Help yourself to my Custom Painter IX brushes!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help yourself to my Custom Painter IX brushes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Help yourself to my Custom Painter IX brushes!

Hey all. I posted these in my sketchbook already, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to leave them out here for everyone. These are all for for Painter IX, but some might work with older versions.

so, here they are

To install: Close Painter. Expand the zip file directly into your Painter/Brushes/Painter Brushes folder. On most systems that folder is CProgram Files\Corel\Corel Painter IX\Brushes\Painter Brushes

Here's what's in the new brush category:

The Scratchy Sculptor - All purpose crosshatch-style painter.

This is certainly my favorite brush. I recommend frequent color changes (using the alt-click method) along with an even crosshatch. Using this brush you can get a blended look without blurring. I do all my modeling work with this while zoomed in rather close. Let me know if you find this brush working well for you -- I'm curious.

Just Plein Quick - Speedy Tweaked Artist Oil

This brush is low-processor, and it moves smoothly no matter how large the brush size. There's a nice dab, thick-to-thin pressure, and a semi-constant flow of paint that I really enjoy. There's also just a touch of HSV variance to give the stroke a just-mixed sort of look. The 'Plein' comes from Plein Air. When painting plein air, this is the digital brush I wish I had on hand while I spend my time playing with actual oil paint.

Just Plein Empty - Artist Oil's based blender.

This is the "Just Plein Quick" brush without any paint on it. It's like using a bristle blender. It seems more painterly and closer to the real thing than some ready-made blenders like Just Add Water. You can see a quick before and after in the pic above.

The Sketchy Tendril - Expressive Sketching Pencil

This takes a light hand and some getting used to. Once you're used to it though, it's a smooth way to tackle a sketch. I made this with the intention of drawing very deliberate pencil strokes. If your hand gets ahead of you, you can find the results too unpredictable. This is also great for strands of hair etc...

Pressure Pits - Texture Brush

This is a texture brush that responds very well to pressure. Start out with a light hand and work up to a heavy dab. The brush is based upon a scan of a small section of orange peel. It's great for lots of stuff beyond citrus though.

The Hermes Marker - Sketching Marker

One has to watch out for the build-up with this, but the line quality and responsiveness of this brush has grown on me over time. It's useful for sketching, especially with a light touch.

The WC Crutch - Quick and Simple DWC Coloring

This is the comfortably-tweaked dwc brush I turn to when I want to quickly color a digital sketch. It gets the job done without a lot of fuss. It works well as an opaque cover that nonetheless appears rather transparent, giving the impression of deliberate color.

--------------

They all take some getting used to, but I use em all happily. Feel free to post anything you manage to create with em. I'd be more than curious to see the results. Oh, and feel free to ask any questions/complain.

-Craig

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Houghton For This Useful Post:

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Craig,

Great demo's and explanations!

I've downloaded your brush category and tested the variants. Very nice!

For "The Sketchy Sculptor", I found that I needed to move the Min Size slider up a bit, then decided to move it all the way to 100%. Otherwise, the stroke began with a clump where all the bristles met and ended with a small gathering of bristles at another point, or clump.

The stroke was much more narrow, too, and the bristles much closer, not like in your demo, so I moved the Size up to about 32 and Feature up to 8.0.

An easy fix and now it's working just fine. (I liked it the other way too.)

Thanks for your generosity!

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    davi - have fun

Jin - Many thanks!

Here's some more scratchy sculptor info. As is often the way with variants, it's a product of my own peculiar habits. In particular, that initial clumping and the bristle spread goes away if you sort of slam down each stroke with a degree of force and pressure in a given direction without hesitation. I tend to be heavy handed when I'm not doing my best avoid it. When hatching away that's how I tend to use it. It also might have something to do with my indelicate Aiptek tablet. Also, I leave the min size that low so that I can move the brush very softly and slowly and paint a single thin line without switching brushes.

I'm glad you found a fix that works for you -- that's exactly what I do at larger brush sizes as well. The larger the brush size the higher the feature needs to go in order to get that same spread. Interestingly enough, 8.0 is exacltly the spread I use on larger brush sizes.

thanks again,
    Craig.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

You're welcome.

Thanks for the extra info on how you work with The Scratchy Sculptor variant. I try to avoid "slamming" since my tablet cover's surface suffers and so does the nib after a while... and my hand.

Still, when I'm tired and rushed, I tend to press harder than needed, so my tablet surface has worn areas.

I do "slam" when painting splatters with the Liquid Ink's Graphic Bristle variant as I haven't found another way to make them splatter randomly the way I want.. without "slamming".

Isn't it fun working with brush controls to get the effects we want, and often something even better than we expected?

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome, thanks for sharing these!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks very much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Freakin Brilliant

Craig thanks for the brushes....nice demo pics to go along with them as well!
    That Digital Watercolor...is exceptional!
    Hyung Tae Kim...is gonna have some competition if the right people get a hold of these!!...LOL
    Again..many thanks
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome blender brush! I have been trying to make something like this forever.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it compatible with the Mac version of Painter ? If it does, where should I install the brushes?

ty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheun Cheun
    Is it compatible with the Mac version of Painter ? If it does, where should I install the brushes?

ty
    Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX brushes are Mac/PC compatible.

These brushes, as Craig says in his first post, were created for Painter IX.

Read Craig's first post to learn where to instell them.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can I use the brushes on Mac?

Hi Craig,

thanks alot for sending the brushes to me in E-mail. However, I'm not sure how to install them? I read the instructions in your original post, and followed them (I think) exactly, copied the folder into /brushes/painter burshes/

But when I launch painter 9.1, they don't show up. Now, I have never used custom brushes before except custom varients I made (those that you can manager from the organizer menu), and I have just recently switched to Mac, so may be I am doing something wrong? please help!

I'd try them out on my old PC but I only have IX on the Mac.. darn

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never mind my previous post, I've figured out how to install the brushes, it works a little differently in Max OS X than in windows:

1. The file needs to be placed in /library/application support/corel/painter IX/brushes/painter brushes rather than the directory where painter is installed.

2. A .JPG file with a filename matching that of the folder's is required for the brushe category to show up in Painter. I copied one of the default category pix and renamed it to craig's.

and now it works, haven't tried them yet, will do later.

x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really rating the 'sketchy tendril pencil' and the 'WC crutch' - slightly tweaked variants of them have been added to my custom brush palette. I'll post some work I've done with them when it's finished.

Not too keen on any of the others, but two new brushes I'll probably use at some point on almost any painting? Not bad...

Cheers Craig!

AJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sry for not reading the 1st post carefully
    thx for the brushes, craig !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.