ConceptArt.org or Illustration.org?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ConceptArt.org or Illustration.org?

Hey conceptart community,

What do you guys, Jason and the mods specifically, think about this. I've wondered why a forum set up for concept art really seems structured for illustration. Our two main folders here are 'Finished Work' and 'Sketches/WIP'. Maybe it's just me but as a concept artist I'm always a little confused where to post concept sketches. You know what I mean? They're not doodles but they're also not as developed as a cover illustration I might do.

What if it looked like this:

'Concept Art'
    'Illustration'
    'Sketchbooks'

Maybe under a 'Illustration' folder there would then be a subfolder for WIP. It seems like the current naming structure might have been used because previous art forums like Sijun did it that way but it doesn't seem fitting for a concept art forum, especially THE concept art forum.

What do you guys think?

"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
    create a reality of the same intensity."
    -Giacometti
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we havea limited number of users, theres alot of em, but still not enough to sustain a kazzilion sub forums. if we only get like... 5 illus in each folder weekly its a bit pointless. The forum is structured by how finished the illustration is. Also sorry to shoot down your concetp but conceptart.org is now a known label, it the same reason a makor company has trouble changing their corporate name and design, because it needs to be readily recognizable, and its an established name, make sense?

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to clarify,

I didn't mean that adding folders would be a good idea but that renaming them might be and I am in no way suggesting that the name of the website and organization change ... not sure how that last part was construed from what I posted.

"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
    create a reality of the same intensity."
    -Giacometti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh fair enough, nah i see what you mean. What i was saying is, that conceptart.org is such a well established name, that you cant, without great difficulty, change it to illustration.org, does that make sense? And i kinda misread your post initially, sorry

Last edited by Red_Rook; July 27th, 2005 at 08:30 PM.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I understand this properly, to show a concept properly, it must be illustrated, which may or may not stand alone as an illustration. An illustration, on the other hand, is an end product unto itself. Drawing the line is sometimes subjective, unless the intent is spelled out specifically.

If I executed an illustration that couldn't be construed as an example of a solution to some concept-oriented problem or other, I would be judged only as an illustrator to determine how successful I was. But...what would happen if my illustration was possibly usable to a classic concept client? Would I automatically be switched to another category in spite of the fact that I didn't intend it as such?

I'm first an artist with an incredibly heavy advertising/graphic background. This is both a curse and a blessing. Most of what I would produce would be construed here as an illustration here, even my personal "painterly" efforts. I have no problem with that. Much of it I wouldn't even show here, because it extends beyond the "realistic" parameters approach required for concept work. Why put you guys through that shit? On the other hand, I'm a designer, which is what concept artists really are (SURPRISE!), and I'd hate to be excluded just because my background and primary interests are different from yours.

The reason I'm going through this bullshit is because it may NOT BE POSSIBLE to separate the two into two clearly defined areas. There IS a lot of overlap.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What he said.

Additionally, taking your work as an example, hethe, I have no problem separating "finishes" from "sketches" on your site, and I expect you probably don't either, really.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.