'm cringing at the thought of yet another low budget half-assed production.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How about the Second Jurassic Park book? I can't remember what it was called. A Lost World? Anyways, great book, shasty movie.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Big gripes revolve around 2 of the biggest firefights the modern US army faced in the 20th century.

    Blackhawk Down. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie. But there was so many things happening at the same time Mr Scott couldn't possibly get them all into the 2.5 hours. Hence it didn't work for me.....didn't help when I read the book some 12 times and have been doing my own research into the incident.

    The even bigger culprit. WE WERE SOLDIERS.
    Totally didn't do justice to the book, was grossly inaccurate, laced with bad acting and it had probably just as many speaking parts as BHD. But it was very badly done IMHO. The only thing that reflected what was on the book was the amount of North Vietnamese soldiers pouring onto the battlefield. Everything else was mostly shot to hell for "dramatization".

    The fiction/fantasy adaptations, I don't have much problems with. Mostly because we, as readers are limited only by our imagination, while the movie was limited by boardroom approved budget and the director's good taste. That's why I feel its still acceptable most times. But adaptations based on real historical events are those that irk me somewhat....especially if they're inaccurate.

    I immensely enjoyed the Harry Potter movies and also the LOTR Trilogy. I'm looking forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory despite some negative reviews and for sure I'm hoping for an enjoyable outing with the next Potter movie as well as Narnia.
    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Spaceball One
    Posts
    482
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Stuart Little hands down in my opinion....loved the book as a kid, matured me after reading it in fact because of its adult themes...what a shitty hollywood movie E.B. White must be rolling over in his grave(if he's dead???).
    -Call me Semaj for short.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hayeske
    I posted this because of the Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie coming out later this year. I loved the book when I was a kid, but I wonder how the movie will be?
    Just thought I'd point out, I've never read the book but the TV film blew me away.

    When it comes to disappointments, LotR is a strange one - I loved the film trilogy to no end, but The Return Of the King disappointed me in the lack of some Ent action down at Helm's Deep. Bloomin' Rohirrim. It's a petty disagreement, but one that stands. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of films from books, or indeed read a lot.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Arkansas (NOT "OUR KANSAS"!)
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hayeske
    How about the Second Jurassic Park book? I can't remember what it was called. A Lost World? Anyways, great book, shasty movie.
    I agree. This would have to be my choice. It really wasn't too bad of a movie, except for a few parts, but the book was waaaaaaay better and totally different. Of course Walking with Dinosaurs, or any Discovery special could beat JP3 hands down. That movie just sucked on so many levels. If I were Michael Crichton, I would take someone to court over that shit!
    -Brad Cossey

    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've only read the first Lord of the Rings book, and I'd have to say that the movie did a pretty good job of copying the book. There was a lot of stuff to cram into 3 hours of movie. My only complaint was the absence of Tom Bombadil and that whole section. I think it would have been a good addition.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Timeline's (book by Michael Crighton) film adaption is one of the worst. Although not what you would call a literary masterpiece, the book was pretty neat and enjoyable. The movie however... was not, to say the least..
    -I am my imaginary friend.

    - omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Spaceball One
    Posts
    482
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Another Michael Crichton book that sucked as a movie is my favorite book of his Eaters of the Dead (which is basically a retelling of the epic poem Beowulf in non-poetic form) you may not have heard of the movie because it was named The 13th warrior. I disliked it because they took away the whole magical element/grendel feel of the book for the eaters of the dead.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssenkrah Semaj
    Another Michael Crichton book that sucked as a movie is my favorite book of his Eaters of the Dead (which is basically a retelling of the epic poem Beowulf in non-poetic form) you may not have heard of the movie because it was named The 13th warrior. I disliked it because they took away the whole magical element/grendel feel of the book for the eaters of the dead.

    I didn't know that The 13th Warrior was based on a Michael Crichton book. I thought the movie was pretty good, but now I want to read the book. The only Michael Crichton movie I really like was the first Jurrasic Park, even though I never read the book. A Trivial Pursuit question I remember about him was that he was fired from one of his book-to-movie productions because he wanted to change the movie too much from the book......maybe it's a pattern for him

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The Messenger. The movie adaptation of Joan of Arc, where she is made out to be nuts. Man did this movie ever suck. I disagree about the Shining, unless your talking about the crummy TV version that came out about 2 years ago. It was actually closer to the book, but was nowhere near as scary as the original movie. Heeeeeeeeeres Johnnnny!

    Who am I too judge, but I never understood Tom Bombadil's place in the book. It seems very unneccisary and frankly a departure from the feel of the book.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    The Messenger. The movie adaptation of Joan of Arc, where she is made out to be nuts. Man did this movie ever suck. I disagree about the Shining, unless your talking about the crummy TV version that came out about 2 years ago. It was actually closer to the book, but was nowhere near as scary as the original movie. Heeeeeeeeeres Johnnnny!
    How was the original scary? Maybe scary because it was so bad. Total letdown. Seriously, read the book. I don't read books ever, and that was kicked ass.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Jack Nick chasing you around with a big axe is scary bro. Im not really a big fan of Stephen King. Too much character development fo rmy taste.... I read it a long time ago, some of the ideas would have been hard to pull off convincingly then.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with that. I think the thing that really pisses me off about the movie is the twins in the hall and how everyone talks about that as being so scary. IT WASN'T EVEN IN THE BOOK!!! The book is way creepier than that lame movie. No, I take that back. The woman in that movie, can't remember her name. She was so damn ugly in that movie it was scary. I don't know if you remember the episode of Friends when Joey and Rachel were reading The Shining and Little Women. They made a reference to those damn twins like they were in the book. The writers of that episode didn't do their homework.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    ha ha ha. Yeah, his wife really did get on my nerves. What sis you think of Cujo? That @#^@ was scary too. I havent seen a really scary movie in ages though. What is a good recent scary one?

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    I havent seen a really scary movie in ages though. What is a good recent scary one?
    Many people will probably disagree with me, but The Ring freaked me out bad. And parts of The Grudge. I'll have to think about other recent ones I've seen......

  22. #21
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA US
    Posts
    1,127
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 78 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnyo
    Just thought I'd point out, I've never read the book but the TV film blew me away.

    When it comes to disappointments, LotR is a strange one - I loved the film trilogy to no end, but The Return Of the King disappointed me in the lack of some Ent action down at Helm's Deep. Bloomin' Rohirrim. It's a petty disagreement, but one that stands. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of films from books, or indeed read a lot.
    Have you seen the special extended edition of Two Towers? They added in the forest at the end. All the orcs retreat and gandalf tells everyone not to follow them and it really looks like the trees swallow them up haha its pretty brief, but its cool. Really the film versions arent nearly as good in comparison to the extended editions, mostly because a lot of the flow of the cinematography gets chopped up, and its so much easier to follow in the extended version.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

  23. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'll have to give those two a rent.

    The extended versions of the LOTR are great. I didn't like some of the comedic parts with Gimli in the ROTK though. They kinda made parts that were supposed to be creepy and made them goofy. Other then that, it was spot on though.

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Some_Guy
    Have you seen the special extended edition of Two Towers? They added in the forest at the end. All the orcs retreat and gandalf tells everyone not to follow them and it really looks like the trees swallow them up haha its pretty brief, but its cool. Really the film versions arent nearly as good in comparison to the extended editions, mostly because a lot of the flow of the cinematography gets chopped up, and its so much easier to follow in the extended version.
    Bugger, no, that would explain a LOT. Heh, the length of RotK alone sorta put me off watching any film longer than that... guess I'll have to watch them again before sticking my foot in my mouth. (Comments retracted - LotR rocks)

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    1,746
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 56 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    I havent seen a really scary movie in ages though. What is a good recent scary one?
    The Grudge and the original Japanese version, Ju-on, were damn creepy. I don't remember the directors name, but that movie had some of the most innovative scare moments that I've seen in a long time. The cinematograhpy and pace of the scenes with the ghosts are awesome.

    The original Japanese version is very good too, and has some different scenes, and a different ending.

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    cold wet pit of northern oblivion
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 92 Times in 92 Posts
    Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham) just sucked all kinds of ass

    for a bit of vice versa stuff blade runner and do androids dream of electric sheep, and fahrenheit 451

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Arkansas (NOT "OUR KANSAS"!)
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hayeske
    I didn't know that The 13th Warrior was based on a Michael Crichton book. I thought the movie was pretty good, but now I want to read the book. The only Michael Crichton movie I really like was the first Jurrasic Park, even though I never read the book. A Trivial Pursuit question I remember about him was that he was fired from one of his book-to-movie productions because he wanted to change the movie too much from the book......maybe it's a pattern for him
    I liked the movie 13th Warrior, but I never read the book it's based on. I have read "Timeline" and liked it, but I haven't seen the movie yet. As for the Tom Bombadil part of LOTR, that's where I lost interest reading it and I'm glad they didn't put it in the movie. I'm also glad they didn't put all that singing crap in there. LOTR trilogy was actually better in movie form IMO. I just couldn't bring myself to read the books all the way through. I know they are masterpieces and Tolkien spent a lot of time and energy and put a lot of thought into the universe he created and the story isn't bad, but the books lost me on the boring parts. I even tried to skip them, but just found more. Maybe someday I can read it all, but as for now...
    -Brad Cossey

    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

  28. #27
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    10,430
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i have to say the old "war of the worlds" adaption.(when was that? 80s?)
    they took away everything that was good in the book. they didn't even have tripods. the only good thing were the sounds. the rest sucked ass.

    as for scary movies: alien is the scariest thing i've ever watched (though after the first time it's not that scary anymore). even though you perfectly know what's gonna happen in most situations you still get the heck scared. if you want a scary movie with perfect characters on top,you choose the second one (aliens). no characters have ever been better than those.

    lotr was a perfect adaption,in all three films. the extended versions make it even better because you get alot more flow to it and some nice details which enrich the world even more. nr 2 is probably still my favourite because of the perfectly conveyed emotions.
    Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]


    Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

  29. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    2,443
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 99 Times in 47 Posts
    anyone remember tank girl? that was bad.

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    That old War of the Worlds movie is from the 50's.
    They had a War of the Worlds television show in the 80's. Didn't last too long.

  31. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    1,746
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 56 Times in 14 Posts
    The newer version of HG Wells The Time Machine. That was bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite comic/movie/book cover?
    By ImagineTheEnding in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
  2. worst movie i've EVER seen. EVER. (the happening)
    By TheDirtSyndicate in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: July 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.