Demon Slayer

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Demon Slayer

Thanks

Demon Slayer

Hi everyone, hope all is well
    I am new to this forum so this is my first posted work.
    Anyway this piece is entitled "Demon Slayer". The main character is human but transforms into the demon slayer when pushed to his limits (as shown in this piece).
    This composition took me quite a while to complete, because at the time I was in school and was just learning photoshop, I even had to do the entire thing using only the mouse (crazy huh).
    Anyway guys just let me know you thoughts on this piece, am open to critiques. Comments are most welcome. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am unclear if you drew this character by hand, or simply added the effects?

My work: [link]

Thanks

Smile

hahaha, this was all done from scratch by me.
    It was my first photoshop project.

Thanks
    cliche. honestly, the sword is stolen from soul calibre, armor from Mortal Kombat, left hand from anything trying to look interesting and the whole lightning/fire effect is in SO MANY movie posters. now i'm going to submit this reply before my head explodes over the cliche'edness (new word!)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Thanks
    whoa calm down dude. If you're going to use teh word stolen then maybe you should back it up with the pic where it's stolen from. Otherwise use the word referenced or something like that.

Praise the Lard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the machine god
    whoa calm down dude. If you're going to use teh word stolen then maybe you should back it up with the pic where it's stolen from. Otherwise use the word referenced or something like that.
    what? i don't know what the hell you're referring to.

"You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by broken lizard
    cliche. honestly, the sword is stolen from soul calibre, armor from Mortal Kombat, left hand from anything trying to look interesting and the whole lightning/fire effect is in SO MANY movie posters. now i'm going to submit this reply before my head explodes over the cliche'edness (new word!)
    Damn, dude, can't you read what you yourself write??? Bad enough you can't use real words, like "trite," "hackneyed," "ubiquitous," "shopworn," or "over used," you rag on the poor dude with a lame term like "cliche'edness???" Go take a couple aspirin and a nap...

Naycart, this is pretty damn good for all PS, and with a mouse (just proves a point of contention around here regarding the necessity of a tablet... )

I would suggest lowering the contrast on this some, though, as it's just too damn bright, overall, which makes it almost glaring on the eye. You never want too much "pure white" in any composition, as it then makes it ever so much harder to render effective values for the rest of the piece. I would also eliminate that overly bright splotch in the upper LH corner. It almost smacks of a gigantic Lens Flare, and adds nothing to the power of this piece.

So, if you did this in school, what have you been painting lately? Enquiring eyes wanna see!!!

Welcome to CA. Ignore any and all crits you don't like (especially MINE!), and we're all looking forward to seeing more of your work!

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    And those words are supposed to mean.......? i'm twelve, i don't read the dictionary for fun and my english teacher isn't the best.That's the reason i'm utterly terrified of madster, people.

Thanks
    ha, thanks for your opinion guys.
    Yeah I figured I was a bit too hard on the contrast. Now saying that the armor was from mortal combat... thats kinda.... well I hate MK
    I guess Soul Calibur was an inspiration although I didn't use any reference work (I NEVER USE REFERENCES IN ANY OF MY WORK).
    At the time I was playing Devil May Cry2, and I wanted to create my own version of Dante's demonic form, so thats what I came up with.
    Thanks again for welcoming me, I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    And those words are supposed to mean.......? i'm twelve, i don't read the dictionary for fun
    twelve-year-old speak for "madster, get a life"

its good that youre able to take elements from many sources and combine them into one image, but perhaps (like some have said) a little personalisation will be in order. take a weapon, lengthen it, bend it, sharpen it, add mechanical parts, spikes, etc, and youve got an (almost entirely) original work keep at it, i look forward to more from you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Naycart
    ha, thanks for your opinion guys.
    Yeah I figured I was a bit too hard on the contrast. Now saying that the armor was from mortal combat... thats kinda.... well I hate MK
    I guess Soul Calibur was an inspiration although I didn't use any reference work (I NEVER USE REFERENCES IN ANY OF MY WORK).
    At the time I was playing Devil May Cry2, and I wanted to create my own version of Dante's demonic form, so thats what I came up with.
    Thanks again for welcoming me, I really appreciate it.
    ah.....the truth rings clear.

'stoph- are you insulting me?

Thanks
    something about the flare in the side seems...low quality, like when you take a scanned photo and flare it.

i suggest not using flare but build layers of colour to have higher quality...but i have no real idea what the process was or why it looks like that..

what resolution do you work at?

plus...the kids right, the sword painfully looks like SC, and it even has a little place where the eye would be... plus the armor does look like MK BUT those are modelled on real life samurai armor, so thats perfectly fine...i suggest, once again, learning more about the characters you create..if im painting a preist i usually research what faith he is and what preists of that faith wear, what colours, styles...etc
    try looking up info about ancient chinese or japanese armory. *shrugs

deprived me of my coil

Thanks
    And those words are supposed to mean.......? i'm twelve, i don't read the dictionary for fun and my english teacher isn't the best.That's the reason i'm utterly terrified of madster, people.
    Is this true? If so: what is with kids today? Why are they/you so damn grown up and clever? When I was twelve I probably didn't know what a cliché was, and I sure couldn't have formulated myself like this on the web (if it had been around). Hell, I'm 27, and I can hardly speak as it is now!

As for the illo: Nice for first time and mouse work. Looks like a screenshot from an in-game movie... Something tells me you are painting miniatures like Warhammer or suchlike also. Is there something behind that feeling?

Thanks
    Reference work.... damn.. I always try to stay away from that (haven't done it since I was about 10 years old)
    I really should start doing it again though, plus I guess it will make the process of creating a composition go much faster and I may learn a thing or two in the process.
    Anyway thanks again guys for your opinions, I'll let you know how the whole reference thing goes when I do my next piece.

Thanks
    i had a better vocab when i was 12 then i do now.. but then i realized it was inhibiting me from making any friends so i decided to "lighten up" and not talk like a 40 years old. i've been a bimbo every since herher jk ...sigh...

seriously i learned a lot of big words from the simpsons, and asking my dad what they meant. plus he knows 3 languages...

and kids these days?
    are you kidding me? for the most part they are getting worse, the drop out rate is WAY higher then it used to be *even though school systems here, canada, have changed so i don't blame em*

most of them start having sex and smoking pot, drinking heavily at around 12...it wasn't like that when i was 12..

people in a lower grade then me in school were so different and thats a years or two difference

Quote Originally Posted by P Hallin
    Is this true? If so: what is with kids today? Why are they/you so damn grown up and clever? When I was twelve I probably didn't know what a cliché was, and I sure couldn't have formulated myself like this on the web (if it had been around). Hell, I'm 27, and I can hardly speak as it is now!

As for the illo: Nice for first time and mouse work. Looks like a screenshot from an in-game movie... Something tells me you are painting miniatures like Warhammer or suchlike also. Is there something behind that feeling?

deprived me of my coil

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.