Thanks

Critiquing............................

I was just wondering if anyone here has any insight or comments in the matter of how people with no TECHNICAL know how can slam a piece or a body of work if they them selfs have not had a hand in trying to create something digitally. If you have any insight or comments in this matter please feel free to post.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I was asking myself the same thing. Then I realize lay people can see what's "wrong" but only problem is most if not all can't rationalize it for you from an artist's POV.

Yeah I ask people what they think....whether they like it or not....and if the feel something is wrong, I'll go back to fellow artists to try and figure what's wrong.

Don't get pissed off....improve!
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Take some, leave some. Try to see what kind of comments come up more often.

Thanks
    Everyone with functioning eyes can give a valid critique, even if they aren't good artists. Just as long as they aren't being assholes that is.

Kinda like how most people can tell a bad singer from a good one even if they haven't done any singing themselves.

Es fliet durch meine Venen, Es schlft in meinen Trnen
    Es luft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Um, difficult. I'm aware of many errors i make and i don't need people to point them out. I need help how to avoid those errors, and people without the technical training can't help me there. So i say if you can't do better, shut up. Sorry.

Thanks
    If you are only willing to accept advice from those whom you consider more skilled than yourself, you won't get better very fast. A person's skill level doesn't necessarily determine their ability to spot what works and what doesn't work in a particular piece. The key is being able to spot the valid comment from the useless comment. This means taking the "wow, you rock with mad skillz" in the same vein as "nature, abhoring a vacuum, must hate you cuz you suck so much".

Thanks
    Sorry Peeps, I think I made it sound the wrong way. I love having comments made to my work (good or bad), What I find disturbing is that there is a lack of respect for digital art work today (not as bad as a few years ago thou). I find it a lot in more of the old school artists then the newer breed, thou I have to admit when it comes to the traditional medium Ive gotten really lazy (WATING FOR PAINT TO DRY, CLEANING YOUR BRUSHES). Although I do still think that you do have to learn to walk before you run and the pencil and brush are the first steps in the learning curve but I also think that people of the past have to realize that the computer is also a tool like the brush and should learn to gain a respect for the people that use them. After all the computer cannot do it aloneOR CAN IT.

Thanks
    No, now there you're smokin' the big ganja. Digital art takes no skill; you just hit the "create great art" button on the computer and there you are! That's why the vast majority of digital art is so pleasing to look at.

i.e., you're preaching to the choir here. It's a question of ignorance on the part of those who are busting you.

Thanks
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    I think it really depends on the situation, but what i wrote about is something i see very often here. It's like saying "Dude, those arms look way off". When the person who gets the critique doesn't have a real handle on proportions, it doesn't help at all. Or "There's a bone missing there." Well yes, probably, but if you can't tell me how that bone would look in that position how am i supposed to draw it there? It's one of the reasons i don't post a lot of art here. I need to figure that stuff out myself anyway, and i can only do it by drawing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    Take some, leave some. Try to see what kind of comments come up more often.
    Best advice posted in this thread so far. Regardless of skill level, some people will give good crits and some people will give bad crits. In the end it's up to you to think them through and decide which ones can help you.

Thanks
    "i don't like it." = personal opinion that I ignore.

"He has 2 left feet!" = something I pay attention to.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Dogfood:

Noshadowmaster: Well not pissed off more like frustrated, I would have to say in the last year or so Ive come across many art Directors (not all) that think that when it comes to correction time, being that I used the computer that its okay to see how it looks this way or how about that way and on and on. I know thats a given now a days but after a while it kind of gets old, I know I know stop the bitching (thats what my chic tells me all the time) but some times I guess I just have to vent. How do you guys and girls deal with it? I quit drinking a while ago, maybe its time to start again.

john o.: I here you.

Groover McNab: Your right, I guess it all boils down to self confidence. By the way I just check out your Sketchbook thread, nice work keep it up!

Thanks
    I think even if the person can't exactly say WHY the "arms look way off" I'd like to hear it. Because it can lead to the reason why. From someone else, or from the artists own investigation into it.

I totally agree with the take some, leave some.

After being on the forum a while, you will get to know the solid advice from the blowing smoke. Even the harsh crits you will be able to take (the being an asshole part). No, I don't like it either, my first instinct on some was to be pissed off, then after long thought I realized that I could take it. It would prepare me for the worst, if I could take "your hot girl looks like a baboon in drag, did you scribble this out in 5minutes with your butt?" crit, then I had overcome a major stubmling block ... which is Taking and being able to make use of crits, filtering out the things that made me pissy, because I didn't use my butt, I used my nose. (yeah learn to laugh at yourself helps)

Personal attacks, ok, thats not the same as "harsh crit" and isn't necessary.

I'll come right out and say it, since I know some of you are thinking it...

Madster. He crits a lot and they are not soft padded charmin for your tender booty. After others got a look at his work, the pitchforks were handed out and bonfires lit. You know what though, a lot of his crits are right on. Some are not. So he doesn't have a perfect batting average, so what, not many do. I'd love to see other's spending as much time as he does critting and offering help as he does, and I almost look at his crit style as a test of wether you can take it or not... that and they make me laugh, he's our little devils advocate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    He's a dick, but he's right
    I know, Madster might need to work on taking crits a little better but hey we're all growing (nothing but love madster )

I've had people crit some of my work and I thought "good lord are you insane?" but I didn't say that, I said thank you. Though most crits here are right on and so helpful, many from artists who are just beginning to learn skills.

I've give a thumbsup to anyone spending their time trying to help others, whatever their skill level may be, with DSillustration, Elwell and all the other generous professionals on these boards helping out... the crits that might lead someone astray will be re-diverted. And from what I've seen, we can all agree to disagree civilly.

and yay for egerie to sum it up simply

"Take some, leave some. Try to see what kind of comments come up more often."
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneydollah
    I guess I just have to vent. How do you guys and girls deal with it? I quit drinking a while ago, maybe its time to start again.
    vent away! and... I can think of few ways besides drinking to help

Actually more inocent ways is that when playing games where I can name my enemies, I'd name them those of the people frustrating me. If I had their picture I'd take it into photoshop and... "make some improvements", print it and hang it on my wall at home. Back when I was digging my garden I'd scream their name everytime I'd bring the hoe down... but that began to scare my husband... as did screaming their name when playing house of the dead and blowing zombies heads off... wow I'm getting off track...

I see what your saying and I think in my previous post I might of went a bit off track.
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Marie, Thanks and no prob with the track thing.

-Rodney

Thanks
    What kinda job do you have and what exactly do you come up with in your job?