need info on Full Sail in Florida

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

need info on Full Sail in Florida

I've been looking at Full Sail Real World Education in Florida and was wondering if anyone here went there. They apparently have great programs in Computer Animation and Game Design and Development. I want to visit, but with me being in New York I have to be pretty sure I am going to go there before I can spend the cash on a plane ticket. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone interested in checking the school out can go to
    http://www.fullsail.com.

Last edited by daniela; March 26th, 2003 at 01:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also appreciate it if anyone who knows of similar schools in New York State (besides ITT Tech:bash: ) could let me know. So far my search has not turned up anything as good as Full Sail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just went to their open house, a bit easier for me since I am newly local since moving from DC area. Their facilities are absolutey impressive.... rows and rows of spanking new SGI machines, game design students get a new laptop, the building design just MAKES you want to learn, throw your heart into it and go. The price tag is a quite scary though. I have been mulling them over for several months now and it took me a good while to get myself to call. I am glad I did, it is a very "sexy" school, but I plan on trying to track down some students, not the ones THEY recommend, to speak with, and speaking with area professionals regarding their opinion of the school. Perhaps with both of us researching the place, we can make heads or tails of this pricey, but VERY alluring school. Since I am thinking of going in for comp anim, I was very curious to find out their curriculm as far as traditional art, and it is pretty well integrated into other focused classes, but very few traditional drawing courses. What have you gained from your end?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't found anything else out yet, but if I do find some more information, I will post here. Another thread in this forum has helped me out a lot. It is Animation School Database posted by 3bleadpencil. He posted some good advice on how to find and contact students and alumni, plus there are links that will help you compare schools. I suggest that you do as I am doing and post at this site and others to see what kind of feedback you get about Full Sail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i visited that school when i lived in orlando a few years back. they do put on a good show for their open house. although ive never attended this is the consensus i've gotten about full sail-- they basically only teach technology. which isn't very good considering how fast technology changes, you should look for a school that molds you into a better artist/animator, not someone that knows how to run maya. the class scheduling is really random in order to prepare you for the 'real world.' if your just coming out of highschool i wouldn't recommend it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your input. I have been out of high school for a few years, but maybe you are right. I want the whole education, not just the technology part. I think I will look into the Full Sail curriculum a little more to if it would be worth it to work outside classes in around their course schedule.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: I have done a bazillion searches on the internet for Full Sail Computer Animation Resume. After you dig through their.. actually quite impressive online marketing campaign, I got quite a number of resumes. I started randomly contacting people that have graduated from their comp animation tract and gotten several responses. I plan on speaking with them over the next couple of weeks as well as cold calling area professionals from the mouse house, EA Tiburon, etc to see what their take is ---- aside from Full Sail's very beautiful glossy brochure graduates perspective. I am looking forward to speaking with these people, and do a search yourself, if you haven't already, and look at their previous education, the dates, and the jobs they have held since - it actually lends to this program being worth the money in quite a few cases. As far as it teaching one software package, yes, currently - they are going with Maya - but if you look at the reviews of what software is being used in the industry... it is well... Maya. They not only teach the software, but the theory behind it, lending your education to be available to the most current software if you can figure out where to point and click to make it possible.

Like I said before, Full Sail is terribly expensive for an associate's degree, but if it can help me do more than be just your run of the mill graphics designer, and hone my skills to a level that I feel comfortable sending out a demo reel to Pixar or SquareSoft for an entry level position - knowing that I could handle that and more.... then I am sold. I don't expect this school to hand me a Creative Lead position with Sony Entertainment Online.. I want it to prepare me to do the crap work at a company I can learn lots more from, to eventually get those jobs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I would say about fullsail. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! it's not worth the ammount of money it costs. they make it sound very impressive but once you get there all the secrets and lies become apparent.And they become more apparent the farther in the program you go, the more of your money they have the less and less they care. for example Here's my experience . I saw someones post mention the top of the line SGI machines. yeah, well they are extremely slow and about 4 maybe 5 years old, the student to teacher ratio is a joke. they tell you it's about 30 people to a class, it's more like 100 and getting bigger. This is frustrating to both the instructors ( about 95% fullsail graduates themselves, it's job placement at work!) and students. We were learning Maya 4.5 but given books on Maya 3. then the instructor lied to the class and said it was the 3rd printing of a book on Maya which was why it said 3 on the cover. Most of the class bought the lie but clearly on the back of the book it says the book covers the changes from Maya 2 to the new Maya3. Thrown into a "temporary" room for 5 months in the back of a building. It also came to my attention that alot of that actual tuition goes to the pockets of the owners of the school and to decorate their offices. I've seen it myself, it's mind boggling. Airplane desks made of real airplane parts, all paid for by the tuition. The associates degree you get there is a joke also. If that means anything to you as far as a consideration for going there. If you got any friends that went there just borrow their degree and scan it and make the text changes in Photoshop and wala! It'll look as official as the real thing. This school is a waste of money and I wouldn't recommend anyone go there. If it was 50% less then it'd be worth it. they also don't even teach industry standards. when we got into character design we made a NURBS radial head,NURBS torso and lofting arms,rebuilding curves and then it came to my attention that a whole body can be built from polys and that's the industry standard. So why did fullsail waste 2600 of my dollars teaching me something that is now obsolete? I have no idea. but I know that's 1 reason of many why I won't recommend them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elbarto: Thanks for posting. If you are still in contact with anyone else who went to Full Sail, could you get them to post their opinion here too? I don't think that I want to go to Full Sail anymore, but I would like to get the opinions of a few more people first. If the school is that bad, I'd rather just stay in New York and put my time and money into a legitimate school.

TheMonkei: Sorry, but you are on your own now. The more I hear about Full Sail, the less I want to go there. I wish you luck if you do end up attending Full Sail.

Don't just call people. The alumni that you want to contact might be more candid in a forum like this than on the phone. Anonymity tends to loosen tongues.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, my research is going quite well. I am trying to obtain the full picture about full sail, and am taking into account all of the information I have recieved. Regardless of what school you choose to attend, researching it will let you know what you are getting into, before you get into it - and this is a very big desicion. I wish you luck as well, and would be interested to hear what you have chosen when you do decide. Thank you for your interaction and maybe one of these days we will bump into one another at work in the industry! :btu:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb cost

How much are the classes at full sail?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daniela:I will do my best to see if I can find some other people to put up a post about fullsail, but I'm sure it'll just be similar to mine. If I was you staying in NY and investing in a more legitimate school is certainly the best choice. It's amazing some of the bold faced lies you see the people taking the tour be told. Same lies they told me on the tour actually. I saw them once point in the library and say those were the best computers the school had, how that impresses anyone is beyond me. The worst is how they point into the Computer animation labs then talk about the state of the art top of the line SGI machines. But forget to say they were all that 5 years ago and today they are just slow pieces of crap. Of course if they said the truth they wouldn't be able to scam 35,000 bucks out of people. So that answers another posts question about the cost of Fullsail ( although each program is a different price, none under 30 grand though..OH and the cost for some reason goes up every year and the hardware and books are still years old). Anyways, I wish you luck at wherever you go and I'm sure it'll take you further than fullsail ever could have.
    peace out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is only my second post here but i must warn you about FULLSAIL as well. I took the tour, talked to the representatives and did the math...it doesn't add up. Take your $40,000 (which is roughly what it costs after fees, tuition, supplies, books, taxes, and interest on loans) and go get an awesome bfa at a school that teaches you traditional art, animation, illustration, or anything! This school is for those really techy guys who already know how to animate in 3d and can write C++ and java script like its a 3rd grade spelling test. Do not go there looking for one on one instruction or if you think they will hold your hand as you make mistakes and learn at your own speed. You must either learn at thier speed(which is really really fast) or you get passed by and left in the dust. This being said, if you are already familiar with programming and animation and you want to learn more...still don't go there. Get a degreee from a 4 year school or at least a 3 year program. Stay in school as long as you can. You only get one or in some peoples cases two chances to really learn how to do it and then you start getting old and no one wants to hire you if you don't have the traditional art background. Any artist can learn a software program, not very many programmers can learn to be an artist.. FullSail is flashy, extravegant, well run, and I give them credit for churning out students into the indusrty, but many of them tend to fall flat unless they are in the recording industry or want to be a stage hand. I looked into going there a few years back and guess what...the same "success story students" are still in the brochure. They are the one in a hundred. I also talked to a instructor there who seemed very bitter about the school for some reason and he told our small group that if we weren't already talented and trained in what we wanted to do, go somewhere else. Fullsail WILL prepare you for the "Real World" because it has such short project deadlines and class lengths, but most people are not ready to jump right in like that. Get a good education, for the love of pete figure this out while you are young. If you realize and take advantage of your situation you can learn so much in college. It is very fun, but don't party yourself out of college the first semester either. Work hard now, party hard when you have a great job to pay for it!

sorry to take up so much space..just had to get that off my chest

time for a beer!:chug:

Last edited by Hett15; April 8th, 2003 at 01:54 PM.
    My Little Art Blog

THE RINGLING 100

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." --Gandalf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the rant Hett15. I have definitely decided that I am not going to go to Full Sail. The material they send you is very misleading and I do not like what I have been hearing from people who have been on the tour and former students. I think that anyone considering attending Full Sail should get an education in the basics from another school first, and then go to Full Sail if you still really want to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...I'm very frustrated, I tried to learn computer animation at a community college. its okay, but I'm tearing it up and i need more advanced stuff. I've found that i can teach myself faster than the courses can. I can ace the class, but I don't think it will prepare me to kick out a solid demoreel when the day comes. maybe Fullsail is what a person like me is looking for. I hope it is hardcore, i can't wait for a 3d animation class that really kicks my ass, and I'm sick of being the only one in my classes that comes early and leaves late and doen't bitch and say "maya hates me!"

just my opinion but noone ever gets into these forums to say good things about a school. Everyone I've ever talked to about any college tells me all that was WRONG with it, and very little good things. Most people only know one school, so how can they compare it to other schools? I'm mean, "its way over priced!" - no shit! thats college! find me a place where i can get an associate of science fer computer animation fer way under 30grand thats not a tiny community college- please! and as far as the nice offices for school administration, comments like that irritate me. I would be even more reluctant to invest my student loan money in a school that looks broke and dated like the ones in Detroit. and desks made out of airplane parts? that sounds pretty cool to me.

the only thing I've read here that really worries me about Fullsail is the slow machines, is that really true? like how can i find out what the specs are?

anyway, I've been looking into Fullsail fer awhile now too. and I've liked most of what I've seen. I'll post some links later

Last edited by Clodhopper; May 7th, 2003 at 03:25 PM.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daniela if you live in new york just try to go to one of the colleges over here. They are considered one of the best in the states such SVA, Parsons, Pratt and if you can't afford it I heard FIT has a good program

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will the nawsayers sit down, I am a grad from Full Sail and West Virginia University, I am also 33. I followed my dreams to Full Sail although, I didn't take the Behind the Scenes tour. I went unannounced and got the real tour. Glits and glamour aren't going to make you a great student, it will help you concentrate your skills, cause it's so BEAUTIFUL. And no one at F/S has real airplane parts in their offices...
    Yes, Full Sail is hurting for quality students and if you aren't a quality person them chose a different school. You will have 5 am labs and like it. Too many students (kids) cry that they will have no time to drink or chase girls due to being in class at 5am. Well this is a tech school that will teach you what the indusrty wants. And yes, half the teachers are straight from the industry, SPIES I call them.
    As for the price tag, Well that still boggles my mind after paying 38 G's to get a BFA, when F/S costs roughly 31G's plus if you takeout loans, they are crazy with the interest rate.
    So chose wisely your education, I say Full Sail, Ringling, CAL State, etc.. You can also learn Maya by yourself, but good luck...
    As for aspects I didn't like, Well the text books are written by the teachers specifically for your class(Xeroxed Books). Like NURBS building, Well most of the film indusrty uses NURBS for characters so it isn't a waste. Another hatefull aspect is young mommy kids that are wet behind the ears, if you aren't mature then grow up, then think about Full Sail. Too many (sorry) young kids come out of Full Sail expecting to get a job right off the bat, If you are good you will, if you are a punk you make full Sail look bad!!!! I now work for NBC due to the education I got from F/S along with my BFA in design, I am also in the works to work on a new secret project that all of you will see (in all due time).
    Remeber this to all of you that reply, Badmouth F/S and it will follow you into the industry, remember pros and us NOOBs read these forums.....
    Just to add a sucess story to this. My good friend Jeff Unay (www.jeffunay.com) graduted from F/S and now is making more money than your parents for high res characters. Charles Terry I believe is at NASA ( i might be wrong). Me at NBC doing live event graphics. So guys and gals choose your pain........
    Hope this helps some......
    Love the CG... Anywhere

Last edited by koinu; May 8th, 2003 at 01:40 PM.
    The only Real Worls is our Imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa...what am I getting myself into? still sounds good though, if i want a badass demoreel that i can really be proud of then I'll do what i gotta do.
    great response though, much appreciated Koinu, thanks.
    btw, what year did you get your degree from F/S?

I'm pretty set on going there.
    I been trying to contact my "advisor" at F/S for about a week now and we just keeping leaving eachother voice mail. maybe you could answer a couple questions for me?
    I'm just curious, what would you say is the average age of the students? what percentage drop out? how "state of the art" are the labs? and are there anymore "points of interest" such as 5am lab times that you could tell me? and how close are the apartments to the campus? should i plan on needing a car?

Last edited by Clodhopper; May 8th, 2003 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clod,
    Hey Keep trying your advisor.. I just graduated in Febuary and am waiting for that one or two companies to say "come here NOW". Apartments are all around F/S and you really have to choose the right one. What you aske was the average age of students, well I'd say 20, you will see dinosaurs like me around campus but few... You can im me at aol: esuom69.. i'm on-line usually late in the evening around 9pm, so if you want ot talk conituously then IM me.
    Drop out rates are low, except for those who smoke pot and forget to goto school and fail due tothe attendance policy, which is 90% attendance, under that you fail the class and must pay for it again. So GOTO class.....Having a car is good but not necessary, due to most of the apartments being close by. Whisper Lake Apts. is where I live and it's probly the best place close by, actually it's THE BEST....LAbs are great, the O2 (SGI) machines are old and yes slow, photoshop 3 is the latest version they have and it's based on the unix system vs, pc or mac. I understand that there are plans to bring in Macs for that lab insteaad of the SGI's.
    All labs are pretty state of the art, HP Visionaire machines are the basic machines that you will use. WEll I've gotta run to the movies, time for the free preview of the HULK tonight......
    L8TERS
    Koinu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coldhopper I just added you to my aol list so if esuom69 yapps at you it's me.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aight. just wanted to announce that I'm going to Fullsail, officially.
    I'll be starting class July 7th.

Last edited by Clodhopper; August 22nd, 2003 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Clodhopper,
    If you could drop us a line every month or so (if you have time) to let us know how your classes are going, that would be great. Most of the students that I talked to while they were still at Full Sail had a lot of complaints, like the computers were too slow and the books weren't up to date. It would be great to have you add your first impressions to this thread to make sure prospective students hear from both sides about Full Sail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to Fullsail, actually I am in lab right now.
    It is a good school if you are realistic about your goals. You wont get a job at ILM the day you graduate, but that should be obvious. The teachers, like any school, are all different. Some are really awesome and some arent so great. Deal with it. I have been upset by several things, IE being put in a back room for a couple months, using old bad SGIs but all those issues have been resolved.
    The SGI 02s have been replaced with new macs, that are freakin SWEET. The other computer labs are all very up to date and run well.
    The problem with fullsails reputation is that they let ANYONE in, there are no requirements for entry so anyone with the money can come here. This leads to a ton of stupid people who think this school will teach them creativity and when they dont get that they get mad. Fullsial is a TECH school...dont expect to learn alot of art, although there are a few classes.

Clodhopper....email me or just post in here if you have any questions about the school...or apartments...there are some that are much better then others.

Later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

don't attend full sail

full sail's motto (and logo) a plane isn't making any money if it is on the ground... there fore they stay open all hours of the day and have class all hours of the day. Art and especially animation needs some incubation time... the quicker you learn is not necessarily the better... the meat of animation anyway is the story and you can't just work hard and read a lot of books to come up with a good one... it takes time and living life with your eyes open observing... who cares about maya, or how fast its taught or what methods of modeling are taught, they really don't matter too much, all the big studios use a lot of their own software anyway.

I went to Ringling in Sarasota Florida, Just graduated on may 3rd and allready me and 9 colleagues (out of 39) are working in film out here in LA... Ringling develops people and artists and it is a non-profit organization... full sail is a business that exploits the dreams of would be filmmakers.

if you're good you're good, you'll get a job eventually if you work hard

go to ringling (there is a forum about it as well)and then come out to LA and say Hi

Last edited by PT Osborne; June 5th, 2003 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fullsailey

hey, i'm a current full sail boy, in the end of my second month. i agree with what has been said about full sail. alot of the bad is true, but what i think makes it good is that it isn't geared at teaching you from the ground up. That's not really what i was looking for. i'm mostly a self taught artist and animator, so full sail is just a leaping off point for me... i plan on exploiting it to the fullest. the first two months have been shitty only because the info that they're passing on is very basic stuff that i had a good handle on. don't get me wrong, it's not all worthless, but i want to learn more, quicker. i'm not sure if that'll continue throughout the program (i'm hoping it doesn't) but personally i could have taken the first 2 months down to 3 weeks. it would've been a challenge, but i say bring it. my biggest problem with the school is my impatience really, so it's a good thing i'm not looking down the barrel of a 4 year institution. there are ALOT of people here that either no nothing about animation or art. there are TONS of people who constantly whine about everything and just want to leave and smoke. i've never really seen this many people trying to desperately to find lung cancer. in my first class (of 120 people), there were about 20 or so enrolled in the animation program. of those 20, there were maybe 3 (including myself) that had any sort of prior art or animation experience, and i was the only one that drew on a regular basis. that's just to give you sort of an idea of what to expect.
    oh, and i wish i lived closer to the school. it sucks driving over there on 2 hours of sleep.
    yah, and the owner of the school does have an airplane wing or tail or whatever for a desk. and i hope he appreciates the nice cars we've bought for him
    good luck

p.s. here's some stats for you
    computer animation: of 160 students enrolled from july99 to june00 78% graduated
    digital media 86% of 173
    game design 78% of 54

i looked for placement stats, but couldn't find it. oh and you'll hear this often, "it's up to you to get the best education you can" so i think that pretty much no matter where you go, what you learn is up to you and the amount of work that you put into it. you could come here and get drunk all the time and come to class and take a test with a hangover and you'll get the five dollar education... even though you paid a big chunk. you could come to class, sit up front, ask questions, go home and learn more on your own, over-achieve like a MOFO and then you leave the school with a 60,000 dollar or 100,000 dollar education, although you paid less. this is true wherever you go though. so just bear that in mind when thinking about school.

you can also check out http://www.fullsailsucks.com for more hate

Last edited by JecaTatu; June 22nd, 2003 at 05:34 PM.
    ['_']---->52<----['_']
    and when the planet hit the sun
    i saw the face of allison
    --pixies
    http://www.discoredstudio.com
    ['_']---->52<----['_']

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When did you last go?

From what I'm reading most of you who say Fullsail is horrible wen quite a long while ago. From what you say the school seems very different. I went to the tour this year.

Im looking for a guy from a game called shadowbane named P'epe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree toally with koinu, I graduated from fullsail this past May. The school is geared only towards individuals who are serious about there work. For those who just left HS and are just looking to attend school, dont waste your parents $. I cant say what shape the school is in now, When I started there were 15- 18 students to each class, now from what I heard the classes are 80 strong, so the classes and labs are split and dispursed on odd hours. I enjoyed my time there when i was just a handfull, but to be stuck in a room with so many people it would be impossible to actually learn something from each instructor and lab monitor with so many heads asking for help. There are fantastic intructors and lab monitors, all were a great deal of help, but keep in mind my class only consisted of less than 20 students. As for the schools in NYC , I plan to enroll in either Parsons or back to FIT, which is a good school for the price they ask. good luck daniela with your decision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Once again

www.fullsailsucks.com or itt-sucks.com

my brother succumbed to teh itt corporate Only 4 profit beast that uses the MO of lawyers or agents.

There is some truth in your fiction and some fiction in your truth. To know the truth you must to risk everything

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I graduated from Fullsail and I took a lot of information away from there. Anyone who goes to the "Behind the Scenes" tour, keep in mind that you are sitting through an elaborate sales pitch. If you want to see what Fullsail is like the other 29 days of the month, visit the place Monday-Friday between the hours of 9-5. Take a guided tour, then afterward ask your guide to leave so you can get some honest feedback from students you encounter in the halls.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. If you're gonna be stupid you gotta be tough."

www.johnmacfarlane.net

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.