Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Florence, Italy

Thanks

Florence, Italy

I think some of you live - and maybe study - in Florence?
    My school starts in January 2006 (Angel Academy of Art), it would be really really cool to meet you, hang out, draw and chat a bit!

Please post here, if you're in Florence! (Even if you are just there for a few days )

Last edited by dorian; August 1st, 2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey hey, i'm hoping to go to cecil studios in a year (some time in 2006, at the start of the academic year). i'm just putting together some slides for my application at the moment.

Thanks
    hey! I was at cecil studios for a day, looked nice! (I think it's famous for having lots of hot chicks )

give me a shout when you get there, if you'd like to meet!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dorian
    hey! I was at cecil studios for a day, looked nice! (I think it's famous for having lots of hot chicks )

give me a shout when you get there, if you'd like to meet!
    seriously? damn!

On a serious note. Do you know the differences between the 3 ateliers? (MJAS, FAA, Cecil)

Thanks
    i visited them (albeit briefly) around 10 months ago. From what i could tell there's a scale on how strict/laid back they are.
    The first thing the woman at angel academy said to me was "we are strict." which kinda worried me, but the quality of work produced their is extremely impressive. For me the atmosphere was too strict (personal thing) but i have heard loads of really great stuff from students there. There is also one thing there that (as far as i can tell) the others don't touch on...that is the business of art. There is instruction in how to be an artist who's also a business person. It has a four year syllabus.

Next i went to the florence academy. Very nice studios with smaller rooms shared between two students to do much individual work such as bargue drawings. The life room is the main room. Great collection of casts to draw. The syllabus is similar to that of angel academy...bargue drawings, cast drawings, life drawings, cast painting, still life painting, figure painting and portrait painting (roughly in that order, though it's not a straight linear thing. You do figure drawing throughout for instance. Painting begins on the second year.) Three/four year syllabus, though you can go for only 1 year or whatever.

Cecil is in an old converted church, but has been a studio for a very long time. This place has quite a relaxed atmosphere (some say the most relaxed of the three, though some have said florence academy is more relaxed), but this does not mean a low quality of work. I'm not sure that bargue drawings are included in the curriculum here (though i might be mistaken). If you wish, you can go for a term, a year, two years whatever. Charles Cecil and Daniel Graves of the florence academy used to run a school together.

I hope that helps a bit. I don't think there is a 'best' school to go to, you have to find the one that suits you and your aims best. Nothing can really replace a visit to see what they're like. Don't take my word for it, these were just my impressions from my brief visits and a few discussions with various people. visit yourself and decide what your impression is. Adrian Gottlieb has some words to say on this here

ciao

Thanks
    nice summary fishw! I completely agree.
    I visited these three schools in february, and I just felt most comfortable at angel academy. the "fame" for being strict also suits me, I guess. plus most of their work just IS more refined / perfected than work from the other two schools. too refined for some, there's usually a number of students quitting schools, or switching from FAA to angel or cecil and vice-versa.

if you can, go there and check the schools out in "real life". I guess you should check the websites first, though

http://www.cecilstudios.org/
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    http://www.angelartschool.com/

they're all ARC approved ateliers I think.
    if that means anything..

Thanks
    If I have one dream it's to chuck it all and move to Florence and spend my time drawing and painting. Live it up people! I was there visiting back in 1998 and just fell in love with the place, as I'm sure most artists do. Damn.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishw
    i visited them (albeit briefly) around 10 months ago. From what i could tell there's a scale on how strict/laid back they are.
    The first thing the woman at angel academy said to me was "we are strict." which kinda worried me, but the quality of work produced their is extremely impressive. For me the atmosphere was too strict (personal thing) but i have heard loads of really great stuff from students there. There is also one thing there that (as far as i can tell) the others don't touch on...that is the business of art. There is instruction in how to be an artist who's also a business person. It has a four year syllabus.

Next i went to the florence academy. Very nice studios with smaller rooms shared between two students to do much individual work such as bargue drawings. The life room is the main room. Great collection of casts to draw. The syllabus is similar to that of angel academy...bargue drawings, cast drawings, life drawings, cast painting, still life painting, figure painting and portrait painting (roughly in that order, though it's not a straight linear thing. You do figure drawing throughout for instance. Painting begins on the second year.) Three/four year syllabus, though you can go for only 1 year or whatever.

Cecil is in an old converted church, but has been a studio for a very long time. This place has quite a relaxed atmosphere (some say the most relaxed of the three, though some have said florence academy is more relaxed), but this does not mean a low quality of work. I'm not sure that bargue drawings are included in the curriculum here (though i might be mistaken). If you wish, you can go for a term, a year, two years whatever. Charles Cecil and Daniel Graves of the florence academy used to run a school together.

I hope that helps a bit. I don't think there is a 'best' school to go to, you have to find the one that suits you and your aims best. Nothing can really replace a visit to see what they're like. Don't take my word for it, these were just my impressions from my brief visits and a few discussions with various people. visit yourself and decide what your impression is. Adrian Gottlieb has some words to say on this here

ciao

Yeah, I agree that both MJAS and ARA( In Canada) always have highly refined drawings and paintings being done by the students. Although, I've seen figure drawings by students from both schools, and, all share the same amount of tedious rendering, but a lot of it lacks "life". I'm not sure, but this could be due to the level of the students or some slight drawing errors which I noticed.

On the other hand, the Cecil school seems to have gotten my attention. From what i've seen, it's more "painterly" and "looser"(not too loose. balanced is best to describe it) in terms of rendering.

However, it's best to personally visit all 3. The websites aren't enough to make final judgements.

Thanks from the replies!

Thanks
    hey hey. talk about digging up a dead old thread. I thought i might as well as i've just been told i've been accepted to go to Cecil studios next october (2006). woo! anybody still in florence, or going to be there?

Thanks
    going to be there in...jesus! one and a half months!!!
    drop me a line when you start!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishw
    hey hey. talk about digging up a dead old thread. I thought i might as well as i've just been told i've been accepted to go to Cecil studios next october (2006). woo! anybody still in florence, or going to be there?

I'm quite probably going to apply for the FAA next spring, and start there next fall hopefully. But first I'll have to talk to some of my friends who are currently studying there, and hear what they think of the place.

Thanks
    Im flirting more and more with the idea of attending an atellier... Florence Academy is the one I hear of most through instructors at LAAFA that have studied there....and what everyone'sdescribed here seems to correspond.
    ARC's website doesnt seem to have their academy list updated - anybody know where I can find a more complete site elsewhere - Im looking for places in Russia, France, and spain...France preferably

I just checked out the student gallery section of the angel academy - amazing stuff...
    I wonder if anyone's done the drawing program in one atellier and then switched over to the painting program of another? I'm sure if the student's portfolio is up to the standards, they would accept you straight into the the painting program...

Last edited by Rascar Capac; November 26th, 2005 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac
    I wonder if anyone's done the drawing program in one atellier and then switched over to the painting program of another? I'm sure if the student's portfolio is up to the standards, they would accept you straight into the the painting program...
    yep, certainly people have done that. i met someone who switched over to go to the florence academy, when i visited it. And yes, they would let you go straight to the painting part of the course if they see your work as up to scratch.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2