Florence, Italy

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Florence, Italy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Florence, Italy

I think some of you live - and maybe study - in Florence?
    My school starts in January 2006 (Angel Academy of Art), it would be really really cool to meet you, hang out, draw and chat a bit!

Please post here, if you're in Florence! (Even if you are just there for a few days )

Last edited by dorian; August 1st, 2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey, i'm hoping to go to cecil studios in a year (some time in 2006, at the start of the academic year). i'm just putting together some slides for my application at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! I was at cecil studios for a day, looked nice! (I think it's famous for having lots of hot chicks )

give me a shout when you get there, if you'd like to meet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dorian
    hey! I was at cecil studios for a day, looked nice! (I think it's famous for having lots of hot chicks )

give me a shout when you get there, if you'd like to meet!
    seriously? damn!

On a serious note. Do you know the differences between the 3 ateliers? (MJAS, FAA, Cecil)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i visited them (albeit briefly) around 10 months ago. From what i could tell there's a scale on how strict/laid back they are.
    The first thing the woman at angel academy said to me was "we are strict." which kinda worried me, but the quality of work produced their is extremely impressive. For me the atmosphere was too strict (personal thing) but i have heard loads of really great stuff from students there. There is also one thing there that (as far as i can tell) the others don't touch on...that is the business of art. There is instruction in how to be an artist who's also a business person. It has a four year syllabus.

Next i went to the florence academy. Very nice studios with smaller rooms shared between two students to do much individual work such as bargue drawings. The life room is the main room. Great collection of casts to draw. The syllabus is similar to that of angel academy...bargue drawings, cast drawings, life drawings, cast painting, still life painting, figure painting and portrait painting (roughly in that order, though it's not a straight linear thing. You do figure drawing throughout for instance. Painting begins on the second year.) Three/four year syllabus, though you can go for only 1 year or whatever.

Cecil is in an old converted church, but has been a studio for a very long time. This place has quite a relaxed atmosphere (some say the most relaxed of the three, though some have said florence academy is more relaxed), but this does not mean a low quality of work. I'm not sure that bargue drawings are included in the curriculum here (though i might be mistaken). If you wish, you can go for a term, a year, two years whatever. Charles Cecil and Daniel Graves of the florence academy used to run a school together.

I hope that helps a bit. I don't think there is a 'best' school to go to, you have to find the one that suits you and your aims best. Nothing can really replace a visit to see what they're like. Don't take my word for it, these were just my impressions from my brief visits and a few discussions with various people. visit yourself and decide what your impression is. Adrian Gottlieb has some words to say on this here

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice summary fishw! I completely agree.
    I visited these three schools in february, and I just felt most comfortable at angel academy. the "fame" for being strict also suits me, I guess. plus most of their work just IS more refined / perfected than work from the other two schools. too refined for some, there's usually a number of students quitting schools, or switching from FAA to angel or cecil and vice-versa.

if you can, go there and check the schools out in "real life". I guess you should check the websites first, though

http://www.cecilstudios.org/
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    http://www.angelartschool.com/

they're all ARC approved ateliers I think.
    if that means anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I have one dream it's to chuck it all and move to Florence and spend my time drawing and painting. Live it up people! I was there visiting back in 1998 and just fell in love with the place, as I'm sure most artists do. Damn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fishw
    i visited them (albeit briefly) around 10 months ago. From what i could tell there's a scale on how strict/laid back they are.
    The first thing the woman at angel academy said to me was "we are strict." which kinda worried me, but the quality of work produced their is extremely impressive. For me the atmosphere was too strict (personal thing) but i have heard loads of really great stuff from students there. There is also one thing there that (as far as i can tell) the others don't touch on...that is the business of art. There is instruction in how to be an artist who's also a business person. It has a four year syllabus.

Next i went to the florence academy. Very nice studios with smaller rooms shared between two students to do much individual work such as bargue drawings. The life room is the main room. Great collection of casts to draw. The syllabus is similar to that of angel academy...bargue drawings, cast drawings, life drawings, cast painting, still life painting, figure painting and portrait painting (roughly in that order, though it's not a straight linear thing. You do figure drawing throughout for instance. Painting begins on the second year.) Three/four year syllabus, though you can go for only 1 year or whatever.

Cecil is in an old converted church, but has been a studio for a very long time. This place has quite a relaxed atmosphere (some say the most relaxed of the three, though some have said florence academy is more relaxed), but this does not mean a low quality of work. I'm not sure that bargue drawings are included in the curriculum here (though i might be mistaken). If you wish, you can go for a term, a year, two years whatever. Charles Cecil and Daniel Graves of the florence academy used to run a school together.

I hope that helps a bit. I don't think there is a 'best' school to go to, you have to find the one that suits you and your aims best. Nothing can really replace a visit to see what they're like. Don't take my word for it, these were just my impressions from my brief visits and a few discussions with various people. visit yourself and decide what your impression is. Adrian Gottlieb has some words to say on this here

ciao

Yeah, I agree that both MJAS and ARA( In Canada) always have highly refined drawings and paintings being done by the students. Although, I've seen figure drawings by students from both schools, and, all share the same amount of tedious rendering, but a lot of it lacks "life". I'm not sure, but this could be due to the level of the students or some slight drawing errors which I noticed.

On the other hand, the Cecil school seems to have gotten my attention. From what i've seen, it's more "painterly" and "looser"(not too loose. balanced is best to describe it) in terms of rendering.

However, it's best to personally visit all 3. The websites aren't enough to make final judgements.

Thanks from the replies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey. talk about digging up a dead old thread. I thought i might as well as i've just been told i've been accepted to go to Cecil studios next october (2006). woo! anybody still in florence, or going to be there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    going to be there in...jesus! one and a half months!!!
    drop me a line when you start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey. talk about digging up a dead old thread. I thought i might as well as i've just been told i've been accepted to go to Cecil studios next october (2006). woo! anybody still in florence, or going to be there?

I'm quite probably going to apply for the FAA next spring, and start there next fall hopefully. But first I'll have to talk to some of my friends who are currently studying there, and hear what they think of the place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im flirting more and more with the idea of attending an atellier... Florence Academy is the one I hear of most through instructors at LAAFA that have studied there....and what everyone'sdescribed here seems to correspond.
    ARC's website doesnt seem to have their academy list updated - anybody know where I can find a more complete site elsewhere - Im looking for places in Russia, France, and spain...France preferably

I just checked out the student gallery section of the angel academy - amazing stuff...
    I wonder if anyone's done the drawing program in one atellier and then switched over to the painting program of another? I'm sure if the student's portfolio is up to the standards, they would accept you straight into the the painting program...

Last edited by Rascar Capac; November 26th, 2005 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac
    I wonder if anyone's done the drawing program in one atellier and then switched over to the painting program of another? I'm sure if the student's portfolio is up to the standards, they would accept you straight into the the painting program...
    yep, certainly people have done that. i met someone who switched over to go to the florence academy, when i visited it. And yes, they would let you go straight to the painting part of the course if they see your work as up to scratch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there people.
    Dorian, nice to see that you've started this thread. I was thinking about attending Angel Academy of Art, but sadly enough I can't get any finacial support for that school.
    So I'll try to get in to Florence Art Academy. So hopefuly I'll arrive to Florence someday
    I've heard some thing about Florence being next after Montreal for a CA workshop. I hope I'm living there when that happens.

Trying to get my admissions together until 1st May.
    Does any one know what they want to see? I know they are looking for talent, but how do I show that?
    Dorian, what kinda images did you show them at Angels?

Hugs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whut!? workshop in florence?! would be aaawesome, heh

about what to show:
    when you apply for angel you have to send 5 slides or photographs of your work.
    I didn't have to do that though because I brought a folder with all my drawings, when I visited all the schools.
    I don't know about florence academy, but at angel it's quite easy to get in. just apply early enough, and... get the cash ready...
    I think the level of your work doesn't matter that much. everybody starts at the same point anyway, professional painter or beginner, they all do the bargues first, then charcoal, then painting.
    I think when someone switches, it's a different thing because you probably have done some bargues etc.

since both schools are going for realism I'd show them drawings from life rather than abstract stuff. I guess they like anatomy studies, too. in general just your best stuff. (aha! )
    hope that helps! good luck!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the quick answer, damn you're fast. You should be drawing
    I must say, that' a sneaky way to do it Wish I could visit them and do the same.
    I was looking forward going to Angels. But no money no school.

Yeah, I guess life drawings are the best. By the way, did you show them any colored stuff when applying?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm I don't paint too much, so it was probably mostly drawing. there might have been one or two open canvas paintings and some of the graphic design stuff I do. (mainly concert posters)
    don't worry too much about the portfolio. just apply early. don't know about florence academy, though. I think there are more popular, maybe because they start to paint earlier and are not as picky as angel is. (they really are, and I like it very much. I guess it's not for everybody, though.)
    when in doubt just mail the school administrators and ask what they would like to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been ahving some contact with angel, liked their attitude, really wish I could get the finacial support to go there.
    Florence Art Academy was suggested by Karl Dobesky at the ca workshop in Prauge. I guees it's all up to what you do with it.
    I guess you visited Florence Art Academy to? What impression did you get of the school and the student?
    Just have to get everything togheter earlier than thought.
    I really got to thanks you for the advices.

Hugs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, are y'all still in Florence? Can you post more about your experiences so far? I am interested in accomodation, eating, any art extracurricular activities? I am going for a drawing program soon. Dorian, the academy is improving your skills in an awesome way.

Last edited by Egoartist; June 16th, 2006 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pencilator, the advice i was given when chatting at florence academy was to send realist work done from life. life drawings are ideal. they don't expect incredible works, just to see potential in a student that they reckon they can teach and benefit. the advice i would give is to visit the schools if at all possible, as you get so much more of an idea from visiting and talking to students there and seeing the environment etc.

queensoul, though i'm not there yet, check out www.studentsville.it as it'll probably have some useful info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pencilator: fishw wrote something about florence academy above:

I personally felt rather uncomfortable when I visited florence academy. but that's a very subjective impression. it's a very popular school, in general a bit looser than angel, I think they start painting earlier and they do a lot more portrait stuff from what I've heard. at angel there's only a student-organised evening portait drawing, where the students alternate in posing for each other. you have to have finished all four bargues though, to be allowed to join.
    from what I've heard, I guess the personality of every student is payd more attention to at florence academy. at angel it's strictly teaching the techniques and I guess you have to always be aware that what you do there is nothing but technical exercises to strenghten your eye, mind and hand. the bargues for example are not really a piece of art, but rather a splendid exercise to improve your skills. what you do afterwards (or maybe better: besides) is up to you.
    hmm.. I hope you can get what I mean!

queensoul:
    yeah, studentsville is good. I personally love florence. the place has history. lots of old and important buildings, art everywhere, amazing museums, people are generally friendly. food AWESOME
    downsides: LOTS of tourists, esp. in summer, really hot in summer, heaters not always working in winter or switched off due to power-saving-madness..

hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your answers Dorian and fishw. I'll look into the site you provided.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to Florence tomorrow, bringing with me my application for the FAA. Gonna be there for a week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, tell me if you wanna meet up!
    I'll be at piazza della repubblica today (sunday) with 2-3 guys from angel, 15:00. watch out for sketching dudes ;]
    can pm you my cellphone number if you like

if you want to check out angel, too, I can get you in since I got a key

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, sure! PM me your number. I wont arrive in Florence until tomorrow actually, since I'll have to spend the night waiting at the norwegian main international airport.
    I've been thinking about checking out Angel as well. The only problem is that I don't think the norwegian state provides any scholarships or student loans to people going there. But I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the offer anyways!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have fun Gnosis, and goodluck. They sound really nice on the phone. Like they actually care. I hope you get in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Queensoul!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gnosis any update? Where you able to get in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, the florence season begins soon. who's going to be there? i'm flying out at the end of september, let me know if you're going to be around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    getting back there on september 18th!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6