Thanks

revolutionary new weapon

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That is hot.

Kinda funny, I had a similar idea for this gun concept I draw a while ago. A centrifugal acceleration of a pellet, which was then turned to plasma through intense heat and ejected. Damn, too late to cash in on that one I guess.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    this gun is.. insane..
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Spherical objects travel better through air than tapered conventional ammo

I'm excited....but at the same time I think it'll be a while before they can scale it down for infantrymen.

Don't forget, it doesn't overheat either!
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    From the pic shows further down the page it might looks like the soldier was shooting people with the USS enterprise.

Thanks
    Here's the kicker: because it's electrically powered and doesn't use any powdered propellant for it's operation, the DREAD Centrifuge Weapon is virtually silent (no sound signature), except for the supersonic "crack" of the metal balls breaking the sound barrier when they're launched. This makes the direction that the rounds are coming from, and their point of origin (firing source), very difficult for enemy forces to identify.
    This is incorrect. it is the high frequency sounds that allow the listener to identify the direction or the origin. Low frequency sounds are more omni-directional than high frequency sounds.

All silencers are designed to muffle and cancel out high frequency sounds for exactly that reason.

Other than that. there better be some really good control over the field of fire to avoid friendly fire, given its "360 degree" field of fire capability.

recoil issue is also an exaggeration. There will be good deal of torque generated from spinning that much mass at such high speed.

Its interesting; and new technology might just make it work. but that article is blowing things out of proportion a bit.

Thanks
    However interesting I find technology and weapons, it always makes me feel bad when I see that most technological inventions seem to be made for the purpose of warfare.
    -I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermainevl
    However interesting I find technology and weapons, it always makes me feel bad when I see that most technological inventions seem to be made for the purpose of warfare.
    Gross, gross, gross, that generlization is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hito
    This is incorrect. it is the high frequency sounds that allow the listener to identify the direction or the origin. Low frequency sounds are more omni-directional than high frequency sounds.

Other than that. there better be some really good control over the field of fire to avoid friendly fire, given its "360 degree" field of fire capability.
    Have you ever heard a sonic crack? Hell if I could figure out where it came from.

As for field of fire, it looks just point and shoot like any gun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Undefeated
    Gross, gross, gross, that generlization is.
    *Sigh* Yes of course not all inventions are.
    So let me refrase: It makes me feel bad when ANY technological invention is used for the purpose of warfare. Better?
    -I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

Thanks
    From what I understand of the concept, it would have one exit position for the projectiles, and the whole circular array could easily rotate to hit 360 degrees. Could be wrong though.

recoil issue is also an exaggeration. There will be good deal of torque generated from spinning that much mass at such high speed.
    I dunno, I believe them on this one. Since the whole inside is spinning, most likely with a large number of projectiles in motion, it would simply be like a gyroscope. If you take a bike by the handle, pull the front wheel off the ground and spin it, it doesn't actually exert any forces upon the rest of the bike after it is put into motion. Since the projectile leaving the gun would simply be a byproduct of the internal motion of the weapon, I would imagine that it would not exert any great forces either, but only a tiny bit.

Then again, I could be wrong about this too.

Thanks
    can't help but I just don't like weapons. I guess they will never cease to fascinate lots of human beings, though..

oh and.. jeez this video is ugly, as is the sound

Thanks
    lol. that thing looks just like a survalence camera. Coincidence? i think not.

Thanks
    Well, technology is great and a lot of useful technology has been developed during and for wartime. The good thing about this is it can also use non-lethal or less-lethal projectiles. The part I don't like about stuff like this is this sounds great to the military making it. They think it will give them an advantage, and it probably will, until the enemy gets their hands on it. The nuclear bomb was a way to keep peace and we felt confident that we had the only ones, that is, until the Russians got one. Now terrorist might get one of these. Modern warfare, at least at the moment, isn't countries fighting countries, its countries fighting terrorists and guerilla forces. Even countries that we might go to war with aren’t really making new weapons, just finding ways to produce reproductions of weapons developed by other countries (North Korea with nukes). We develop a weapon, only for it to be stolen and used by our enemies. We don't need time and money developing new weapons; we need to spend time and money developing new tactics and better armor for our troops. Even if you have a gun that's less detectible, or shoots faster, or is more powerful, it's not gonna do you a world of good against a random sniper shot, or a roadside bomb. Also, this thing uses electricity to power it and probably computers, etc. I wouldn't trust my life my crappy PC that shuts down all the time, why would I trust this thing? Also, say it gets zapped by an EMP pulse. Not only would your vehicle not work, this thing would be fried to. You’d be up shit creek without a paddle. I doubt these things will ever replace the advantage of a gunpowder powered weapon.
    Last edited by bracomadar; August 1st, 2005 at 09:45 PM.
    -Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    this thing will never be used, at least with infantry. one, it is bulky. it's a big disc with two grips. do you expect infatry to run around shooting something like that? two, i'm pretty sure pointed rounds are superior to ball rounds. three, its going to be more costly to produce than a normal gun.

i'm pretty sure normal guns will be around for a very long time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dindon
    I'll agreee with you on that one. It would be mighty expensive to distribute. Weapon technology just gets weirder and weirder. This gun seems like it belongs in the next century, but its here. Although, THE BOMB seemed out of place during WWII if you think about it. Suddenly we have a weapon that can cause so much devistation so quickly. However, humans don't need any fancy new gun or an insanely powerful bomb to spread pain and suffering (not trying to be pessimistic, death isn't pleasent though). These guns, not as powerful as THE BOMB, but still. Pretty firggin' crazy. So many capabilities...

Thanks
    Cool weapon but what a lame ass video! lol It somehow reminded me of those small scenes in Robocop or other sci fi films where you see advertisements of new weapons being made.

Thanks
    this thing will never be used, at least with infantry. one, it is bulky. it's a big disc with two grips. do you expect infatry to run around shooting something like that? two, i'm pretty sure pointed rounds are superior to ball rounds. three, its going to be more costly to produce than a normal gun.

the balls (shaped like a golf ball) fly faster, farther, and more accuratley. and at 8000 feet per second (over a mila and a half per second) its going thro anything it thouches.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Dude. There gonna attach this thing to the tops of humvees. This shit aint for infantry. Its simply not worth the cost per weapon, especially when the high rate of fire is useless. They'd just run out of ammo in a second.

Thanks

Like I said in my post, it will be a while before they scale it down for the infantrymen.

Also like I said in my post, and once again mentioned by Intern. The sphere is the most aerodynamic shape and it will travel better than a tapered round because there is no drag. Air flows around the sphere in all directions at pretty much the same rate and it eliminates wobble at longer distances....there's a reason why normal tapered rounds need to spin to stabilize it in flight.

But yes, unless they can reduce the size of this technology, firearms will be around for a long time.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    This system will also be used in a man-portable 25mm lightweight weapon system that LPS will also be developing.
    From the bottom of http://www.military.com/soldiertech/...DREAD,,00.html

That answers that, I guess.

Thanks
    i dont personaly think we will ever see this weapon in use because of the huge amount of power these guns need. There was en expariment with a gun of the same type but it shot a metal rail. And they needed a seperate set of humongus power generators that filled a big ass building to power the thing for one shot. And unless they are planning on haveing a mini nuclear power plant for each one this is just a pipe dream.

Thanks
    That is incorrect. First, they have stated that it is vehicle mounted, which means that they must have found a way to power it.

Second, the weapon you are talking about is a railgun, which is a whole different matter. A railgun uses EM forces to accelerate a projectile down a rail, and fire it at insanely high speeds. However, the EM forces need to be generated with electricity, and that leads to the extremely large power supply necessary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    That is incorrect. First, they have stated that it is vehicle mounted, which means that they must have found a way to power it.

Second, the weapon you are talking about is a railgun, which is a whole different matter. A railgun uses EM forces to accelerate a projectile down a rail, and fire it at insanely high speeds. However, the EM forces need to be generated with electricity, and that leads to the extremely large power supply necessary.
    so whats this one powered with? All im saying is dont hold your breath for this.

Thanks
    It's electrically powered, but it is a completely different beast. This uses a spinning motion to accelerate the projectiles. This is really easy to do, though perhaps not at those high speeds. Also, once the internal mechanism of the machine is spinning it would keep itself spinning, reducing the need to constantly power it from 0 to 8000 feet per second. Either way, the electricity would be the same as for a car (maybe), considering that cars also have wheels that spin at high speeds. I would guess that it probably has it's own power-supply though.

The railgun on the other hand, does not use centripetal force, but accelerates a projectiles from a dead stop instead. The projectile is also substantially larger than a little pellet from what I've seen. It basically has to strongly magnetize a whole length of the barrel; strongly enough to hurl the projectile out at supersonics or hypersonic speeds. This requires a very large amount of power, and it is why the railgun is currently not a feasible military weapon (along with a few other reasons).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Great, more ways to kill your fellow man. (And of course teh terr0ristz0rs..)

Imagine if all the man-hours and money spent in weapon research spent in medical research.

(and before the flaming starts, i do know that war speeds up the inventions of diferent kinds of technology. but why does it have to be this way?)