Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

IGN Editors pick the top 100 games.

http://top100.ign.com/2005/index.html

First off, the majority of these editors must be noobs. How do you make a top 100 list, and not include at least ONE of THREE incredible MegaMan games: 2 (NES), 3 (NES), X (SNES). It blows my mind, not even a mention.

No Earthbound. No Final Fantasy (NES). No Crazy Taxi. No Tekken Tag. WCW vs NWO?

BUT, they did put some astoundingly mediocre games into the list!
    -Wave Race 64 (wtf?)
    -Virtua Fighter (WTF?)
    -Dragon Warrior
    -Starsiege Tribes
    -Super Smash Bros Melee (GC) (wtf? 64 one was MUCH BETTER)
    -Burnout 3?

Also, SMB is a weak choice for number 1. SMB 3 or SMW are much better, and so are almost any of the other games on the list. I know, its the grandfather...but at some point that's gotta stop counting for everything...

Ocarina of Time over Link to the Past? What?

On the positive side, it was great to see Gunstar Heroes, River City Ransom, F-Zero, and Sim City 2000 in there; games which could normally be overlooked but definitely deserve to be there.

I've played 39 out of the 100, and this list is ok, but there are some pretty obvious games left out (see above), and some pretty bizzare scoring errors. Some games seemed clearly better games, just as a whole, and they ranked lower.

I'm still pissed about no Megaman. I challenge any of the editors of IGN to a fistfight.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow, I pretty much played half of the games on the list. And those I didn't play was either because I don't have the console for it, or I was too young to experience it.

I think the list was reasonable. No complaints about it.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Burnout 3 deserves to be there, stunning game.

Thanks
    Wait... FFVII only at 88?! These people are insane!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    BUT, they did put some astoundingly mediocre games into the list!

-Starsiege Tribes
    Tribes rocks omg.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    DragonWarrior was pretty charmy.

Tribes 1 is really good, definately a top game!

I heard they left out Metroid and Zelda (NES)

MegaMan 1 and 2 are my favs. MM3 is pretty good too. Don't like the X games much (ew... the huge feet). RockMan Zero (GBA) has nice gfx and conceptart. Megaman Legends had the awesome reaverbot atmosphere and Tron Bonne of course.

SMB may seem a little bland and silly now, but when it came out it had a lot of new concepts and it was well polished. I'm not a huge fan of it, although I appreciate what it did for the platform genre.

I haven't looked at the list but I wouldn't be surprised if they left out 75% of my favourite games.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Waverace 64 was an awesome game for the time. Burnout, I never got into it, its way too arcade-like for me. I'll have to check out that list though....

Wow! Im actually pleasently supprised at the inclusion of some of the more abscure titles. WingCommanderII, Day of the Tenticale and xcom! I thought I was the onely one on earth that played xcom! I loved that freaking game...

Ahhhh, sweet memories!
    Last edited by Scubasteve; August 1st, 2005 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Ign imo has gone to complete shit. They used to be a pretty good source for things, and I still browse every now and then, but for the most part it's teh gh3y. Theres way too many recent games on the list.
    And...

Final Fantasy 6>Final Fantasy 4
    Final Fantasy 7>Final Fantasy 10

ign is run by monkeys and idiots, and the idiots are jealous of the monkeys
    christ.

-tiny
    Being stubborn towards humanity since 1982

Thanks
    This is pretty obviously one guy's opinion turned into an article.

Thanks
    Damn tiny...you ok over there?

Thanks
    Seeing as I've played 75 out of 100 on this list I have to agree that it was either one guy or a small group of people there who did this list.

Heh, and oddly enough I agree with Jetpack completly. There's always a first man.

I could say more, seeing as I'm a complete gaming geek, but I'm simply glad they didn't include Mortal Kombat. And honestly I was expecting Halo 2 to be number 1 and the Summery be:

OMG! HAXORZZ DIZ GAME BEZ TIGHTZ!!! W00T WTF HALOZ 2!!!!1111!!!

But, I was happy with Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Metriod(Where's Metriod?!), Ico, Fallout, and Contra. I can imagine all of those games being ignored.

Thanks for the read.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    Waverace 64 was an awesome game for the time.

Yeah, it was fun for the first couple hours, but best of all time? And at number 24????? ...that just makes nonsense....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    Damn tiny...you ok over there?
    Yeah, I'm cool, now that my meds have kicked in, and I've downed about a fifth of Jack Daniels. woot!
    Nah, I just don't agree with alot of their choices for 'all time' games. Alot of recent games are hardly worth that kinda praise imo.

-tiny

Thanks
    no crazy taxi! now that was just a fun game. was lumines on there? i just looked at the top ten.

Thanks
    No Myst! I mean.. COME ON! Not even Money Island or Neverhood! WTF?!

Thanks
    i agree that burnout 3 definately deserves to be on there. imo, it's one of the best racing games ever made, and one of the best games, period, of 2004.

however... all in all this list is absolute rubbish. but that's the way all of these lists are really. it's all just a matter of opinion.

Thanks
    The major problem with the list is that it's unclear what the judging criteria was. Some games are up there for fun factor, some are up there for replayability, some are up there for innovation. How do you judge games against so many different criteria?

The only Metal Gear game to make the list was Metal Gear Solid, despite MGS2, 3 and Twin Snakes all being more fun and the original Metal Gear being more innovative.

I'm just happy Goldeneye beat Halo and FF4, 6 and 10 beat FF7. Overall, the list was pretty crap, though.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyhands
    Ign imo has gone to complete shit. They used to be a pretty good source for things, and I still browse every now and then, but for the most part it's teh gh3y. Theres way too many recent games on the list.
    And...

Final Fantasy 6>Final Fantasy 4
    Final Fantasy 7>Final Fantasy 10

ign is run by monkeys and idiots, and the idiots are jealous of the monkeys
    christ.

-tiny

No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    dude. dragon warrior is not mediocre! it spawned the whole japanese rpg genre and was great fun to boot.

Thanks
    dragon warrior has nothing on the original Final Fantasy...maybe more influential? but not even close to being in the same league in terms of graphics, fun, gameplay, etc.

Thanks
    Sid Meier's Pirates at #6! Awesome! I still fantasize about that game. Why don't they make an updated version?

Thanks
    Some of those top 100 were a joke. Where the hell were the quest for glory games? In my opinion they should have been in the top 10.

Thanks
    Glad to see Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango on the list. It's an ok list, order is kinda whacked out tho. I'll take FF III (VI) over FF II and Chrono Trigger any day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverslash
    lolz! thats awesome jose.

Geztar- the dragon quest series is awesome, can't wait till DG 8 in november!

-tiny

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Undefeated
    Sid Meier's Pirates at #6! Awesome! I still fantasize about that game. Why don't they make an updated version?
    Ummmmm..... Where were you last x-mass??

Enjoy: new pirates

WaveRace 64 truely belongs on the list, I'm happy it's there ---- One of the first truely 3d racing games centered on physics and analogue-control.

Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    How do you make a top 100 list, and not include at least ONE of THREE incredible MegaMan games: 2 (NES), 3 (NES), X (SNES). It blows my mind, not even a mention.
    I have to agree.... I'm fully confused, MegaMan2 at least needs to be on the list for still having one of the best game soundtracks .... one of the best ever.

EDIT: ---- gave the list a full read-through..... straight-up, their list sucks ass. Seems like it's one editor's personal list, and he's confused on the defenitions between 'influential' and 'best'
    #1 Super Mario Bros.?!?!?! Most influential, maybe ----- but there's a ton of games on that list, just as old, that we'd be much happier to play today.

Though there are some great gems in the collection that I'm happy get some respect.
    73 - Return Fire
    96 - Herzog Zweii
    64 - Advance Wars
    54 - Panzer Dragoon Saga
    18 - ICO
    12 - X-Com
    60 - Day of the Tentacle

As much as I love RiverCity Ransom, it just doesn't belong on the list --- SuperDodgeBall should be in its place.

........ God of War #33 my ass, when will people get over that dribble?

and..... a top-100 list is for-not without a great shooter:

Last edited by Sammy; August 2nd, 2005 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Oh man, Ikaruga is insane. I love that game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    and..... a top-100 list is for-not without a great shooter:

Ikaruga was a damn cool game. Although I think Radiant Silvergun is far better imo. Granted I don't think most people have played it cause it wasn't released in the states. Amazing shooter.

-tiny

Thanks
    Yeah, I guess 24 is pretty high for waverace. I actually like fZero64 better then that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I liked both Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior 1.

I liked FF1 because you could pick your own team of custom characters. The later games didn't have this, too much character design in the way.
    FF1 also had a nice little universe with dwarfs, elfs and other stuff that just happened to be there on the world map.

DW1 had pretty poopy graphics, but it was less linear (I love unlinear) than FF I think, or it felt that way. It didn't nanny the player, so you had to be responsible about where you treaded. It was quite possible to run into a dangerous area and get your ass handed to you by a Gold Golem or whatever.

I would love to make a simple oldschool RPG where the battle mechanics are more realistic just to see what happens. If a 5 meter tall 10 ton stone golem puts its foot on you, you're extremely dead for example.

New Pirates! got pretty poor reviews?
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    good points prom. I LOVED being able to choose your own team, and see your characters fight, change weapons, etc. man...that just makes my day. I enjoyed FF1 a whole heck of a lot more then DW1, but you make some good points.

A realistic RPG with some older elements would be great...damn do I hate 99% of games today...

Also, I think Finay Fantasy Tactics should be on the list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast