Sketch as final art

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch as final art

Hello to everyone!

This piece belongs to the finished gallery even though it is a sketch.

The moderators are free to decide where this piece belongs.

Anyway

Lately I've been experimenting with sketching.

Not as a stage before final production but as the final product.

The rough lines and colors sometimes can evoke feelings that

a meticulously produced image might not be able to produce.

The image below is the product of this thinking process and one of a series

of images.

It was produced with Adobe Illustrator, which is an awkard decision for

this kind of work. The thought behind this is the fact that I have

total control over the final product. I can adjust and readjust every

single line. In a way that's cheating because you lose the spontaneity

that a rough sketch provides.

But anyway.

Here's the image for you to judge

Sketch as final art

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow great style. i seem to stick to photoshop,l i havent learned to play with painter so well. whicked pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I certainly saved it to my inspiration folder.

I'd suggest that you should consider putting more detail into the feet though. The trousers and feet are a lot less detailed than the rest of this image, also, the colours here are not as interesting as the upper half

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad you both like it.
    About the lack of detail that hawken mentioned in the bottom part of the picture: Well you're right!! But I think that it builds up on the concept of being finished/unfinished. I certainly agree with you but I can't say that it bothers me. But I've seen the image like 50000000000000(I think that's enough..) times so I can't really be the judge of it.

The image was for a graphic novel that I was about to make. 3 panels later I ditched the idea.... I just got overwhelmed by the amount of work that had to be put into!!! Yeah I'm a lazy b4stard!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sure graphic novels take a long time, but its better than watching television.
    at least thats my take on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sorry but the colors and lines dont evoke any emotion in me. maybe blue meaning depression or sadness but ither then that nothing. infact its the pose that gives of more emothing then anything else

i can see the direction you were aiming for but the way you did it was well.. poorly done. the best way to go about this style wuld be to have the pose perfected. the shoulders should be shrugged but you have a brush stroke making the shoulder looks raised.

as for colors they look pretty random. and for the feeling the pose gives off (dression saddness ect) id would choose colors that give of that feeling, but more importantly keep it simple. blue works weel, the olive green works good, them then with black, white, grey, orange, red, yellow and gold jsut looks bad. try to keep it 3 colors make. or better yet 1 color and black and white. you would get a nice design feel to it that way, hell itd even make a sweet shirt if done right

for the storke themselves try to design them out more. i know your looking for a random look but right now its too chaotic to make sense. design "random" designs that still indicate what your going for and this would be worthy of finally finished

help this helps

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intern I would have to disagree with some of your comments.
    First of all about the color palette.
    Orange and red don't even cover 5% of the picture. You can only see bits and pieces. What you see is the artist making up his mind. Working spontaneously. Making decisions on the fly. That's why there's a layer of different colour showing up on the sketch. And that's why it's important for these colours to stay there. To see all this thinking process.

As for the rest of the colours I really don't see what the problem is. They fit perfectly together. This is not my opinion this is in every single colour theory book. It's like denying that the world is spinning or something.
    But anyway I can accept that the palette might not work for you.

About the shoulders. The left one is definitely not raised. If it was more shrugged he would be like the hunchback of notre damme. Try to imagine the lines that make up the body and you will see my point. In the initial sketch (which I should post but it's a nightmare for my 56k connection) the shoulder was even higher and still the image looked fine. But for some reason in the deconstruction of the image it had to be lowered cause as you said it didn't look right. But I'm afraid that any lower than that and we would be witnessing a monster.

I can accept that the sketch isn't emotive for you. That's totally fine with me. But maybe you're looking in the wrong place. The line as a line won't emote anything. But if you follow the shapes and the way the lines are put together you get a glimpse of the artist and his emotions when he was working on the piece. For an instant you can connect with the artist and as a result feel some sort of emotion.

Anyway I'm not saying that this is a masterpiece but when in my opinion I think that your arguments can't justify themselves I feel the need to pinpoint that to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Intern on the crits. Although the warm golds dont cover much of the picture, they do seem to mix up the mood a bit. The shoulder splash stroke that spikes up subtracts too, I checked thew image without it and I liek it much better. Also the shaky line on the arm on top, makes the image quality sink, I'm not sure why but it's just an ugly line to me. Again, the image looks better without it. A darker, saturated bg also helped.

This has potential just needs a little work.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down This leaves a LOT to be desired...

Nope, this piece most CERTAINLY does NOT belong in Finally Finished. It is SO far from "presentation quality," that it would need a bus ticket, and have to make a couple of route changes along the way.

Phobos, if you can't accept crits, hang it up, because you are too perfect an artist for the likes of the rest of us...

That said, if you can drop the attitude and pay attention, you'll find that Intern was actually pretty on the mark about this piece, and FAR more tactful than I would have been about many things.

I'll just state that Intern WAS correct almost entirely, and that regardless of what you read in a book, or how many books said it, YOUR execution of the color theory you subscribe to falls FAR short of the mark.

* The orange/red blops scattered throughout this piece are LAME. They distract the eye, and, combined with your overwrought efforts to make your "controlled stokes" look "free and easy," this piece simply looks extremely poorly executed as a whole.

* The shoulder looks sloppy, to put it in plain, blunt terms. Vector apps don't do well for freeform art.

* The feet are too small, poor rendering aside, and the inconsistent black outline on one hand, resembling a poorly drawn claw, with no outline on the other hand, just two or three sloppy looking brush strokes, conveys no skill on the artist's part, regardless of how much thought processes you put into this.
    I can accept that the sketch isn't emotive for you. That's totally fine with me. But maybe you're looking in the wrong place.
    That's all well and good claptrap, but the fact remains that THIS is the place we are looking, and THIS is the work that is NOT providing much in the way of emotive response, beyond that of POOR technical execution, POOR composition, and POOR attitude on your part. I can most definitely state that this piece arouses a VERY strong emotion in me, but it is not one that most artists care to have their viewers feel about their works...

Personally, I give it 2 stars for Concept, and -2 stars for the bad technical execution, leaving it a wash...

~M

Last edited by madster; August 1st, 2005 at 12:55 AM.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah leave it. Madster you're not gonna drag me in to this. It's not worth it.

Last edited by phobos; August 1st, 2005 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I think the idea of exploring a sketch as a final product is a pretty cool idea. But I think you're definitely losing out on the spontanaiety and the resulting emotional feel by trying to take too much control over whats going on in the image. I dunno how to explain it really but it just feels a little too chaotic.. as if the artist is changing his mind as to what he needs to work on every half second or so.

The lines you have defining the hands feel like he's getting tight too quickly in that spot. It makes good sense in the face as it should be be tighter and there is also more tones defining the face as opposed to the hands. I dunno, thats just something I've personally run into sometimes.

The strokes and splatters feel a little off as well, what is it that artist is trying to accomplish by throwing some random marks in there? The splatters of black and red dont really feel like they're telling us anything important.

Also I agree that the feet are definitely too small.. if you want them to just be suggested then probably ought to make it a larger suggestion.

All in all though you should keep pushing this style I think, and take in these guys crits if you feel their valid or dismiss them if they're not.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.