my attempt at Photoshop
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: my attempt at Photoshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my attempt at Photoshop

My third attempt at a photoshop drawing, and the first that looks somewhat presentable.

This is Esphaerios, the Roman god of bubbles (not a major deity obviously)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fun concept!

Good bubble distortion is difficult in photoshop, unless you "cheat" with the Spherize Filter, and even that is only of so much help. You've done will with these, by and large.

The bubbles with the wide outer strokes look too flat, though, and none of your bubbles look reflective at all, i.e. they need to reflect your light source.

The color sparkles at the bottom don't fit well as substitute bubbles. They simply look like you got tired of drawing all those circles, and fell back on simple filler.

The same goes for the non-existant background. BG's are my personal bane also, so I know that if you don't do them first, even as a simple thumbnail rough, it can be almost impossible to think of what to add after you've created all the "cool" stuff of the main focus.

Esphaerios looks more like a goddess than a god with those braids, feminine hands, heavy eyelashes and cupid's bow lips, but the lack of any sort of breast swelling makes one wonder...Of far more concern though, is the donkey ears you've given him/her. Looks like something out of Disney's Pinocchio. Truly, I think (hope, believe, PRAY) that the anime/elf look is going out of style. It's becoming as ubiquitous as the original smiley face was back in the 1970's with the "Have a Nice Day" under it...I think this piece would have much more impact if you eliminated the overused symbols for such figures, like the ears, the single line nose, and the overly-large eyes, but that's just me...

This is a great take on the Myth and Mythology of Gods and Goddess, and if you decide to refine it further, it would definitely make a good portfolio piece.
    You could even make an entire series of "lesser known Gods and Goddesses..." The God of PB&J sandwiches, or possibly the Goddess of Text Messaging, etc...LOL!

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you mean about the bubbles, for the smaller ones in particular I think I should have zoomed in to do the radial gradient, the gradient is too diffuse and so the bubbles don't look as shiny as they should. Any idea how I could do a decent bubble-like rainbow diffraction?

The idea was for Esphaerios to be floating in space, generating a "ring" of bubbles. I hoped this would give a sense of movement for the arms. It's not that I was too lazy to draw more bubbles... But just space was, well, empty. So I added the rather pathetic faery sparkles. Perhaps I should have placed the event somewhere, but I'm a bit stumped as to what would be an appropriate location... a bathtub or kitchen sink, perhaps. Or a pint of beer

I deliberately tried to make him/her look androgynous and child-like, so don't feel bad about wondering... as for the style; that's the taste of the intended recipient. It IS popular... I'll try to do something completely different next time

Last edited by Silly; July 30th, 2005 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a bartop, with some draught pulls and a beermug would make a great backdrop for this piece, as well as providing you with some darker tones to better call attention to the bubbles and the god. But a bathtub full of water with two feet at the end sticking out, or a sudsy sink with dishes would work well, too.

For a more "rainbow" effect, try using an LAB noise radial gradient with predominant blues, purples and greens. Apply about 14% Gaussian Blur, and reduce the opacity to about 50% or to "taste." Duplicate this bubble, and apply the Wave Filter at the default settings. Merge the two bubbles down, apply the Gaussian Blur again at the same percentage, and again reduce the opacity. This should give you a bit better looking bubble to work with...

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    try to play with the "depth of field"
    if some bubbles are larger and out of focus, it will add a real sense of space.

also, i would like to see the bubbles coming out of her hands more.
    right now it looks as though she were controlling the bubbles, but not creating them.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take two:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bubbles look MUCH better, although maybe just a wee bit "soapy" looking for beer suds...

I think you should consider giving Esphaerios (how DID you come up with the name, BTW?) a wee bit more of a smile at the corners of the mouth, as the facial expression right now looks somewhat melancholy...

Getting better, keep at it!
    ~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the feedback!

Much as I enjoyed studying the beer, I felt it didn't work so well, thematically and color-wise. So I changed the background again - I think it looks more cheerful this way.

I also changed the eyes a bit, just the mouth was not enough to get a smiling expression.

On loading, I got a warning from photoshop that my file was corrupt, and some of the bubbles had artefacts on them. I did my best to repair the damage... does this happen often with photoshop?

Also, out of curiosity, about how long would someone familiar with photoshop work on a drawing like this? It took me about 24 hours, but I have to figure out how to do everything on the way...

Esphaerios is not really my idea, it was prompted by this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Loooooking GOOOD!

The PS corrupt file is not common, but there are some possible contributing factors.
    What version Photoshop?
    Did you have any other applications running while you were working?
    Anti-virus software in the background with an Internet page while you're working?
    And that's just a few...

Best advice I can offer is to get in the habit of Ctrl+'S' (Save) as soon as you finish working on something, and before you start working on something else, e.g. when you're done with one set of bubbles, and getting ready to work more on they face, SAVE...At the very least, it might help minimize your problems.

I like the new background better, but they look like giant colored eggs, instead of giant matching bubbles, but I know that's no biggie for you to fix. It really DOES look more cohesive this way.

The face looks happier, without being "silly" (no, Silly, I didn't mean YOU, personally!).

If you were more proficient in PS, a piece like this could take you anywhere from about 3-4 hours, to maybe twice that, mainly for the drawing of the central character, as the bubble part would be pretty much cut and paste with adjustment layers and the Free Transform Tool to change scale and rotation as needed.
    You could probably do this entire piece again from scratch, and comlete it in less than an 8-hour working day. That's the "price" you pay to conquer the notorious "steep learning curve" of Photoshop.

It's a very cheerful, bright, and happy piece. You can be proud of your accomplishments!

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But but... they are not bubbles, those are supposed to be dishes. Dishes sitting in the kitchen sink!

Now I feel so crushed.

(and the "client" wanted the sparkles and ears back, so I put them back)

Here's a logo/icon concept for the same critter:

Last edited by Silly; August 1st, 2005 at 08:42 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.