Thanks

Who wants to guess why the Art History subforum sucks?

I'm not pointing any fingers or getting mad or anything, just bringing the subject up.

I think it has to do with several factors, number one amongst them being that it's under the education forum. If somebody posts a badass thread, such as http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49271 it has to compete for frontpage viewage with education stuff, not to mention it's all the way at the bottom of the front forum page anyhow. That thread has been there for 6 hours now, there's 200+ people browsing the forums as I write this, and it's had 6 views in 6 hours.

It's a Catch-22, nobody posts there because nobody else sees it, and nobody looks there because nobody posts there. I think the only way to break the cycle is to give it its own front forum section so people can see new threads easier, encouraging people to post threads and go look there

...or has everyone run out of badass artists to share and learn about?

ps-Windsor McCay is awesome.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think like any forum that has been around for a long ass time, some of them should be culled and merged.

The 3d stuff needs revival too, although this is primarily a concept art forum so there's obviously going to be more 2d stuff.

The art history stuff probably doesn;t get much viewing because, well, I don't think many people who frequent this place is as interesting in it as say posting their new artwork.

Thanks
    I agree, not everyone is interested, but for those who are serious, the answers are in the masters. I, for one, would like to learn about alot more artists.

And I'm just as guilty of not helping the Art History forum as anyone.
    Last edited by jetpack42; August 4th, 2005 at 05:28 AM.

Thanks
    I think one problem with the art history forum is that while there is always some dumb stuff happening in the lounge or great stuff in Finally Finished, if you want to know about illustrators you get a book and have nice high quality prints.
    Don't know exactly how to put it, in a forum time goes by and most posts are made in reply to something happening right now. Art & Illustration history is a permanent thing.
    Maybe adding an "Illustrator of the Week" could be more interesting. That way some discussion can happen and everyone can learn a thing or two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    we have an art history forum here?
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    johno- thats a good point, but that's why I bring it up....how many illustrators of the past do you know about? I only really know much about a dozen or so, and I seem to find out about good new artists all the time, and I think "Man! why haven't I heard of that guy before!".

Thanks
    You might as well ask how many illustrators of the present i know about. I know a bunch already, but there is just so much i don't know about. Maybe we could narrow it down to genres. Like comic artists, book cover artists, poster art... the question is how would we discuss something like that? I know it might be pretty interesting if we could get people to share what they know. I think starting threads on individual artists probably won't help.
    I'm thinking of the classic Disney / WB animators for instance. If we would start gathering information at some point someone might say "btw, did you know these two guys knew each other and worked on ... together?" But that's all information that you could write whole books on. And when it's written, you can discuss it - the internet is full of that. We'd need a way to organize all that information, or get someone to write it in the first place.
    Maybe we should start posting articles on art instead of artists? Or we hire our own concept art history writers

Thanks
    well another thing, when you visit the art history forum you've got no idea what you are looking at. It's just a bunch of names you may or may not know. If people had labeled their threads "illustrator" "painter" etc...then you would know where to go to see a good ______.

Thanks
    i hated art history....
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I wasnt aware that we had one, I was thinking to myself the other day that a site like this needs one.

We do, but its tucked away in the back ...
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    I think that jetpack42 had a good idea for posting threads. Maybe labeling them 'painters,' 'illustrators,' 'comic book artists,' ect... and then talk about whoever you want. I think that there might be enough people here to get some discussions going.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    I didn't know either.. hmm browsing now..

Thanks
    I browse the art history forum every week. I think art history is important.

Until now, i never posted in it, but I will change this soon.