Art: The 2-nd letter of the aprentice.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

The 2-nd letter of the aprentice.

It's been few weeks since my first message. It seems like it was back in my youth since I've learned so much that I already feel old - yet never been so young.

For the ones just opening the page of Conceptart.org the story goes like this:

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRAW
    I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PAINT

So masters and followers have gathered around to spin my head - i thank them still.
    The last assignment was to draw a picture of an opposite sex (had to contain hands).
    To Master Jason, my All Mighty: Here is an unfinised master copy for that one:

look closely people - this is what I've learned to do in 3 weeks listening to those people. (And it's not finished)

For my special assignment - I had to draw my brother (who just had an accident) every day.
    Here find the last days.
    Note: I post those for learning reasons - C&C welcome, ignorance accepted

(see next)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

and here goes an early photo of the poor guy - learning reasons again.

I hope you can tell from my drawings that he's better now.

Sorry for the ugly show.

Oblio

Thanks
    great stuff man! ive been checking in on your progress every now and then from that thread and i think its great. you can officially say that you Can draw, you Can paint! keep up the practice man, itll do ya good.

im very sorry about your brother though... car accident?

chris

Thanks

my eXtreme bro'

well.. there is a long way to the "I CAN DRAW" statement.
    I work with artists and used to hire them myself
    My goal is to pass a hiring test, to have a portfolio, to get the statement from Jason Manley :cool:

My brother is the extreme kind of guy - mane an extreme sport - he's been there. This time was doing tricks while paragliding with a strange paraglide (not his).
    God was merciful enough to show and NOT to demonstrate - he'll be just fine (even that has the spinal column broken).
    Thx for the support - I'll keep it up.

Oblio

Thanks

tonight

I'm happy I've managed to get home in time to find him awake.

Thanks

tried something else

he feels better now and moves his head over and over - it always goes wrong.
    I think i should set some quick guides and then compensate with what "I know" a head looks like- even that i didn't reach that level yet. Any advices - are your models standing still?

Oblio

P.S. -
    I ask of M(anley)aster Jason,
    A word about the running lesson.
    On hold? Game Over? Soon?
    Who cares if there's no spoon? :confused: (couldn't find a quick rime)

Thanks
    Hey there, Oblio!

I've been busy finishing my Thuderdome entry, but I'll pick up on the thread when things calm down again. I'm sure I'll do another Mastercopy when somebody can cut n' paste the previous lessons into this thread.

Having a restless model, you might practice "blocking in" (sketching using very wide strokes) the "big" shadows and shapes with a big crayon, observing where the light falls, etc. Check out this thread:

Sijun Forum, Craig Mullins Lesson

Lots of valuable basic advice there. Keep it up!

Portfolio: www.torsteinnordstrand.com
    Working on / for: Age of Conan / Funcom

Thanks

Hey there

Nice to have you back.
    Thank you! I'll do that - I only have crayons but hopefuly I'll get it there
    The bad thing is that he's not quite restless - lately he's pretty agitated - i guess he's tiered to lie down.
    Anyway - here's tonight:

Oblio

P.S. - I have saved all the previous lessons and sent them to Jason. Hopefully he'll manage to find some time next week for that.

Thanks

blocking in?

I hope I've got the point right. Torstein, am I anywere close?
    This is made with a graphite crayon:

Has no auto-levels or other twists - only what the scanner (a bad one) managed to get.
    I've tried to make anotherone ater a photo to save him the trouble of standing still -I like to start with the grays and patch in over and over leaving the black and the highlights for the end. (I guess this is the good way, right?)

Didn't have the time to finish so I've done an auto-levels and got this:

Is it any good? Should I stop using levels and try to do them by hand? What's next - more of those? How?
    Thank you,

Oblio

P.S. - I'll try to find a "plastic face" tomorow - I think it will help.

Thanks

Too late (the rabit vanish in the hole)

A long meeting made my home arrival late - everyone was sleeping. I've tried a quick phone to my brother - no answer.
    Lucky me - In today's lunch brake I've ran into town and got myself two.. how should I call them - "statues"???
    I've made a first attempt to draw one of them - I think you know this one - is used here for learning a lot.

Bad proportions again - I HAVE to pay more attention to that.
    Is this allowed or should I stop it? - I'll keep drawing my brother.
    I'm sorry I didn't take the time to finish it - I can barely sit on my chair. Till tomorrow...

Oblio

Thanks

What the...?

My drawings are getting worst - this is not my brother. Again he just can't sit still, but the major problem is mine: I cant seem to make it right.

Again I was too tired to finish the "mask" - my goal was to make it white (the last one looks black).

Hopefuly in the morning I'll see what I've just done and not kill myself - bare with me till then.
    C&C&Tasks - where are you?

Oblio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    try adding some color to the drawings of your brother to bring out more emotions. I really applaud your efforts, I hope you are learning alot from this experience

Thanks

Low Poly

Today I've tried to simplify the shapes - back to the basics where i belong. :bash:

and my new friend:

I wonder - where is the eagerness of the followers? Is everybody done with the "opposite sex plus hands" assignment? No one is looking for the Manley learning style anymore?
    Or the fact that poor Master Jason is "jailed" at the office and can't find the time for an official reply has made the learning unofficial?
    I'm also waiting for the re post of the old lessons, but time is not important now.
    Back to you Andrew - color? I'm not sure I'm allowed
    :confused:
    But I'll try anyway :p so stand by for tomorrow. Thx for reply.

Oblio

Thanks
    yeah man, keep it up. going over the basics is a good thing when you get frustrated with what youre currently doing. im sure the forum will bounce back after a little while, and im sure that people will slowly realize this place isnt dead and rejoin and take part in this learning experience.

chris

Thanks

Fooling around...

Too late home again I've start playing some Painter (long time no see, since all the crayon sketches) and while testing some brushes I've thought to give it a color go. (Am I making any sense? :confused: - Baaad English)
    So here is my brother... :doh: Andrew, made me do it!

:help: - this could be anyone. I'll try another approach in weekend just for a spin. For now I'll go back to B&W as I still have a lot of work to do on that ground.

And another sketch of my friend:

Bye.
    Oblio

Thanks
    you should pm jason or something and ask about whats going on. hes probably just very busy at work. im also interested in the drawing class and would participate should it start up again, too. also, your sketches are getting stronger! im not sure about the color one though... keep it up!

chris

Thanks

How long has it been?

Sorry friends, I've been in another dimension.
    Sure I've been drawing... yes, I'll make it up to you.

Chris - Manley has barely time to breathe, but you should not wait for the next assignment. You better be one step ahead - have the current assignment done for the time he'll be back - have you done your portrait of a girl? (Hands included)
    Post it. You will not learn to draw only by reading Jason's posts - you gotta take the damn pencil and DRAW!
    BTW - why are you reading this - DRAW! DRAW! DRAW! Dammit! :rambo:

Back to daily job. I've tried to play a little with other tools - I guess this is my first inking attempt. Be mercyfull, and post some critics. Even if it looks like #&%^ I've learned a lot about line. Please prove me wrong! Thank you.

and my Mr. Friend

Oblio

Thanks

Smile I'm on my way!

Hi there Oblio,

Unfortunately, I am currently swamped with visitors from abroad, and they insist on staying until the 17th.

I will be doing the "Portrait of human of opposite sex w/hands" when I get a chance to really sit down and spend serious time on anything. Until then, I can only manage a few hours here and there, mainly doing black/white head studies (following the thread I linked to above). I might post them here, if that's alright with you. We're all learning...

Btw, I'm having some trouble seeing your drawings, it might be a server issue. (with me or with you). Anybody else having troubles?

Thanks

Well.. here you were

Thx. Torstein, I was hoping you will reply. I need some directions on my inking pathetic attempt. I will buy some charcoals as soon as I get the chance to go out and try the "wide brush" blocking in exercise.
    Meanwhile have a look on this (bad proportions again) - Damn, I get lost in details as I draw and even with some loose guidelines I'm overlooking the proportions.
    I place landmarks as you said an it seems to work great on small areas but when everything is done I realise something like - hey.. that is smaller than it should...
    On the other hand, my brand new scanner, bought especially for this lessons (maybe you remember that day when everithing started) made his come back - it doesn't scan all the "values" of the drawing and I have to do stupid levels/sharpness etc tricks to get the drawing out of the paper :electric:

and for Andrew

As for the server - it should be mine - even that is one of the biggest servers around here... well they are still having pb's as I can see. Anyway, today it seems all right to me (fast and no trouble) - if it become unstable I'll move on to another - there are plenty!
    Stand by for my brother's portrait - I'm on my way to his house. :jump1: :beam:

Oblio

Last edited by Oblio; August 11th, 2002 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks

Scot me up Beamey...

:beam: Back
    I've found a way to make him stand still - my PLAYSTATION!
    I know Jason said: "Don't show work you are not pleased with - unfinished etc" - For the one from the above post - I thought to remake the upper part (hair etc) but that was the margin of my paper :mad:
    And as for the other ones - if I don't post here I loose my will to go on, and I feel like going back drinking again :beer:

Bare with me. Keep telling me what I'm doing wrong - Open my eyes :cyclops: :confused:
    Cheers!

Oblio

Thanks

Another day another experiment

Today I've tried to draw with a liner - I only have a grey one and I'm happy my scanner got it out.

Oblio

Thanks

Dumb marker

Thanks
    good job man, keep going! btw, how does your brother/friend feel about bring your model all the time?

chris

Thanks

Edinburgh Art Gallery

I'm still here, just letting you know that I went to the Edinburgh National Gallery yesterday, and had a close in-person inspection of John Singer Sargent's "Lady Agnew" portrait, and man - is she a beaut or what... The colours were so exquisite I just felt like licking the paint off the canvas. :fruit: Luckily there were lots of tourists and guards to keep me off

Anyways, I made a lot of notes, but it will be damned hard to copy... Sargent appearantly mixes a lot of his colours on the canvas, so it seems I will have to give Painter another try. Do you remember if the original posted exercise was to be in colour or b/w? I'm not sure.

Here's a link to the image in question, although this version is garbage compared to the original... it seems I'll need to do another gallery trip later on to experience the freshness of the original.

Sargent's Lady Agnew of Lochnaw

Anyways, keep it up... and see if there ain't a Life-drawing course nearby that you can sign on to. I'm on my way to do that right now! :chug:

Thanks

Dumb marker again

I've somewhat enjoyed the marker even that the result was horrible. I've tried again today some sketches - so you will see now the lack of any improvement in my skills.
    The fact that you can not erase this marker is quite challenging - also the lack of any value brings it more to the raster kind of drawing (more appropriate to my current job gfx - 1bpp & low resolutions (100x90) wireless devices).

Chris - How my brother feels about it? - Well he must be happy enough to feel his legs so he doesn't mind a bug like me around. I somehow make him stand still so I'm quite a healing potion :beer: He must be tired of lying down and of any liquid food (he still has the mouth wired - so can't open it or chew) so I guess that when he will be able to move I'll hardly manage to get a glimpse of him.
    Anyway, he feels a lot better - I hope the major next step (standing up, on his feet) to be flawless, and no more surgery for his mouth.

Fresh and shaved - rare view. As for my "friend" - I thought I've mentioned - He's cement (Michelangelo replica of Moses) - I'll ask him anyway!

Torstein - lucky you! I'm gonna miss ECTS this year so no England for me (my demo is not ready to show) - therefore no Edinburgh National Gallery. Next time, I'll watch your back if you'll still be looking for a taste of paint
    I don't even want to think about your next mastercopy - You've blew us away first time - (If I remember? I have it here on my HDD - full resolution! )
    Unfortunately, life-drawing courses are not an option for me right now - I'm pretty busted at work and have A LOT of other work to do after that - I have to rely on you people at least for a while. I'll try to join some classes maybe in October when school starts (see with my boss for some time). I wish to do that - but... for now - IMPOSIBLE :realmad:
    Thx for feedback.

Oblio

Thanks

Back

It's official - my brother is walking again. :chug: I'll let you know when he starts flying that thing too :mad: (he's not quiting)
    So i'll better be back to my classic lesson working around my cement friend. Here are some exercises with that stupid marker.
    I try to achieve more confidence in my line so i'm doing outlines holding the marker by its end. Upper right - the marker was out and I couldn't resist to shade a little with that transparency mode on
    Upper left - plaing with some color- made without reference (just fooling around).
    Anyway - here it is - in case you were wandering why I'm not posting.

Oblio

Thanks
    hey oblio, looks like youre really improving. these latest ones look real nice

keep em coming!

Thanks

I'm still here Dr. Jason...

First day with real charcoal in my hands. What I've done is crap, but the feeling is great. Too bad for the SP - it went out like #%$&!

Oblio
    P.S. - How about another task? Anyone? I'm trying to learn here.

Thanks

Dust on my scaner

Here: a new charcoal drawing but the scaner kept the light grays for himself

Sad Oblio

P.S. - Nil - Thx for support - It helps!

Thanks
    I think it's really easy to see your improvement in these, Oblio. It seems you are getting a better understanding of the form every time. Good work!

About the scanner... if you can, try scanning your drawings in colour mode instead of greyscale or b/w. It is more accurate, and it will preserve most of your tones, I think.

Keep on!

PS: Tomorrow is my first Life Drawing class, wish me luck! I'll be needing it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.