Thanks

Commentary on England

First off, just want to say that I am not a racist and have not said a racial slur in my life. As a matter of fact, I donate time at the local YWCA for seminars to educate people on other cultures and to encourage diversity. That said, the following link is from my primary news source, the BBC online, regarding a rise in hate crimes in the UK. I am not sure what the big surprise is, after a recent attack by Muslim extremists people in general get agitated and start lashing out, to me this is a natural human reaction to your way of life being threatened. I consider radical religious bombers as those who are committing the hate crimes, not people who scrawl grafitti or make racial comments, who are reacting. Two wrongs do not make a right, but people will respond to interruptions in their relatively peaceful existence. As open minded as I am, I cannot find fault with people who have had enough and want to send a message back to people, sadly these events events also encourage radical racists who will have fuel to push their own agendas. I am curious what other people feel about this, especially those who reside in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4740015.stm
    ----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Racism has existed and will always exist in the UK.

Have you also read the story that british Police officers have been given guidelines to remove their shoes and not use sniffer dogs when raiding Muslim's homes where possible? That really is a joke.

I read something written by an Australian guy recently which pretty much came across as saying abide by the laws set out in the country your residing in, in his case Australia. Learn the language, live as the people do in that particular country (at least when your in public) and if you dotn like it then F*CK off.

I realise it isnt as black and white as that, but the principle in my view is sound.

Here's another bit about racism. If you head down near where I live in a place called Woolwich there are gangs of Somalian kids that go round and attack all otehrs but no Somalian kids, they also fight with the local Chinese gangs. Why isnt that reported as racism.

The people doing this have always attacked Jewish and Muslim places/people, and vice-versa. Your just hearing about it now and yes it is happening a bit more, simple as that.

I'm not racist and have friends from many different backgrounds, many agree with this. They infact are as fed up as the immigration system as everybody else, most of these have spent most/all of their life in the UK.
    Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bat
    First off, just want to say that I am not a racist and have not said a racial slur in my life.
    "I'm not racist but...".

that said, the following link is from my primary newssource, the BBC online, regarding a rise in hate crimes in the UK. I am not sure what the big surprise is, after a recent attack by Muslim extremists people in general get agitated and start lashing out, to me this is a natural human reaction to your way of life being threatened.
    If by "natural" you mean "stupid" then yes. Creating divisions between ethnic/racial/religious groups was almost certainly one of the motives behind the bomb attacks.

I consider radical religious bombers as those who are committing the hate crimes, not people who scrawl grafitti or make racial comments, who are reacting.
    Both are evil in their own special little ways, I'm not particularly happy breathing the same air as either mob.

As open minded as I am, I cannot find fault with people who have had enough and want to send a message back to people
    Nor can I, unfortunately they are not sending it to the people responsible, they're just randomly messing with anyone who happens to be the wrong colour usually.
    Last edited by SteveO; August 3rd, 2005 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    I want to say this is a surprise... but it isn't.

Over here in the US, we have a lot of tension between muslims and.. everyone else. The average man wants to take revenge for the damage done, but the only person he can reach is someone who most resembles the villian...not the most logical association, but with more and more muslim extremists being brought up in our civilized society, then being tainted by extremists and lead to slaughter the innocent.. what can people do aside from becoming prejudice?

I remember seeing on the BBC a while back a street interview with two muslim school girls who said they think the west and all who aid them deserve brutal death, and they cheer on all martyrs for their faith! I was shocked, as these two girls lived in LONDON...born and raised.

Of course over here in the US most muslims I know look at their faith completely different and don't interpret Mohammed's teachings as the extremists do (basically; its 'ok' to kill innocents as long as its in the name of god) and they strongly oppose the people who would hurt the peace loving society in the US. (regardless what our government does, the average US citizen is very peaceful and does not desire any form of conflict.)

War in general has just changed... there used to be such things as "honor" and people would never harm innocents (although, throughout history many groups had no problem burning and pillaging. But i am referring to a time when a culture is more 'civilized' and less barbaric) and these extremists believe that the average person's life is worthless because they do no share the beliefs of the extremists.

Blah.. it's so complex.. and so stupid at the same time. What ever happened to 'Live and let live' ?

So no.. no surprise here.. humans are idiots.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO
    "I'm not racist but...".
    I made that disclaimer to point out that I wasn't trying to make a racist comment by posting the link. I agree with Lord Blue when he says that humans are idiots. I am curious to people's reactions to each other. Having traveled abroad I have seen acts of hatred ranging from slinging words to swinging machetes. I think that everyone could benefit from an episode of Bill Nye (saw it recently one afternoon while escaping the heat) where he points out that racism is quite pointless, we are all related and distinct relations between all races can be scientifically shown.

So, no, I am not a racist. I have friends from all over. I am also not politically correct because I feel that being "PC" if anything, promotes stereotypes and pigeonholing of people. If you don't believe me, ask my black friend from Africa how he feels about being called African-American all the time. He likes it here, but....
    ----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Was that last part about a black friend from Africa meant to be funny? Its funny, if its not true. If its true, its great, but not as funny.

I think SteveO's point was, when people go out of their way to tell you how racist they AREN'T, then beat you over the head with examples and friends you can ask, it just looks a little...suspicious? I dunno.

Anyway, we get the point already, you're not racist.

Thanks
    We've had such 'incidents' here in the Netherlands as well. Especially right after a Dutch film-director, who critisized the treatment of women by some muslims in a film, got shot and stabbed in the middle of the street at daylight by a muslim extremist.
    I agree that such incidents can completely seperate such a group from the rest of society, and they (especially the youth) can turn against society, forming a sort of sub-society and having little or no contact with other ethnicities. It's a vicious circle.
    That doesn't mean I don't understand the attacks on muslims although I do not justify them of course. I can get very pissed off when I see some supid dipshit on TV, saying stuff like those two girls on the BBC said. They don't have a clue what the fuck they're saying!! And it's interesting to see that such people are mostly young adolescents or teenagers. I think that (at least here in the Netherlands) that a lot of kids with a muslim background don't really feel at ease here and so they fall back to their muslim background and identifying themselves with other muslims. This can turn to turning their backs on society and then to extremism if there are extremist people around who have a lot of influence (like imams).
    -I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d