Sketchbook: sketchbook 2nd try

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketchbook 2nd try

******SCROLL DOWN A WAYS FOR CURRENT/NEWER STUFF....THANKS********

Ok...I originally started this under SKETCHES/WORKS IN PROGRESS, but I wanted to make a proper sketchbook, so here it is...this is pretty much just everything from the other thread but I will be updating this and not that. I will try and upload new content frequently but it is difficult to scan my stuff...also I've got some 3d stuff in the works and will post it too. Anyways, please give me useful crit if you have any...I need to do some whole figure studies I think as well as work on color theory alot and environments.

This first one is a background for a scene in a film I am working on with my class. You may notice it's a little funky on the left side, but the closes foreground element is actually a seperate layer along with another on top of that of a light bulb so during the camera pan we can get like a parallax scrolling effect. It's supposed to be the inside of a "monster cargo plane" or something...awash in red light. Anyways, I cropped a little out of it but you get the idea...
    sketchbook 2nd try
    pencils...
    sketchbook 2nd try

early storyboard thumbs for that scene...I drew some panels a little out of order ...
    sketchbook 2nd try
    sketchbook 2nd try

random stuff...sketches from photos, anatomy books, my head, wherever...
    sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

gonna redo this one...
    sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

study...back is fucked up
    sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

This is a concept sketch for a short animation I will be doing for my demo reel...not happy w/ it yet but I was just trying to get a basic feel for it...I have some more ideas, need to do some more sketches...
    sketchbook 2nd try

Last edited by clutchyourideas; February 2nd, 2006 at 11:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update...just some random scribbles...ref used except for the figures of the chick

sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff! I like the poster and the drawing of the lion with wings(I know there is a more technical name for those animals). great pencil work keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are a couple more for the class film project (different angles, etc) I've got a few more of these coming soon including an outside of plane shot...crit welcome

sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey CYI,

welcome to the sketch book forum, i really dig the creature u drew for the short animation, really interesting proportions.

Peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice ! That curved perspective adds a lot to that first pic.

I'm gonna check your sketchbook out some more !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works here.
    I like that 1st one, good perspective/ depth feel.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should definitely finish that oceanographer with the ocotpus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    warground: Thanks for the welcoming words man!...I need to work on that creature some more as I need to start modelling it soon.

Nightvision / JeroArt: thanks ! That series is getting tedious to do but I'm getting close to done. Please do check back, I appreciate the comments.

melvin: It's on my list I think I'm gonna start fresh w/ a new color palette.

And here's some updates...I stopped at a graveyard by my house on the way home for a few minutes...whipped up this sketch. This was my first try at rendering something purely w/ pen...I learned some things and I'm gonna do some more pen life studies...NEXT I'm starting from square one with anatomy studies out of books. FIRST OFF...skull and neck bones...I'm gonna work my way up from bones to muscles to forms and try to incorporate what I learn into my work. The rest is randomness...coat of arms idea/sketch, and a quick color test on an old drawing...GO WACOM PRACTICE!

ballpoint pen sketch
    sketchbook 2nd try

bonez
    sketchbook 2nd try

weird coat of arms thing
    sketchbook 2nd try

blacklightcolordog
    sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks for checking out mys ketchbook...comments/crit, please!!!

Last edited by clutchyourideas; August 23rd, 2005 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    props sir! solid structures here. You are doing animation at school ? Which school bychance?

I am shopping around so to speak to see if I am willing to go back to the grind again.

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man!
    You got something nice going on here pal.
    I'm not sure about the hogarth thing tho.. Never really liked his stile. But hey, that's just my opinion. My dime goes to Giovanni Civardi and perhaps Loomis. Check them out if you haven't.

Keep it going strong!
    t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tetsuo - Thanks man! I go to columbia college in chicago. It's a pretty nice school, but expensive! Thanks again for the kind words.

tigermilk - Thank you as well...I had a loomis book when I was younger, but I seemed to have lost it some time ago...I'm going to check out him again as well as Civardi. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ok...I wanted to continue working on the diver thing I posted awhile back, but I guess I lost the originals w/ layers so I'm doing a total repaint (kinda) working off of the small jpeg version I still had. Here is where I am so far (still have a ton of rendering to do and I need to add some color to the diver torso), but I am not at all confident w/ color, so if anyone could give me some crit on where I'm at, as well as some advice color wise, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...here is the finished diver painting...I know the color scheme is rather iffy, but it is for a cd booklet, and everybody digs the colors as is, so they are staying I guess. The thing is a 1 fold down the middle...you get the idea. Another guy is doing the layout...I will post the finished product sometime, perhaps.

foldcover front and back
    sketchbook 2nd try

foldcover inside
    sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff, man! Very interesting ideas and neat rendering style! I like the color stuff a lot. The lion with wings, that's really nice as well. Seems like you do a lot of doodlin' like myself. Not to many clear directions. Heh. But we have fun, huh? My only advice is to keep up those studies. Some face/head stuff would probably help as well as some of yours look a little wonky at times. Draw some from life as well! Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome shit all around, i'm especially drawn to the concept of the gravestone, really cool idea and excellent drawing. That skull, and skele is awesome too.

I really like the diver as well, but i think you could get some atmosphere going as far as getting a feel of depth out of it, pretty easily with a bit of intelligent blur and etc. Same with the biological cockpit' up top (if you will) if you see in your varied-line drawing it seems to trail off towards the center, and that isn't translated through in the colored version. I think that would make those pieces, especially the diver really pop and bring out perhaps more of what you are already communicating. plus i think the tentacles seem to be a little under-treated...

really great shit though, just would love to see the finished product of adding in more atmosphere in a couple of those environments, and i'd love to see a more rendered version of the headstone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update!!

Alright dudes,
    it's my last semester at college so all I do is go to work or school, so I haven't updated this thing in a long time, but I've been doing alot of stuff and I have a few things in progress, so here's some crud feel free to leave helpful commentary!

this one is another panel for short film class project..the top right corner is blank because it's a closeup panning POV shot and he scans down, then right. The style was intended to be a little looser and cartoony, and it's a paint over of a rough pencil drawing I was given, so I did the best I could with it...I think it turned out decently and I learned alot of things while doing it, I think if I had to do it over right now I could make it way better, but no time!! *woops I just noticed this is an older version, you can see some blatantly sloppy bits on it, but I fixed them for the final version...I will see if I can find it at school, either way I know my director has it
    sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks for checking out my sketchbook!

here are a couple snapshots of a model I am making for my individual senior project. Short film about 30-0 seconds long. I will post better pics once I finish the textures as they are still quite rough at the moment. After that i will rig and animate this damn thing. Also, I am still working on the hair, if I cant get it to look good I will just make her effing bald
    sketchbook 2nd try

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fatkid, thank you for the kind words I am about to return the favor and check out your stuff
    I just thought of another thing I could post up here, but it's a link to a flash animation. This is SUPER rough shit but in my final project I am combining a 3D main character and some props/environments with 2d matte backgrounds and another character animated in 2D using flash. The basic idea is this 2D beast is chasing the 3D hottie in a futuristic back alley environment like cyberpunk style. Anyways here it is...I need to refine it (it's all bouncy & floaty) as I've never tried to animate a 4 legged creature running, let alone rushing towards the foreground.

*OK, the link doesnt seem to work, you need to copy and paste the URL into your browser...sorry!
    http://www.freewebs.com/illuminatirock/dogtest02.swf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update!!

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted a sketchbook entry. This is mostly due to me being very busy with school....I graduate in a few days! This means that I will have a ton of stuff soon including short animations and what not. Here is a screen shot of the set of my personal senior film. I have almost finished lighting it. Some of the textures are still temporary. The film will be comprised of both an animated 3D character and a 2D (flash) character. I am going for a slightly stylized cartoony (without looking goofy), but very 3D and tactile look. I am almost done with the animation of both, and shots of the model, etc. will be posted shortly. Please feel free to comment/crit. Thanks!

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a render w/ the model included....yeah the eyes are crazy. I am trying to fix that.

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should say that all models were created, rigged and animated using maya. Texture work done in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

nice update, love the freaky animation.

Hey congrads on graduating, good luck to you in future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

couple things...

Hey everyone. I'm very busy trying to generate some content for my demo reel (I just graduated w/ a cg animation degree, and I need a job I just subscribed to www.3d.sk and want to try my hand at photo texturing. I am going for a basic ww2 US soldier. I will be modelling him in maya. Here is the model sheet so far. It's pretty rough, but since I will be modelling it myself I don't need it to be super detailed. I will give him a rifle and I'm thinking of maybe giving him a rucksack as well. If anybody has any tips as far as things I could change/add to make it look more historically accurate, I would really appreciate a heads up. Also, other general crit is welcome as always. I've got another character like 90% complete and I will be posting some screenshots of that pretty soon as well as updates of this guy. Thanks!!!!!!

ww2 solider:
    sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'll also add this flyer design I did recently using that tombstone thing I posted a ways up...it's pretty much just a doodle and a manipulated image of a tree. I added another guy (from the original) for effect. I can't say I'm much of a designer, but here it is anyway. Thanks!!!

sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feb. updates...

I need to do more figure drawing, so here's a start...

Today's figure studies (used ref for some, not all):
    sketchbook 2nd try

and some randomness...
    More monster plane quick concepts, done in photoshop:
    sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks for taking the time to check out my sketchbook...I know I update slow as molasses, and it's kind of a jumble of random stuff, but I appreciate any comments/crit you might have!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the figure anatomy stuff, the soldier illustration is really nice. please keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one more...quick photoshop doodle, so there's not much of a background or anything...
    deep seamonster
    sketchbook 2nd try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktwin
    I really like the figure anatomy stuff, the soldier illustration is really nice. please keep posting
    Darktwin - Thanks man, I will keep posting...I need to do more sketching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the art. Props ...

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.