Thanks

Painter/ PS7 brightness & contrast problem

Hi, ok I just started using painter and am curious if anyone else has this problem. When I open PS files in painter 6 the image is about 2/3 shades darker than the same image when open in PS. The colors also look more saturated and have more contrast in painter. I'm not complaining, I like how it looks in painter, but I would like to edit things in PS and it looks like a different image ( lighter, less saturated, less contrast) in PS. It's hard to tell which program is showing the true color.

Does this happen to anyone else out there? Is there a way to adjust the two programs to get a image balance?

Any help is appreciated.

Eric.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Eric,

In Photoshop 7, in the edit menu>color setting>'working spaces' section, try setting the RGB to 'monitor RGB'. If you have your image open in Painter and Photoshop at the same time, you can visually compare the changes as different RGB colour spaces are selected in Photoshop. If I remember correctly, there was also a colour shift problem between the two applications in at least one of the Photoshop RGB colour spaces.

In Painter 6.1, Canvas menu>output preview>Kodak colour correction, I have the monitor profile set to 'Generic P22 1.8 gamma monitor', but I'm not sure if this makes any difference.

David

Thanks
    Oh David you are my new best friend!

Thank you so much. Changing the photoshop setting worked perfectly. Just when I had given up hope that I would ever solve the problem. I figured I'd just finish my work in PS7.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post my work when the job is complete.

Eric.

Thanks
    I'm pleased it worked for you Eric

I look forward to seeing your finished work too. You will also discover that the colours you see on you monitor may look quite different on someone elses due to different monitor gamma and calibration settings. Even ambient lighting conditions and the colour cast by reflections from the artists clothing can have a direct affect on how the image colours appear on the monitor. Cross platform (Mac and PC) differences are also encountered Click here, but at least getting the colours to appear the same in both Painter and Photoshop on *your* monitor is a good start.

David

Thanks
    It's great to have these answers archived - -I was just having a similar problem with my newly installed Painter 9.5 and PShop CS2. Weirdly, I didn'y have this problem with earlier versions swapping back and forth, but I did just get a new monitor, too, so. . .

Thanks,

~Richard