Thread: steamboy

Thanks

steamboy

I just bought this movie... i used to be a huge anime fan... but it dulled really quickly. I saw akira and thought it kicked soo much ass. And wen i heard Otomo was making a new one i was pretty excited. I saw this movie... and got completely engulfed into the retro london they created. So much time they put into it. The story was pretty neat...and i loved the steam powered gizmos. All in all it was cool and i endorse it. What is everyone else's opinion?
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I loved it. I think a lot of people got caught up in the "10 year" hype and came away disappointed. I had honestly never even heard of it until I read IGN's review a couple of weeks ago, so I saw it with no expectations and loved it.

I like the ideas presented about what the proper role of science may be and how things that are created with the best intentions often become used for questionable purposes, while at the same time there is no true right or wrong presented here. When we finally see the grandfather's ideas for the technology he has helped develop it turns out to be something rather frivolous and somewhat of a waste. I like how the movie plays with both sides of the argument and leaves it up to the audience to decide what they think is right or wrong.

Aside from that, the art was just incredible. It's worthing watching for this alone. The designs of the machines and the overall look of the movie was just awe inspiring to me. And I loved the blend of the anime style with western characters.
    Last edited by CruShTinbOX; July 31st, 2005 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks
    I'd been looking forward to this movie for about a year now, ever since I saw a trailer I think in New Type. I thought it totally rocked! Like has already been said, both the art and story were really well thought out and executed. Otomo has always done a really solid job from concept to final product in my opinion. I've noticed that the moral responsibilities of scientists has always been a common theme with his work. At what point have we gone too far?

One thing that I really liked that hasn't been mentioned is the "epilogue" still images that ran with the credits. It was nice to get an idea of what happened to everybody after the events in the film. Beyond that, it's cool to see more great art. There are some things that you can show with still images that you can't with moving ones, and vise-versa. My wife and I were talking about how he seems to have become a sort of super hero in the epilogue. "Isn't he using the machines in a way that goes against what his grandfather wanted?" I think using them for good and not for profit was the point.

-king coyote

Thanks
    the one with the kid who was a chemical bomb, was a segment on an earlier release called "Memories". Basically it was a collection of three shorts by three directors, and Otomo got top billing. It was a pretty good show, but "Steam boy" was way better.
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    is this the movie where the kid is basicly a chemical bomb?

and walks aroudn killing everything

Thanks
    WoW i defintly cant wait for it now - i was planning on getting this for my birthday in September but know its been shifted back to Janurary next year for release in the UK.

Which sucks, cus it sounds pretty cool. - Especially from Davis description. LOL
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    haha well andy i dun wanna spoil the fun, but davi isnt raly close to what the movie actually is.

but yeh i realy liked the whole feelin of this movie, was one of the nicer anime's if seen lately. But there is no need to wait until its released in uk im pretty sure that ebay can serve u with a engl sub version.

Thanks
    I wish they make a sequel cuz I was bummed out by all the stuff they showed in the credits! I hated his father as well, pretty complex character.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davi

No, thats stink bomb, a short anime on the Memories DVD.

Thanks
    haha, a walking, killing stink bomb.

I thought the movie was great but I remember turning the DVD off with a few complaints. The pacing throughout the movie was slow (which isn't entirely bad!) but there were a few scenes I remember thinking, "What, did he just drop out of time? What about that thing that's going on??". Other things also seemed to happen because they needed to without any foreshadowing.

4.5/5

If you're a fan of Otomo, read his Akira Manga. Jaw-dropping artwork with a complex and compelling storyline extending far beyond that of the movie.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    I loved it.

darkcult

Thanks
    I enjoyed it, mostly for it's visuals. It's worth watching for that alone, imo. But I liked the story and characters as well. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but it was cool nonetheless. I think some people just got caught up in the hype and expected it to be the second coming of Christ or something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumfield
    I enjoyed it, mostly for it's visuals. It's worth watching for that alone, imo. But I liked the story and characters as well. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but it was cool nonetheless. I think some people just got caught up in the hype and expected it to be the second coming of Christ or something.
    lol second coming of Christ LOOL
    Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks

Fart!!!

A brillian movie. I bought it, I love it, it makes me fart a lot. I farted like 55 times this movie rules.

Thanks
    this one was lacking something but it was good overall. There was this lack of character development, eps when it came to the father and that rich girl. I hope we get to see what happens next- Im reffering to the stuff during the credits.

Thanks
    i saw this movie over the weekend and I have to say that I was very pleased... the animation and creativity were fantastic.. going to add it to my collection...
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Already in my stash and it's one I go back to for a lot of inspiration.

Thanks
    I think it was very shallow. Retro London and all the huge machines were stunning, but somehow the characters lacked spirit and I couldn't familiarize myself with them.

Somehow it reminded me of this Korean animation Beautiful Days. They both want to show "look how big budget we've had" but somehow lose the essence.

Thanks
    This movie is a hatred magnet. I think most people out there expected the most expensive anime in japanese history to be some intellectual drama based on real life facts or something. Kinda like with Advent Children, only worse.

Thanks
    i have never heard of this, even though i saw akira a really long tiem ago...
    can someone show some screens or perhaps a link to a site wiht such things?
    "i'm so metal, i shit tanks"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davi

stinkbomb yeah? I don't think he killed them though.

I liked steamboy, but alot of people found it boring. People who would say they are 'anime fans' found it really boring.

I heard it didn't do so great in Japan either. Sucks it has to be like that, 'cause steamboy seems like a movie Otomo made exactly the way he wanted it, no fat.
    characters didn't have their personality's forced onto you, so some people just missed it.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Steamboy is great! I love it very much and bought the collectors box with artbook, specila dvd and Postcards) The designs, the amazing backgrounds and the characters, just great. But for my taste you see too much the digital work. It´s not perfectly integrated, I prefere the oldschool look like Akira or Ghost in the Shell. But some weeks ago I saw Miyazakis Howls moving Castle, and I think they combined digital and 2D nearly perfect.

Excuse my bad english plz
    Last edited by GunTrouver; October 6th, 2005 at 01:21 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.