Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Warrior !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD
    but viking are pale!!! they dont get much sun... none of us do up here, uo north...
    Thou Vikings are known for travling the "globe" and did surly get a nice tan or two on there adventures.. :/

oh great piece btw!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I think the foreshortening on the left arm is a little odd. I don't think there's enough indication of where his elbow would be - the angle of his hand makes it look like he'd have a little, vestigial limb on that side.

I like how you've made it possible to see the eyes now - already much improved; however, his left eye is definitely too high. The helmet to me, looks warped - like the point is shifted too far to the front to actually fit his skull. The left horn on it too, needs to be drawn a little more carefully because it doesn't curve away from us in space and so it's reading frontally, flattening the helmet out.

The way the handle of the axe is painted, it would be passing through his sternum - follow the line of it and you'll see it needs to be moved up. Alternately, you could make the angle of the handle at a more extreme angle, pitched more to the sky to make that positioning work.

His head seems to be sitting really far back on his upper torso - not impossibly so, if he's in a stance where he's purposely pulling his chin in really far to his chest, but the neck should progress from the center line of his torso and here it's not doing that.

As an overall thing, I think your colors could really use some "oomph" - by adding colors into the lights and shadows, turning the temperature variances up a notch or two you would increase the drama of the piece.

I mean to be helpful with all this - you're good at rendering details - it's just some adjustments to the positions of things that need addressing to make it work as a whole.

Thanks
    Hmm i got one little nitpick crit atm and that is the light popping in the eyes that would not do cus shadows dont pop.

and the rest is great.
    Lazor

Thanks

Hiya

Thanks for the detailed analysis BMunchausen! You have an excellent eye.

I knew there were problems with the things that you mentioned, and I already saw the problem with the helmet....but the rest I only noticed when you pointed it out.

Well it's a work in progress so its not to late to change any of these things and make them better, which I will do

Thanks for the encouragement I'll get to work!

Steve H

Thanks

New left hand

Hiya,

I didn't think his left hand was very well painted, so I decided to repainted it and change the angle a little bit, and I think it looks a lot better now, hopefully much more like he's really holding something that has some weight to it!

Steve H

Fantasy Warrior !
    Last edited by steve-h; August 3rd, 2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo...

Thanks
    ooo ooo ooo! I know.... put burning houses in the backround.....!
    story: "pirats" attack village and kill all, then the warrior come and slayes them... but hes too late.. he walks away... thinking of nothing but revenge.. hehe

its an idea..... (sry my poor spelling)

Hive_minD

Thanks

Icon His Axe

Hi all,

I've been looking at this axe a bit too long, any feedback would be great, how is the perspective to your eyes?

Thanks

Steve H

Fantasy Warrior !

Thanks
    Sweet piece dude! The hand holding the axe is very well done - and a lot of other stuff btw His eyes looks a bit sad, maybe even scared now. I might like the version with no eyes and the dark shadow most. Makes him look more dangerous. Cool stuff - keep it up!

Thanks
    I'm delighted to see that you are continuing to rethink the piece, I'm curious what program you paint with?

Thanks
    Hi Kodi,

Always rethinking it...!

And this is 100% Painter 9, which I think is great for doing this kind of a Painting. I am using the Artists oils and Charcoal.

Thanks for your feedback guys, and I might end up with those eyes back in shadow yet fellah, we'll see.

Steve H

Thanks
    SweeT! Nice work on the detailing of the armor and axe, also on those hands. Real fleshy. Hmmm, personally I prefer the version without the eyes. Something seems a little off with his eyes now. I think the problem may be in the actual placement of the right eye (my right, the darker lit one). It seems to follow a straight line with the other eye, which shouldn't be because its supposed to be resting on a cylindrical surface. It also seems to be too bright, at least the white of the eye are, to be under the shadow of his helmet.

ALso maybe you can some finer shadow across his beard where the axe would naturally block the light. Right now the beard seems to be the brightest part of the picture.

Good stuff. Looking forward to the finished version.

Thanks

update

Hi all,

Almost done with this, changed a lot really. Completely repainted certain parts, but I still need to work on the lower half of the image, the legs and the ground. Apart from that it's almost done. Any suggestions or feedback would be helpfull

Thanks

Steve H

Fantasy Warrior !

Thanks
    Very nice. The sence of winter snow i think worked really nice..Great work!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast